University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any advice for this interview? Format, itinerary, and the likes? I have mine here in exactly a week and I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about. Also, if anyone has information regarding the wait time to hear back for acceptance, how full the class may be, etc. I would be forever grateful! Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Should I contact them? Haven't heard anything yet about an interview since my app has been complete since November.

Should I contact them? Haven't heard anything yet about an interview since my app has been complete since November.
I've been complete since September and have not heard back since.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any advice for this interview? Format, itinerary, and the likes? I have mine here in exactly a week and I'm looking forward to seeing what it's all about. Also, if anyone has information regarding the wait time to hear back for acceptance, how full the class may be, etc. I would be forever grateful! Thanks in advance

Would like to know this as well! Interviewing here too.

Would like to know this as well! Interviewing here too.
I interviewed on November 18 and got accepted on November 22. They said that we would hear by Wednesday (November 23), but I remember we were all concerned because it was Thanksgiving that week. The interview day is very relaxed. We had 3 groups (A, B, and C) each one either went on a tour, interviewed, or sat in the room talking with KYCOM students. the interview was 2 on 1. I got asked questions about things ranging from what I liked to do in high school, to my research, to my personal statement. Yes, they do ask you specific questions about your personal statement. They actually read an excerpt from mine. All the interviewers seemed very nice! All in all it was a great day and Pikeville is a beautiful community. Good luck!

I've been complete since September and have not heard back since.
I interviewed on November 18 and got accepted on November 22. They said that we would hear by Wednesday (November 23), but I remember we were all concerned because it was Thanksgiving that week. The interview day is very relaxed. We had 3 groups (A, B, and C) each one either went on a tour, interviewed, or sat in the room talking with KYCOM students. the interview was 2 on 1. I got asked questions about things ranging from what I liked to do in high school, to my research, to my personal statement. Yes, they do ask you specific questions about your personal statement. They actually read an excerpt from mine. All the interviewers seemed very nice! All in all it was a great day and Pikeville is a beautiful community. Good luck!

Thank you for this great input! Do you recall about how long your interview lasted? Did they mention roughly how many people they accept after interviews?

Thank you for this great input! Do you recall about how long your interview lasted? Did they mention roughly how many people they accept after interviews?
I think my interview lasted roughly 25-30 minutes? Some people were longer. I feel like mine was shorter than others because there were not too many people in the room when I got back. I never was told what percentage of my group was accepted. Idk if they give out any information like that. I have noticed a few people from my interview group in the facebook group. I would guess that it was a fairly decent amount since we were early in the cycle

Relax and be yourself. Know your profile and personal statements as I too was asked about them. I was asked specifically about a class I took many years ago. I heard back within 4 days also and was also early in the cycle (I interview in October). The format is the same as Zach_ox mentioned and they do not release any stats regarding acceptances. Overall, I feel this school went the best for me interview wise because the faculty who interviewed me seemed relaxed and asked genuine questions. I never really felt like I was on the hot seat. My interview lasted almost an hour but that was because we got caught up talking about scuba diving (totally unrelated lol). You are also given a profile about the faculty that will be interviewing you. I suggest you pay attention to it to see if there is something you can bring up (like scuba diving) that will also help you make a connection. If nothing else, it may make you more comfortable to know what the professors look like and what they do before meeting them. Let me know if you have any other questions. Id be glad to answer them!

Zach_ox and Medscigirl pretty much covered it all, but the only thing that I would add is that be prepared to talk about any weak points in your application, like classes you may have not performed too well in, or MCAT scores, etc. My interview lasted a bit longer than others, but it didn't really like it because the faculty who interviewed me were just trying to have a good conversation and get to know me more.
Just try to relax and good luck for your interview!

Arrived early for my interview, actually in the break room on the second floor of the Coal building. Pretty cool city and great looking facility. Anything fun or interesting I should see since I've arrived a bit early?

Arrived early for my interview, actually in the break room on the second floor of the Coal building. Pretty cool city and great looking facility. Anything fun or interesting I should see since I've arrived a bit early?

I woulda joined you... if I didn't cancel the II. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
shucks, I was hoping to meet some people lol, alright well I'm in the holiday inn if anyone was to meet up before their interview.

stats that have granted acceptances here?

Accepted!!

Congrats! When did you interview? What are your stats?

If you've got your primary verified you can hit submit and hope for a waitlist spot. My friend got in scrambling with an application in January.
But the retake on your MCAT means diddily squat. It won't be considered for admissions and if you disclose that you're retaking it it may prevent you from an interview while you wait. Why are you retaking it now? Would it not be more beneficial to wait till may for the typical cycle?
Do you have any idea who I should send my update letter to? I emailed Ronnie Collins a week and a half ago and haven't heard back.

Do you have any idea who I should send my update letter to? I emailed Ronnie Collins a week and a half ago and haven't heard back.

Maybe try emailing Joel Vanhoose this time?

Thank you! Interviewed last weekend. 3.7 GPA, 499 MCAT

If you've got your primary verified you can hit submit and hope for a waitlist spot. My friend got in scrambling with an application in January.
But the retake on your MCAT means diddily squat. It won't be considered for admissions and if you disclose that you're retaking it it may prevent you from an interview while you wait. Why are you retaking it now? Would it not be more beneficial to wait till may for the typical cycle?
Do you have any idea who I should send an update letter to? I emailed Ronnie Collins a week and a half ag
Maybe try emailing Joel Vanhoose this time?

Thanks for the recommendation. I emailed Mr. Vanhoose and received a reply 30 min later.

Sorry I've not been posting. Apparently I stopped getting alerts until koval quoted me; thanks!
You sent an update letter to Joel? That's fine. Back in the day I sent one to Ronnie. I don't think it matters either way.

