University of Pikeville - Kentucky (UP-KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When you guys click on this site (http://www.upike.edu/KYCOM) does it actually open for you? I keep getting the error message below. I asked a couple friends to test it and they get the same message. I emailed Ronnie about it and he/she said that it works on their end.

View attachment 210388

I get that as well. It's been like this a few days.

Members don't see this ad.

When you guys click on this site (http://www.upike.edu/KYCOM) does it actually open for you? I keep getting the error message below. I asked a couple friends to test it and they get the same message. I emailed Ronnie about it and he/she said that it works on their end.

View attachment 210388
Works for me and opens the site.

Some people had just answered that question well so i thought I'd put it all in one post.

Edit: it works on our wifi network but not on my phone. Ha. That's strange.

So I got my II on 9/28 and was actually completed on 10/5. Any idea on when I might hear for an interview? I'm getting more nervous each day without something. Should I call? This is my #1!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got my II on 9/28 and was actually completed on 10/5. Any idea on when I might hear for an interview? I'm getting more nervous each day without something. Should I call? This is my #1!
By II you mean secondary? II stands for interview invite FYI.
I wouldn't bother calling yet. They started interviews late this year, such that people who were complete in July just recently finished interviews. I wouldn't worry until you get into December. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I was complete on 9/16 and still haven't heard anything. No news is good news, I guess?

Just heard from the Dean..Accepted!!!! So excited:)

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! Just got the phone call as well, pretty surreal experience. Can't wait to start.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats fellow classmates of 2021

Found out Thursday I was accepted. Congrats to everyone! I have a few questions though.
1.)when do we get an email to fill out our information and accept the offer?
2.)when is the Facebook page going to be created?

Just submitted my deposit!! So excited:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Found out Thursday I was accepted. Congrats to everyone! I have a few questions though.
1.)when do we get an email to fill out our information and accept the offer?
2.)when is the Facebook page going to be created?
To confirm login to your portal and pay the $1000 deposit no papers will be mailed

Who conducted your interviews? I want to do my homework!

Who conducted your interviews? I want to do my homework!
You'll find out who is interviewing you the day of with a bio about them. You don't need to know anymore than that. The whole staff rotates.

You'll find out who is interviewing you the day of with a bio about them. You don't need to know anymore than that. The whole staff rotates.

Wow, a bio? Is this typical of medical school interviews? I've spent my fair share of time in the hot seat in my previous life, but I've rarely known more than the interviewers' names and titles/positions. Is their bio just to establish credibility and make us feel comfortable?

Wow, a bio? Is this typical of medical school interviews? I've spent my fair share of time in the hot seat in my previous life, but I've rarely known more than the interviewers' names and titles/positions. Is their bio just to establish credibility and make us feel comfortable?
Oh yeah that's all it's for. It's so you can understand their background a little bit. They're not there to intimidate you and you're not expected to know any of the content.

Just got an II today but will be turning it down. Hope it goes to one of you!

Just got a II! Can anyone give me some interview day advice? What kind of questions did they ask? this is my first interview!! im so excited

Just got a II! Can anyone give me some interview day advice? What kind of questions did they ask? this is my first interview!! im so excited
Thats awesome congrats!! Mind sharing your stats?

II just now!! This is my first and I'm super hyped!
gpa:3.33 MCAT:511 Complete early September.

Just curious, does anyone know if KYCOM have all their lectures posted online like it seems like a lot of other medical schools do?

Reactions: 1 user
II just now!! This is my first and I'm super hyped!
gpa:3.33 MCAT:511 Complete early September.

Just curious, does anyone know if KYCOM have all their lectures posted online like it seems like a lot of other medical schools do?
They do. But it's not possible to speed them up. It's kind of an archaic recording system.

My file was complete Sep 12, when should I expect to hear back from KYCOM? What is the general timeframe of hearing back from them?

My file was complete Sep 12, when should I expect to hear back from KYCOM? What is the general timeframe of hearing back from them?
I was complete 9/3 and haven't heard anything

How important is having ties to the Appalachia region, and does living near the region count? If there is a GPA cutoff and they like having ties it seems like I my have wasted my money for this school :(
I think the GPA cutoff is 3.0. But it if you have a low GPA and MCAT that will hurt.
Ties to the Appalachia region aren't really that important, but if you're a borderline applicant they can definitely help you.
If you live anywhere in KY that helps. If you live in Appalachia that would help. Living in Pennsylvania kinda near Appalachia wouldn't really help. Make sense?

