University of Pittsburgh SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DNM503 said:
Mistaken post--but I interviewed FEBRUARY 17 and still have heard nothing...you've likely got awhile!

DNM503:

I've spoken with plenty of people who interviewed well after you who've already gotten in. One of them interviewed March 14th, and he got in.

I'd suggest you call up the Admissions Office at Pitt and ask what's going on. I know some people waited upwards of 4-5 weeks, but, you're talking almost 2 months. That sounds odd-ish to me. :confused:

Anyone else agree with me? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Algorhythmik said:
DNM503:

I've spoken with plenty of people who interviewed well after you who've already gotten in. One of them interviewed March 14th, and he got in.

I'd suggest you call up the Admissions Office at Pitt and ask what's going on. I know some people waited upwards of 4-5 weeks, but, you're talking almost 2 months. That sounds odd-ish to me. :confused:

Anyone else agree with me? :smuggrin:
Yeah, that does seem long. I interviewed Feb. 10 and I found out in mid-March. :confused:

QofQuimica said:
Yeah, that does seem long. I interviewed Feb. 10 and I found out in mid-March. :confused:

Thanks guys--I did call them a little over a week ago, and they told me my file was going in front of the committee this past Wednesday (as in 1 week ago tomorrow). My school's mail service sucks, so prehaps a decision has been sent and hasn't reached my PO Box yet. I think I'll call them today to confirm, though. They also told us it depends on how fast your interviewers turn in their report to the committee. My faculty interview seemed incredibly busy (late, paged a thousand times, phone ringing off the hook, people searching for her, etc.)...I could see her taking awhile to get back to them. I'm just starting to get concerned that their class is full.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys:

Regarding calling the Admissions Office - do they get :smuggrin: upset if you call and ask them your file's status - i.e. if your file has gone to Committee yet?

:cool:

I just feel like the last thing I should do is piss someone off at the Office, know what I mean? I'm sure they get phone calls from the same anxious people - is it there yet? No. Ok, how about now? Still NO. lol :(

Thanks!

By the way, since DNM brought it up ...

Is Pitt's 2010 full as of now? Anybody know? :confused:

Algorhythmik said:
By the way, since DNM brought it up ...

Is Pitt's 2010 full as of now? Anybody know? :confused:

I just called, and to answer all your questions...
-No, they don't get upset if you call...I've called twice and asked if a decision had been made/when it would go to the committee...but I also mention immediately that I interviewed several months ago, so I'm not really being overanxious.
-My file is STILL under review (from Feb. 17) and she told me it will be going to the Committee either tomorrow or next Wednesday at the latest (of course, the last time I called they told me it was going LAST Wednesday, so who knows...)
-I was told there are still spots open in the class.

Pitt's secretary's are the best. They are honestly the most helpful of any school that I've called. I just thought I should mention that :)

SanDiegoSOD said:
Pitt's secretary's are the best. They are honestly the most helpful of any school that I've called. I just thought I should mention that :)
Its now b/t UPitt and Vandy...
I love the transplant program at Pitt :love:

Hey Guys:

I interviewed March 17th, and today finally called the Admissions Office and they told me my decision had been put in the mail yesterday, and to expect a 5-10 business day waiting period for it. :eek:

:idea: So I'm just wondering - for those of you who ended up getting GOOD news and called ahead of time to check on your status - if you also got the "standard treatment" so to speak? Or did any of you get "hints" of some sort when you called? :cool: I'm just wondering if you can gauge something by her tone, or if they're always just strictly professional. (the latter is my assumption) :thumbup:

Thanks

Algorhythmik said:
Hey Guys:

I interviewed March 17th, and today finally called the Admissions Office and they told me my decision had been put in the mail yesterday, and to expect a 5-10 business day waiting period for it. :eek:

:idea: So I'm just wondering - for those of you who ended up getting GOOD news and called ahead of time to check on your status - if you also got the "standard treatment" so to speak? Or did any of you get "hints" of some sort when you called? :cool: I'm just wondering if you can gauge something by her tone, or if they're always just strictly professional. (the latter is my assumption) :thumbup:

Thanks

I had to call after my decision had been mailed to make sure they had gotten my address change. I spoke to the secretary in the admissions office. Her affect was totally flat. There were no hints. Nothing. She kept the secret like a CIA agent under fierce interrogation. I couldn't break her. Her loyalty to the school was unflinching. I don't even think water torture would have provided actionable intelligence.

