University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying!

Please explain why you believe KYCOM is the right choice for your osteopathic medical education. (500 words)

Please explain why you believe you are an excellent choice to be an osteopathic medical student at KYCOM. (500 words)

Please describe your experience with osteopathic medicine, such as your care and treatment from a DO and your shadowing experience with a DO (including number of hours). Please describe how your experience has influenced your decision to apply to an osteopathic medical school. (500 words)

Members don't see this ad.

How does KYCOM feel about community college transfer credits for pre-reqs and are online labs accepted?

Before anyone jumps on me, I have only taken my Physics I credit online through a community college. It was a necessary move in order to avoid paying insane overage charges at my university for taking 20 credit hours last semester. I am considering taking my Gen Chem II credit in the same way in order to keep up with my course sequence, but only if it isn't prohibited or frowned upon. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
How does KYCOM feel about community college transfer credits for pre-reqs and are online labs accepted?

Before anyone jumps on me, I have only taken my Physics I credit online through a community college. It was a necessary move in order to avoid paying insane overage charges at my university for taking 20 credit hours last semester. I am considering taking my Gen Chem II credit in the same way in order to keep up with my course sequence, but only if it isn't prohibited or frowned upon. Thanks!
Don't think they'll care. Don't think a vast majority of schools will care.

Edited for dumb autocorrect, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Do you know the avg stats for KYCOM? I have look and cannt find any?

Good luck everyone! This will be my 2nd cycle, but my first cycle as a DO applicant.

Any word on secondary applications yet? Just got my AACOMAS verified within the past few days. 3.90 GPA/506 MCAT (retaking), decent volunteering/shadowing, extensive research, IS.

Secondary received this morning!

Last edited:
Good luck everyone! This will be my 2nd cycle, but my first cycle as a DO applicant.

Ditto. I am also a non-trad. I'm getting the general consensus on SDN that they look at the person as a whole, so hopefully we can get spots :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary submitted! :D

Same here. Submitted it the same day I received it. Writing the essays wasn't too hard, I really tried to be succinct. I think My first essay had about 220 words, second essay had about 400, and third had about 250 words. Pretty short essays given the limit but I think getting to the point is more important than fluff.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received! :)

Secondary submitted last night at midnightish.

Do they have to have your letters of rec before they send the secondary??

Do you know the avg stats for KYCOM? I have look and cannt find any?
Most DO schools in my experience do not give an average, but ususally state a minimum GPA/MCAT to be considered for a spot. If it is anything like most schools you need a 3.0 or better and a 500+ MCAT. If you wanted specific averages I would just call the school and post what you hear here!

Submitted secondary last week, and I have yet to receive a "complete" email. Is that the same with anyone else?

I see KYCOM is affiliated with Ohio University's COM. Does that mean students at KYCOM can easily rotate at OU hospitals and are considered more heavily for OU residency programs?

Going into 2nd year, and always here to help! :)

I have been calling every DO in a 2 hour radius from me for the last two months and haven't been able to find anyone. Should I keep looking so that I can get a letter? I see that the secondary kinda asks about it, so I'm wondering how people who haven't shadowed a DO would even answer that Q. Thanks so much! :)

I have been calling every DO in a 2 hour radius from me for the last two months and haven't been able to find anyone. Should I keep looking so that I can get a letter? I see that the secondary kinda asks about it, so I'm wondering how people who haven't shadowed a DO would even answer that Q. Thanks so much! :)
I know quite a few people who didn't have a DO letter and had an MD one instead. As log as you can convey "why DO?" you'll be fine.

It's hard for me to answer about OU, but I know we had rotations in Ohio.