Congrats to those accepted.

Sorry I've not been posting. Apparently I stopped getting alerts until koval quoted me; thanks!
You sent an update letter to Joel? That's fine. Back in the day I sent one to Ronnie. I don't think it matters either way.

Congrats to those accepted.
No problem. Yeah, Ronnie seems to be MIA. I sent him two emails in the past 3 weeks and never received a response. I sent one to Joel and he responded within the hour.

Crazy times we're living in, let me tell you.

Interview for 2/25!! Can anyone offer me any advice on attire for the colder weather? I'm a Florida girl and so far all my interviews have been in state (i.e. scorching hot lol)

Interview for 2/25!! Can anyone offer me any advice on attire for the colder weather? I'm a Florida girl and so far all my interviews have been in state (i.e. scorching hot lol)

Pantsuit.

But also watch the weather it was 70 today. I went for a walk in a tee shirt.

The weather in the Appalachian region is driving me nuts this winter.

Bipolar weather = no bueno
I could go for a good snow.
Or just staying warm. This warm cold thing is killing my sinuses.

The constant flip flop in temps is giving me a constant head cold.

Dear Mother Nature,

figure it out.

stats of those accepted?

I interviewed on 11/18 accepted on 11/22. sGPA 3.7, total GPA 3.6. MCAT 500 (had to retake and had a month to study, totally didn't realize my old MCAT of 27 was not valid for some schools this year. Took it in April 2014). Between shadowing and scribing probably 2000+ hours of clinical exposure. 50ish hours of volunteering. Did undergrad research (not published but did present at a national convention). Hope this helped! Also I'm from SWVA so close to the area.

I just cancelled my interview here. I hope it goes out to one of you guys that are still waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
My season is over. I'm officially going here!! I can't wait.

Reactions: 4 users
I just cancelled my interview here. I hope it goes out to one of you guys that are still waiting!
I just got confirmation today that my interview slot has been reopened! So someone should get it soon

Reactions: 1 users
Just got the call I was accepted!!

Reactions: 5 users
Interviewed 2/23, got the acceptance call on 3/3 Florida resident.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I just got an interview invite, but with a small caveat, saying if I do get accepted, it will be most likely for next year's class as this year's class is almost completely full. I'm going to sleep on this and then decide tomorrow whether or not to take the interview.

I just got an interview invite, but with a small caveat, saying if I do get accepted, it will be most likely for next year's class as this year's class is almost completely full. I'm going to sleep on this and then decide tomorrow whether or not to take the interview.
Same here. Just got that email as well. I don't know I'll probably go. Let me know if you decide as well.

It's how they do their waitlist. Instead of being stuck on a waitlist you're accepted into next year's class with the possibility to move up into the class of 2021

Reactions: 2 users
Being someone who has been accepted, I know other medical schools say you just have to maintain a C average in your classes for your last semester once you've been accepted. Is that how it is for Pikeville, or is it different?

Being someone who has been accepted, I know other medical schools say you just have to maintain a C average in your classes for your last semester once you've been accepted. Is that how it is for Pikeville, or is it different?
Think so

I was accepted to KYCOM a couple months ago and haven't really be told much about financial aid, federal loans, etc. I was just wondering when we were supposed to start that process or if any other accepted students had taken any steps yet

If you get into next years class 2021, do you have the same amount of time as a 2020 accepted students to give a response as whether you are taking the offer, or can you put it on hold for a year because you may reapply to other schools and take their offer instead?

I was accepted to KYCOM a couple months ago and haven't really be told much about financial aid, federal loans, etc. I was just wondering when we were supposed to start that process or if any other accepted students had taken any steps yet
At some point once you have your student email you'll get an email explaining how to do everything. Everyone gets all they want up to max COA so it isn't a big deal.

If you get into next years class 2021, do you have the same amount of time as a 2020 accepted students to give a response as whether you are taking the offer, or can you put it on hold for a year because you may reapply to other schools and take their offer instead?
Same time line as 2020, I think at this point it's 2 weeks following acceptance.

I know core rotation sites for 3rd year are primarily in Kentucky except for a couple in ohio and pennsylvania. Is this the same for 4th year or are the 4th year sites more nationwide like at other medical schools?

I know core rotation sites for 3rd year are primarily in Kentucky except for a couple in ohio and pennsylvania. Is this the same for 4th year or are the 4th year sites more nationwide like at other medical schools?
3rd year is everywhere. tennesse Michigan Ohio Kentucky West Virginia Virginia. Don't know of one on Pennsylvania. 4th year you can set up electives wherever.

Would a 21 on the old MCAT be considered too low to apply here to the point where it wouldn't get passed minimum cut off for screening? I wasn't able to find their minimums on the website.

Would a 21 on the old MCAT be considered too low to apply here to the point where it wouldn't get passed minimum cut off for screening? I wasn't able to find their minimums on the website.
i dont think the old mcat will be valid for 17-18 cycle

ACCEPTED! II 4/7, one of the class of 2022 acceptance chance at being in class of 2021. Anyone else in the same boat?

I am looking into applying for KY-COM to start in Fall 2018. I have visited the campus and fell in love. I have a lower GPA (3.1) but a decent MCAT score (511), nearly 4,000 clinical hours, and over 500 volunteer hours. Do I still have a chance of getting accepted?

I am looking into applying for KY-COM to start in Fall 2018. I have visited the campus and fell in love. I have a lower GPA (3.1) but a decent MCAT score (511), nearly 4,000 clinical hours, and over 500 volunteer hours. Do I still have a chance of getting accepted?

With an MCAT score like that, yes, I think so. I got in with a 499 and 3.7 + GPA