University of Pittsburgh SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when the deposit is due for pitt?? oh and i'll be there for second look weekend, it should be fun.

Members don't see this ad.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Thank you! Any chance you'll be headed to Pitt, Q? :D

Oh, and mostwanted, I interviewed on the 17th. Only 1 - 3 more weeks until decisions should be handed out... :eek:

i know, i haven't been impatient about any other schools. its only 3 more weeks or 2 now :) , but i'm still impatient. best of luck

zzman said:
Anyone know when the deposit is due for pitt?? oh and i'll be there for second look weekend, it should be fun.

I think they accept the deposit between the 16th and 25th of May. They don't want it unless you're definitely coming.

Members don't see this ad :)
whats up with ruskin hall? i checked the website and found out from a friend that the deadline for housing apps for the upcoming year passed in February. i hope this doesnt apply to incoming M1s

RonBurgundy said:
whats up with ruskin hall? i checked the website and found out from a friend that the deadline for housing apps for the upcoming year passed in February. i hope this doesnt apply to incoming M1s

Unfortunately, it looks to be full already with M2s, M3s, and M4s. I wish they had told us that Ruskin wasn't really an option, because the tour seemed to imply that it was a viable option for M1s.

HSteacher said:
Has anyone else been looking into housing? According to the Pittsburgh housing office and my student interviewer, Ruskin Hall is already filled. They said that the deadline for applying for on-campus housing was back in January. According to the student affairs office, they'll be sending us housing information in May or June. It seems odd that they would send us housing info so far after the deadline for applying to on-campus housing. On the other hand, my student interviewer said that some 1st year students were able to get on-campus housing, although she wasn't able to.

So, I've been looking into possible neighborhoods to live in: Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Bloomfield, Friendship, Greenfield, Highland Park, Churchill.

Any thoughts? Is anyone familiar with the Pittsburgh area and able to give advice?

Here are some resources that I've found on the web so far:
http://www.fcas.pitt.edu/gradguide/before_you_arrive/housing/neighborhoods.htm
http://www.medschool.pitt.edu/studentaffairs/neighborhood.html

RonBurgundy said:

When I spoke to the Pitt Housing Office, they said that on-campus housing (Ruskin) is definitely not guaranteed, even for M1's, and that I should look into off-campus housing. My student interviewer said that she applied for Ruskin Housing but wasn't able to get it. However, she did say that other students were able to get into Ruskin, even though some of them applied after she did. It sounds like they have some kind of weird waitlist system.

Bottom line: You can try to get a place in Ruskin, but don't let that be your only option.

On a related note, if you plan on having a car... most students who live in Ruskin park their cars at the Holiday Inn, which costs them over $100 (I think I read $125 or 150) a month.

as a pittmed student who recently moved (from n oakland to sq hill), the websites listed earlier are probably the best general overviews... I know the pittmed housing site rents and costs haven't been updated in a while though, so don't expect to find a place you'd want to live in for what they say rent will be.

second look should include a housing presentation (will provide super helpful advice on which land companies to avoid... there are some sketchy ones here) and which to deal with (I liked sterling land). Also will probably include driving tours of da burgh which will thoroughly disorient you but should give you some idea of which neighborhood you could see yourself living in. Also good on second look to keep an eye out for future classmates you might like to live with.

as for ruskin, I decided to avoid it all together... if you want to apply, you might have a chance, but I would definately make alternate arrangements.

good luck!

hattie said:
as a pittmed student who recently moved (from n oakland to sq hill), the websites listed earlier are probably the best general overviews... I know the pittmed housing site rents and costs haven't been updated in a while though, so don't expect to find a place you'd want to live in for what they say rent will be.

second look should include a housing presentation (will provide super helpful advice on which land companies to avoid... there are some sketchy ones here) and which to deal with (I liked sterling land). Also will probably include driving tours of da burgh which will thoroughly disorient you but should give you some idea of which neighborhood you could see yourself living in. Also good on second look to keep an eye out for future classmates you might like to live with.

as for ruskin, I decided to avoid it all together... if you want to apply, you might have a chance, but I would definately make alternate arrangements.

good luck!

hattie - thanks for the post. was 2nd look weekend helpful for you last year? i'm trying to decide if i can justify the $300 for a plane ticket. i'd like to go, but i'm so tired of shelling out money for this process. thanks.

bkflaneur said:
hattie - thanks for the post. was 2nd look weekend helpful for you last year? i'm trying to decide if i can justify the $300 for a plane ticket. i'd like to go, but i'm so tired of shelling out money for this process. thanks.

