University of Pittsburgh vs. University of Pennsylvania

slakker

New Member
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2006
9
0
Status
How are the two schools different? How should I decide which one of the two I should apply to? How's the ranking of the two schools compare?

Thanks in advance!!
 

QuantumMechanic

Avatar=One of the Greats
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
2,455
2
Hilbert Space
Status
Medical Student
slakker said:
How are the two schools different? How should I decide which one of the two I should apply to? How's the ranking of the two schools compare?

Thanks in advance!!
look at their websites maybe?
 

Severus

FTSM!
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
11,107
102
teh OR
Status
Resident [Any Field]
slakker said:
How are the two schools different? How should I decide which one of the two I should apply to? How's the ranking of the two schools compare?

Thanks in advance!!
Penn's like 3rd in the country according to USNews. Pitt's something in the top 20 or something. Both are excellent schools, though, so it shouldn't really matter. Philly is probably a more interesting city, and is a hub, so it's pretty easy to weekend in NYC if you want.
 
About the Ads

Quix

Herr Professor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2006
2,660
8
43
Lake Charles, LA
Status
Academic Administration
Severus said:
Penn's like 3rd in the country according to USNews. Pitt's something in the top 20 or something. Both are excellent schools, though, so it shouldn't really matter. Philly is probably a more interesting city, and is a hub, so it's pretty easy to weekend in NYC if you want.
Bite your tongue about Philly being more interesting. We have the reigning Superbowl champions, museums, the symphony, ballet, great nightlife, etc., etc. Not that there is an intra-Pennsylvania rivalry or anything. Really. At all. ;)
 

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2004
1,922
10
Procrastination Island
Visit site
Status
slakker said:
How should I decide which one of the two I should apply to?
Look at a copy of the MSAR.

Then apply to both! :p
 

Sol Rosenberg

Long Live the New Flesh!
10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
3,534
7
Living in America
Status
Attending Physician
While much less of a sh!+hole than it was when I lived there for 4+ years, Pittsburgh is not really an exciting place to live. Great nightlife? From the like 2-3 clubs in the Strip District filled with old(er) yinzers? Are you kidding me?

On the good side, Pittsburgh is generally pretty safe (just stay out of the Hill district which, unfortunately, borders Pitt) and it's probably not a bad place to raise a family nowadays. Every couple of months, when I lived there, people were being gunned down in Oakland (where Pitt is,) usually in front of "the O" (is that still there?) so I would stay out of Oakland after dark (esp. on weekends) if possible.

Oh yeah, it can get REALLY cold (even colder than Philly because of extra cool air from Lake Erie.)

I still visit Pgh every so often to recruit people from my old school and things HAVE gotten better, but I still think Philly is a more exciting place.
 

Severus

FTSM!
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
11,107
102
teh OR
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Quix said:
Bite your tongue about Philly being more interesting. We have the reigning Superbowl champions, museums, the symphony, ballet, great nightlife, etc., etc. Not that there is an intra-Pennsylvania rivalry or anything. Really. At all. ;)

As I'm technically a mid-stater (the horror!!), I'm completely impartial in this matter. :p
 

kidthor

meep
10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2005
736
323
Status
Attending Physician
I could be wrong, but doesn't UPenn have a really short secondary? That might be a good reason to apply...
 

Severus

FTSM!
10+ Year Member
Jul 3, 2004
11,107
102
teh OR
Status
Resident [Any Field]
kidthor said:
I could be wrong, but doesn't UPenn have a really short secondary? That might be a good reason to apply...

No essays! :D
 

beaverfetus

poo-tee-weet?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
276
2
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Medical Student
my dad who is an endocrinologist, recently referred to pitt as an "up and coming juggernaught." granted he is a specialist and has a limited view, but he swears that a veritable "buzz" surrounds pitt.
 

xanthomondo

nom nom nom
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2006
15,650
20
the island of Doctor Moreau
Status
Resident [Any Field]
who would you rather root for

the pittsburgh penguins, who year after year, suck
orrr
the philadelphia flyers, who year after year....suck

oh hell, apply to both, worry about which is better if youre accepted to both
 
About the Ads