Good luck. We all know how hard it is to wait. If you do want to try the water torture, though, I don't think anyone would blame you.

I don't think they sell the water-torture manual on e-bay. hard to find. ;)

moreover, i don't have the clinical experience hours required by most torture centers for their recently hired executioners. i think that demands time in the bush administration. :smuggrin:

oooh, ouch. did i say that out loud? yikes. Donnie Rumsfelthisforeskin, if you're listening, and Tommy Ridgefigger too - ha - I don't care. Sue me.

but - it could be interesting to use such torture methods on friends who are a pain in the butt. as far as those individuals being friends, i do not know.

however, back to pitt - i also could not get ONE word out of the lovely lady. she was very sweet and courteous, but also VERY distinct about using the words "DECISION was mailed" - she did not say packet or letter. tough cookie. hands down - super nice, but man, you're right - no gold to dig deep for there. hard-core loyalty. i can admire that - but nonetheless - i am still going nuts waiting, esp now that i know the "DECISION" is coming, lol. :eek:

Algorhythmik said:
I don't think they sell the water-torture manual on e-bay. hard to find. ;)

moreover, i don't have the clinical experience hours required by most torture centers for their recently hired executioners. i think that demands time in the bush administration. :smuggrin:

oooh, ouch. did i say that out loud? yikes. Donnie Rumsfelthisforeskin, if you're listening, and Tommy Ridgefigger too - ha - I don't care. Sue me.

but - it could be interesting to use such torture methods on friends who are a pain in the butt. as far as those individuals being friends, i do not know.

however, back to pitt - i also could not get ONE word out of the lovely lady. she was very sweet and courteous, but also VERY distinct about using the words "DECISION was mailed" - she did not say packet or letter. tough cookie. hands down - super nice, but man, you're right - no gold to dig deep for there. hard-core loyalty. i can admire that - but nonetheless - i am still going nuts waiting, esp now that i know the "DECISION" is coming, lol. :eek:
You might try emailing your student interviewer....mine emailed me well before the packet arrived.

Did any of you initiate contact with your student interviewer post-interview, to see if they'd say something about you getting accepted?

I just wanted to see if anyone did, and got good news that way :cool:

I just don't want to force an interviewer to say something, good news or not; I figure if they wanted to send me an e-mail, they will. Just like I've heard from some students here on SDN - plenty of ppl get in without ever getting any e-mail.

Wish me :luck:!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to let y'all know that I interviewed on 3/6 and found out that I was accepted yesterday. Both interviewers emailed me but I have not received any letter yet. best of luck to those waiting!

ouli said:
Just wanted to let y'all know that I interviewed on 3/6 and found out that I was accepted yesterday. Both interviewers emailed me but I have not received any letter yet. best of luck to those waiting!
Congrats, ouli.

Algo, no, I didn't. My interviewer contacted me. But I don't think it is a huge faux pas to contact them as long as you aren't obnoxious about it. If they don't want to answer, then I wouldn't push it.

ouli said:

Whyyyy has my file not gone to the committee yet if people who interviewed 3/6 and 3/17 have already had decisons mailed?!?! Try TWO/17.

Hey - to answer your query - I have not the slightest idea. :confused:

It does seem weird though, as I posted before. Others agree too.

Keep the faith! I truly know how excruciating the waiting is to go through.

It truly sucks, but I think it's just another part of the agony of the medical proving grounds - another test as you climb the totem pole. Unfortunately - one you have ZILCH control over! :mad:

Anyhoo - best of Luck MDN! You've got 3 cheers from my side of the fence. :thumbup:

QofQuimica said:
Congrats, ouli.

Algo, no, I didn't. My interviewer contacted me. But I don't think it is a huge faux pas to contact them as long as you aren't obnoxious about it. If they don't want to answer, then I wouldn't push it.

