University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Third year here! Happy to answer any questions you guys may have about the pre clinical years and rotation sites.

Best of luck

Do you need a DO letter for an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Ditto. I am also a non-trad. I'm getting the general consensus on SDN that they look at the person as a whole, so hopefully we can get spots :)
Definitely look at the student as a whole! I am nontrad-- and I was accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you need a DO letter for an acceptance?

I'm not the best one to ask about that. It's been awhile for me. I know I had a DO letter. Best thing to do would be to check on the school's site or to contact them directly

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any update on how KY-COM process is going? I've only heard a select few being invited for an interview but other than that no significant movement in other invites or acceptances. Just wondering since this thread seems a lot vacant in comparison to a majority of other schools. Any thoughts on why this might be the case?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using SDN mobile

Does anyone have any update on how KY-COM process is going? I've only heard a select few being invited for an interview but other than that no significant movement in other invites or acceptances. Just wondering since this thread seems a lot vacant in comparison to a majority of other schools. Any thoughts on why this might be the case?

Considering the first interview dates aren't until next month no one has an acceptance yet.
I'm not sure why it was so late this year, but guess it just means that you all will pretty much know your options by the time KYCOM is on the table.
Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Is there any average gpa and mcat for this school? Can't seem to find any, wondering if i'll be competitive. 3.35/3.1/501

Is there any average gpa and mcat for this school? Can't seem to find any, wondering if i'll be competitive. 3.35/3.1/501

In my opinion you have a shot if you have ties to the Appalachian region! And of course some decent ECs

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion you have a shot if you have ties to the Appalachian region! And of course some decent ECs

Good/Great ECs but no ties to Appalachian region. Unless you consider a texan going to college in Georgia a tie, lol.

Did you call them?
No. I checked the website where I applied. And there is an interview request

Also does anyone know the format of the interview (laid back, talking to professors, MMI, Ect) or will that stuff be under a non-disclosure?

Last edited:
Anyone have an idea of the turn around time for decisions after interviews?

Where will it say if you got an II? I see the welcome, contact info, secondary app, and status tabs. But i can't find where the II should be...

Anyone know what the interview format is (MMI, group interview, meet with multiple professors Ect?). Also, what's the feel and experience of interviews at kycom.

Where will it say if you got an II? I see the welcome, contact info, secondary app, and status tabs. But i can't find where the II should be...
There was a list somewhere. I'm staying at the Hampton Inn on Hambley Blvd

Interview is 2 on 1, clinical and basic science faculty members for 30 mins
Open file

Interview is 2 on 1, clinical and basic science faculty members for 30 mins
Open file
What's the feel on it? Relaxed just trying to get to know you? Or more trying to actually interview and probe you?

What's the feel on it? Relaxed just trying to get to know you? Or more trying to actually interview and probe you?

Not 100% I've heard that they are just trying to get to know you from all my friends who go there but this is my first go at applying for medical school
I just know a lot about the school cause it's my undergrad and friends

Have they sent out the second wave of interviews?

Could anyone shed a little more detail on the interview style/ format? I saw the 2 on 1 clinical and basic science comment.
Interviewing 10/15

Not 100% I've heard that they are just trying to get to know you from all my friends who go there but this is my first go at applying for medical school
I just know a lot about the school cause it's my undergrad and friends
It truly depends on who interviews you, but, I sincerely believe they are trying to get to know you. At least that is how I felt when I had my interview 3 years ago.

Yeah they call throughout the week. I didn't get a call until Friday. So don't stick to the Wednesday rule.

Yeah they call throughout the week. I didn't get a call until Friday. So don't stick to the Wednesday rule.
I believe they have called people up to 10 days after. The deans like to personally call, and if they are out of town, they may postpone calls. Do not freak out!

Could anyone shed a little more detail on the interview style/ format? I saw the 2 on 1 clinical and basic science comment.
Interviewing 10/15

My interview was super laid back, as many others have said. Be able to come up with thought out, but not overly-rehearsed, answers to the interview questions everyone asks (why medicine, why DO, what kind of doctor do you want to be, why this school.) Also, be able to explain any weaknesses in your application (example: "runthiscity12, your GPA is lowish. (I applied with like a cGPA of 3.12...) What's up with that?" "Ah yes, I had a difficult time adjusting to having 400+ people in lectures my freshman year. Since then I have reached out and found some resources that were very helpful. My GPA has followed an upward trend and I'm on track to get >3.8 this semester. In fact, one of the resources I found- a peer-based small group socratic-questioning-based organization- I'm now on the executive board for!" *Commence talking about my awesomeness.* Just kidding... but you get the idea. Turn it into a positive.) Other favorite questions: Why would you be a good fit for our school? Med school is stressful; how would you deal with that? Did you apply MD also/ why? (that one caught me off guard, luckily my home state only has MD schools, so I referenced that I was considering staying close to home/can't argue with in-state tuition.) If you did research, be able to summarize what you did in 2-3 sentences and explain what all the words you're using mean. I did get asked if I was in a relationship/married and if that would "hold me back" from moving far away from my hometown. I don't believe they're allowed to ask that question, so I just said no and moved on (even though yes, I am in a relationship. It wasn't their business to use as a deciding factor on my admission.)

You can definitely tell the interviewers come prepared. I had updated my AACOMAS application with the classes I was currently taking, one being immunology. They asked me how I was doing in that class as immuno tends to be "a subject students struggle with." So, basically be ready for them to throw anything at you. There are also certain interviewers that tend to be a little more intimidating than others. KYCOM has first and second year students meet up with the interviewees as they start showing up to chat with them and answer any questions. Use this time to ask about your interviewers/ what you could expect from them. As a caveat, I know I didn't want to excessively freak anyone out immediately pre-interview, so I tended to be vague about the interviewers I thought were a bit more intense. Don't worry though, at least one (and usually both) of the faculty members are chill.

All that being said, it's a ridiculously laid back interview day. Literally the first thing I said to my interviewer when they came in and called my name was "Hello, nice to meet you. I'm runthiscity. May I use the restroom?" And the interviewer was super friendly and showed me where to go. And then I lost him after I came out, walked into the research lab where the tour group was, and then my interviewer started calling my name loudly and yelling "this way!" And lookie here, I still got in, despite being mortified enough to remember those details three years later. So, just relax and have fun. The faculty at KYCOM is wonderful and inviting; you won't have any issues. Hope that helps!

Reactions: 5 users
Just finished my interview. It went very well and was very conversational. One of my interviewers was actually the acting dean of KYCOM, everyone was very nice and the students seemed extremely happy

I submitted my secondary August 10, and then sent Ronnie Collins an update September 10, to which he responded my application was then complete. How long will it take for me to hear back from KYCOM? It's been over a month...

Interveiwed today, I feel great about it! Had the dean of the school and a physiology professor. Probably the most laid back interveiw I've had

Interveiwed today, I feel great about it! Had the dean of the school and a physiology professor. Probably the most laid back interveiw I've had

This school is awesome. Blew DCOM out of the water if you ask me.

About how long does it take to hear back after submitting secondary? Submitted on sept 12th.

Really enjoyed my interview here. Was very personal and felt more like just having a conversation than a formal interview, which made it much easier to relax during it and feel comfortable

Cancelled my interview for 10/29, hope it goes to one of you all

Those of us who interviewed Saturday will start finding out tomorrow whether or not we were accepted correct? I can't remember what they told us