University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those of us who interviewed Saturday will start finding out tomorrow whether or not we were accepted correct? I can't remember what they told us

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Supposed to! Committee met today

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
When the post interview survey popped into my email I about had a heart attack

Attachments

• IMG_9433.GIF
    IMG_9433.GIF
    47 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my call!! Accepted :)

Reactions: 5 users
Just kidding; I got the call today. I'm so excited to be a part of this school!

Reactions: 1 users
But I just wanted to say I don't mind answering questions for you guys and if you have something specifically pertaining to you you would like to keep private feel free to message me.
But I'm getting 3-4 messages/day from different people on the same topics that could be easily answered here. So if it's just a generic question please just quote me and call me out here, if it's private then message me.
Thanks guys. :)

Atpsynthase: You got banned and just made a new account with the same name? Lmao :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I interview this Thursday and hope to be joining you all in the accepted category :) Congrats to all accepted already and I would appreciate good vibes my way!

I interview this Thursday and hope to be joining you all in the accepted category :) Congrats to all accepted already and I would appreciate good vibes my way!
You sure you interview Thursday and not Friday? As far as I know we've never done an interview on a Thursday.

Got the acceptance call last Friday 10/21. Interviewed on 10/15. Yay! :claps:

Reactions: 4 users
Paying my deposit this week! Excited to be in the class of 2021 at KYCOM

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewing here this Friday. I've toured the school once before. One of the best facilities of the several medical schools I've visited.

As someone from Kentucky, the rotation sites are really, really good. Core sites in my hometown, core site in my college town, and core site where my dad lives.

Interviewing here this Friday. I've toured the school once before. One of the best facilities of the several medical schools I've visited.

As someone from Kentucky, the rotation sites are really, really good. Core sites in my hometown, core site in my college town, and core site where my dad lives.
If you don't mind me asking what's your hometown?
Some sites are being shuffled around.

You weren't addressing me, but can you comment on western Kentucky sites? I moved to Kentucky with my wife to do my undergrad & med school with the intention of moving to her hometown when I'm done. She's from Livingston County (not too far from Paducah), so one of the big selling points for KYCOM was the selection of core sites in that area.

Also, is KYCOM ever used in spoken conversation? If so, how would you say it? (I've been saying KAI-com around the house, but there's no one here to judge). I interview on 19 November and don't want to sound too crazy :)

I wonder if this school will start offering more interviews now. Still waiting :xf:

You weren't addressing me, but can you comment on western Kentucky sites? I moved to Kentucky with my wife to do my undergrad & med school with the intention of moving to her hometown when I'm done. She's from Livingston County (not too far from Paducah), so one of the big selling points for KYCOM was the selection of core sites in that area.

Also, is KYCOM ever used in spoken conversation? If so, how would you say it? (I've been saying KAI-com around the house, but there's no one here to judge). I interview on 19 November and don't want to sound too crazy :)
The rumor is we're losing bowling green. So our western KY sites are looking grim.

Some People say Kai-com but I and some others say K-Y-Com. No real right answer.

The rumor is we're losing bowling green. So our western KY sites are looking grim.

Some People say Kai-com but I and some others say K-Y-Com. No real right answer.

Why the rumor?

You sure you interview Thursday and not Friday? As far as I know we've never done an interview on a Thursday.
It's for Friday! I leave town Thursday to travel there but yes it's Friday

Somerset. Seems they will be retaining those. Also noticed today at my interview they removed "Bowling Green" from list of core sites. That's a bummer!

Somerset. Seems they will be retaining those. Also noticed today at my interview they removed "Bowling Green" from list of core sites. That's a bummer!
Yep. That's the site I was talking about. All is well in Somerset. Hope your interview went well!

Paid my deposit today :)
I'm staying a Bear !

Heads up $27 online payment fee so the deposit is $1027

Reactions: 1 users
I have an interview on Friday November 18th! Any advice? What is the interview style? Do you hear the results within a few days?

I have an interview on Friday November 18th! Any advice? What is the interview style? Do you hear the results within a few days?
Interview is 2 on 1, clinical and basic science faculty members for 30 mins
Open file

It truly depends on who interviews you, but, I sincerely believe they are trying to get to know you. At least that is how I felt when I had my interview 3 years ago.

My interview was super laid back, as many others have said. Be able to come up with thought out, but not overly-rehearsed, answers to the interview questions everyone asks (why medicine, why DO, what kind of doctor do you want to be, why this school.) Also, be able to explain any weaknesses in your application (example: "runthiscity12, your GPA is lowish. (I applied with like a cGPA of 3.12...) What's up with that?" "Ah yes, I had a difficult time adjusting to having 400+ people in lectures my freshman year. Since then I have reached out and found some resources that were very helpful. My GPA has followed an upward trend and I'm on track to get >3.8 this semester. In fact, one of the resources I found- a peer-based small group socratic-questioning-based organization- I'm now on the executive board for!" *Commence talking about my awesomeness.* Just kidding... but you get the idea. Turn it into a positive.) Other favorite questions: Why would you be a good fit for our school? Med school is stressful; how would you deal with that? Did you apply MD also/ why? (that one caught me off guard, luckily my home state only has MD schools, so I referenced that I was considering staying close to home/can't argue with in-state tuition.) If you did research, be able to summarize what you did in 2-3 sentences and explain what all the words you're using mean. I did get asked if I was in a relationship/married and if that would "hold me back" from moving far away from my hometown. I don't believe they're allowed to ask that question, so I just said no and moved on (even though yes, I am in a relationship. It wasn't their business to use as a deciding factor on my admission.)

You can definitely tell the interviewers come prepared. I had updated my AACOMAS application with the classes I was currently taking, one being immunology. They asked me how I was doing in that class as immuno tends to be "a subject students struggle with." So, basically be ready for them to throw anything at you. There are also certain interviewers that tend to be a little more intimidating than others. KYCOM has first and second year students meet up with the interviewees as they start showing up to chat with them and answer any questions. Use this time to ask about your interviewers/ what you could expect from them. As a caveat, I know I didn't want to excessively freak anyone out immediately pre-interview, so I tended to be vague about the interviewers I thought were a bit more intense. Don't worry though, at least one (and usually both) of the faculty members are chill.

All that being said, it's a ridiculously laid back interview day. Literally the first thing I said to my interviewer when they came in and called my name was "Hello, nice to meet you. I'm runthiscity. May I use the restroom?" And the interviewer was super friendly and showed me where to go. And then I lost him after I came out, walked into the research lab where the tour group was, and then my interviewer started calling my name loudly and yelling "this way!" And lookie here, I still got in, despite being mortified enough to remember those details three years later. So, just relax and have fun. The faculty at KYCOM is wonderful and inviting; you won't have any issues. Hope that helps!

I am still very new to this forum and just learning how to use it but this was all great advice! Thank you!

When you guys click on this site (http://www.upike.edu/KYCOM) does it actually open for you? I keep getting the error message below. I asked a couple friends to test it and they get the same message. I emailed Ronnie about it and he/she said that it works on their end.

upload_2016-11-1_10-48-44.png