Thank you so much for taking the time to field our questions! I'm not sure if it has already been covered but I'm just curious as to what percentage of those interviewed are accepted? Also how bad would it hurt your odds to delay an interview by a month?
Also the more I look at KYCOM the more I like it, it seems like you guys have an awesome community, and based on Instagram it seems like you guys have a ton of fun! Can't wait to meet some of the students!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hanging out in Pikeville. Definitely surprised at all of the medical resources around here. The City kind of pops out of nowhere, it's really cool.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for taking the time to field our questions! I'm not sure if it has already been covered but I'm just curious as to what percentage of those interviewed are accepted? Also how bad would it hurt your odds to delay an interview by a month?
Also the more I look at KYCOM the more I like it, it seems like you guys have an awesome community, and based on Instagram it seems like you guys have a ton of fun! Can't wait to meet some of the students!

I don't know what percent are accepted. If you delay a month now id say you're ok but I wouldn't delay into the new year.
Hanging out in Pikeville. Definitely surprised at all of the medica resources around here. The City kind of pops out of nowhere, it's really cool.
You probably ran into me today.

Hi! Did anyone receive a complete email after submitting? I received the email saying they have received my secondary but I was curious to know if they actually sent a complete email.

Definitely the most relaxed interview I've had yet, everyone was very nice!! The town was bigger than I expected going into it as well

Reactions: 3 users
The interview is VERY relaxed. Out of all the interviews I have had, I felt I was able to show who I truly am. In my interview they asked a range of range of questions about information I provided them from my application so be sure you know what you wrote about and be able to explain. I honestly spent like 20 min in my interview talking about scuba diving with both of my faculty interviewers so like I said, its very relaxed. I was asked about my research, my general path (I'm non traditional), my work experience, why DO, why medicine, what I like to do for fun etc. None of the questions are really "hard" just make sure you know how to talk about your self and what you put on your application. The bio's they give you are extremely helpful because it allows you to possibly find something to connect with your faculty interviewer on (hence scuba diving :)

Anybody receive a post-interview survey? I thought we were going to get one and I didn't get an e-mail. My portal looks the same as well.

EDIT: The post-interview survey posted this morning in my portal, never mind!:D

Last edited:
Has anyone who interviewed last Friday heard back yet? I have the post-interview survey in my portal but idk if that means anything

Has anyone who interviewed last Friday heard back yet? I have the post-interview survey in my portal but idk if that means anything

I interviewed on Saturday, so although you weren't referring to me I think we may be in the same boat. On Saturday they told us that the committee is meeting today. I guess normally they would start making decisions and phone calls later in the week, but this is a short week so they asked us to be patient and give them some extra time to think things through.

I'm feeling pretty anxious myself. My interview went great, but I talked to a lot of really bright candidates who I'm sure did very well on their interviews. I'll probably spend the rest of the week clicking refresh on this page and looking for a 606-area-code phone call.

Good luck!

Haven't heard back yet, but I have the survey as well. In my documents area (where my LORs are posted) it also says comments from my interview have been submitted as well.

Best of luck to everyone! Fingers crossed!

Haven't heard back yet, but I have the survey as well. In my documents area (where my LORs are posted) it also says comments from my interview have been submitted as well.

Best of luck to everyone! Fingers crossed!
can you see the comments from your interview? I am assuming thats a giant no but still wanted to ask hahaha

I keep refreshing my portal nonstop! haha I will let yall know when if I hear any news!

Lol i got a phone call from the 606 area on sunday, and they started out saying "this is ***** from pikeville" and my heart started palpitating. Then it just turned out i won a raffle i entered at my hotel when i was visiting idk bout y'all friday people but on saturday they told us the committee would meet tuesday(today) and we'd hear back most likely after thanksgiving!

Lol i got a phone call from the 606 area on sunday, and they started out saying "this is ***** from pikeville" and my heart started palpitating. Then it just turned out i won a raffle i entered at my hotel when i was visiting idk bout y'all friday people but on saturday they told us the committee would meet tuesday(today) and we'd hear back most likely after thanksgiving!

Wow! Your story alone got my blood rushing. I really hope they call us before thanksgiving....Im tired of checking my phone every 5 minutes