University of Prince Edward Island Atlantic Veterinary College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this is hard on everyone. i saw last year's posts before the interview about the later acceptances. i see how it happens... i mean, life happens right? :oops: (even though i agree that the last minute stuff, though sometimes unavoidable, is really irritating). i just don't appreciate the way that this is being handled. it also reflects really poorly on the school. i know that this is mostly on the administrative end... but is this how the school teaches students to treat clients? i wouldn't go to a clinic that disregards people this way. the avc students are great, but it really makes me wonder about the school itself.

the other weird thing to me is... wouldn't they want to attract the best candidates quickly? i would think that they would want to jump on the wait-list before people float off to other schools.

was it somewhere on this forum, or did someone tell me that they had a friend of a friend who applied last year i think and just never heard from them period? at first i thought that was weird, and then i thought that whoever that was should have contacted the school... but based on our experience, and the experiences of others... yeah, i'm hurt. :(

... see, for me it's not about him getting in or not getting in anymore- it's the principle of the thing. i don't like how they are treating the currently accepted candidates either. all these tidbits add up to something that doesn't sit right with me. it's a bit fishy. and i just cleaned the tank, so i i don't think it's my orandas. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I need some clarification...

One SDN member got an unofficial acceptance weeks ago.
A few recently found out they've been waitlisted.
But the rest of you and those from the maritimes haven't heard anything?
And payment is due the 30th?

Do the other Canadian schools get back to applicants this late as well?

*big group hug*

Well... a friend of mind has her pharmacy interview on the 2nd, so she finds out pretty late. Med school acceptances here have already gone out...

It's frusterating because where else can a Canadian student go? Every place that I know of has already issued acceptances and some people have put down deposits to go. I know if I wanted to do a masters, than that's something that you have to commit to early too... you don't really have a choice but to go with the flow. I was wondering if anyone has spoken to the school and asked them why they do things this way?

Last edited:
the other weird thing to me is... wouldn't they want to attract the best candidates quickly? i would think that they would want to jump on the wait-list before people float off to other schools.

To be honest, I think they know a ton of their wait-listers aren't going to choose UPEI over the American schools, for the pure sake of tuition. I'd say your husband is the exception, not the rule. Most of their wait-listers either have no other school to go to, or if they'd do, they'd go to the American school no matter how soon UPEI informed them.

Members don't see this ad :)
But the rest of you and those from the maritimes haven't heard anything?
And payment is due the 30th?

Those from the Maritimes haven't even interviewed yet. I think the earliest interview date I saw on here for the Atlantic Canadians was May 15th.

As for the other schools... I think the only other school that takes internationals in OVC, and I have no idea about them.

yeah. vet school tuition is kind of... wait, is there a smiley face that's... nevermind! found it! :barf:
;)

Those from the Maritimes haven't even interviewed yet. I think the earliest interview date I saw on here for the Atlantic Canadians was May 15th.

I'm almost positive that one girl last year got her acceptance around that time so she must have been interviewed earlier than that. I just remember sitting in my brand new apartment that I had just moved into the first of May... I couldn't have been there more than two weeks and it was on her MSN name that she was accepted. That's why I was kind of thinking that this year was just a weird year for AVC.

...there are also a couple more pei posts from previous years that talk about acceptances. search for avc or pei and they pop up.

Hi! I think it's a different person this year in charge of the admissions. Last year it wasn't Sharon King, so maybe things are just a little different as this is a transition year.
I was waitlisted last year at Western and was unable to get information on my status. They just sent periodic generic emails, but never said how far along they were or what not, and the worst part was knowing that they weren't necessary selecting for the better grades/interview but for a diverse class.
I know it's hard, but just be patient. It's stressful waiting, but getting upset over it is not going to help, and the more you bash the school it is not going to make them answer any faster. Also, I'm pretty sure it was Western that lost the person's application, not AVC. I know it's stressful but just hang in there! Hope you all hear some good news soon!

sharon king said it is her first year with avc- but she came from another admissions department... graduate i think?

i don't think i am thinking about a lost application... i think this person just never heard from them. the western thing could be it, but i don't think so. i'm pretty sure it was avc.

i am not throwing a tantrum. i'm not upset because he didn't get in right away, or because we are having to wait... it's the way it's being handled. it makes us question whether or not this is a good idea- would be putting our family on the line, we are potentially putting our financial future at risk. this is serious business. these are people's lives. i don't care about appeasing the school at this point. i am certainly not going to pretend that everything is okay anymore. this is wrong. only so many excuses can be made for their behavior. i am going to write a letter about this at some point anyways. i don't want anyone else to be treated like this in the future, accepted or not!

