University of Prince Edward Island Atlantic Veterinary College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To any international students out there who are frustrated about the process, please don't knock the school. I know the way things are being done this year is a little off, but we also have some quirks that make our school unique. How many other schools that you have interviewed at invite you to have a casual lunch with the head interviewer before hand who gives you his home phone number?

I think the only person who knocked the school isn't writing on this forum anymore and isn't an applicant. I know I definitely appreciated the very personal feeling of the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

I think the only person who knocked the school isn't writing on this forum anymore and isn't an applicant. I know I definitely appreciated the very personal feeling of the interview.

I fell totally in love with AVC and PEI :) .... And the 2 people who interviewed me were very sweet, and really responsive. The greatest interview session I've ever been a part of for sure :)

Greetings to all,

Just joined this network :). Thanks to all for sharing information pertaining to the AVC. My interview is taking place tomorrow afternoon. Wishing you all the best of luck :xf:!!

Cheers!!

Welcome on this forum , Hope you will enjoy it. Where are you from ?
good luck for your interview

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't seem to be a lot of Canadians on this forum, but thought I'd post this info anyway since it seems that experience hours are hard to obtain. Paid part-time (14h/wk $10/h) animal experience opportunity in Amherst, NS at a shelter. Find it on jobbank.gc.ca Job number 4999022. Too far from where I live.

ps-hope to hear about more acceptances soon from the US folks. Good luck!

Doesn't seem to be a lot of Canadians on this forum, but thought I'd post this info anyway since it seems that experience hours are hard to obtain. Paid part-time (14h/wk $10/h) animal experience opportunity in Amherst, NS at a shelter. Find it on jobbank.gc.ca Job number 4999022. Too far from where I live.

ps-hope to hear about more acceptances soon from the US folks. Good luck!

Too far from me either. And ditto about the Americans. I want the waitlist to move and call some SDNers!

To All you Canadians!! Good luck with your interviews!! I definitely appreciated the uniqueness and the overall good vibes I felt with UPEI. I hope us US folks hear something good soon!!! Good luck, still, to all!!!

I emailed Sharon King, because I really need to know what is going to happen in the next months so I can make important decisions like, taking a full time job, study for MCATs or GREs, take extra classes, volunteer...or start looking at how to make the move to PEI. Her reply was not that helpful but just in case you were all wondering, she said:

"I cannot really give you any new information. The deadline for tuition
payment for the accepted applicants, to date was April 30th. We have
had a few declines and deferrals, however we have not yet went back to
our wait list. All I can tell you is, be patient, and that last year
they were still going back to the Wait List in August. I know that is
not much consolation for you now, but that is all the information I have
at this time."

So.....umm, I don't know what to think or make of this, I guess assume its not going to happen and take the FT job?
:rolleyes:

Perhaps they are waiting to get our transcripts for the spring? I mean, the last day of finals for me at least is tomorrow and then they want our transcripts....I'm just trying to come up with a logical explanation.....thanks, NeonCat, for keeping us posted with news from Sharon King!

for the accepted international students: do you have any updates/information on how to get loans?? there was some new direct lending system and so far I have not been able to start anything for the loan. getting really worried and frustrated.:confused:

I'm on my way to the Island!!! Interview tomorrow :) Fingers crossed everyone! anyone else have an interview tomorrow?

I'm on my way to the Island!!! Interview tomorrow :) Fingers crossed everyone! anyone else have an interview tomorrow?

Good luck Sarebear!!! Just be yourself, relax and I'm sure you'll do great!! :) Best wishes for anyone else with their interview coming up! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

New member here from Nova Scotia. I've got my interview at AVC coming up on the 25th. Ack. Doing my best to relax, and think up good stories to tell. This forum is such a big help!

Good luck to everyone!

Regarding NeonCat's comment: "I cannot really give you any new information. The deadline for tuition
payment for the accepted applicants, to date was April 30th. We have
had a few declines and deferrals, however we have not yet went back to
our wait list. All I can tell you is, be patient, and that last year
they were still going back to the Wait List in August. I know that is
not much consolation for you now, but that is all the information I have
at this time."

Curious regarding this - so those that have deferred - are they just accepting but starting next year vs this year? So there is a seat saved for them basically to start next year? Do they have to do anything in the interim - get more experience? Take more classes, etc?? Just curious....

