University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what type of labtop are we given? It's not a macbook, correct?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when the academic calander will be updated? Also, I currently have a Saturday-Sunday surgical mission trip booked during the week of Sept 3-11. Labor Day is the Monday of that week so I would only need to miss 4 days of class but I was wondering what the chances are that I will actually be able to go on that trip?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when the academic calander will be updated? Also, I currently have a Saturday-Sunday surgical mission trip booked during the week of Sept 3-11. Labor Day is the Monday of that week so I would only need to miss 4 days of class but I was wondering what the chances are that I will actually be able to go on that trip?
I would cancel the trip. I don't think you realize how much being gone for 4 days would hurt you. You don't know how hard it is. Also attendance is required for your first semester.

The academic calendar isn't finalized yet but we'll probably be out for Labor Day, the third Monday of October through that Wednesday, Labor Day, 3 days for thanksgiving

So I'm working through the background check website, and it has a section about a Rabies shot. is that a requirement for this school??

How does the process work about selecting where you get to rotate (lottery, class rank)?

Has anyone heard back from the April 29th interview date?

Would we be able to sell them if we already have our own laptop/iPad?
I sold both my laptop and iPad as I already had both. I've not once regretted it either. The iPad is a lot easier to sell since it'll be brand new in the box when you get it. The laptop, however, will have already been set up by the school so that requires some workaround. The best solution I came up with was to install the free OS upgrade, and selecting the option to erase everything when you do so. You'll get more money for the iPad than the laptop though (probably...)

They usually don't have the calendar ready until orientation week. This is what we were told:
First day of class: April 1
Block 1 exam: August 29/30
Convocation: September 1
Labor day: September 5
White Coat Ceremony: September 10
CME Weekend (don't know what that is): September 9-11
Fall break: September 19-21
Block 2 exam: October 6/7
Block 3 exam: November 7/8
Thanksgiving break: November 23-25
Block 4 exam: December 9/12

Just a note, usually block 1 has first years first (i.e. August 29) and second years second (August 30), and then you alternate every other (so second years would take block 2 first, first years would take it second, etc.)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the exact model of laptop and iPad we get?
You usually get the iPad generation that is once removed from current. My class (2018) got the last version prior to the air. The class of 2019 got the airs. I'm betting you'll also get the iPad air, and if they have a new version come out before you start in July, you'll get the previous version. Hopefully that makes sense...

Edit: The laptop is usually the Dell Latitude e(some number like 5450). They're not super fancy by any means. I didn't use mine. I know a lot of people who do, but I also know quite a few people who already had or purchased their own laptop.

Can anyone shed light on the happenings during orientation week?? anxiously looking forward to it and eager for any details!!

Orientation week is pretty standard. You'll meet your classmates, get to know a bit of the workings of the school, get introduced to all the faculty members, etc. We had a talk on the history of osteopathy with Dr. Buser. They'll tell you what's expected of you (professionalism-wise, class attendance, that kind of stuff), what to do if you get in trouble with the police (not kidding. I don't know anyone who has ever needed this, but they still have the public safety officer come talk with everyone. They also tell you about any other public safety stuff you'd be interested in.) You'll get your iPads and laptops and be briefed on how to use them. Some of the SGA members will give you a demo as to what apps are useful (like Notability, etc.). You'll have a lunch meeting with your "big sib" on the last day- they'll usually tell you a lot more about specific classes and such, and a lot of them pass down their notes to their littles.) You'll also have a scheduled time for drug testing. They also do a "fashion show" to demonstrate what is acceptable to wear to class under the dress code.

There are also planed optional activities in the evenings and over the weekends that a lot of people go to (bowling, volunteering, etc.) I don't know exactly what's on the agenda for you all, and this was very much a brain-vomit list, since my orientation was almost two years ago. But hopefully that addresses some of your qualms. Let me know if you have any other specific questions!

Just YMCA and anytime fitness.
I believe a cross fit gym is opening?

The crossfit gym is open! I've not been but some people in my class have; they seem to like it.
Otherwise, yes, just the YMCA and "Any Hour" fitness. I thought I would switch to Any Hour fitness this year because the Y is a little meh, but I don't go to the gym enough to make the extra driving worth it (I live super close to the Y.) Instead, I brought my bike trainer so I could bike indoors (and watch Netflix :)) and I have some decent 5-10 mile running routes around town that does the trick.

Also, if anyone is desperately searching for an indoor pool: there isn't one :(

Reactions: 2 users
Orientation week is pretty standard. You'll meet your classmates, get to know a bit of the workings of the school, get introduced to all the faculty members, etc. We had a talk on the history of osteopathy with Dr. Buser. They'll tell you what's expected of you (professionalism-wise, class attendance, that kind of stuff), what to do if you get in trouble with the police (not kidding. I don't know anyone who has ever needed this, but they still have the public safety officer come talk with everyone. They also tell you about any other public safety stuff you'd be interested in.) You'll get your iPads and laptops and be briefed on how to use them. Some of the SGA members will give you a demo as to what apps are useful (like Notability, etc.). You'll have a lunch meeting with your "big sib" on the last day- they'll usually tell you a lot more about specific classes and such, and a lot of them pass down their notes to their littles.) You'll also have a scheduled time for drug testing. They also do a "fashion show" to demonstrate what is acceptable to wear to class under the dress code.

