University of Pittsburgh SOM Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, anyone (female) looking for an apartment or a roommate? I've been looking at places in Shadyside, but singles are pretty pricey. I live in Pittsburgh, but I'll only be around for the next few days before going out of the country for a month...please send me a message if anyone's got a place and is looking for a roomie or if you're also still looking for apts! =)

Members don't see this ad.

I just noticed that the cost of attendance on my financial aid form is higher than the $56,958 listed on the Pitt website. Is it the same for you guys as well?

HSteacher said:
I just noticed that the cost of attendance on my financial aid form is higher than the $56,958 listed on the Pitt website. Is it the same for you guys as well?

The price listed on the website is the estimated cost. I'm a PA resident and my financial aid award is slightly higher than the anticipated cost (around $200).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I got accepted back in November and haven't gotten around to posting here, so I thought I would drop in and say hello.

Speaking of housing, I found a 1Br apartment in shadyside just about a block off 5th Ave, seemed like a good area real close to the bus lines and things. Look forward to seeing you all in August!!
Chris

HSteacher said:

Hey,

You know on the fin. aid sheet they had us fill out If you put more money on it than the estimated 56,000 then they basically gave it to you since what was online was only estimated and if you requested more than the estimated cost they pretty much gave it to you.

does anyone know what time class starts first year

go to the zone, click on medstudent directory, type in 2010, click search, and you'll see the names of all our classmates!!

RandomGuy said:
does anyone know what time class starts first year

Anatomy will start at 8 pretty much every day. Then you'll start having class starting between 8-9 from then on.

soybean said:
go to the zone, click on medstudent directory, type in 2010, click search, and you'll see the names of all our classmates!!

That's pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

Send my love to Paula Davis in diversity affairs! I ended up choosing another school, but I will never forget how sweet she was :)

NubianPrincess said:
Send my love to Paula Davis in diversity affairs! I ended up choosing another school, but I will never forget how sweet she was :)

No problem, I will tell her the Nubian Princess sends her love... :laugh:

There was a small update on the zone today for those of you who are obsessed with checking (myself included). Under my class there is a bit of info on orientation (although its only a paragraph), white coat and immunizations. Thought I'ld let ya'll know... can you tell I am bored this summer?? ;)

PegasisGMS said:
There was a small update on the zone today for those of you who are obsessed with checking (myself included). Under my class there is a bit of info on orientation (although its only a paragraph), white coat and immunizations. Thought I'ld let ya'll know... can you tell I am bored this summer?? ;)

I read the letter about telling them the size for the white coat but I could not find the form on the zone they were referring to in the letter. Did you find it?

Members don't see this ad :)
AGAPE487 said:
I read the letter about telling them the size for the white coat but I could not find the form on the zone they were referring to in the letter. Did you find it?

Nah, think thats to be added yet... along with the site where we actually enroll or waive the health insurance

just fyi,

for the incoming, do yourselves a huge favor & avoid the roomful express furniture store.

3 of us ordered everything from bookcases, desk, and mattress over the last few weeks, and all 3 of us ended up cancelling due to delays after delays.

and yes, there are many rooms available in ruskin right now regardless of what you've heard or read. if you want parking, it's either $120/month in a secure hotel garage one block away or $160/month on an open parking lot right next door.

hope you all have a safe trip to pitt

White coat ceremony is August 13th and orientation is the 14th. Classes begin on the 21st and they pretty much start at 8:00am everyday. See you in August! ;-)

I have heard consistently across the board that Ruskin is pretty hard to get into. Let me put this rumor to rest. I am currently living in Ruskin right now and it was not difficult at all to get an apartment. I think this rumor of the difficulty of finding housing in Ruskin has prevented a lot of people from even attempting to look there.

The rent is cheap and it includes all utilities except internet and cable. If you are lucky and know of any people that live near you, you can actually share an internet wireless connection and save yourself even more money. If you are looking for housing and want to be really close to campus then you should consider it.

My best advice to you is to call the Housing Property management office and ask to speak to Kevin Stiles. He is the property manager for Ruskin Hall. He is a great guy and will bend over backwards to get you an apartment that you would like in this building.

Though here is a word of warning: Ruskin is being converted into undergraduate housing next year, so if you are looking to stay where you are for the next four years, then this is clearly not a wise move. However, there is no need to worry; the school is currently building new housing for the medical students that is actually closer to Scaife Hall, so there will be campus housing for medical students next year. Happy Hunting!!