Thanks QofQuimica! look forward to being classmates. Pitt is such a greaaaaaaaaaaat school!! and I love the city too, i've lived there for six years and i can't wait to go back. i never get it when people say they don't like it there.

Hey everyone, have any of you heard about your host for 2nd look yet? I'm starting to think there might be an issue!

Hey Guys. I am a student here at Pitt. When we interview people we often find out which students got in in waves. All of a sudden there will be a bunch of letters in our boxes. Sometimes that means we find out before you, but sometimes not. So you could try emailing your interviewer, but they may not know yet either. Have a great time at second look weekend and be sure to ask all your questions, even the ones you think may sound stupid because believe me someone else is thinking about it too. Cheers!

DarkFark said:
Hey everyone, have any of you heard about your host for 2nd look yet? I'm starting to think there might be an issue!

yup I heard from my student host...apparently, we're put into "families" with some med students and hostees. Sounds fun!!

waterlily said:
yup I heard from my student host...apparently, we're put into "families" with some med students and hostees. Sounds fun!!

that does sound cool! I'm staying in a hotel, and now I'm jealous. (Don't take me for a recluse or a snob ... just really liked the hotel I stayed in for my interview.)

As for the Whyyyyyyy question ... I remember them saying that it could take longer if the student or faculty interviewer didn't turn in their forms in a timely fashion. Maybe some paperwork didn't make it to your file as soon as it could have? I'm sorry you have to wait like this. I remember waiting ... :(

DarkFark said:

I haven't heard yet either, so I wouldn't start worrying...yet

Question for sharkfan, dilated, or anyone familiar with Pittsburgh: Is it a good idea to live in the area between Shadyside and East Liberty? I was visiting some places on S. Negley, and on the part of Centre Ave between S. Negley and Highland Ave, and while they look really nice on the inside, students have told me to avoid any neighborhood near East Liberty. I've heard East Liberty is "up and coming", but that was from the guy trying to sell me the place.

East liberty actually is up and coming, they have a ton of work planned for that area in the next few years... but there is a solid amount of work still to be done... how did you feel when you were there? Really you're the only one that can make the call whether you'd like to live there. How you'd like it probably depends a lot on where you're moving from and your comfort level... but right now I don't think there are too many students who live in that area.

happy apt hunting!

QUOTE=funshine]I haven't heard yet either, so I wouldn't start worrying...yet

Question for sharkfan, dilated, or anyone familiar with Pittsburgh: Is it a good idea to live in the area between Shadyside and East Liberty? I was visiting some places on S. Negley, and on the part of Centre Ave between S. Negley and Highland Ave, and while they look really nice on the inside, students have told me to avoid any neighborhood near East Liberty. I've heard East Liberty is "up and coming", but that was from the guy trying to sell me the place.[/QUOTE]

funshine said:
I haven't heard yet either, so I wouldn't start worrying...yet

Question for sharkfan, dilated, or anyone familiar with Pittsburgh: Is it a good idea to live in the area between Shadyside and East Liberty? I was visiting some places on S. Negley, and on the part of Centre Ave between S. Negley and Highland Ave, and while they look really nice on the inside, students have told me to avoid any neighborhood near East Liberty. I've heard East Liberty is "up and coming", but that was from the guy trying to sell me the place.

I actually think I know the area you're talking about. Is there a Wendys near there, after the Boston Market/Taco Bell on Baum (the street next to Centre)? It's the only 24 hour Wendys in Pittsburgh so it's not a terribly bad landmark. I've driven there at 4am and it's not that bad. East Liberty is seriously ghetto, relative to Pittsburgh at least. But that's not really in the heart of East Liberty. I've never known anyone who lived there, but I can see why it would be a cheap alternative to Shadyside since it's not far away. On the other hand, as a dude, my nighttime perspective is different from a girls. I would suggest driving there at night and seeing if you feel comfortable.

Also, definitely look at some other neighborhoods. The most important thing is how easy it is to get to Pitt because parking near Scaife is absolutely brutal. www.portauthority.org has the bus schedules by neighborhood (pitt id = free bus pass). A lot depends on your housing situation: if you want a 1br at a low price you have to be less picky on a neighborhood, whereas if you're splitting a house you can get a really nice house in a good neighborhood at a low per person price. If you need more info you can pm me

prana_md said:
that does sound cool! I'm staying in a hotel, and now I'm jealous. (Don't take me for a recluse or a snob ... just really liked the hotel I stayed in for my interview.)

