University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone happen to know if there are any other interviews after the April 1st date? I've been waiting and haven't heard back yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think I read the KYCOM has interviews today? Good luck to those interviewing!

Unless they add something they've told us today was the final interview day.

And it was great meeting you all today!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many people are typically accepted into next years class and how many of those eventually move into this years? Thanks!

Does anyone know how many people are typically accepted into next years class and how many of those eventually move into this years? Thanks!
It's hard to give an exact number because they don't do it by numbers. They don't have a quota to accept, if they like you they'll accept you.

But not everyone gets accepted into this year's class, but many do.

FYI, I know of a someone who will be declining her acceptance to KYCOM, so a spot will be opening up!

Just got home from my trip. I really liked Pikeville. It was the students at the interview who really sold me on it. You guys love where you are and it shows. Thanks for being there for us to pick your brains!

Just got home from my trip. I really liked Pikeville. It was the students at the interview who really sold me on it. You guys love where you are and it shows. Thanks for being there for us to pick your brains!
Haha glad we don't come off as people who hate their lives. Cause I really don't.
But I wish you the best of luck!

I received a phone call but was in an anatomy lab and couldn't get to my phone. Tried calling the back but no dice. Do they only call for acceptances/will they try again later?

I received a phone call but was in an anatomy lab and couldn't get to my phone. Tried calling the back but no dice. Do they only call for acceptances/will they try again later?
You got the call then it's an acceptance.

Reactions: 1 users
Id check your status/email to see if you've received anything

Members don't see this ad :)
Any current students (@samac or @fobaby19 ) do you guys know anything about the Anthony and Whitman apartments? If you could PM or write on here me that would be great!!

You kids still posting in here?

I'm elated that there is a bar just a stones throw away from the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if KYCOM uses class capture or anything like that?

can we watch it at 1.5x or is 1x the only option??

You can watch it at 2x if you watch on your iPad on full screen and hold down the fast forward button. This only works for the first recorded hour, but since most of your classes are only an hour that doesn't matter. It's not really a problem until second semester second year!

Is anyone else having a problem when you go to pay your acceptance fee? There is no link on the admissions offer page like there is supposed to be.

Is anyone else having a problem when you go to pay your acceptance fee? There is no link on the admissions offer page like there is supposed to be.

Please correct me if I am not answering what you're asking, but in the Admissions Offer page, there should be a box that lists the deposit fee of $1000 and the option to pay or decline at the very bottom after a copy of your acceptance letter. That should link you to the payment page.

It took about 2 days for mine to pop up!
I got paranoid and emailed Joel and he fixed it for me!

You can watch it at 2x if you watch on your iPad on full screen and hold down the fast forward button. This only works for the first recorded hour, but since most of your classes are only an hour that doesn't matter. It's not really a problem until second semester second year!
Yeah but on your iPad you just see the professor talking not the PowerPoint. It's a pretty crappy system.

Hi,
I am actually interviewing on April 29th!!
Hopefully I will be able to get in for this year.
I know it is a late interview...fingers crossed!
Let me know if anyone else is interviewing that day too!

It is interesting that they opened another interview date. I interviewed on April 1st and was accepted into next years class since 2020 is already full. Makes me think that the waitlist i.e. class of 2021 is shorter than I thought and this is why they are opening an additional interview date. @samac What is your take on this?
Hi,
I am actually interviewing on April 29th!!
Hopefully I will be able to get in for this year.
I know it is a late interview...fingers crossed!
Let me know if anyone else is interviewing that day too!

Last edited:
Can anyone shed light on the happenings during orientation week?? anxiously looking forward to it and eager for any details!!

And their website says:
  1. A letter of recommendation from each of the following sources:
    1. A physician (preferably a D.O. who is a member of the AOA);
    2. A science faculty member who is familiar with the applicant's academic work; and
    3. A premedical source (a premedical advisor or committee). An applicant may also choose to have two science faculty members to submit a letter of recommendation if a premedical source is not applicable.
I personally did have a DO letter, but I was under the impression by their website, even when I applied, that DO was preferred but they'll accept MD

Edit I know AOA membership isn't required, my DO didn't have it.

I have a question for you. I graduated in 2014 and have been working in a hospital for the past two years. I went back to school part time (4 classes over two semesters) but I don't feel confident in the letters of recommendations from the professors. One has already submitted but the others I don't trust to write a great one (i mean how could they, they only knew me for one semester). On the other hand, I looked at the recommendations the doctor's I worked with and they were awesome. Do you think it would be okay to submit two doctors (including one D.O.) and once science professor? My school doesn't have a committee.

I have a question for you. I graduated in 2014 and have been working in a hospital for the past two years. I went back to school part time (4 classes over two semesters) but I don't feel confident in the letters of recommendations from the professors. One has already submitted but the others I don't trust to write a great one (i mean how could they, they only knew me for one semester). On the other hand, I looked at the recommendations the doctor's I worked with and they were awesome. Do you think it would be okay to submit two doctors (including one D.O.) and once science professor? My school doesn't have a committee.