TLucio said:
White coat ceremony is August 13th and orientation is the 14th. Classes begin on the 21st and they pretty much start at 8:00am everyday. See you in August! ;-)

What time do classes typically end?

AGAPE487 said:

That is a wonderful question that I can't answer. Too bad Pitt isn't better at letting us know what is going on.

AGAPE487 said:

full day mon-thurs. half day on friday.

i believe full days end around 4-5pm. friday should end around noon.

SungHyun7 said:
full day mon-thurs. half day on friday.

i believe full days end around 4-5pm. friday should end around noon.

Typically we had 2-3 afternoons off a week. Only 1 day is usually just plain basic science lecture, then you'll typically have 1 day where you have either interviewing/physical exam. And then one day you'll have touchy-feely or stats class in the morning and some lecture in the afternoon. So usually only one day is ridiculously painful.

I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything about books; which ones are good to have, which are not so useful. I know our booklist isn't up yet but tryin to get rough idea of how much I'll be spending on books this year off of last year's booklist on the zone. Any thoughts?

I was wondering, did any of you get in off of the waitlist, and if so, did the Admissions office tell you what fin. aid you would recieve if you came here, or did you have to make the decision without regard to financial aid? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does anybody living in Ruskin need a roommate? PM me if you're interested, and I'll send you a profile.

Anyone else pick up our little reading assignment? Or already read it at some point? (I'm sure at least a few have). I have nothing better to do so I jumped right in. Interesting stuff, but sobering.

DarkFark said:
Anyone else pick up our little reading assignment? Or already read it at some point? (I'm sure at least a few have). I have nothing better to do so I jumped right in. Interesting stuff, but sobering.

Somehow, I never heard about our reading assignment. What is it?

Thanks

RandomGuy said:
Somehow, I never heard about our reading assignment. What is it?

Thanks

The email was sent to the mail.medstudent.pitt.edu address a couple days ago. It reads:

Memorandum

To: Medical Student Class of 2010

David Orenstein MD

RE: Assignment for Introduction to Being a Physician

Date: June 20, 2006

We would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine. As the Directors for the course entitled Introduction to Being a Physician, we are assigning a book for you to read over the summer that will be discussed in small group sessions with your fellow students on Monday afternoon August 21, 2006.

The book is Complications A Surgeon’s Note on an Imperfect Science, by Atul Gawande, a surgeon at Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women's Hospital. One review describes this book as “…essential reading for anyone involved in medicine--on either end of the stethoscope.” It is both entertaining and instructive in describing many of the situations that arise in medical training from a very human perspective.

Some of the areas to consider for potential discussion when you arrive in August are:

* The comfort level of patients who have “new” doctors providing some of their care.

* The comfort level of a medical student in approaching a new patient for the first time and asking questions considered very personal outside the field of medicine.

* How certain can a physician be that a correct diagnosis is made and that the correct treatment is given

* What does it feel like not to know what is causing a patient’s problems (or, for that matter, not know a LOT of stuff – this will be new to many of you).

* How will the study and practice of medicine affect your own life

Enjoy the book, as well as your summer. We look forward to meeting you in August.

Hey there, you crazy kids, I figured it was time I got myself in this little game. I was accepted to Pitt on FRIDAY (yes, we DO have mid-July), which saved me some of the efforts of applying to German med school. I'm lucky enough to live in the Burgh, and will more than likely still be living at home when classes start but will probably be looking for a roomie after that. Maybe. I have one thing to say, and I suggest you learn it well:

HERE WE GO, STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

You are entering the city of the Superbowl Champions. Show some respect.

Hey All,
So I got accepted sometime in November and after all the "why havent you gone on SDN yet" from other medstudents I know, I finally decided to read up on what has been going on in the forum the last couple of months.
Im from Los Angeles and nervous about moving to the cold since we have no seasons here.
Im searching for an apt too and Im stressing out bc it seems like every place I call for an apt is booked. Its not that practical for me to make a trip out to Pitt now so Im trying to do it all over the web, which is proving to be quite a task.
Im looking for a 2 bed 2 bath with parking and I was wondering if anyone had any good leads. Brangelina you mentioned you went to Pitt and found one but it was a month ago. I was wondering if you had the info for your place and if they still had availibilities.
Im def glad that I read the postings bc I was pretty close to signing a lease with Mozart and now Im totally rethinking it.
Brangelina said:
Hey guys,
I went up to Pittsburgh this weekend to search for a place to live. I finally found one that I liked, but now I need a roommate (female). It's in Shadyside, and it's a two bedroom/two bath in an apartment building with many perks. The rent will be about $525/month/person + electric. Parking in the building's lot is free. I haven't signed the lease yet, but that should happen in a couple of days. I just got in off of the waitlist last week, so if everyone is already on another forum talking about this, I'm a little behind. Sorry.
Message me if you're interested.

