University of Pennsylvania Postbac alumni- I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fochman

Reaction score
I was recently accepted to Upenn's core health postbac program and would love to hear from any alumni about their experiences. Was it a great experience and helpful on the path to medical school? What are the best aspects of the Upenn Program? What are the worst parts of the program? How are the professors? Did the program successfully prepare you for the MCAT? Did you take your classes on Upenn's main campus? And lastly, would you recommend this program to people?

Thanks so much- sorry for asking so many questions

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently accepted to Upenn's core health postbac program and would love to hear from any alumni about their experiences. Was it a great experience and helpful on the path to medical school? What are the best aspects of the Upenn Program? What are the worst parts of the program? How are the professors? Did the program successfully prepare you for the MCAT? Did you take your classes on Upenn's main campus? And lastly, would you recommend this program to people?

Thanks so much- sorry for asking so many questions
I personally won't recommend the program. Aside from the Penn name, the program has a lot of drawbacks. The pre-health program is under LPS, which doesn't have access to the same professors from the rest of Penn CAS. There are literally the same teachers teaching multiple subjects and the choice of teachers is nonexistent. So if you decide to withdraw for whatever reason, you're going to have to retake with that same teacher down the line.

I'm just starting my post bacc journey so I can't tell you about MCAT preparations. I will tell you that I'm seriously considering going through another program or even doing my own post bacc.

Classes are online for spring 2021 and the foreseeable future. Once in person, your classes will be in the LPS building away from the CAS students.

Finally, you'll get zero support if you need help with academics or advising (useless if you ask me). I had to call the med schools directly to find out some pretty basic information.

They did a great job marketing the program, but I now see that it's really a moneymaker for Penn more than anything.

Hope this helps with your decision. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user