There are also planed optional activities in the evenings and over the weekends that a lot of people go to (bowling, volunteering, etc.) I don't know exactly what's on the agenda for you all, and this was very much a brain-vomit list, since my orientation was almost two years ago. But hopefully that addresses some of your qualms. Let me know if you have any other specific questions!

I was wondering more specifics about the Friday of orientation week. I am trying to schedule travel for a wedding. Are the activities mandatory on that day or can they easily be rescheduled?

I was wondering more specifics about the Friday of orientation week. I am trying to schedule travel for a wedding. Are the activities mandatory on that day or can they easily be rescheduled?

If I am remembering correctly, Friday is the drug screen and big/little sib lunch, both are mandatory. If it's a big-deal wedding (sibling/ you're standing in it, something like that... or even if not) I'd contact the administration ASAP (start with Dr. Dunatov, her secretary is Tiffany Grimm) and see if you can either be scheduled for the earliest time (it's alphabetical otherwise) or can do the drug test independently. I don't know anyone who had to do this, but surely, in the history of the school, someone has needed to request the time to go somewhere for some legitimate reason :p It's better to ask and explain the situation up front than just leave and have to explain things retroactively.

yep!! I heard on Friday that I got in for 2021!!!!! I received a call in the second half of the day. I have not received the snail-mail acceptance letter though...
Has anyone heard back from the April 29th interview date?

yep!! I heard on Friday that I got in for 2021!!!!! I received a call in the second half of the day. I have not received the snail-mail acceptance letter though...
The letter in the mail is exactly the same as the one you get through email, it took about 1 week for mine to come. You can however start finding all of your immunization records and make sure you have money for the background check.

The letter in the mail is exactly the same as the one you get through email, it took about 1 week for mine to come. You can however start finding all of your immunization records and make sure you have money for the background check.
When you got the email, did it say Class of 2021 or 2020?

When you got the email, did it say Class of 2021 or 2020?
KYCOM Class of 2021, starting July 2017 with the chance of moving into this years class. I interviewed on April 1st and got the email and phone call on April 11th.

How's everyone looking for housing? Any recommendations?

hi there, very excited to begin here. Has anyone gotten stuff about when the semester begins/orientation and class schedule?

hi there, very excited to begin here. Has anyone gotten stuff about when the semester begins/orientation and class schedule?
Nope, but it's my understand that they dont really send out too much information until closer to orientation week. If you look up in the thread, theres an unofficial semester schedule and some information about what orientation week is like.

So I'm trying to do a bit of shopping and getting my wardrobe ready for school. Can someone tell me a bit more about the formal dress-code here (for men)?
Some specific questions I have ... Are ties required daily, are short-sleeved dress shirts ok too, are polos fine once in a while (and do they have to be non-branded), and what about patterned dress shirts?

Thanks.

So I'm trying to do a bit of shopping and getting my wardrobe ready for school. Can someone tell me a bit more about the formal dress-code here (for men)?
Some specific questions I have ... Are ties required daily, are short-sleeved dress shirts ok too, are polos fine once in a while (and do they have to be non-branded), and what about patterned dress shirts?

Thanks.
Shirt and tie or shirt and dress sweater in the winter. I don't think I've seen anyone in a short sleeve dress shirt but I guess it doesn't break the code? I have seen patterned dress shirts. Polos are a no go except on dress down days, where you can pay $2 to wear scrubs or a polo (I've only ever seen people pay to wear scrubs).

I would have at least 3 pairs of scrubs also, you will be wearing them 3 days a week your first semester.

Reactions: 2 users
Shirt and tie or shirt and dress sweater in the winter. I don't think I've seen anyone in a short sleeve dress shirt but I guess it doesn't break the code? I have seen patterned dress shirts. Polos are a no go except on dress down days, where you can pay $2 to wear scrubs or a polo (I've only ever seen people pay to wear scrubs).

I would have at least 3 pairs of scrubs also, you will be wearing them 3 days a week your first semester.
Could you also go into more detail about women's dress?

Getting ready to apply to KYCOM, among other schools. In reading the last few pages of this thread, kycom accepts students for this cycle and the next?

I've never heard of another medical school offering deferred acceptances, so that's cool.

(hoping Ronnie and co. lower the MCAT cutoff by 1 total point this year, lol)

Getting ready to apply to KYCOM, among other schools. In reading the last few pages of this thread, kycom accepts students for this cycle and the next?

I've never heard of another medical school offering deferred acceptances, so that's cool.