Joonster10 said:
Hey All,
So I got accepted sometime in November and after all the "why havent you gone on SDN yet" from other medstudents I know, I finally decided to read up on what has been going on in the forum the last couple of months.
Im from Los Angeles and nervous about moving to the cold since we have no seasons here.
Im searching for an apt too and Im stressing out bc it seems like every place I call for an apt is booked. Its not that practical for me to make a trip out to Pitt now so Im trying to do it all over the web, which is proving to be quite a task.
Im looking for a 2 bed 2 bath with parking and I was wondering if anyone had any good leads. Brangelina you mentioned you went to Pitt and found one but it was a month ago. I was wondering if you had the info for your place and if they still had availibilities.
Im def glad that I read the postings bc I was pretty close to signing a lease with Mozart and now Im totally rethinking it.

Hey Joonstar,
At such a late date you could try Ruskin.. I think they still have openings. Also do you know what area you are looking for. Franklin West in Shadyside should still have apartments but they are a little pricey but if you are gonna have a roommate then it would not be too back for a 2br/2ba. Also there are apartments/townhousing near the school I think its called Crawford. They had two bed rooms places when i went there but it is not located in a good area. Well that's all i can think if. I found it helpful to get a friend from pittsburgh to send me an apartment book that list all the apartments and I just called about every apartment in the book. So that was helpful. Yea and stay away from Mozart when I went to Pitt to look for apartments they did not seem that great. Good Luck with your search! :)

Hey Guys,

If any of you recieved the e-mail about the loans a MPN I had a question for you financial people out there. Which loan do you think is the better one to go with. I was looking and I thin it is the AES Keystone loan it seems to offer the best deductions. I really did not look into the salliemae one because I heard its a really bad loan to go with for all of those considering saliemae. They just had some thing about how salliemae is a bad loan on 60 mintues or something like that. Well let me know which ones you guys think are the best and why please?

Thanks
Agape

Im def glad that I read the postings bc I was pretty close to signing a lease with Mozart and now Im totally rethinking it

Hi,

First of all, stay away from Lobos and Mozart. I know everyone has said that a million times, but after seeing some of their places, it really needs to be emphasized. You could look on apartmentratings.com (I think that's the address) to see what other people have to say about buildings around school. Franklin West has nice places, so if you're not going to be able to see any, you can pretty much bet that any of their apartments will be fine. Avoid Oak Hill. They're cheap and new, but the area is pretty awful. You could also look on craigslist for people needing roommates.

Good luck!!!

hi everyone....

i found a 1BR apt in shadyside pretty close to campus for $550/month, utilities included plus electricity.

i just got off the waitlist at my state school so will be withdrawing from pitt. this was one of the worst decisions i've had to make in this application process because i loved pitt but financially it was going to be difficult for me.

anyways....so i'm looking for someone to take over the apt for me. if anyone is interested PM me. thanks a lot!

Does anyone know around what time they put up the booklist for this year>?

I'm new to this: how/when do we get our Pitt email addresses? And how do we get our user names and passwords for The Zone? After my elation over my acceptance subsided, I find myself left with not much other than that. That, and an apartment -- closed on it yesterday! Help?

You guys need to download "Decatur" by Sufjan Stevens. Not because it has anything to do with Pitt. It's just a really great song.

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of starting a facebook group to further centralize our group discussions and start putting names to faces. I know this is being done and some other schools. Who's in??

Hey -
So we just bought a house ~10mi from campus. We're closing on 8/1. If anyone feels like some manual labor to take the edge off of waiting for classes to start feel free to drop me a line as we plan to do a little remodeling :)
I'm hoping to host a BBQ soon.

I'm in!

wowzer said:
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of starting a facebook group to further centralize our group discussions and start putting names to faces. I know this is being done and some other schools. Who's in??