FYI Maritime interviews begin end of April/Early May, I know mine in the 12th and I know of others who have theirs before and after mine.

Maritime students do not begin to get acceptances until the beginning of June, and I understand it is hard for international students to pack up and move, but you guys are finding out alot sooner than Canadian students and it is just as hard for us to pack up and move.

i understand that... but i don't know how many more times i can say it- it's not the wait, it's the way it's being handled.

If you dislike it, write a letter. As great as SDN is, complaining to us will do no good. If you feel there's a problem with AVC's process, please write to them. They'll be glad to hear it so they can do something about it. :)

I think in terms of admissions, this is a weird year. Remember back in November how they extended the application date? It's always November 1, but for whatever reason, it was extended this year to November 13.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am complaining on a public forum and risking a lot for a few reasons- 1- to gather info and compare experiences to see if we are the only ones 2- so that our experiences are out on the web for future applicants to consider before they spend a great deal of time, energy, emotion... not to mention $2,000 just to have the same thing happen to them 3- i thought we were here to support one another 4- so someone in a position of authority might just see this, because they should.

i don't think airing my concerns on a public forum is showing a lack of decorum- particularly if it spares anyone else any future grief.

at the pre-interview thing sharon also said that the application deadline has traditionally been extended.

Alright, let's put thing in perspective. To be waitlisted means just that, that you are forced to wait. Additionally, it also means that there IS NOT A SPOT FOR US. The deadline for internationals to accept is the 30th of April. There is still 2 days. To me it makes a lot of sense for them to wait until then, see how many people reject, and then send another wave. That is what almost all schools do. Part of being an international applicant means adjusting to the deadlines of other places, like Canada. Trust me, I have had my fair share of difficulties with this admissions process, I have had things lost, but cut the lady a break! These are not her rules or her processes. She is only able to do so much within the limits of her position. Moving at the last minute is a pain, but so is the whole application process to veterinary school. We spend $1000's for the slight chance of gaining entry. This is what you accept the moment you choose this path. I know many people on this forum don't have financial assistance to move at a pin drop,but bet your ass they will get it done if they want to. If UPEI called me the week before I would somehow just manage and GET THERE. I love to plan, but you can't plan for everything in this world. You should know, as you seem to be a mother. SIt back, relax, and everyone needs to quit blocking up this forum with complaints because it is GIVING ME A HEART ATTACK because I think someone has heard. This forum is for venting, and support, but enough already. LETS MOVE ON. THIS SUCKS. WHOO HOO. Now, unless someone has some helpful news, give it up. If you need to vent and bitch seek professional assistance. Vet school is exciting, let's keep it that way.

while helping my husband prepare for interviews, i had a little inside joke with myself surrounding the ethics question that goes something to the effect of, "if you observed something unethical or wrong, would you take a stand against it even if taking that stance is unpopular?"

that question makes me chuckle because every school/employer/etc. wants you to say that you would show courage and "do the right thing". except when push comes to shove, none of them actually want you to take a stand if something is observed in their own backyard... and when someone does, they ultimately suffer the consequences. i know what my posts say about my character. my interview answers correspond with my actions. i'm not a "troublemaker", but i do stand up for what it right.

i've thought about this a lot guys. i am saying these things for a reason. if you bring up something i haven't thought about, i will admit it. if some of my behind the scenes theories eventually prove to be false, i still think we all deserve an apology.