Curious regarding this - so those that have deferred - are they just accepting but starting next year vs this year? So there is a seat saved for them basically to start next year? Do they have to do anything in the interim - get more experience? Take more classes, etc?? Just curious....

That's my understanding of it. It's a normal acceptance, but instead of holding a seat in the class of 2014, they're getting a seat in the class of 2015. To my knowledge, they aren't required to do anything else, same as you aren't required to do anything else over the summer if you're starting in September.

for the accepted international students: do you have any updates/information on how to get loans?? there was some new direct lending system and so far I have not been able to start anything for the loan. getting really worried and frustrated.:confused:

I still havent even received the packet of info that the acceptance email alluded to...I live in California, but still would have expected it to arrive within the 35 days it's been since they were all mailed out.

SO frustrated with the lack of organization...would really like to see how feasible loans and visas are...and how to bring my dog with me!

If you haven't received anything in the mail yet, i would give them a call. Things do get lost in the mail. Also, visa's are not hard to get (I got mine the day I drove over the border to Canada...might be a bit different if you're flying) and all I ever have with me is rabies certificates for my pets. I have yet to be ever asked for any paperwork for my pets...and I have 2 dogs and a cat with me.
As for the loans, don't stress about them. They will send out more info about the new loan process once they know how it'll work. I haven't filled out mine yet either for this coming year. Last year, I was accepted off the waitlist, and my loan application stuff was processed very quickly. The people in the financial aid office are very fast with loans.

MAbovines!!! When did you hear from them since you were on the waitlist last year?!!! Please give me some peace of mind because I am going a little crazy.
Your response may greatly contribute to my trying to keep my sanity, lol :D

My tourguide on the day of the interview got accepted off the waitlist late July. Don't know if this helps...I feel like they haven't started moving the waitlist for international students yet.

But I'm really anxious to hear something from them.

Thanks August! It does help with planning out my summer! :cool:

My interview is tomorrow , I heard so many good things about people there , Can't wait to see that

How did it go pierlucke? I'm really biting my nails now that mine is only 10 days away! I'm going to look at a couple houses while I'm there very close to the school.

Not to be a bummer, but has anyone heard of anyone getting a "Try again next year" type of contact from AVC?
Also, how are the Canadian interviews coming? Are we nearing the end or just in full swing?
Oh and I forgot-I thought I had posted this earlier-quotes from an email from Sharon King (May 7)

"The applicants that were given acceptance to the program, that to have their tuition deposits and confirmation in by April 30th, so there has not been much movement since. There have been a few decline, as expected however not enough for me to go back to the list and re-offer."

"All I can tell you is that we went through all our alternates last year, and the last one to be offered a seat in the program was in early August. "

Gosh, all I want is a timeline. I don't even need an answer right now.

I think we just have to accept the fact that we can hear any time from now to a week before classes regarding getting off the waitlist. And plan your life accordingly. I realize this is difficult...as I am non-traditional, have career currently, etc.

Also, how are the Canadian interviews coming? Are we nearing the end or just in full swing?

I had my interview on Thursday, May 20. Jack MacDougall was there and said interviews would run until Friday, June 4. The admissions people are then meeting starting on the Monday to discuss final decisions. He said we should be receiving our letters in the mail around June 15.

Hi everyone! I've been accepted to AVC for the class of 2014 and have been a long-time "lurker" of this forum. I've learned so much from everyone! I'm having some difficulty finding to find a place to live and/or a potential roommate. What are all you admitted students doing as far as housing?

Good Luck Coquette22!! I loved the Pilot House!! Yummy!

Hi everyone! I've been accepted to AVC for the class of 2014 and have been a long-time "lurker" of this forum. I've learned so much from everyone! I'm having some difficulty finding to find a place to live and/or a potential roommate. What are all you admitted students doing as far as housing?

I'm Canadian non-trad and haven't been accepted yet. Have my interview Fri. But if I get in, I'll likely put in an offer on a 4 bdrm house around June 15, so I'll be looking for 2-3 roommates. Pets welcome as long as they get along with other pets. I'll have 2 greyhounds and 2 cats. I'll keep you in mind if I get in.