Hi! does anyone know how our my.pitt.edu portal password was created?eg. first letter of first name plus last four digits of SSN. I'm out of the country and can't access the letter they sent us a while back. Thanks in advance!

soybean said:
Hi! does anyone know how our my.pitt.edu portal password was created?eg. first letter of first name plus last four digits of SSN. I'm out of the country and can't access the letter they sent us a while back. Thanks in advance!

its first letter of last name 1st 4 of social and first letter of first name

That's the password combination for our medschool email account, are you sure the [email protected] assigned password is the same?

AGAPE487 said:
its first letter of last name 1st 4 of social and first letter of first name

soybean said:
That's the password combination for our medschool email account, are you sure the [email protected] assigned password is the same?

oh I am sorry, I misunderstood your question. They send you a letter in the mail regarding you my.pitt e-mail address but they have not sent anything to that address so there is nothing to worry about. But you could call the computer services of the university to find out about your particular password. its not the same as the med-school password

Oh man, you guys, I'm getting pumped! Less than a month, holla!

P.S. Is it embarrassing that I just requested to join our newly-formed facebook group? Is it also embarrassing that I just looked up how to spell "embarrassing" on dictionary.com?

Black&Gold said:
Oh man, you guys, I'm getting pumped! Less than a month, holla!

P.S. Is it embarrassing that I just requested to join our newly-formed facebook group? Is it also embarrassing that I just looked up how to spell "embarrassing" on dictionary.com?

Horribly embarrassing. I don't know about you guys, but I'm a billionaire genius with super-powers and perfect teeth. ;)

See that? That winky face? Now that's embarrassing.

In town on the 9th - hope that won't be too late.
Also, I will trade manual labor of fixing things up for walking boxes up a staircase. Doesn't THAT sound like fun!
PS Don't think I can have a BBQ, but I have a fridge - so cold beer usually sells!

Graat said:
Hey -
So we just bought a house ~10mi from campus. We're closing on 8/1. If anyone feels like some manual labor to take the edge off of waiting for classes to start feel free to drop me a line as we plan to do a little remodeling :)
I'm hoping to host a BBQ soon.

Allow me to get personal for a moment and share with all of you the dream I had last night. I was at a wedding in Kentucky (note: I know zero people in Kentucky) and was getting a bit desperate because the Pitt-Penn State football game was on and I wasn't sure how I was going to watch it. I finally found some wedding staff and they turned it on. The staff are always the coolest ones.

On that note, anyone thinking about doing season tix? I think my dad and I might be. As graduates, we can purchase one ticket in the student section for $49 or up to two in the Graduate Student and Recent Graduate Section at 50% off, aka $99 apiece. That's not cheap. But Heinz Field is SWEET and I love football more than medicine. (Paula, if you're reading this, I'm just kidding. Dave Wannstedt, if YOU'RE reading this, I'm not). And even if you guys don't get season tickets, I highly suggest the Backyard Brawl against WVU, November 16. And yes, I just checked, it is the day after an exam. P-I-T-T!

By the way, that's one ticket for all 7 games. Aka either $49 or $99 gets you a season ticket. Or they're $10 per game in the student section, and I'm not sure about the graduate section.

See yinz soon!

Black&Gold said:
Allow me to get personal for a moment and share with all of you the dream I had last night. I was at a wedding in Kentucky (note: I know zero people in Kentucky) and was getting a bit desperate because the Pitt-Penn State football game was on and I wasn't sure how I was going to watch it. I finally found some wedding staff and they turned it on. The staff are always the coolest ones.

On that note, anyone thinking about doing season tix? I think my dad and I might be. As graduates, we can purchase one ticket in the student section for $49 or up to two in the Graduate Student and Recent Graduate Section at 50% off, aka $99 apiece. That's not cheap. But Heinz Field is SWEET and I love football more than medicine. (Paula, if you're reading this, I'm just kidding. Dave Wannstedt, if YOU'RE reading this, I'm not). And even if you guys don't get season tickets, I highly suggest the Backyard Brawl against WVU, November 16. And yes, I just checked, it is the day after an exam. P-I-T-T!

I don't think I'd be able to attend more than a couple games (I heard once that medical students are busy alot) but I'd be interested in going at some point, sure. One of the few significant shortcomings of my undergraduate experience was the lack of a division 1 football team at my school (although being national champions of D-1 lacrosse softened that blow...). But still, I feel like I'd be more fulfilled person if there was a college football team in which I had a rooting interest, and if maybe I went to a couple games. Count me in.