mine was a few years ago, and i'm not quite sure what the schedule is for you guys this year, but yes it was helpful for me to go... it was what helped me make my final decision on where to go (I went to 2 second looks, and ended up where I felt most comfortable, which happened to be pitt). I figured that an extra couple of hundred dollars was a pretty good investment in making the most informed decision that I could about where I was spending the next 4 years of my life. but then again, I know a bunch of people that didn't go that have been happy with their choice. its really a pretty personal decision... but for me, it was worth it.

h

bkflaneur said:
I decided not to go to the Pitt second look because I just interviewed there last month, and I still remember the school well enough. The second looks I am going to are for the schools that I saw six months ago that are kind of fuzzy in my memory. :p So I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you were at Pitt recently enough to be able to compare it to your other schools, then it's probably ok not to go. I figure the school hasn't changed too much in the past month. ;)

:idea: CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW LONG IT TOOK PITT TO SEND YOU RESPONSE BY MAIL AFTER YOUR INTERVIEW?

WAS IT EXACTLY 3 WEEKS, SHORTER, LONGER?
(I'm going insane waiting) :eek:

AND THOSE OF YOU WHO WERE LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET AN ACCEPTANCE LETTER - WHAT WAS THE PACKAGE LIKE - JUST ANOTHER TYPICAL ENVELOPE, OR A BIG, THICK 8x11 ONE?

ANYHOO - THANKS A BUNCH!

Algorhythmik said:
:idea: CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW LONG IT TOOK PITT TO SEND YOU RESPONSE BY MAIL AFTER YOUR INTERVIEW?

I was about to make this very post. :)

SanDiegoSOD said:
I was about to make this very post. :)

It takes about 4-5 weeks. Many of us had interviewers who emailed us to tell us that we'd been admitted. Some people had interviewers who didn't email. It depends on the interviewer. When the official decision comes by snail mail, acceptances are in large envelopes.

Also, the adcom meets on Wednesdays. My file went to committee five weeks after I interviewed (on a Wednesday) and I got an email from my faculty interviewer on Thursday. The official letter came in the mail the following tuesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Busted - thanks for answering my post. It's only been 2.5, nearing 3 weeks now for me (I interviewed on March 17th).

But one question that arose from your response - how did you ever find out exactly when your file went to AdCom? I was already told by Paula Davis that the AdCom meets every Wed and sent out stuff on Thurs/Fri's, but how did you know specifically which week that was --> did you just back-track and assume it was the Wed before the letter came in the mail? Or did you ask someone at Admissions who then informed you exactly when?

Thanks!

Sleepless in Florida :confused:

Good luck everyone!
I'm having flashbacks to December just reading your posts.
:love:

Algorhythmik said:
Hey Busted - thanks for answering my post. It's only been 2.5, nearing 3 weeks now for me (I interviewed on March 17th).

But one question that arose from your response - how did you ever find out exactly when your file went to AdCom? I was already told by Paula Davis that the AdCom meets every Wed and sent out stuff on Thurs/Fri's, but how did you know specifically which week that was --> did you just back-track and assume it was the Wed before the letter came in the mail? Or did you ask someone at Admissions who then informed you exactly when?

Thanks!

Sleepless in Florida :confused:

you really are thinking about this a lot. it's giving me flashbacks to the days of minute-by-minute email checks punctuated with a dose of disappointment after 9:00 PM when I knew that everyone at the admissions office had gone home and that I would have to wait another day.

To answer your question: I knew the day that my file went to committee becuase I had to call the admissions office to switch my contact address the fourth week after I interviewed. The woman on the phone told me that I could still switch my address because I had not yet gone to committee and, consequently, no letter had been mailed.

I heard in three weeks from both of my interviewers. It might've been abnormally fast since I interviewed right after the winter break, so maybe they'd caught up. Good luck everybody!

I heard a couple weeks ago, interviewed first week in Feb.
My #1 choice, tied with Vandy

Fingers crossed in hope that the Fat (envelope) Lady sings!

Hey - just a quick question to throw out in the air:

Does anyone know if the 148# for Pitt's 2010 class has been hit yet?

In other words, has anyone heard down the grapevine if the AdCom is only handing out Waitlists and Denieds at this point, until the med-school musical chairs game gets going?

Thanks Guys. Hope someone has some idea of the 2010 Class Status.

dabigv13 said:
I heard in three weeks from both of my interviewers. It might've been abnormally fast since I interviewed right after the winter break, so maybe they'd caught up. Good luck everybody!

Hey - when you say "BOTH" of your interviewers - what did you mean ... the student, and the faculty (i.e. inclusive of 15 min Admissions interview people like Paula/Lisa too?)

