University of Pittsburgh SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a rising 2nd year... I think they emailed it to us last summer, but I don't remember.

Members don't see this ad.

bubblez said:
i was wondering how you guys plan on finding housing/roommates at Pitt? how long do you think it will take to find housing in Pittsburgh? i'm moving from cali...so...i have no clue. >_<

I'm flying to Pittsburgh next week to find housing. I'm hoping that 3 days will be enough time to find a place...

Does anyone know which property management companies we should seek out or avoid? Based on what I've read over the internet, it sounds like we should stay away from Mozart Management, John CR Kelly, and Lobos, while Sterling Land is pretty good. Does anybody have experience/advice?

I heard that this topic was addressed during 2nd Look Weekend, but I couldnt' afford to make the trip.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, i'm an upcoming first year along with you guys, looking for a roommate this coming year. (male, 21). i've been in pittsburgh for a while and have found a pretty nice two-bedroom apt at ruskin hall for $391/person/month. If you are interested at all, PM me and I can send you floor plans and get to knwo you or whatever. of course, i'm not set on ruskin hall; i'm just trying to find someone to live with at this point. ruskin hall, however, is in a great location in Oakland though, 10 minutes walking from UPMC and relatively close to Shadyside/Squirrel Hill/CMU.

wowzer said:
hey, i'm an upcoming first year along with you guys, looking for a roommate this coming year. (male, 21). i've been in pittsburgh for a while and have found a pretty nice two-bedroom apt at ruskin hall for $391/person/month. If you are interested at all, PM me and I can send you floor plans and get to knwo you or whatever. of course, i'm not set on ruskin hall; i'm just trying to find someone to live with at this point. ruskin hall, however, is in a great location in Oakland though, 10 minutes walking from UPMC and relatively close to Shadyside/Squirrel Hill/CMU.

Hey Wowzer,

They still have openings at Ruskin hall? How did you find out. I wanted to look at Ruskin but I thought that they were not taking applications anymore.

AGAPE487 said:
Hey Wowzer,

They still have openings at Ruskin hall? How did you find out. I wanted to look at Ruskin but I thought that they were not taking applications anymore.

Yeah I know when I called them in March about being placed on the waitlist they said they weren't accepting anymore applications

Hey wowzer!
Did you find a roommate? If not, please let me know and i will let you know more about myself. Thanks,

wowzer said:

Hey guys,

Has anyone actually gone to Pittsburgh to look for housing? If so what apartments have you been looking at? Does any current students have suggestions on where to live or look?

AGAPE487 said:
Hey guys,

Has anyone actually gone to Pittsburgh to look for housing? If so what apartments have you been looking at? Does any current students have suggestions on where to live or look?

I'm actually in Pittsburgh right now looking for housing. It hasn't been going too well so far. The affordable (~$500) 1 bedrooms in Squirrel Hill that I've seen so far have been total dumps. You probably need to spend around $700 to get a decent place in Squirrel Hill. I'll be checking out Highland Park tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll have more luck there. Supposedly, you can get more for your money there.

If not, I may be looking for a roommate...

HSteacher said:
I'm actually in Pittsburgh right now looking for housing. It hasn't been going too well so far. The affordable (~$500) 1 bedrooms in Squirrel Hill that I've seen so far have been total dumps. You probably need to spend around $700 to get a decent place in Squirrel Hill. I'll be checking out Highland Park tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll have more luck there. Supposedly, you can get more for your money there.

If not, I may be looking for a roommate...

Hey Steacher,
Let me know how it goes. I am coming to Pittsburgh to look around on Friday.Good luck with Highland Park.

I am starting my 3rd year now, and I was in your situation not too long ago. I checked out many places in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Oakland, South Side, etc... I ended up finding a 2 BR place that I shared with a roommate in Sq. Hill for $850 through Walnut Capital. Another place to look that is a bit cheaper (and actually where i bought a house) is in Greenfield. It is just across 376 east from Sq. Hill and the places are significantly cheaper. The buses are a little more hit and miss, so I would look more closely into that if you don't have a car, but otherwise I am very happy with Greenfield. If you need more information, let me know! Good luck with the search and the move out here!
Eric

surfej said:
I am starting my 3rd year now, and I was in your situation not too long ago. I checked out many places in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Oakland, South Side, etc... I ended up finding a 2 BR place that I shared with a roommate in Sq. Hill for $850 through Walnut Capital. Another place to look that is a bit cheaper (and actually where i bought a house) is in Greenfield. It is just across 376 east from Sq. Hill and the places are significantly cheaper. The buses are a little more hit and miss, so I would look more closely into that if you don't have a car, but otherwise I am very happy with Greenfield. If you need more information, let me know! Good luck with the search and the move out here!
Eric

Hey Eric,

Do you know of any 1-2 bedroom places in the Greenfield area. Now to get to school from Greenfield do you get on the high way or is there a street way. I heard that you should avoid highways/tunnels. Whats your take on that? I will be up in Pittsburgh this weekend and will be looking for places. Are the places in Greenfield apartment complexes or more houses/townhomes for rent. If you have any numbers or any places that you suggest me looking at it would be very helpful. Thanks for the help

Marquita

SungHyun7 said:
i'll be attending the pre-mat program.

by the way, what were the two books we were strongly advised to read before our matriculation? i think one of the titles was time to heal, but i forget the other.

anyhow, hope to see you all soon.