As for the Whyyyyyyy question ... I remember them saying that it could take longer if the student or faculty interviewer didn't turn in their forms in a timely fashion. Maybe some paperwork didn't make it to your file as soon as it could have? I'm sorry you have to wait like this. I remember waiting ... :(

Oooh, was it that Hampton Inn? That place was the shiz.

ouli said:

congrats, i also interviewed on the 6th, and i got my packet today.

wishing the best to all of y'all who are still waiting.

For anyone who interviewed on March 17th at Pitt: :thumbup:

Have any of you wondered if the MS-4's who interviewed us (because everyone else was on vacation) have any knowledge of the early Congratulations e-mail tradition the MS-1's have been using lately? :idea:

I figured - I have not read a post by anyone who I know interviewed that day, who's received an e-mail notice from their interviewer. On the other hand, all 20 of us could have proved dismal for the Pitt AdCom upon review +pity+

Until then, I've heard our decisions were mailed as of 2 days ago, and to expect 5-10 days travel time - it seems those letters come by mule now.
And of course, I love waiting and waiting. It makes me so happy joy joy.
See? ----> +pissed+ HAHA. J/K. But it does suck.

:rolleyes: Please see my new post above - for MARCH 17 INTERVIEWEES :cool:

ALSO ---> a med-student e-mailed me to tell me that those of us who did interview that day -- were part of an unexplained lag in the AdCom process, but that (most of) our letters have indeed been mailed as of 1-2 days ago.
:cool:

This guy also said that tid-bit came from Paula Davis's mouth. :thumbup:

Does anyone know if Pitt Med classes provide lecture notes with every course, or if we're expected to take notes by hand for everything, etc? :confused:

Thanks! :thumbup:

Algorhythmik said:
Does anyone know if Pitt Med classes provide lecture notes with every course, or if we're expected to take notes by hand for everything, etc? :confused:

Thanks! :thumbup:

i think they provide lecture notes, but no audio or video.

Does anyone know when scholarship notices go out? Do they go along with acceptances or are they sent seperately? Thanks!

I think they include Fin. Aid Forms in the Acceptance packets from what I've read on SDN and from ppl I've spoken to who've gotten good news. :D

But regarding scholarships, I did hear once from a med-student on AdCom that once they have a good idea of the class's make-up, they make a more definitive move on offering scholarships. If my recollection is correct, I also think those are more so need-based (I am unsure if any they have are merit-based). So, call it a grant or a need-based scholarship - same in my book.

Any current Pitt Med students want to correct any misconceptions - PLEASE DO :thumbup: - I'm just going off hear-say down the grapevine!!!!!

To any current Pitt-Med Student (or person who thinks they have insight):

I was wondering why ppl from the same interview bracket get sent decisions before/after others in their respective bracket? For example, I read someone's been waiting since Feb. 17th for a decision ... yikes. :(

Any ideas? :)

Algorhythmik said:
To any current Pitt-Med Student (or person who thinks they have insight):

I was wondering why ppl from the same interview bracket get sent decisions before/after others in their respective bracket? For example, I read someone's been waiting since Feb. 17th for a decision ... yikes. :(

Any ideas? :)
Someone said before that it depends in part on when your interviewer turns in his/her evaluation form.

QofQuimica said:
Someone said before that it depends in part on when your interviewer turns in his/her evaluation form.

Yeah.

-The 2/17

Hey Q--

You are on the Pritzker thread too...how are you going to choose between Pitt and Pritzker? Are you considering anywhere else? If I get into Pitt--er...if they ever make a decision, that is--I will likely have the same decision.