Hey guys... I just got accepted to pitt today!!!

I really want to attend second look weekend but I was planning to attend second look at another school :( . I'm totally split on what to do as Pitt and this other place (roc) are tied as my first choice schools. I grew up in Pittsburgh and I'm currently a student at UROC. Which second look should I attend, any thoughts or comments..

wuironl said:

I really want to attend second look weekend but I was planning to attend second look at another school :( . I'm totally split on what to do as Pitt and this other place (roc) are tied as my first choice schools. I grew up in Pittsburgh and I'm currently a student at UROC. Which second look should I attend, any thoughts or comments..

Congrats buddy! Do you mind if I ask when you interviewed at Pitt? Thanks!

wuironl said:

Congratulations!

Why not attend both 2nd looks? The U of R one will be easy because you just have to walk across the street, so you'll only have to fly to one. Then you have more information to make your decision.

Algorhythmik said:
Hey - when you say "BOTH" of your interviewers - what did you mean ... the student, and the faculty (i.e. inclusive of 15 min Admissions interview people like Paula/Lisa too?)

Sorry for the ambiguity- I got an email from my student and faculty interviewer. My talk with Paula wasn't really an interview so much as a wrapup question session for me. The big envelope came a few days later.

I decided not to go to the second look weekend myself because I didn't want to spend the money on airfare, and Pitt is my clear favorite at this point, but it looks like a lot of fun

Also, DarkFark, love the avatar. I crack up just looking at it.

for the ppl who have been accepted, r there any areas on the pitt websites that you can login, once you have been accepted? for example, fin aid site for harvard.

mostwanted said:
for the ppl who have been accepted, r there any areas on the pitt websites that you can login, once you have been accepted? for example, fin aid site for harvard.

nope

Also, DarkFark, love the avatar. I crack up just looking at it.

Ahh, always nice to find someone else who appreciates Zoidberg.

i've posted the 2006 matchlist in the pre-allo forum. hope to see many of you next weekend!!

wowzer said:
i've posted the 2006 matchlist in the pre-allo forum. hope to see many of you next weekend!!

WHEN IS 2ND LOOK WEEKEND FOR PITT ACCEPTEES?

THANKS!

Algorhythmik said:
WHEN IS 2ND LOOK WEEKEND FOR PITT ACCEPTEES?

THANKS!

Next weekend, April 6-9.

Hey everyone, I have a question for anyone going to 2nd look. Have you heard yet about who your student host is going to be? With only a few days to go, I'm getting a little nervous, particularly because the site where you send your info in seemed kind of shady, even when it was supposed to be working. Did anyone get a confirmation email or anything?

If theres a problem, I'll probably have to book a hotel room soon.

DarkFark said:
Hey everyone, I have a question for anyone going to 2nd look. Have you heard yet about who your student host is going to be? With only a few days to go, I'm getting a little nervous, particularly because the site where you send your info in seemed kind of shady, even when it was supposed to be working. Did anyone get a confirmation email or anything?

If theres a problem, I'll probably have to book a hotel room soon.

Hey there,

Nope, haven't heard a thing. I was under the impression that we would be hearing by Tuesday at the latest. Cuts it a little close, I know. There is an email address where you can ask questions: [email protected]

If you are worried about it I would email them. See you Thursday!

MissMD'10 said:
Hey there,

Nope, haven't heard a thing. I was under the impression that we would be hearing by Tuesday at the latest. Cuts it a little close, I know. There is an email address where you can ask questions: [email protected]

If you are worried about it I would email them. See you Thursday!

Thanks, MissMD. Cya there soon :)

Is there any additional fin aid forms for pitt? If so can someone post the link.

Thanks

PS: Don't forget you have to ask your lender for a:

"MASTER PROMISSORY NOTE" (MPN)

You have to turn it in to FinAid ASAP once you sign it for lending purposes.

Hey - is there anyone out there beside SanDiegoSOD who interviewed on the 17th of March? :confused:

That's when I did too - I just want to know if anyone from that date has heard back from Pitt yet in some way or another - be it e-mail, letter or phone call. :idea:

Thanks Everybody. :thumbup:

Some stuff about Ruskin:

So I called the housing office recently and the girl who answered informed me that 1.) Ruskin is full, 2.) there is no waitlist, 3.) Ruskin will be closed for reconstruction in the summer of 2007 and after that, will serve as an undergrad dorm 4.) another dorm is scheduled to be built at the same time for grad students (she couldn't tell me when it'd open though) .............anyway, it looks like Ruskin is totally out of the question for us. If anyone got something diff from the housing office, pls let us know!