Can anyone give me some more information on the pre-mat program? I haven't heard from Pitt with this info. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
AGAPE487 said:
Hey Eric,

Do you know of any 1-2 bedroom places in the Greenfield area. Now to get to school from Greenfield do you get on the high way or is there a street way. I heard that you should avoid highways/tunnels. Whats your take on that? I will be up in Pittsburgh this weekend and will be looking for places. Are the places in Greenfield apartment complexes or more houses/townhomes for rent. If you have any numbers or any places that you suggest me looking at it would be very helpful. Thanks for the help

Marquita

You won't have to take any tunnels or highways (short car ride to school) if you live in Greenfield. You will be taking a bus or car everyday and the buses are pretty dependable. Greenfield can be a little rough. I have several friends that live and die Greenfield, they grew up there and will die there. If you go further down the hill you will see some real poverty. Try to stay further up the hill where the bus routes are. The rentals are usually houses and I suggest you look in a limited section of Greenfield or somewhere else.

Oakland is undergrad city. If you don't mind the 2:00am drunken trash fire, screaming, sirens, or parties then your cool. I lived on Dawson street my whole undergrad at Pitt. I lived on the other side of the Blvd. and it gets real shady on that side. I say this because someone mentioned a nice complex in oakland and I lived right by there. It wasn't near a bus route for school and walks at night are endearing.

Some else mentioned that the $500 rentals are dumps and I would say thats very accurate. If you plan on living alone in Shadyside or Squirrel Hill expect 700+ and that's not really that bad. If you look in the classifieds of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, especially on Sunday's, you will find some deals maybe even the $500 gem. Southside, Friendship, Highland Park you may find something (single) for $500. Perhaps i'm jaded from living outside of Pittsburgh to long but I don't find the rents excessive. If you have a roomate and pay 400-500 a piece you can find a very good place. Oh I know many students that lived in the East-End where $500 is the going price. It's by Frick park, D's hotdogs, etc..,

Happy Hunting.

If you need the heads up on anywhere, I was a city of Pittsburgh paramedic and can tell you where the call volume was.

oh and i'll see you in class.

I don't know of any houses/apartments for rent in Greenfield off the top of my head, but I would check the post-gazette classifieds online (East part of town, greenfield as keyword) or just drive around it a little bit and look for signs. The drive into Scaife takes about 8-12 minutes depending on traffic, and you don't have to get on the highway or go through any tunnels. I guess the best idea is to drive around, that way you can get a feel for the neighborhood and see what parts feel comfortable or not.
Eric

AGAPE487 said:
Hey Steacher,
Let me know how it goes. I am coming to Pittsburgh to look around on Friday.Good luck with Highland Park.

The Highland Park apartment was pretty nice, and it was only $485 a month. It was also right on the busline for the 71A, which goes straight to Pitt. I decided not to get it, though. It was just several blocks away from East Liberty, which looked pretty sketchy.

I actually got a good deal in Shadyside. I got a studio for $590 (heat and everything included, except for electric). The guy also showed me 2 other studios for $630. Their prices are pretty good for Shadyside, based on what I've seen in listings, and their buildings are extremely clean, quiet, and well-maintained. There are several doctors living in the building I'll be in (including a transplant surgeon), so I figured that it had to be pretty good. The neighborhood is absolutely beautiful and appears to be very safe.

I went through a company called Rockwel Realty, 412-362-3333.

Good luck in your search!

here's yet another housing question:

do we want to be close to the university, to the medical center, or somewhere in between?

thanks.

driving to pittsburgh from california in a few hrs!!

Hi! Another incoming M1 here!

Does anyone know when we will be able to post messages (to find a roommate) on Pitt's website? I called the admissions office and they said a letter about it would arrive last week, but it never came.

SungHyun7 said:

do we want to be close to the university, to the medical center, or somewhere in between?

thanks.