DNM503 said:
Hey Q--

You are on the Pritzker thread too...how are you going to choose between Pitt and Pritzker? Are you considering anywhere else? If I get into Pitt--er...if they ever make a decision, that is--I will likely have the same decision.
It's a tough decision; they're both eclectic, really research-oriented schools with diverse student bodies and very non-trad friendly. I plan to go second look at Chicago before making a final decision. I think for me it will really be a very subjective decision, because the costs are pretty much the same at both schools, and I don't think it's possible to go wrong with either one. I guess one big thing to think about is how much you like a more traditional curriculum like Chicago, where they are in class every day from 9-5, versus Pitt, which has the PBL and small group work. The city of Chicago is also going to have a higher COL, but on the flip side there is more to do there. I have to say though that I liked Pittsburgh a lot more than I expected to like it. I also like Chicago's smaller class compared to Pitt, but Pitt isn't outrageously huge. They both have crappy winter weather (I'm from FL!), so it's a draw there. ;) Good luck w/ Pitt; I hope you hear soon. :luck: What are your thoughts?

QofQuimica said:
It's a tough decision; they're both eclectic, really research-oriented schools with diverse student bodies and very non-trad friendly. I plan to go second look at Chicago before making a final decision. I think for me it will really be a very subjective decision, because the costs are pretty much the same at both schools, and I don't think it's possible to go wrong with either one. I guess one big thing to think about is how much you like a more traditional curriculum like Chicago, where they are in class every day from 9-5, versus Pitt, which has the PBL and small group work. The city of Chicago is also going to have a higher COL, but on the flip side there is more to do there. I have to say though that I liked Pittsburgh a lot more than I expected to like it. I also like Chicago's smaller class compared to Pitt, but Pitt isn't outrageously huge. They both have crappy winter weather (I'm from FL!), so it's a draw there. ;) Good luck w/ Pitt; I hope you hear soon. :luck: What are your thoughts?

Well, I'm completely traditional, so the non-trad friendly thing isn't that important to me, but it would be nice to have a class made up of students who had taken very different paths to medical school. I don't plan on going to the Chicago second look...as much as I'd like to, I just can't afford it right now. *If* I were accepted to Pitt, I think I am still leaning towards Chicago, though. I lived in Pittsburgh my entire life (except I go to college in Atlanta) and I don't really want to go back--I'm huge on exploring new places and I don't have a lot of family ties preventing me from doing so. I think this is probably the biggest issue for me, so it's definitely subjective as well. I also really really like lectures and learn well that way...I know most people see that as a drawback to Chicago, but I see it as a perk. Pitt seems to work the PBL in well, though, and they still have their fair share of lectures...so I think their curriculum would be great too. I am having trouble deciding if I want all lectures or a mix...the mix seems more appealing right now, but in the end I feel like I'm the type of person would would start to think PBL is somewhat of a waste of time after awhile. Neither is downtown in their respective city, which is something I was hoping for, but doesn't look like it is going to happen. Also, the P/F system at Chicago is much more appealing than the H/HP/P/F system at Pitt with the standard deviation approach (I think I would be more okay with the "graded" system if it were based on cutoffs, and maybe even prefer it because I sadly thrive on stress). The administration at Chicago also seems more efficient and more helpful and responsive to student needs, and Pitt has lost my letters of rec and taken so long with the decision, it hasn't really impressed me in that sense. But Pitt seems to have better elective options, more of an emphasis on the neurosciences (something I have an interest in). I also had a bad experience with my faculty interviewer at Chicago who was very antagonistic, so I wasn't really impressed with the school until *after* I was accepted and they did such a great job keeping in touch with/answering questions from/sending information to accepted students. I also sat in on a biochemistry lecture there that wasn't extremely well-taught. Basically--I didn't get the "feeling" when I was there. I'm also not extremely interested in research anymore, but I really want to have the opportunity to try clinical research during medical school (I've done the bench research thing--not for me). Pitt offers an MPH and Chicago doesn't...which is something I am interested in. But I emailed Joni and she told me that many of their students do MPH's anyway by taking a year off...and it could be considered a blessing that they don't have an MPH program since you basically get to choose the program you want instead of being locked into your med school's program...which is a good point. Both have great match lists. Both will cost about the same. Both seem to have very happy students. Basically--it would be a tough decision.

midwest_turtle said:
congrats, i also interviewed on the 6th, and i got my packet today.

wishing the best to all of y'all who are still waiting.

I interviewed on the 6th as well.
I wonder if I got to talk to any of you.