I'm looking for houses/apartments now, hopefully to buy, but it's a real pain. I miss my required all-4-years-on-campus housing from undergrad.

Second look: over 100 people have signed up!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to it :D

Have they sent any info about student housing for second look yet if we already signed up?

ti89 said:
Have they sent any info about student housing for second look yet if we already signed up?

You should hear something by April 4th. What I've learned after staying w/ a bunch of student hosts is that med students are sooo busy and they often don't get in touch until the last minute. It can be annoying, but it always works out in the end. You guys are definitely going to have a host to stay with...just arrive on Thursday!!

Here's the full-text of that email, just in case you want to read it again:

Dear Prospective Members of the Class of 2010,

The response for 2nd Look Weekend has been overwhelming! Over 100 of you have already registered at http://www.pittmed.pitt.edu/secondlook/ Don't miss out on the most fun you will ever have during a medical school visit. Please register prior to Monday April 3rd. You will hear from your student host before Tuesday April 4th so that you can make arrangements for your visit. If you are able to bring an air mattress or sleeping bag with you, then please email [email protected]. Please continue to view the website for updated schedule changes and other announcements for the weekend.

The Class of 2009 promises you an experience unlike any other, because we are a group of medical students unlike any other. Our achievements this year include: a guys moustache growing competition (that ended when the girls made us shave them off); social events with the Dental, Law and Nursing students; and the unification of a tremendously talented group of individuals who conduct high level research, start volunteer programs and selected a charity for whom our class will work over the next four years.

Our class has a special bond, and we would like to share it with you during 2nd Look Weekend when you make your first memories as the Class of 2010 at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine.

Sincerely,

Jeffrey Walch

President of the Class of 2009

QofQuimica said:
Ugh. At least it wasn't goatees. :rolleyes:

Gah! Or a competition to see who could last the longest without a shower! We always had those around finals time :eek:

Hey Guys - I'm really nervous waiting to hear back - I interviewed on the 17th of March, and I know it's supposed to be about 3 weeks, and that several students got e-mails upon acceptance before snail-mail, but that plenty did not.

However, I heard a rumor from someone that on the App Status page inside the Admissions secure site, it says Decision Mailed or something like that once the Committee has completed your review in its entirety.

Anyone heard something like this? :thumbup:

Thanks,
- The Restless One :eek:

Algorhythmik said:
Hey Guys - I'm really nervous waiting to hear back - I interviewed on the 17th of March, and I know it's supposed to be about 3 weeks, and that several students got e-mails upon acceptance before snail-mail, but that plenty did not.

However, I heard a rumor from someone that on the App Status page inside the Admissions secure site, it says Decision Mailed or something like that once the Committee has completed your review in its entirety.

Thanks,
I actually found out because they sent me an email to remind me to fill out financial aid forms. I thought, hmm, that's funny, I haven't been accepted yet.... :smuggrin: Anyway, it might take longer than three weeks, FYI, especially if you don't get an email from your interviewer. I got my packet in the mail a month later.

funshine said:
anyway, it looks like Ruskin is totally out of the question for us. If anyone got something diff from the housing office, pls let us know!

Pittsburgh housing is so cheap there's no reason to pay exorbitant dorm fees anyway. From ghetto style (South Oakland) to fancy hipsterville (Shadyside), finding something nice to rent is easy, especially if you're amenable to house-sharing.

Algorhythmik said:

Thanks,

Hey man,

I know several people heard back from Pitt nearly five weeks post interview, so don't get your hopes up about hearing this week. It will be a looooong month if you don't tone down the anticipation :)

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the explanations. I've just never been in this waiting "chair" so to speak. So - it's driving me nuts, but, I'm gonna try some Zen breathing techniques, or maybe some Yoga. We'll see how it goes.
:laugh:

- The Enlightened One :p

Algorhythmik said:

Thanks,

Mistaken post--but I interviewed FEBRUARY 17 and still have heard nothing...you've likely got awhile!

Just was perusing since I haven't done so in so long and I noticed that some of you are kind of antsy about second look. I'm a first year student and there a few things I can tell you.

1) Second look will be awesome
2) You WILL have a place to stay--you may not have a king-sized bed to yourself, but people in my class have really stepped up to make sure that you guys have a place, and you should find out today or tomorrow, just be patient.
3) You should all do the Run with HAART on Saturday because it will be fun and for a good cause.
4) Second look will be awesome

If you have any specific questions about Pitt, feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer them. Or you can ask one of the 100+ med students you will probably meet this weekend. Hope this helps you all.