:eek: you're DRIVING OVER!?!?!? :eek:

how long will it take? i was thinking about driving over too....lol

Hey guys,
I went up to Pittsburgh this weekend to search for a place to live. I finally found one that I liked, but now I need a roommate (female). It's in Shadyside, and it's a two bedroom/two bath in an apartment building with many perks. The rent will be about $525/month/person + electric. Parking in the building's lot is free. I haven't signed the lease yet, but that should happen in a couple of days. I just got in off of the waitlist last week, so if everyone is already on another forum talking about this, I'm a little behind. Sorry.
Message me if you're interested.

SungHyun7 said:

thanks.

I don't think it really matters very much. I'd advise you to live near a busline that comes fairly often, though.

Hey everyone - just wanted to join the club and say hi. My wife and I will probably be in Pittsburgh next weekend looking at houses in Mount Lebanon. See everyone at white coat!

AGAPE487 said:
When is the white coat ceremony?

Sunday 8/13, and then orientation starts the next day. Classes start 8/21

Graat said:
Sunday 8/13, and then orientation starts the next day. Classes start 8/21

how did u know that i did not get papers about white coat or orientation

AGAPE487 said:
how did u know that i did not get papers about white coat or orientation

I found out by calling & asking.

I too am expecting to get some form of communication soon, though. It's been too long...

DarkFark said:
I found out by calling & asking.

I too am expecting to get some form of communication soon, though. It's been too long...

I know. I feel like I get all of my information from SDN. I go get the mail everyday hoping to get something from Pitt soon but everytime I look there is always nothing. If I can recall my acceptance letter said we would recieve mail regularly (lol). Do you guys know when we will get our Zone login information and all that good stuff.

When are all you guys moving to Pittsburgh? How has the apartment search gone?

AGAPE487 said:
I know. I feel like I get all of my information from SDN. I go get the mail everyday hoping to get something from Pitt soon but everytime I look there is always nothing. If I can recall my acceptance letter said we would recieve mail regularly (lol). Do you guys know when we will get our Zone login information and all that good stuff.

When are all you guys moving to Pittsburgh? How has the apartment search gone?

I feel the same way, too. I feel like we're just having to do everything on our own, without any help from the school. At the very least, they should have sent out housing info by now...

Fortunately, I've already found myself an apartment in Shadyside, and I'm currently in the process of booking my flight for the beginning of August.

Hey Guys, how are you doing? I am going to be in pittsburgh in about a week and a half to start looking for apartments. I would like to live with another medstudent and perferably a first-year. About myself; male 24 years old, from San Francisco. If anyone would like to pm me about living situations please feel free. I have no problem living with guys or girls and am pretty responsible, though I do like to have a good time every once in a while. However I am going to be completely honest and notify you that I am not 100% certain that I will be going to pittsburgh because I am still on a waitlist for a state school. However, my chances of getting into that state-school are pretty slim and if I don't hear sometime soon I am going to go to pittsburgh regardless.

Is anyone else going apartment-hunting in the beginning of August? I plan to fly in, stay with a friend, find an apt, then have my parents drive/ship my stuff in. I hope that will be enough time. Will anyone else be doing something similar?

soybean said:
Is anyone else going apartment-hunting in the beginning of August? I plan to fly in, stay with a friend, find an apt, then have my parents drive/ship my stuff in. I hope that will be enough time. Will anyone else be doing something similar?

I think that is to short a time to find a place unless you are trying to live anywhere and if you are look for a 1 bedroom, I would think that it would be nearly impossible. When I went a lot of the places were being rented and it was hard to find places and I just went this pass weekend. People are reserving places now to move in in the beginning of Aug. But good luck. I mean if your friend lets you stay at their house for an extended period of time then that will be fine.

Hey guys. I'm a third year med student and have a room available in my nice house for the upcoming year. Rent is $500/mo plus utilities. We have cable (including a big screen HD tv) and wireless internet. I have an Australian Shepherd who is really friendly. The house is right on numerous bus lines to campus and right across from Frick Park. If you're interested PM me.

[HSteacher]: I feel the same way, too. I feel like we're just having to do everything on our own, without any help from the school. At the very least, they should have sent out housing info by now...

I agree. I just called them today, and they hope to have it sent out by the end of this week. (Of course, they also said that last week too, but I'm optimistic it'll come soon.)

I'm planning on going out for a few days in July to look for an apartment, and then move in in August. Does that sound feasible?

Take care all!

CAdaisy said:
I'm planning on going out for a few days in July to look for an apartment, and then move in in August. Does that sound feasible?

Take care all!

you'll be fine. we've been checking out different places yesterday, and every apartment has someone leaving in the first week of august.

there is a brick house for sale at the very end of the centre street (the closest house to school) only a few houses away from the Dr. Starzl's residence.

