University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences - Des Moines Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading up on this school and I like it very much. I'd like to hear from current or past students about what your impressions are of the school. How are the facilities? Is there an affiliated hospital with it where students do rotations? Is the atmosphere very cut-throat? Also, in this book, it says that 1/2 of all returned secondaries are granted an interview. Is this true? Also, of those that get an interview, is it true that somewhere in the neighborhood of 80% of those folks get accepted? I'm curious because I like Des Moines as a potential place to live, but I'm intrigued by the school itself. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Before I can put my $0.02 in, I wanted to make sure you were talking about DMUCOMS (Des Moines University). The damn school has changed its name about seven times, and I'm making sure you aren't talking about two schools (UHS and DMU).

Sorry for the confusion.

Yes. I apologize. DMU it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I'll be going there this August, and I have to say that once I got accepted there after the interview, I started turning down other interviews. I really liked the school. If you search around these posts for the threads "DMU is a wonderful school" and "Rank the top ten osteopathic schools," you'll find a bunch of discussion about the good, the bad, and the ugly of DMU.

But I loved it. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

probably much of what I'm going to say, I've already said on other threads... but I've got nothing but time, so here it goes:
1. DMU is not Harvard, nor is it by any means the worst school.
2. I am confident that DMU is going to give me the necessary tools that I need to get into whatever residency I decide to pursue.
3. DMU has its problems (often over-exaggerated on other threads), but the university really does listen to the students and has thus far been very consistent in working with us to make positive changes.
4. As I am on the admissions committee, If you recieve an invitation to interview, it means that they feel that you have the academic standards to handle med school. The purpose of the interview is to get to know the applicant as a person and if they (the applicant) is someone that we would want as a colleague (sp?)
5. I personally love the school, but can't stand Iowa... sorry, I'm a big city boy.
6. The only competition you will face here is against yourself. What you get on a test is what YOU get... no curves, etc.
7. Yes, there are gunners. you'll never get away from that.
8. Of the 202 students in my class, I feel comfartable calling at least 100 of them my friends, only about 5 people I can't stand.
9. You really should apply to other schools just to see what else is out there... personal opinion.
10. feel free to e-mail me with more specific questions or concerns.

Joshua Smith D.O. '04
[email protected]

P.s.: are you interviewing for D.O. '05 or next year???

Josh, you did it again.... great summary.

Atlas, I don't think Des Moines grants interviews to half of the those who get secondaries... please correct me if I'm wrong. I do know that DMU is selective in who to interview.

I'm heading there this Tuesday to start my acclimation to Iowa.... eek, I heard summers are really humid.... I'm sure it won't be the Bay Area (California)!!!!

DMU is a great school, those heading that way.... I'll see you there!

I have a book written by the Princeton review and it says under "Admissions" that "approx. half of all applicants who return secondaries are invited to interview." Take it for what it's worth.

Peace

Thanx for the info Atlas.... I hope you apply to DMU. It is a very nice place, though I've only visited three times. I'm sure I'll post more things about the school during my first year there. Good Luck to you.... Later

Popoy, If you need to be shown around the area then give me a shout and I or some others will hook you up and show you the ropes. Ryan Johnson
D.O.-2004
515-953-4538
[email protected]

I have heard the DMU accepts dyslexic students. Do they have a special program to assist them?

uhhm...call me a bit crazy...but i think that all schools accept dyslexic students...they have to....if they don;t that is a discrimination....

Why'd the school change its name?

ryanpj,.... THANKS A MILLION.... I might just take you up on that offer. Hospitality is just one of many attributes that me to DMU. Can't wait to start!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
....many attributes that attracted me to DMU....

opps, sorry, a little too early in CA for me.... Been packing the car all night to go to DMU tomorrow afternoon.... Long drive ahead!!! YEE HAW!!! :cool:

Every School excepts students with learning disabilities (dyslexia, etc.). In fact, during an interview, it can't even be brought up unless the interviewing student brings it up... I recently interviewed a student who fit into this case. I know that DMU has at least two people in student services or some other dept. who work with students with disabilities.
Popoy, give me a buzz when you get into town. I'm sure Dave and Rachael would love to see you again.
Josh Smith DO '04
(515) 255-6807

Thanks Josh.... I'll do just that, soon as I unpack and get things organize at my apartment. I'll give you guys a buzz and maybe we can grab dinner.... Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

I am in Des Moines!!! After 28hrs of driving I finally made it.... Later peeps....