i kept ignoring stuff... telling myself that i was overreacting... reminding myself that no matter how small a school is, it's still going to be a bureaucracy. this was a dream for us- what is my motivation to destroy our own dream? i have reached a point where i cannot make excuses anymore. this doesn't make sense. after all we have given and all we are willing to put on the line... i don't think that they realize that enough info is on the web for people to connect the dots.

this is why i hate forums. this is exactly why i don't do forums. i just did this one because everyone was so friendly at first, and i thought it was a great way to share info/experiences/support.

we were really looking forward to meeting new people and developing new friendships... we were hoping to meet other older students, and maybe even other students with families. it seems like there are a lot of nice ones out there on this thread. but a lot of you seem really naive, self-centered and completely sheltered. an acquaintance who just graduated from the u of mn's program a couple years ago warned us about that, but again, i didn't want to think about it.

... and a "future vet hopeful" making a crack about mental illness is totally inappropriate.

i'm sick of this. i share and vent and get attacked, i share plausible theories as to what is going on here and people jump down my throat, i share information and people get upset, i say anything about the school's actions and people get extremely defensive... that's not going to improve your chances btw.

good luck. i'm done.

First of all lovebird....what crack? I am serious! If someone is really having a hard time coping...SEEK PROFESSIONAL ASSISTANCE! What the hell is wrong with that? Trust me, this has been a hard year for myself and I have considered seeking assistance myself. you have NO CLUE who people are on here, do not pass judgement on ANYONE. You do not know the stories of each individual, do not be SO NAIVE as to LUMP everyone INTO a group. I get your point, but enough already. WE ALL GET IT. ENOUGH. Like I said, it seems you are VERY STRESSED. WE GET IT. I hope you can find a solution that is right for you and your family, but step off. COMING FROM A PRE-VET STUDENT WHO'S LIFE HAS BEEN ANYTHING but SHELTERED. GROW UP. Or better yet...Why don't you start another thread for your topic and give this one a bit of a rest eh? HA, I crack myself up....(Candadians...eh?)

yeah, let's start over and be positive! it's ok if people have different opinions-that's what's wonderful about getting different people together! So, yes, the past few days on this thread have been a little testy. But, it's out of our system now (I hope) and let's all be happy again! If there are personal conflicts, let's solve them via PM so we don't create an angry environment here for everyone else. Or, let's start a venting thread for everyone to vent about admissions office horror stories. But, from here on let's group hug and talk about other things, eh?

____________________ line to start fresh_________________________________

"If UPEI called me the week before I would somehow just manage and GET THERE." - okay... so we'll just hop on our magic carpet then!

that in itself is naive/sheltered/self-centered. i based that comment on what people have been saying... like, "yeah! let's all go to asia for 2 months!"

seriously.

naive, sheltered statements.

it's the context of the comment. you know just as well as i do that that was a snide remark, not a "go get help" suggestion.

unbelievable.

have nice lives.

PMing YOU...

nevermind...you have blocked it...glad you are over it. let's all move on.

Last edited:
i'm trying to figure out how to delete my account altogether. i am over it.

send a PM to "memberservice" and ask to delete your account.

...or one of the moderators.

:laugh:...between this thread and the "what true requirements does it take..." thread, I have had an fairly entertaining 20 minutes. I'm honestly confused on what she is pissed (or is it bitter? :rolleyes:) about...being on a waitlist is exactly that--the word "wait" is in the title. People can get called all the way into the FIRST week of classes--that's just how it goes; and if you don't like it, take yourself off of the waitlist.

EDIT: radio, I wish you the best of luck. hopefully you or DVMdream get my slot that I declined as Western :). that school just wasn't for me.

Our thread is darn crazy now...it has even got some spectators and new contributors. ;) LoL - Thanks rileyroo!! :D I hope no one thought we were dull or anything like that ...esp for those like me who happens to be "older". :rolleyes:

Please don't be shy out there....some of those trolls from that one thread from the "non-US schools"...should join in. That could add some additional and exciting drama. We need to stir it up!!

Gosh I am going to be drinking some wine tonight! Hee!

See. jpeterman13 I was typing and sent before I saw your reply!! And I was not saying trolls - meaning you rileyroo. No that is not what I meant. I meant that one thread has some, er, younger prevet, veterinarians from uh... another school.