(hoping Ronnie and co. lower the MCAT cutoff by 1 total point this year, lol)
Yes so when the current year class fills up, they accept additional students into the following year with the chance of moving into their original class their applied for. I applied this cycle for 2016 and was accepted into next years class 2017. Although there is a chance of moving into this years class, I would like to wait the year.

Remember with regards to the MCAT, the average MCAT for the entering class is the AVERAGE. Half the accepted students did better than this score, and the other half not as well as that score. What are your stats?

Yes so when the current year class fills up, they accept additional students into the following year with the chance of moving into their original class their applied for. I applied this cycle for 2016 and was accepted into next years class 2017. Although there is a chance of moving into this years class, I would like to wait the year.

Remember with regards to the MCAT, the average MCAT for the entering class is the AVERAGE. Half the accepted students did better than this score, and the other half not as well as that score. What are your stats?

497 MCAT, 3.06 undergrad cGPA, 3.58 grad GPA; Not sure what they are with grade replacement, but cGPA and sGPA for undergrad would be higher.

So, not great. But I remember seeing posters in this thread talk about how the cutoff for interview screening was a 498 MCAT, so that's why I referenced the lowering by 1 point, lol. No real point in applying to KYCOM if it's still at 498.

I think I remember reading something about how someone was very close to the cutoff and they did not receive a secondary invite but were able to contact Ronnie about it.

Have you considered retaking the MCAT before you apply this cycle?

I was also admitted to KYCOM for the Class of 2021 with possibility for reclassification. I plan to accept it if they offer it, but I have not heard anything else about it. Are there any of you all that have been updated or know when we should hear something from KYCOM about this issue? Thanks!

I was also admitted to KYCOM for the Class of 2021 with possibility for reclassification. I plan to accept it if they offer it, but I have not heard anything else about it. Are there any of you all that have been updated or know when we should hear something from KYCOM about this issue? Thanks!
You can hear anything at any time up until classes start. It's the wait list so as people give up their spots in the class of 2020 you can be moved into that spot.

I haven't heard anything. I completed all of the background check, immunizations, and physical form and did not receive an email from KYCOM confirming they had received all documents from the site. I do not plan on accepting for 2020 and am going to wait the year. I just would appreciate an update

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, I will be giving up my spot within the next week once things are official at my other school. Hope it goes to one of you guys waiting! Loved KYCOM but I can't pass up being closer to home.

Quick question ...

If I'm not mistaken, during ii day I think I heard that students can choose to get a meal plan (for the UPike cafeteria). Is that correct?
If so, how many actually opt to go that route? If not incredibly expensive, is it worth it?

Thanks.

Quick question ...

If I'm not mistaken, during ii day I think I heard that students can choose to get a meal plan (for the UPike cafeteria). Is that correct?
If so, how many actually opt to go that route? If not incredibly expensive, is it worth it?

Thanks.
You can choose one but I most don't bother. It's pretty expensive and if you don't use all the meals you lose money. I don't remember the exact number, but you can eat at the buffet for $8. Most people bring their lunch or go home though.

I have been trying to contact KYCOM Admissions Office to get an update on reclassification possibilities and have not been able to reach anyone. For those of you that know, even if I was to get ahold of someone, would they be able to give me an update and/or what position I am to be reclassified to Class of 2020 instead of waiting a year for 2021? Thanks

I have been trying to contact KYCOM Admissions Office to get an update on reclassification possibilities and have not been able to reach anyone. For those of you that know, even if I was to get ahold of someone, would they be able to give me an update and/or what position I am to be reclassified to Class of 2020 instead of waiting a year for 2021? Thanks
Nope. They don't have a true rank list. If you're accepted into 2020 you'll be contacted. They can accept you up through orientation week, but you're not required to take it.

Hi, I am applying this year to KYCOM. Assuming I get accepted there, I wanted to know if I can do my rotations in Pennsylvania, New Jersey or in New York? Are they affiliated with any of the hospitals from these states? Thanks!

I am in the same boat!! They aren't answering emails or phone calls...very frustrating. I got my 2016-2017 Fafsa acceptance and am getting Class of 2020 emails yet I am Not in 2020...still in 2021.
I would take the spot if they have one. I would like to Atleast know where I am on the list so I can figure out my chances. But I got no response.

has anyone received any official communication with details regarding orientation? very much looking forward to KYCOM :)

has anyone received any official communication with details regarding orientation? very much looking forward to KYCOM :)
No, I haven't heard anything. From what I understand, they dont send out too much information until Julyish

I am in the same boat!! They aren't answering emails or phone calls...very frustrating. I got my 2016-2017 Fafsa acceptance and am getting Class of 2020 emails yet I am Not in 2020...still in 2021.
I would take the spot if they have one. I would like to Atleast know where I am on the list so I can figure out my chances. But I got no response.
Call Joel at (606) 218-5406 if you want to find out or get an update. I am also in class of 2021, but I do not plan to accept if they move me up to this year. Anyone still having problems with their Bears email?