Is it hard to get a residency after DMU?
Is there a lot of clinical exposure in
the third and fourth years?
Tim.

So how's it like there?

Thebeyonder, I can't answer your specific questions as I have not gone through rotations let alone start med school.

Wasabi, if your asking about Des Moines itself, I can say that its been great so far. Folks are nice and everything you need seems to be a walking or at least driving distance.

It seems quiet. Everyone seems to come out or go out on Friday and Sat nights. Parks are there for you to walk in, run, jog, whatever you please.

Weatherwise, it's pretty humid compared to what I was exposed to in the Bay Area, CA. It did rain here last night.

Anything else.... huh? I was not sure exact what you wanted to know Wasabi.... Ask away and I'll give you my perspective as a Californian who moved to Iowa.... :cool:

Life in Des Moines:
Summer: hot and humid... interesting as there is no large area of water anywhere near here
Winter: Cold and windy
Iowa has the third oldest population in the US (1=florida, 2=penn)
Your thrid and forth year are ALL clinical (no time spent in the classroom)... and everyone goe on to do a residency. In what field and where... sorry I don't know.
Josh Smith

I read some of that article on the Des Moines Register (newspaper) regarding how Iowa gets older and older... or at least has the highest pop'n of "older folks." It was interesting read though.... Hey, if any of you folks out there looking in to geriatric speciality sometime down the road.... Iowa might be a perfect place for you.... :D

What the heck happened over night.... Yesterday it was hot and humid, that night it rained, and today it was overcast with a few dropplets.... weather sure changes in Des Moines quickly.... Random postings...

Originally posted by Popoy:
•What the heck happened over night.... Yesterday it was hot and humid, that night it rained, and today it was overcast with a few dropplets.... weather sure changes in Des Moines quickly.... Random postings...•

Welcome to the Midwest. :D

And this week its supposed to be cold all week... next week: probably in the 90's!

Hey Atlas-

If you get an interview there, try to stay with a student. You will get the inside scoop every time. Save you some $$$, too.

When I went out to Des Moines I stayed with a student who gave me a tour of the school the day before my interview. That night he and a classmate demonstrated a variety of different OMT techniques to me and another candidate. I was super-impressed. This was the first DO school where I met students that were super-excited about what they were doing in OMT lab. That sold me on their program. I'll be there in the fall.

Hey Diesel,

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it. So, I'm guessing your impression of the school was a good one. Would you say that my interpretation of the admission protocol is correct? I mean, does the school interview alot of people like my book says? Can you give me your overall impression of how their admissions system works? I know that's kind of a bland question, but if you could do your best to answer it I'd appreciate it. Did you apply to other schools? Which ones? Any other acceptances? Thanks again.

Atlas

Atlas,

I have the same sentiments as dieselkid.... Anyway, the person who'd be able to answer your question is probably jsdmu.... He's a part of the admissions process. All he has to do is see this and I'm sure he'll give his two cents.

Anyway, when I stayed with a student around Des Moines he took me around the campus as well. The first thing I noticed was how there were students practicing OMM on each other all over campus especially around the student lounge area as well as the lobby of the academic and medical center.... It was much more enthusiasm about osteopathic medicine in general that I felt compared to LECOM (which you've posted about in a different trend) so if this is a factor then there's my impression of attitudes regarding OMM and osteo.

I was accepted to both LECOM and DMU and decided on DMU because of the wonderful experience I received during the interview and beyond.... that is, kept contact of the student host and folks on this forum.

I hope I don't sound like a sales man for DMU, but I do truly like my first impression of DMU.... We'll see during the years to come.