:laugh:...between this thread and the "what true requirements does it take..." thread, I have had an fairly entertaining 20 minutes. I'm honestly confused on what she is pissed (or is it bitter? :rolleyes:) about...being on a waitlist is exactly that--the word "wait" is in the title. People can get called all the way into the FIRST week of classes--that's just how it goes; and if you don't like it, take yourself off of the waitlist.

EDIT: radio, I wish you the best of luck. hopefully you or DVMdream get my slot that I declined as Western :). that school just wasn't for me.

Man, I haven't even been reading the true requirements thread, I'm gonna go look at that now.

She's upset because she doesn't feel that the school is handling the application cycle in an appropriate manner. I will admit that there has been confusion, which you all know with the 15th or 30th deadline to respond and the amount of time it took to receive official notifications. She also mentioned that they were told that people who didn't have the application completed correctly were eventually called for interviews. While I understand the frustration, I don't think that arguing with the people who could potentially be your husbands classmates is the way to handle it, but everyone handles stress differently.

I'm glad that we're moving on. Hope everyone has a good rest of the week and weekend.

Thanks JP, glad ISU picked you up. SHOUT OUT TO DVM AND FINLEY...THE WAITLIST WILL MOVE! Anyways, I was just getting annoyed. I am sure we will all hear soon May can't come soon enough!

AND FOR THE RECORD:
1. Yeah, let's all go to Asia for two months! I am going with the NAVY to live on the USNS Mercy for two months and work as a vet tech in some of the poorest areas of the world. I am so excited and can't wait. How silly and immature of me.

2. My magic carpet doesn't do international flights. So I will be driving to PEI.

I have to say this has been quite the entertaining past few days. I am really enjoying it. Thanks for the good luck/hope vibes, too. Congrats on ISU, I wish you the best of luck there!! :luck:

Thanks JP, glad ISU picked you up. SHOUT OUT TO DVM AND FINLEY...THE WAITLIST WILL MOVE! Anyways, I was just getting annoyed. I am sure we will all hear soon May can't come soon enough!

AND FOR THE RECORD:
1. Yeah, let's all go to Asia for two months! I am going with the NAVY to live on the USNS Mercy for two months and work as a vet tech in some of the poorest areas of the world. I am so excited and can't wait. How silly and immature of me.

2. My magic carpet doesn't do international flights. So I will be driving to PEI.

:laugh: This had me laughing so hard. Good luck to you radio with the waitlists, hopefully we will end up being classmates at Western next year! :xf:

The deadline for internationals to accept is the 30th of April.

That's today!! So...maybe next week for some of us on the waitlist! and if Canadians start interviewing May 15, they may be pushing some international stuff through in the office! Happy Friday everyone!!!!!

p.s. I'm super excited right now because I just had my last undergrad class and I spontaneously had to entertain a whole bunch of 6th graders here on campus on a tour. Had to share the reason for all of the exclamation points.

As for the other schools... I think the only other school that takes internationals in OVC, and I have no idea about them.

I had my interview Wednesday (I'm a NL resident) and I was with 2 girls from PEI being interviewed the same day....But we were the first round of Atlantic Canadians :) My friend from NS has hers the 30th of May, so now it's just a waiting game :S hahaha

Last edited:
I had my interview Wednesday (I'm a NL resident) and I was with 2 girls from PEI being interviewed the same day....But we were the first round of Atlantic Canadians :) My friend from NS has hers the 30th of May, so now it's just a waiting game :S hahaha
Wow, that's AWESOME!!! How did it go??

Wow, that's AWESOME!!! How did it go??