Hey guys,
I just got back from pitt. I got fed up of looking and decided to live in washington plaza. Anyone know anyone there or living there that could critique it? Im moving in with a friend who is going for Carnegie Mellon phd program. We're in a large 2 bed and 2 bath apartment. Hope someone has some info, thanks.

zzman said:
Hey guys,
I just got back from pitt. I got fed up of looking and decided to live in washington plaza. Anyone know anyone there or living there that could critique it? Im moving in with a friend who is going for Carnegie Mellon phd program. We're in a large 2 bed and 2 bath apartment. Hope someone has some info, thanks.

Hey,

do you know how much it is for a 1bedroom there.

after looking at 14 places in north oakland & shadyside, i thought i share my findings.

best value i found was amberson plaza (NOT amberson garden) at 5030 centre ave. $786/month for a spacious one bdrm apt. shuttle picks up right in front of the building.

if you don't mind a longer communte, regency court at 6005 fifth ave is also very nice.

4750 centre ave: centre tower apartment. if you have a low sitting car & want a garage space, this won't work, but otherwise, i thought this place was very good.

233 north craig: cheaper, run-down, little far for walking, but ok. $550/1bdrm

3955 bigelow blvd: royal york. $790 for 1-bdrm. very secure but also very run-down imho. if you want to be close to school though, this would be it.

i thought schinley apartment right next to the royal york was also ok, but it's managed by mozart, so i thought i would stay away from that one.

in many parts of the town, line between a very good neighborhood & a very bad one can be very distinct and no more than 2 blocks long. try to stay away from the hill district.

may i also add that i think whoever designed the roads of pittsburgh must've been drunk when he/she designed it, so do get a map when you arrive. main roads curve around; some change names sporadically. in fact, none that i remember is straight for more than a mile & retain the same name. anyhow, it's fun once you get used to it... sort of. some roads also feel like a group of hulks recently tap danced on them. if you have a lowered suspension, raise it back up before entering the city.

AGAPE487 said:
Hey,

do you know how much it is for a 1bedroom there.

its about 800/month all utilities included, plus cable tv. internet is 50$ a month

anyone know when we start getting loan checks and such... i plan on calling tomorrow to ask, but thought someone may here may have already asked. I'm worried about paying rent an such... any thoughts?

zzman said:
anyone know when we start getting loan checks and such... i plan on calling tomorrow to ask, but thought someone may here may have already asked. I'm worried about paying rent an such... any thoughts?

Hey I think I read somewhere that we get our checks at the end of Aug. But did you get your MPN from the school of your got loans. They said they would be sending out paper work concerning fin. aid in mid June. But let me what what you find out when you call.

AGAPE487 said:
Hey I think I read somewhere that we get our checks at the end of Aug. But did you get your MPN from the school of your got loans. They said they would be sending out paper work concerning fin. aid in mid June. But let me what what you find out when you call.

mpn??

SungHyun7 said:
after looking at 14 places in north oakland & shadyside, i thought i share my findings.

best value i found was amberson plaza (NOT amberson garden) at 5030 centre ave. $786/month for a spacious one bdrm apt. shuttle picks up right in front of the building.

if you don't mind a longer communte, regency court at 6005 fifth ave is also very nice.

4750 centre ave: centre tower apartment. if you have a low sitting car & want a garage space, this won't work, but otherwise, i thought this place was very good.

233 north craig: cheaper, run-down, little far for walking, but ok. $550/1bdrm

3955 bigelow blvd: royal york. $790 for 1-bdrm. very secure but also very run-down imho. if you want to be close to school though, this would be it.

i thought schinley apartment right next to the royal york was also ok, but it's managed by mozart, so i thought i would stay away from that one.

in many parts of the town, line between a very good neighborhood & a very bad one can be very distinct and no more than 2 blocks long. try to stay away from the hill district.

may i also add that i think whoever designed the roads of pittsburgh must've been drunk when he/she designed it, so do get a map when you arrive. main roads curve around; some change names sporadically. in fact, none that i remember is straight for more than a mile & retain the same name. anyhow, it's fun once you get used to it... sort of. some roads also feel like a group of hulks recently tap danced on them. if you have a lowered suspension, raise it back up before entering the city.

Franklin West apartments are also GREAT apartments. Well they look nice. But it can be a little pricey.

AGAPE487 said:
Masters of Promissary Note

oh... do you knoiw how much we get for rent an living expenses in general??

zzman said:

I called, they will be sening out MPNs in a week or two. The lady I talked to said to expect the refund check in September :eek:

wuironl said:
I called, they will be sening out MPNs in a week or two. The lady I talked to said to expect the refund check in September :eek:

September!!! The beginning or the end do you know?

AGAPE487 said:
September!!! The beginning or the end do you know?

I'm not sure actually. I was assuming the beginning of September. Man, Pitt has been really slow when it comes to paper work.