Keep on posting.... Later :cool:

Thanks again Popoy! What were your impressions about the campuses of the two schools (LECOM and DMU)? Which had the nicer campus and why? It sounds like DMU has the better student atmosphere and that's important. Thanks again.

Hey Atlas,

Sounds like you are seriously thinking about DMU.

Like popoy inferred- we are idle speculators. If you have detailed questions about the admissions process...talk to admissions- you don't have to give your name, necessarily. If jsdmu is on the admissions commitee- then he might have some insight to your questions.

When I inteviewed at DMU one statistic they threw out at us was that they were one of the largest medical schools DO & MD with 200+ seats (I think 4th, UHS-COM I believe is number 1). They, as a result have about 90 more seats to fill than the average med school (110 +/-). Thus, they grant more interviews.

I think that if you are invited for an interview your chances of getting in are pretty fair. This I found was pretty true of all the schools. From any schools' perspective it is a waste of their time to bring in non-qualified candidates for interviews.

With regards to my strategy to getting in, I applied to 18 DO schools (sorry TX). This was logistically a big headache and I used a huge EXCEL spreadsheet to keep track of what I was doing, etc. with each school. I highly recommend doing this. It paid off though...I got about 8 interviews, went to 6 and got 4 acceptances: DMU-OMC, AZCOM, UHS-COM, TOURO. As to why I chose DMU-OMC, please see my prior post.

My advice to you is to fill out any secondaries that are sent to you. Accept the interviews that are given (Don't worry about money now! Application fees & travel expenses are only a drop in the bucket!!)and don't get picky until you get your first acceptance. Only then can you breathe a sigh of relief and start comparing apples and oranges.

Best of luck with the "process",

-dieselkid

Atlas,

Here's a bit of my perspective with LECOM and DMU-OMC....

LECOM definitely showed a very professional atmosphere. This is probably because of their dress code. To gain access to the ONE building they have for med school you had to have an ID card scan it to get in and YOU HAVE to scan to go out for you to get in again. LECOM is very secure in that manner. LECOM also emphasized the research aspect of their school during my tour.... they also stated that if a first year student really wanted to get into research that they would more than happy to accommodate for that. So if research is your thing then LECOM maybe it for you.

Students at LECOM were very nice, nothing really that would turn me off. The main thing I felt was a factor in my decision to decline LECOM's invitation was that I felt the place was almost mechanical, in a way.... Hard to explain really.... They have a very, very, small library.... Trust me it was small. Lady in the bookstore snubbed(sp?) me a bit and even made a slight negative remark on how small everything is in LECOM (One building med school, library, bookstore, lobby area, etc).

Even my interview there was a bit more on the stiff side.... Meaning, they scrutinize more about what I read than scrutinize about who I am and what I have accomplished. I'm sure that others have experience something different.

I stayed after my interview for about an hour waiting for my ride to airport and my perspective on that was also good. I met three students in the "cafeteria" area selling cookies and many of them really like LECOM.... All of them were from nearby the area so that was a factor in their decision to go there. During my talk with them, some of the administrators went by and the students tried to introduce me and yet again I was snubbed and didn't even take time to make small talk about the school, administrators, etc. The person in the front desk though, I think her name was Carolyn, was very welcoming and helped me during my stay.... SO I think that that particular administrator must have been just buzzzy....

DMU-OMC, just today alone, when I went to admissions and bookstore, it was again a wonderful feeling. Though there was noone available in admissions at the moment I visited, other staff workers approached me and starting inquiring about me, my future in DMU and how I would have a wonderful time. They even took down what I needed to do so that I wouldn't have to stick around till Barbara came back from her break.... Just very welcoming....

IN the bookstore, there were two ladies in the front and they noticed my looking around.... One of them took the liberty to show me around ask what class I was which section of the bookstore would I most look into, the bargains, what books I should be reading already if I wanted to, etc.,etc.,etc,.... Again, very welcoming.

I even met one of the folks I met here in the forum.... ryanpj.... interesting how this world gets smaller through the access of the internet.... that's another issue.