Very well actually, I'm really pleased. I feel like I was as prepared as I could have been. They told us we'd hear by June 15th at the latest. So now we just wait. I know everyone is getting all worked up about not knowing if they're in or not, but unfortunately we all have it kinda rough. If I find out I'm in June 15th, I need to get my finances straightened away (which is going to involve MANY trips to the bank haha), find a place to live, pack up my life, and drive to PEI and be there by Aug. 27th (orientation). It will take me probably 4-5 days to drive to PEI from Newfoundland. All the while I'll most likely be working full time :S. I know it's a crappy deal, but it's what we need to do unfortunately haha My poor boyfriend is making contingency plans just in case I get in but I've told him not to tell me about anything he's looking at (apartments/cars etc) because I can't bear the thought of getting my hopes up and then being turned down haha. All in all we can just sit here waiting and wishing ;)

The campus was great! The people were unbelievably sweet. It felt very much like my home in Newfoundland, must be the Island atmosphere. We went to a couple of Restaurants while we were there. The Pilot House is YUMMY! and a very nice atmosphere. And we went to Hunters Ale House for some pub food and beer to watch the final game between the Habs and Washington. We had a blast that night :) Definitely 2 places I recommend! Also we stayed at Delta Prince Edward. Lovely hotel, great staff :) Kinda pricey rooms, but I suppose a lot of the times you pay for what you get :) We turned the 4 day trip into a mini vacation so it was worth it to us :).

Good luck to all who haven't had their interview yet. Just relax and be yourselves ;) For those like me who have and are just waiting for news, good luck to you also ;)

I'm glad it went well!! Yeah I feel we all have it rough when in comes to the planning for the move part. I feel that the American students are wondering what they will do if they don't get in, but Canadians have even less time (potentially) to figure out the same thing, because we all start the same day! 2.5 months isn't long to figure it all out even if you're in the same country!

I'm told they interview about twice as many as they take, so about 32? I'm just hoping my interview date isn't indicative of where I am in the standings. :oops:

No worries, I thought about that too seeing as I was the last Newf interviewed, but the way I look at it is there's absolutely nothing you can do to change those grades right now. What you need to focus on is being yourself and being passionate in that interview and charming the pants off them! :) I was told by the girl who gave us the tour that your interview score is about 30% of how they choose who's in. That's HUGE! So even if you're a little behind in the grades you can make it up tenfold with personality :) And apparently if they're stuck between 2 applicants sometimes they take both (Apparently there was 63 in this years 1st year class- so they took 3 extras :) ) I still don't know how they decide when you're interviewed (could be alphabetical for all I know haha) But do yourself a favor and don't think about that. Just think about all the wonderful things in yourself that should make them want YOU! :)

I did wonder if it was alphabetical, since my last name would be fairly far down the list, but I couldn't compare with anyone else. But like you said, it doesn't matter now anyway!

I did wonder if it was alphabetical, since my last name would be fairly far down the list, but I couldn't compare with anyone else. But like you said, it doesn't matter now anyway!

I'm hoping they saved the best for last since I'm on the 28th. We would both be near the end. Latest interview date I've heard so far is May 31. Very nervous because I don't what I'll do for a year if I have to reapply. Still so worried about my limited recent vet experience, but it seems to be more important for the US schools. Anyways, here's to hoping we both kick butt at the interview and are classmates soon!

Oh, my last name starts with L, so guessing it's not alphabetical! Hopefully I'm right or it's just random!
Also, I was told way back last fall over the phone that they are taking 18 from NS. I hope that's true too!

I think they have interviews til June 4th, and we should hear back around June 15th!!

Greetings to all,

Just joined this network :). Thanks to all for sharing information pertaining to the AVC. My interview is taking place tomorrow afternoon. Wishing you all the best of luck :xf:!!

Cheers!!

Jeeze take some time off to write a few exams and you miss a lot on here! Just some info on interviews. They started last week and will be going until June 4. They do NFLD first, then PEI, then NB and finally NS. I believe it is done alphabetically, and has nothing to do with your standing. Notifications are set to go out on June 15th, but don't get yur panties in a bunch if you don't hear anything on that day, it's sent out via snail mail, and always seem to be running late. I do the odd tour on interview day, so maybe I will get to meet some of you!

To any international students out there who are frustrated about the process, please don't knock the school. I know the way things are being done this year is a little off, but we also have some quirks that make our school unique. How many other schools that you have interviewed at invite you to have a casual lunch with the head interviewer before hand who gives you his home phone number?