I'm here in Charlottetown! Dinner at the Pilot House tonight (thanks to all the stellar reviews from SDNers! :D) and then interview tomorrow. :)

Good Luck! I'll be over there Thu-Fri. I'll have to check out the Pilot House too then!

Pilot House was fantastic. I'm stuffed!

Re: Housing. If I get in, I'll be looking for a couple roommates, maybe to go in the Island Dale3 bedroom townhouses across the street from UPEI. They're owned by Killam Properties, and I lived in one of their buildings in Halifax with no issues. So if I post in three weeks time with "I got in!", PM me. :)

Had my interview yesterday. It went really well! Everyone was super nice and friendly. The interview itself was very relaxed and easier than any job interview I've ever done. There weren't any questions I wasn't expecting. I'm very glad I discovered SDN and especially the interview feedback - they were a huge help.

Good luck mhlaur and everyone else still waiting to interview!

Thanks Coquette and mhlaur! Good luck to everyone who has yet to interview and those waiting to hear from the waitlist!!

Coquette - how much do these townhouses rent for? Just curious. Do they have one bedroom apts? Not sure yet if I want to live by myself or with roommates.

Of course I have no idea when (and if) I will get off the waitlist of course.

Good luck to you all! Does anyone know of any houses for sale near charlottetown? Outskirts preferably? My boyfriend and I will be buying if I get in, but we are debating a move over even if I don't.

Coquette - how much do these townhouses rent for? Just curious. Do they have one bedroom apts? Not sure yet if I want to live by myself or with roommates.

Of course I have no idea when (and if) I will get off the waitlist of course.

The townhouses are $975/month, includes heat and hot water.

Bad news though: Dr Singh said today that they aren't taking anymore internationals. He said they have their class for the fall confirmed. :(

Good luck to you all! Does anyone know of any houses for sale near charlottetown? Outskirts preferably? My boyfriend and I will be buying if I get in, but we are debating a move over even if I don't.

See MLS.ca for all listings. Also a few listed by owner on kijiji.ca

Bad news though: Dr Singh said today that they aren't taking anymore internationals. He said they have their class for the fall confirmed. :(

sucks, but i kind of figured

Hey everyone, hope the interviews are going well. For those who get in, we have set up a group on facebook "Atlantic Veterinary College 2014" where you will be able to find info on housing. A member of the c/o 2013 updates it frequently. I believe the Killam town houses are in Brown's Court, which is across from the school...I woud suggest avoiding it if at all possible. It's not the best spot for vet students, and many of my classmates were robbed/vandalized while living there last year (almost all got out ASAP). Good luckx

What???!!!! This is not good news. How is it they can in the past go through the entire waitlist. I am confused and depressed now.

What???!!!! This is not good news. How is it they can in the past go through the entire waitlist. I am confused and depressed now.

I feel sorry for all of you that have been waiting and hoping to get in at AVC. I know the waiting is hard but don't give up. The comming years might bring some positive things for you all. Keep being positive...every hard moment has its reward somewhere ...:thumbup:

I feel sorry for all of you that have been waiting and hoping to get in at AVC. I know the waiting is hard but don't give up. The comming years might bring some positive things for you all. Keep being positive...every hard moment has its reward somewhere ...:thumbup:

I just felt like there was reason to be hopeful but there isn't now.

See MLS.ca for all listings. Also a few listed by owner on kijiji.ca

I have browsed them but you never know, someone may have a house they are about to put up and I could get first dibs! lol

I emailed yesterday informing them that my spring semester transcript is on its way, but in reality the only reason I emailed them was because I wanted to know the scoop. (For those that don't know, I'm an international student currently on the waitlist). I emailed Jack MacDougall, and he had forwarded the email to our good friend Sharon King. She said that she had answered some of my questions in a previous email (the one from the 7th I mentioned earlier) and was making sure I had gotten it. So, as far as I know, the answers have not changed (aka they still haven't started contacting).

I obviously wasn't there, but my optimistic self thinks Dr. Singh meant that they are not looking for more international applicants, not that the international AVC class of 2014 is set in stone.

I really appreciate the class of 2013 welcoming 2014 with a Facebook group and keeping 2014 in the loop with housing! I hope I still have a chance at being one of the 2014ers...

Keep on truckin' for those who are still interviewing!

Canadians have started to receive acceptance letters, good luck to all!