Even during my quick run around the campus today, I was shown around by students.... Very nice, huh? During my interview, there were students who showed us around and we even had lunch with five of them.... Many of our questions were answered. They all acted like friends even though they were different class years.... after the lunch, the interviewees were to sit in the admission area till called.... guess what one of the students we had lunch with did? HE STAYED AROUND.... He said, that he remembered how grueling the process was and that he promised himself to help the interviewees as much as he could by sticking around and having random conversations with them to warm us up before the interview. His name was Chris.... Thanks to Chris, my interview when well....

It wasn't just Chris either, my host were great giving their inside scoop on DMU.... They even invited another student to give his perspective on things while I was there.... that other person is actually involved in SDN as well by the screen name jsdmu.... So once you get an interview... stay with a student it was simply wonderful.

DMU has definitely a better campus atmosphere compared to LECOM. I know LECOM is expanding but I'm not sure how much of that has been accomplished. Another thing about the LECOM campus is that the back of the current building is facing the street. In order to go in the front you have to go around.... A couple of my shuttle driver even said that they didn't know this place existed until me.... kinda turned me off a bit.... DMU is also constantly expanding their facilities, as well as their curriculum.... The campus is in front of Grand Avenue in full view.... very open.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure, after reading my comments, that my reason for attending DMU is everything above. A second oldest institution of osteopathic medicine, full of history, etc....

Read what dieselkid suggested about application, diesel's right on the money....

I hope I gave you enough of a perspectus on things, let me know if you need clarification.

I didn't have time to proofread this so excuse me for anything that may sound a bit incoherent or mispelled words....

Later....
:cool:

Hey Atlas-

Prior to interviews check this site out...it'll give you some sense of what to expect...however, take it with a grain of salt. You may not get asked these questions, but it's a good way to practice for getting those fabled ethics or open-ended questions.
http://www.interviewfeedback.com/

-dieselkid

Diesel,

Thank you. I appreciate your informative post. I have one question for you, though. You say don't worry about the $$ right now. But, what if you're broke as a joke, like I am, how do you come up with the thousands of $$ needed to get the job done? I have only about $1000 to my name. Where do I find the extra cash? My parents are divorced and won't help because they're strapped for cash too. What does a po' brotha do?! Please help with suggestions.

Thanks

Popoy,

Thank you for the long, descriptive post. That clarified alot actually. I was wondering about LECOMs one building atmosphere. I saw a picture and was wondering if that was all of it. I'm not real hot on that idea. Does anyone out there see the benefits of having the school that way? DMU sounds fabulous! I'd be honored to get an interview there and possibly earn an acceptance. You got me all excited about it from your post. Why does LECOM have the place on lockdown? Is it in a bad neighborhood or something? That seems inefficient. Plus, if the library is as small as you say it is, that'll be tough on students and their learning processes too. I guess, hopefully, if I get interviews at these schools, I'll be able to check them out for myself and see if they're right for me. Thanks again.

Hey all! OK, down to business:
1) If you are granted an interview, it means that the powers that be already think you have what it takes to handle the workload... the purpose of the interview is to see if you will fit into our little community, but most importantly: TO GET TO KNOW YOU AS A PERSON!
2) An interview does NOT guarantee you a seat, however.
3) IMHO: the best thing about DMU is its students. Of the 200+ students in my class, there are only about 5 people I don't care for... thats pretty impressive.
4) Apply to as many schools as your bank account allows... give yourself options.
5) Popoy (JPdmu) for DO '05 class president!

You're most welcome, Atlas.... I wish I could help you with you finances, but I'm pretty much tight on that area of life right now as well....

Look into some scholarships that might help you with the application.... I'm not exactly sure if there is any out there. You can always borrow money from someone, I guess.... I'm running dry on ideas.... How much does it cost now to apply to schools?

As for the other subject, definitely visiting the university will show you whether or not it suits you.... You can't just rely on other people's views. Maybe LECOM would be a bigger school when you visit them next year during you interviews?! Who knows....

Anyway, if I find out about any financial help I'll let you know. If there are any other people out there that can help a po'brother out.... POST UP!!!

Atlas you seem to be a good person and I wish you luck in the app process.... Maybe we'll meet next year, if and when you decide to go to DMU.