I was also a few years out of school with underwhelming academic letters, no committee, and strong professional letters. I had to chase down professors who barely remembered me and beg them to write me underwhelming rec letters. Easily the worst part of the app process so I feel for you.

My advice would be to make sure you meet the letter requirements, whatever they are, so they have to review your application. It's usually academic letters. If they suck, they suck. At least they're there so admissions can check those boxes. But also include both or all of your professional rec letters. Those will matter as much or more. Even if they say only submit one, submit them both.

Easy for me to say now but don't agonize over the letters. They don't need to be great. Just good enough. There are lots of people who are/were in the same situation and plenty of them were accepted.

Hi I interviewed at KYCOM in december and was placed on the hold list. I have a couple of questions, Ive submitted a letter of intent as well as updates to my application (IE published research article, Higher GPA, etc) but is the hold list different from the wait list? And when will I find out if I got rejected? Also it seems that people on the waitlist are getting accepted into next years class. Im honestly just confused at how pikevilles hold list works. So can anyone shed some light.

I think that two letters of physician letters would be excellent. You also are required to have two letters of rec from professors. Many schools do not even review your letters until right before or after your interview.

Hi I interviewed at KYCOM in december and was placed on the hold list. I have a couple of questions, Ive submitted a letter of intent as well as updates to my application (IE published research article, Higher GPA, etc) but is the hold list different from the wait list? And when will I find out if I got rejected? Also it seems that people on the waitlist are getting accepted into next years class. Im honestly just confused at how pikevilles hold list works. So can anyone shed some light.
What did the email say when they initially contacted your about your status post-interview?

What did the email say when they initially contacted your about your status post-interview?
It said "We wish to inform you that you have been placed on the hold list for possible future consideration for the class of 2020, classes begin july 25, 2016" and a bunch of please update us if anything changes

I haven't received a rejection letter and i checked my status online. Im just confused on how the hold list works or if the hold list is considered the wait list or what the heck is going on.

You have to have 2 academic letters, but it won't hurt to have the extra physician letter either, good luck!
It said "We wish to inform you that you have been placed on the hold list for possible future consideration for the class of 2020, classes begin july 25, 2016" and a bunch of please update us if anything changes

I haven't received a rejection letter and i checked my status online. Im just confused on how the hold list works or if the hold list is considered the wait list or what the heck is going on.
Hold list isn't the same as wait list. I was placed on it and removed in Feburary by being accepted. Their wait list is an acceptance to class of 2021 which is all you can hope for now. They can chose to accept or reject you at any time, unfortunately.

Edited for right quote

Last edited:
I might be worth calling Ronnie for some clarification

orientation week?
They'll let you know what you need to know. They wouldn't give us any info other than what time to be there and then we were given an official schedule. I'm not sure what im allowed to tell you.

They'll let you know what you need to know. They wouldn't give us any info other than what time to be there and then we were given an official schedule. I'm not sure what im allowed to tell you.

Sounds vaguely sinister.

I put my deposit in for Class of 2021. I am wondering if in addition I should send them an email of my decision as well. What did you guys do when you accepted?

I put my deposit in for Class of 2021. I am wondering if in addition I should send them an email of my decision as well. What did you guys do when you accepted?

I didn't send an email; just sent in my deposit and Joel started sending info for the school email, background check, etc.

Did anyone go to hillbilly days?
I did. It was not as big as I thought but it was a good time.
Deposit is all you need.

Does UPIKE have a student gym or it just the YMCA and anytime fitness?

If we do get the call to move into the class of 2020 after being originally accepted into the class of 2021, are we required to enter the class of 2020? Or can we say no and still have our spot in the class of 2021 entering July 2017?

Does anyone know the exact model of laptop and iPad we get?

If we do get the call to move into the class of 2020 after being originally accepted into the class of 2021, are we required to enter the class of 2020? Or can we say no and still have our spot in the class of 2021 entering July 2017?

This is something that the interviewers brought up in my interview last year, and I was told that I was not required to take the spot if offered since my acceptance was for a spot in the class that started in July 2016. They said some want the year off. You may want to double check to make sure that nothing has changed in a year. I never got the call so I did not have to worry about it.

You're not required to take the spot. I know people in my class who were offered last minute spots for class of 2018 who didn't want to rush.
Does anyone know the exact model of laptop and iPad we get?
I'm going to assume you'll get the iPad Air like we did.
Would we be able to sell them if we already have our own laptop/iPad?
I mean you do what you want but I highly recommend against it. They come with support from the tech team and apple care if you break it. If something goes wrong you're much better off having your school issued iPad than your own. I would sell the other one and keep the one they give you, though I kept my old one for fun and have all my serious stuff on my school iPad.