Look up the history of osteopathic medicine! Read a little about Dr. Andrew Taylor Still--the dude was awesome. I admired his commitment to a revolution in medicine during a time when it sorely needed it. He was one of the first proponents of preventive care, as well as one of the first major components of "whole person" medicine--where you treat the patient, not the disease. These ideas permeate all aspects of medicine today, even outside of the osteopathic discipline.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Look up the history of osteopathic medicine! Read a little about Dr. Andrew Taylor Still--the dude was awesome. I admired his commitment to a revolution in medicine during a time when it sorely needed it. He was one of the first proponents of preventive care, as well as one of the first major components of "whole person" medicine--where you treat the patient, not the disease. These ideas permeate all aspects of medicine today, even outside of the osteopathic discipline.

I know quite a few people who didn't have a DO letter and had an MD one instead. As log as you can convey "why DO?" you'll be fine.

It's hard for me to answer about OU, but I know we had rotations in Ohio.

I do know about osteopathic medicine, but the question says to talk about my personal experiences with osteopathic medicine or shadowing experiences and I don't have those.

I do know about osteopathic medicine, but the question says to talk about my personal experiences with osteopathic medicine or shadowing experiences and I don't have those.
If you don't have any experience with osteopathic medicine it's hard to know you want to be an osteopathic physician. Most schools will want to know that you're serious about osteopathic medicine.

They don't require a DO letter, they just recommend it (unless things have changed while I've been in school).

If you don't have any experience with osteopathic medicine it's hard to know you want to be an osteopathic physician. Most schools will want to know that you're serious about osteopathic medicine.

They don't require a DO letter, they just recommend it (unless things have changed while I've been in school).

I think UP-KYCOM actually requires a DO letter though and most of them strongly recommend one in place of an MD letter

On their site, it says, "Requirement: A letter from a physician (PREFERABLY a D.O. who is a member of the AOA)"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

That's the same it said when I applied, Faith.

I have had experience in that I was an officer in three premed orgs. and we always had admissions officers, physicians, and students visit to talk, so I got to talk to them. I was thinking about just using that for secondaries.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how are the first two questions different?I feel like the things I would say for why I want to go to here would also be why I would be a good student there? Or should I make to good student one broader? Thanks!

I have had experience in that I was an officer in three premed orgs. and we always had admissions officers, physicians, and students visit to talk, so I got to talk to them. I was thinking about just using that for secondaries.
If it's all you got go for it.

Maybe this is a stupid question, but how are the first two questions different?I feel like the things I would say for why I want to go to here would also be why I would be a good student there? Or should I make to good student one broader? Thanks!
I don't remember exactly what the secondary questions were, it's been 2 years since I did the application.
But I elaborated on how I could be a good student in that I made my mistakes in undergrad so that I won't make them here. I also talked about how it would be a seamless transition into the town because I came from a small town.
Why I want to go here I talked more about the school and the mission and how I fit it.

If it's all you got go for it.

I don't remember exactly what the secondary questions were, it's been 2 years since I did the application.
But I elaborated on how I could be a good student in that I made my mistakes in undergrad so that I won't make them here. I also talked about how it would be a seamless transition into the town because I came from a small town.
Why I want to go here I talked more about the school and the mission and how I fit it.

I see. Thank you!!! :)

Secondary submitted! With the LOR section we only needed to designate which LORs they will use when looking at our app correct?

Can people further elaborate on how they differentiated between prompt 1 and 2? I am having a hard time with it...

Can people further elaborate on how they differentiated between prompt 1 and 2? I am having a hard time with it...

I answered 1 as in why the school is good for me (rural medicine and primary care focus) and 2 as to why I would make a good Osteopathic Physician. It took a while to write it though

Does anyone know if they screen post-secondary? I was looking at an old forum which suggested a GPA below 3.2 and a MCAT below 498 are the cut offs. But it seemed to be unsubstantiated

Secondary submitted!

On our schedule there aren't any interview days for August, just an FYI

On our schedule there aren't any interview days for August, just an FYI

It seems to be a recurring theme that most DO schools don't interview until sept-oct. at least that's how it is with the schools I am applying to

"Application complete and under review" email just now!