Popoy,

Thank you. You've been a great help. I'm noy sure what I'm going to do about financing my applications. That's why I'm applying to schools in the midwest. I can't afford to fly out west or east for an interview. I CAN hop in my car and drive 4 or 5 hours for one though. You get my drift? I'm going to apply to ALL midwestern schools MD and DO. I have about 11 schools total on my list and the bill (estimated) run close to $1100. I have a $1000..anyone wanna put up the other $100?! :) Just kidding. I'll try to squeeze some money out of relatives, girlfriends, etc..anyone who will loan me cash! The $1100 is exclusively for APPLICATIONS! That figure doesn't factor the cash needed for trips and any other expenses. Maybe I'll sell my car!!! That'll give me a few extra bones! :)

The answer is right in front of you Atlas... time to start pimpin'!!!

pimpin's an idea.... Deuce Bigalow Male Gigalow did it.... I guess he was the one being pimped....

Atlas, just think about this.... once you're a medical student you'll be able to get loans thus pay off some of your "loaners."

DMU has a student host program that can host you're stay during your interview here.... I'll be doing that for next years class. That's option is open to you with DMU-OMC at least....

Yeah guys! Pimpin aint easy though! lol. I mean..it sounds good in theory. I would love to pimp a few of my loved ones for some cash with "promises" of paying it back. Most of my family doesn't trust each other, so that's why no one will "LOAN" me the $. They think LOAN = GIVE. Not the case here. They don't understand. I guess I'll have to pimp multiple girlfriends for cash! That way..I can keep my car too! Life is great afterall! PIMPIN' AINT EASY!!!!!!! :)

Hey Atlas-

Pimping? Cmon. It's rough trying to gather resources for the process. Here are some ideas for you:

1) Scholarships- Do you work, will your employer give you a send-off gift?
2) Loans- Relatives, banks, girlfriends, ex-girlfriends, buddies, etc. If you become a doctor...you will be able to pay them back (plus interest, too).
3) I know that AACOMAS and the MCAT waive or decrease application fees to disadvantaged students....do you qualify. Some of the schools you apply to might do the same.
4) Who knows...maybe some of the schools will fly you out for interviews if you explain your situation.
5) Be wary of credit cards...could help...but, be careful.

Anyway, my experience is if you want it to happen, you can figure something out. Don't do anything illegal though. That will screw you for getting financial aid. Under the new Bush administration, some students have gotten some real suprises...

Walk the straight and narrow.

I would recommend talking to your premed advisor and see what they have to say.

-dieselkid

Diesel,

Thanks for your post. That waiver you talked about seems great, but I'm not sure if I qualify. What protocol is used to establish if someone is disadvantaged. I could go on and on about how I feel I'm disadvantaged, but I'll save it for the preacher. If you want, I can post why I consider myself to be disadvantaged. I never considered pursuing that route though. What do you mean by the "Bush administration" thing? Is that good or bad for people like me?

Thanks again

Try calling AACOMAS, I'm sure they'll help ya out.... Otherwise, I'm sure there's some type of literature on it....

I thought I was not going to see the full 4 SEASONS in a matter of a week, but what in the world!!! IT FREAKIN' HAILED big pellets of ice for about a solid 2mins today in Good old Des Moines.... YEE HAW!!! Hope noone's car got dented!!! :D

It's about time this message got bumped. :D

Does anyone know, if what I say today in front of the academic center the commencement ceremony?!

My bad.... I meant "...what I saw today...." This crummy weather's getting to me.... BRING IN THE SUN!!! :cool:

For those of you interested.... What I saw the other day was the traditional get together with families of the graduating class.... It was so rainy yesterday that they had it in door instead.... Sucks for them!!!

Today was the graduation/commencement ceremony at the Polk County Civic center.... or something like that.... It's in Downtown Des Moines. No wonder I saw all those postings on DMU-OMC posted on the light post.

THE SUN HAS COME OUT!!! Hell ya'!!!

.... Damn, it's disappearin' again....

Later peeps,
Popoy :cool: