University of Pittsburgh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Asrai

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is no one applying to Pitt? It seems like I'm the only one on this forum that goes to Pitt, and that very few are applying this year. We're not all that bad, I promise! Better than some other schools down the way :p

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying!:)

I am applying and it would be pretty great to get in since I am in state and I love the Pittsburgh area. I just need to send in the supplemental application, which should take about 30 minutes to complete. Also, I am awaiting my PCAT score from October (the composite needs to be >70% for consideration). I will keep my fingers crossed.

Asrai, how do you like the program? Do you have time to work and take classes/study? Any helpful information?

Members don't see this ad :)
Asrai, how do you like the program? Do you have time to work and take classes/study? Any helpful information?

I like the program...the only problem is that many of the teachers tend not to speak english :(. Our biochem teachers are the worst, but whatever. I have time to do everything (for the most part). I work 10 or so hours on the weekends, do all my school stuff during the week. There are fraternities/sororities you can join (i didn't...im a non-joiner, but hey, its an option), plenty of stuff to keep you interested.

As for helpful advice: If you get in and plan to live in an apartment, look early!!! I live in South Oakland and its...interesting. I lucked out and got a decent apartment, but most of them are just gross.

The only complaint I really have is that a lot of the first year stuff seems to be a waste of time...it feels pointless, yet we're all struggling anyway. I'm not sure, but i have been told by P-2/P-3's that it gets better (or at least more relevant). You should definitely come if you get accepted, its a good program...they try their best to improve anything you think needs help. The faculty and dean are really involved with the classes, and just want the best students they can produce.

I'm applying to Pittsburgh :) Has anybody heard anything from them?

I'm applying to Pittsburgh :) Has anybody heard anything from them?

Pitt is not a rolling admission school so they will not begin reviewing application and interviewing until after the supplimental application deadline in January.

Is no one applying to Pitt? It seems like I'm the only one on this forum that goes to Pitt, and that very few are applying this year. We're not all that bad, I promise! Better than some other schools down the way :p

Hahaha....count me in the applicant pool...have December deadlines coming up otherwise I would have applied already...I am an international student applying there....so 10 times the paperwork (shrugs).....but Pitt is definitely in....

Well, we had our interviews at the end of January/beginning of February (I estimated that they interviewed about 100 people for 50 spots...the other 50 are generally taken from conditional acceptance students), and found out if we got in or not in April. So good luck to you guys, its a hard wait lol

I always open all of the Pitt related threads in an attempt to find something to make fun of in between the annual opportunity I'm afforded at laughing at their football team.

****......you must be talkin' about the one over the way due West on Forbes Ave and not the superior one that actually is down the way.

Oh, and your football team sucks.

I've actually liked all of the Pitt students I've worked with, though. The two Duquesne students I've worked with creeped me the hell out. One of them ate bread dipped in ice water every day for lunch. Who the hell does that?

I was waiting for you to show up in this thread somewhere, I knew you couldn't resist. And of course I'm talking about Duquesne...but you know, I would exclude any other schools either ;)

And yes, our football team does suck. I have gone to one game and thank god I was drunk for it. But oh well, at least we have the Steelers.

I've never met any Duquesne students personally...but I'm sure they're weird. Thats what happens when you get stuck in downtown Pittsburgh with all the crazies. But of course you like the Pitt students...what's not to love about us :)

I also applied to Pitt. Haven't heard anything yet, though

Hey Asrai, any idea what the average PCAT score is? I know that the conditional acceptance students don't need to take it but I was wondering if you knew what people in your class scored. I know that you need >70% comp. to be considered. I barely made it and I really hope that it doesn't hurt my application.

Hi, I am applying to PITT, can you give a ballpark # of the total cost for an out of state. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe tuition for out of state students is around $22,000. You can find the exact number on the website, but it will probably be from last year.

Yesterday (Friday, 1/18) I just received an invitation to interview at Pitt! Time to start getting excited, folks! Good luck to us all.

Yesterday (Friday, 1/18) I just received an invitation to interview at Pitt! Time to start getting excited, folks! Good luck to us all.

Congratulations! Maybe I'll be seeing you around...good luck on the interview!

Hey Pharm2316 around what day did you submit your supplemental materials for Pitt?

CAn you share your statistic?

Hey Pharm2316 around what day did you submit your supplemental materials for Pitt?

just so you know, if its anything like last year, it doesn't matter when you submitted your materials (as long as it was before now, or their deadline, whenever that was). All the interviews they do are at the same time, within a 2 week time period I believe.

I got an invite to interview this past Friday as well and it's scheduled for this coming Thursday. I submitted my Pharmcas at the end of October and my supplemental around Dec. 29ish.

I got an invite to interview this past Friday as well and it's scheduled for this coming Thursday. I submitted my Pharmcas at the end of October and my supplemental around Dec. 29ish.

how did you get the invite,snail mail or email??

Yea I got mine through email as well. Still haven't called to see what interview times are available thought....:(

Would the people who received interview invites mind sharing their stats? Also, do you have a degree?

I received an interview invite from Pitt the other day. Stats are the following:

GPA: 3.90
Science GPA: 3.96
PCAT: 93

Also I'm out of state. I think that does make a difference but I'm not sure.

Extracurriculars: not a whole lot but a couple days of shadowing a pharmacist, a couple months of volunteer work at a low income health clinic and some other bs stuff

I'm debating whether or not to go. I just had an interview at Albany that went pretty well and have one coming up at Buffalo. Unless anyone thinks I'm making a huge mistake I doubt I'd go to Pitt even if I got in. Not to mention I'm now having doubts about pharmacy....the story of my life...what the hell do I want to do with it...

Just received the interview email! I don't know which day I will schedule my interview though. There is a Pittsburgh Penguins game on Thursday, Feb. 7th so I think I will shoot for that day!

Hey gang, anybody have any news to share? I interviewed first week of Feb and heard that absolutely all admission decision letters are mailed out by April 14, as posted on PharmCAS, but some people might receive theirs earlier. I heard possibly the earliest would be early to mid March. Hope to hear soon so I can make plans for fall. I heard there can be quite a housing rush.

Hey gang, anybody have any news to share? I interviewed first week of Feb and heard that absolutely all admission decision letters are mailed out by April 14, as posted on PharmCAS, but some people might receive theirs earlier. I heard possibly the earliest would be early to mid March. Hope to hear soon so I can make plans for fall. I heard there can be quite a housing rush.

I would suggest looking for a place to live as soon as you get your letter. I waited until the end of June (I had moved away for the summer), and lets just say that I got extremely lucky. Look at lots of places over the course of a weekend or so...if you find a place you like, get it before its gone (especially if you live in oakland....other neighborhoods seem to have more open housing sometimes, but its a matter if you want to take the bus every day or not). Good luck!

April? That's sooo long to wait! :confused:

No joke! Just trying to stay optimistic - no news is good news until then. Asrai, I appreciate the housing advice and I have two more questions if you don't mind... when you got your notice of admission, did it come by email or regular mail? I got the interview notice by email. Second question, I'm going to have to replace my laptop by fall. Do many... or any, for that matter... of your classmates bring them along to lectures to type notes? My typing is much better (and faster) than my handwriting. Any other computer suggestions? Thanks. Hang in there, everybody!

I applied to Univ. Pitts last year in November and I didn't hear from them yet. Do they have interviews in march and april?

I had my interview in early February. I know that last year there were some interviews in early March but there were none in April since that is when they notify everyone who interviewed of the final decision.

Thanks BlueHens66. If I don't hear from them till end of march I will get letter of "rejection" in April 15. It was my first choice anyway.

I interviewed on Valentine's Day and they never gave us a ball park as to when they'll let us know. I know that their website says April 15th, but they didn't even say that to us in the interview.

I'm pretty sure Pitt is done interviewing now, and from what I heard they sent out the acceptance/ waitlisted/ rejection letters to the interviewees in mid-March last year.

I'm pretty sure Pitt is done interviewing now, and from what I heard they sent out the acceptance/ waitlisted/ rejection letters to the interviewees in mid-March last year.

Yeah, that's what I heard too -- but that's, so to speak, their "first wave" of letters. Absolutely everybody's gets sent out by April 14th. Does anyone know if they also send an email or should we just be on the look out for snail mail?

I had asked this earlier, but does anyone have any thoughts about using your laptop in class to type notes versus traditional paper? A lot of people did this in my undergrad but wasn't sure about pharmacy.

I heard you find out by email

As to the laptop question, I'm not sure. All I heard related to thatis that all the teachers do powerpoints and that the students go through all their paper that the University alots for each semester. So I guess that means that print them out and use them for class to write notes along with.

I received my acceptance email today but have decided to attend Nova.

Got the email today - See you in the fall!! :luck:

**Pittsburgh - Class of 2012**​

Just got the acceptance email today too =] How many of you are pitt residents? I'm out of state myself. I hear they take over half from their conditional acceptance pool.

Here's some questions for any current pitt pharmacy students: How are the classes structured in terms of group projects/presentations, labs, discussions, etc? And where do most of the pharm students live? Since half the students already know each other going in, is everyone mostly friends with each other or is it cliquey?

Got the email today - See you in the fall!! :luck:

**Pittsburgh - Class of 2012**​

Congrats to everyone receiving their Pitt acceptances!

I also received mine through e-mail, but I have declined it, because I have accepted an offer from UCSF.

So... one more spot for someone! :)

Just got the acceptance email today too =] How many of you are pitt residents? I'm out of state myself. I hear they take over half from their conditional acceptance pool.

Here's some questions for any current pitt pharmacy students: How are the classes structured in terms of group projects/presentations, labs, discussions, etc? And where do most of the pharm students live? Since half the students already know each other going in, is everyone mostly friends with each other or is it cliquey?
I'm coming from Philly. I heard if you have a degree already, you're eleigible for graduate student housing. Anyone have any opinions on it? Or any suggestions on how to find a roommate if you're new to the area?

I'm just a P1, so take this for what its worth:

Classes are structured so that its mostly just lectures. Profession of Pharmacy does a lot of group stuff, and Principles of Drug Action/Drug Development have practicums where you work with groups sometimes (you are assigned a group every semester...new semester, new group, you do all group projects with them for that semester). No labs yet, but we have experiential learning where you go to a site...but other than that, lots of lectures.

As for where most people live...some live in dorms, others in apartments in Oakland/Shadyside. It just depends on what you want. I was over the whole dorm idea, plus I live with my boyfriend, so I have an apartment. If you're going the apartment route...look now, they go fast. As for finding a roommate...its by luck. I know there used to be a site you could post to, but I never used it so I dont know much about it. If you want to know more send me a message, I can find out.

A lot of people know eachother, others dont know anyone. My class is a bit clicky, but we all still sort of blend together. Its weird, but it works I guess. There will always be the super ridiculously smart people, the frat/sorority people, and your typical groups, but everyone tends to be in multiple "groups" so its not too bad. You see the same 108 people every single day of your life...you get used to them.

As for the laptop discussion, don't bother. You'll get powerpoint slides for every single class. Just go print them off, write on them if you think its necessary. I still had plenty of university paper left over at the end of the semester. Some teachers will just give you the packet because they don't understand courseweb and can't figure out how to post them up. Laptops are good for when you meet with your group for projects outside of class, but there is no need for them in class at all.

And yea...thats what I got so far lol. anything else you can think of? I think I may be the only current Pitt student here...

For the people that were accepted on the 18th and 19th, when did you interview? Also, how many of you are out-of-state?

Does anyone know if Pitt holds a wait list?

For the people that were accepted on the 18th and 19th, when did you interview? Also, how many of you are out-of-state?

Does anyone know if Pitt holds a wait list?

technically, they have a wait list. But they wont tell you that your on it. They just send out the first round of letters, make those people respond within a week or two, and then send out the next round of letters to fill any empty spots. Thats how it worked last year, and I was definitely on the second round of letters.

Good news everyone...the admissions committee finished up deliberating a few nights ago, so letters should be getting to us soon. Good luck!

I got email today saying that I am on their waiting list. For all of you who get an acceptance letter, make sure to respond quickly so they can start pulling from those on the waiting list...like me. :)

I sent them a message earlier saying I will not be attending....good luck to you guys AlmostThere and every1 else on the wait list

I got an email yesterday saying that I was accepted to PITT!! Wahooooo.