Just wanted to say hi, I interviewed March 17 and was accepted today. I am from PGH.

Airzonk said:
Just wanted to say hi, I interviewed March 17 and was accepted today. I am from PGH.

interviewed on the 14th waiting to hear back, when i called the admissions office they said a decision has not been made yet.

should i email paula davis?

DNM503 said:
Pitt offers an MPH and Chicago doesn't...which is something I am interested in. But I emailed Joni and she told me that many of their students do MPH's anyway by taking a year off...and it could be considered a blessing that they don't have an MPH program since you basically get to choose the program you want instead of being locked into your med school's program...which is a good point.

there is a public health program at ui-c which, last i knew, is very well-regarded in the country. u of c instead has a "health studies" department, which does research and courses that range from epidemiology (public health research), health policy, clinical trials methods, and biostatistics. it tends to emphasize research over practice, for what it's worth. they offer an m.a. degree that many doctors on fellowship work toward. not sure how the department interfaces with med students.

mostwanted said:
interviewed on the 14th waiting to hear back, when i called the admissions office they said a decision has not been made yet.

should i email paula davis?

HI There - honestly - you can call the Office in a week to ask about your status, But in general - if even ONE of your interviewers took a while to turn in their Eval, that explains the extra time-wait you're experiencing. Fret not child - they haven't forgotten about you. We all know what it's like to wait!!!!

Try Buddhist transcendental meditation, or Bathad Yoga. :laugh:

;)

Just so all of you know, I had a med-student tell me that about 1/3 of the (finalized) Incoming Class is from the Wait-List. He was a 4th year, and interviewed me on the 17th. He also mentioned he was wait-listed all of 4 years ago ... so don't lose hope!

(PS: to boot - he matched at Hopkins for Pediatrics ---> go figure) :cool:

Algorhythmik said:
HI There - honestly - you can call the Office in a week to ask about your status, But in general - if even ONE of your interviewers took a while to turn in their Eval, that explains the extra time-wait you're experiencing. Fret not child - they haven't forgotten about you. We all know what it's like to wait!!!!

Try Buddhist transcendental meditation, or Bathad Yoga. :laugh:

;)

I think my interviewers left the country or something...
In the meantime, I decided I'm going to to to Pritzker instead of Pitt even if I get in...so...good luck to everyone who still cares. Somebody can have my spot if I'm lucky enough to be accepted. But right now I'd consider it lucky to be anything at all and put an end to this limbo.

-Miss I Interviewed 2/17 and AM STILL WAITING TO HEAR

SOMEBODY HASN'T READ MY POST ON BUDDHIST TRANSCENDENTAL MEDITATION AND RELAXATION-BREATHING TECHNIQUES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: <sigh> :mad: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Look on the bright-side Miss Impatient - at least you'll get to understand Bob Swersky and ... DA BEHRSSSS, and their unending devotion to Mek Ditkeh. lol

DarkFark said:
Oooh, was it that Hampton Inn? That place was the shiz.

agreed. nicest hampton inn I've been too. did anyone go to second-look weekend? i couldn't make it because it conflicted with another school's weekend, but I'm still seriously considering Pitt. I may visit it on my spring break. Did you learn anything new at second-look? How do the prospectives and current students seem?

I just got back from 2nd look this afternoon. The weekend was pretty good. The panel of 4th years made it seem like they had their chioce of residencies, which is nice, and everyone all weekend was very friendly. There were 127 of us prospectives there and it seemed as though about half of the people I talked to were at least 90% set on Pitt, and many 100% set on it, while others were considering a slew of schools, or were on waitlists at their institutions of preference. The prospectives, as well as the 1st year class, were all very cool and friendly. Most of the med students of all years seemed genuinely happy there. For some reason I really love the city of Pittsburgh, I dont know what it really is about it, but it just seems like the perfect size place for me. I just get that gut feeling when I'm there, that I would be happy. Anyways, hopefully they will show me the $$$ and help make my final decision, so that I dont have to worry about getting off the Cleveland Clinic hold list. I'd say i'm 90% set on Pitt at the moment even if I do get off the hold list. Hope to see many of you at orientation.

Jim