University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Application Submitted! Good luck to everyone this cycle!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this not the 2015-2016 KYCOM thread?
Whoops!
I forgot I posted here and when the alert came up I automatically assumed it was last year's thread, my bad!
Ignore me and good luck this cycle!

Reactions: 1 user
Applying, good luck everyone!

Applying here as well! One of my top choices

I'm starting there this fall, so while I don't know much yet as the cycle goes on I will be more than happy to help you all in any way I can.

I'm starting there this fall, so while I don't know much yet as the cycle goes on I will be more than happy to help you all in any way I can.

What can I do to prepare for interviews here if I get one?

Also what are my chances for this school with a 29 and 3.7+ gpa?

What can I do to prepare for interviews here if I get one?

Also what are my chances for this school with a 29 and 3.7+ gpa?
The interviews are pretty laid back.
Be prepared to explain why osteopathic medicine/why medicine.
If there are any weaknesses in your application be prepared to discuss them, they will bring them up.

Your chances are probably pretty good with those stats, just make sure your secondaries fit with their mission. I know people with much higher stats than mine that got rejected pre and post interview for not fitting the mission.

The interviews are pretty laid back.
Be prepared to explain why osteopathic medicine/why medicine.
If there are any weaknesses in your application be prepared to discuss them, they will bring them up.

Your chances are probably pretty good with those stats, just make sure your secondaries fit with their mission. I know people with much higher stats than mine that got rejected pre and post interview for not fitting the mission.

So being raised in a super rural town will help then?

So being raised in a super rural town will help then?
I believe it will help, as long as you've done work within those communities and have demonstrated examples of commitment to that population in your secondaries and interview

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the latest average GPA and MCAT of accepted KYCOM applicants? In 2011, the average GPA and MCAT were 3.30 and 22 respectively. I assume that they're a bit higher now.

What's the latest average GPA and MCAT of accepted KYCOM applicants? In 2011, the average GPA and MCAT were 3.30 and 22 respectively. I assume that they're a bit higher now.

DO admissions are SKYROCKETING like crazy. Its beyond absurd. Its like a 24 now in just a few years and a 3.4 gpa.

I really want to see the 2015 entering class DO statistics for every DO school.

Have secondaries been sent out yet from KYCOM yet?

To anyone who has gotten in or applied, how does KYCOM view out of state students?

To anyone who has gotten in or applied, how does KYCOM view out of state students?
They have no problem with them. Ky residents might have an easier time getting an interview but they're open to anyone, I would say it's about a 55/45 OOS/IS split looking at my accepted class, but I can't find exact numbers after 2011

Applied here last cycle. This place has a terrible admissions office. None of my calls/emails were ever returned. I submitted a secondary (most expensive of the cycle) and then never heard another word from them. I didn't even get a rejection notification!! Will not be applying here again.

Applied here last cycle. This place has a terrible admissions office. None of my calls/emails were ever returned. I submitted a secondary (most expensive of the cycle) and then never heard another word from them. I didn't even get a rejection notification!! Will not be applying here again.

No secondary and no contact>? What were your stats?

If they were good enough to get a secondary, this is alarming.

And on the opposite side of the coin I had a wonderful experience from the admissions office. Any email was responded to within 2 days, phone calls answered/returned.
Granted I didn't spam them, had only 2 phone calls and maybe 2 emails throughout the cycle? They treated me really well.

No secondary and no contact>? What were your stats?

If they were good enough to get a secondary, this is alarming.

No I submitted a secondary. 26 /3.4. From Rural area of southern Alabama. I called probably 4 times total this whole previous cycle and sent two unreplied emails.

Check previous years threads, this is common. Every other school I applied to sent me updates and responded to my emails/calls. Pretty downright unprofessional.

No I submitted a secondary. 26 /3.4. From Rural area of southern Alabama. I called probably 4 times total this whole previous cycle and sent two unreplied emails.

Check previous years threads, this is common. Every other school I applied to sent me updates and responded to my emails/calls. Pretty downright unprofessional.

Thats the South for you. lol.

Hi everyone, has anyone received a secondary from KYCOM lately? If anyone can share the secondary essay questions from last year, I will highly appreciate it :) thank you.

Hi everyone, has anyone received a secondary from KYCOM lately? If anyone can share the secondary essay questions from last year, I will highly appreciate it :) thank you.
Still no word from hear yet.

Hi, everyone! I don't know anything about how the secondary applications are going, but I will be a 2nd year student at KYCOM this fall if you have any questions! :) Best of luck to the entering class this year, and those who will be applying for next year!

Last edited:
UPDATE:

I wrote earlier about how I had received no contact from this school throughout the cycle .

Just wanted to let everyone know they were kind enough to send me an email today saying the class is full and inviting me to apply again- 3 weeks after a new cycle opens

Communication folks.

UPDATE:

I wrote earlier about how I had received no contact from this school throughout the cycle .

Just wanted to let everyone know they were kind enough to send me an email today saying the class is full and inviting me to apply again- 3 weeks after a new cycle opens

Communication folks.

what does that mean? Apply again next year (June, 2016). I got the same email...

UPDATE:

Communication folks.
Can't say I've gotten that e-mail yet? So are they saying apply next year?

UPDATE:

Communication folks.
Got it too....thanks Ronnie lol

Hoping to get an II here. Still way behind that, waiting on AACOMAS to verify me. Can we submit a primary app to this school before we get a DO letter? Will they send a secondary without it? II without it? :shrug:

Hoping to get an II here. Still way behind that, waiting on AACOMAS to verify me. Can we submit a primary app to this school before we get a DO letter? Will they send a secondary without it? II without it? :shrug:
You don't have to have a DO letter here but it's highly recommended.
I believe most DO schools don't require the letters with the primary but rather the secondary.

It specifically says on the CIB book (page 93): http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/cib/2016_cib.pdf?sfvrsn=16

"Supplemental Application Requirements
1. Supplemental Application.
2. Letters of recommendation from two science faculty members or a pre-medical committee.
3. Letter from an osteopathic physician who is a member of the AOA."
And their website says:
  1. A letter of recommendation from each of the following sources:
    1. A physician (preferably a D.O. who is a member of the AOA);
    2. A science faculty member who is familiar with the applicant's academic work; and
    3. A premedical source (a premedical advisor or committee). An applicant may also choose to have two science faculty members to submit a letter of recommendation if a premedical source is not applicable.
I personally did have a DO letter, but I was under the impression by their website, even when I applied, that DO was preferred but they'll accept MD

Edit I know AOA membership isn't required, my DO didn't have it.

Does anyone know if they screen applicants before sending secondary invites? I submitted my primary on 7-14 (not verified yet) and just received an invite to complete my secondary! Does everyone who applied there receive the invite even before verification?

Last edited:
same here, now I am OVERWHELMED.:whoa:

Yeah I think they wanted to get orientation up and running before looking at next years class, we started yesterday. Congrats on getting secondaries. :)

Anyone experiencing problems with payment submission? I submitted payment, got the receipt, and clicked "continue" but this part still remains "incomplete" on the secondary application, preventing me from submitting. Any solutions or ideas?

Same thing happened to me. I called the office and they fixed it over the phone