University of Prince Edward Island Atlantic Veterinary College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
:( Sorry to hear.

I have yet to even recieve the letter...

I'm rejected.

Sorry to hear that, Coquette, I was keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I'm thinking that I'm probably not getting in since I'm still an international in limbo

I'm rejected.

I'm so sorry hun :( But keep trying...this is my THIRD time applying! The most amazing vet I know who works at AVC applied 5 times before she got in!! It's all about persistance xoxox

I'm so sorry hun :( But keep trying...this is my THIRD time applying! The most amazing vet I know who works at AVC applied 5 times before she got in!! It's all about persistance xoxox

She applied FIVE times to AVC?!?! *gulp* I thought that the second time is the charm :(

I'm so sorry hun :( But keep trying...this is my THIRD time applying! The most amazing vet I know who works at AVC applied 5 times before she got in!! It's all about persistance xoxox[/QUOT

I'm so sorry for you . We all know what it is to go through this pocess( application, experience , grads, interview, ...) You have done it once and its not easy... you will do better next year,try to find what are the thing you can improve and you should be fine. You have been able to have an interview so you have what it takes , Don't give up , you will have it soon...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so sorry for you . We all know what it is to go through this pocess( application, experience , grads, interview, ...) You have done it once and its not easy... you will do better next year,try to find what are the thing you can improve and you should be fine. You have been able to have an interview so you have what it takes , Don't give up , you will have it soon...

How about you pierlucke? Hear anything?

Coquette... we'll work our butts off this year and you and I can begin in 2011 together. How does that sound? :)

I'm waitlisted... anyone planning on deferring a year?? :)

So, if anyone here is still looking for a pet friendly place to live, I'm buying a 3 or 4 bedroom house as close to school as I can find. Hopefully one with 2 baths and a fenced yard. PM me for more info if interested. Time to join the facebook page.

How about you pierlucke? Hear anything?

I'm in :thumbup:

if I can help anybody in any ways for their next application, I will be happy to do so, Just PM me and I will do my best to help. Just don't give up please...

if I can help anybody in any ways for their next application, I will be happy to do so, Just PM me and I will do my best to help. Just don't give up please...

I just wish you guys were allowed to comment on the interviews. If the NSAC students get interview prep, why can't the rest of us :p

I just wish you guys were allowed to comment on the interviews. If the NSAC students get interview prep, why can't the rest of us :p
I think we are allowed to comment (I never heard anything about confidentiality - I hear the med school students sign confidentiality forms).

Where do you go to school? I went to Dal and set up a couple of mock interviews through the career center. You could check to see if there's a similar service at your university.

Where do you go to school? I went to Dal and set up a couple of mock interviews through the career center. You could check to see if there's a similar service at your university.

Really? Dal will do it for pre-vets? I assumed that they'd only do mocks for pre-med/pre-dental. I may have to check that out...
(No idea you were at Dal! We're such a small presence on SDN! :D)

Really? Dal will do it for pre-vets? I assumed that they'd only do mocks for pre-med/pre-dental. I may have to check that out...
(No idea you were at Dal! We're such a small presence on SDN! :D)
It was through the student employment center (in case you want to look it up). They didn't really know anything about the vet interview beforehand, but I sent them the short blurb about the interview from the AVC website and gave them the link from the SDN interview feedback site. They tailored the mock interviews based on that, but I'm sure the NSAC one is more useful. Anyway, just rehearsing the questions and getting feedback did help. One or two of the questions from SDN that I practiced in the mock interview ended up on the actual interview. And my answers were much smoother and more complete the second time. So I'd definitely recommend it!

(I didn't know you were at Dal either - I only went to Dal for one year (last year), and didn't know anyone else who was applying to vet school).

Congrats!!! and to everyone that got in! I'm in too :) Can't wait to see you all in september!

I'm so sorry for those of you who didn't got in this year. I'll be happy to help you too in any ways.. And we'll definitely see you next year!! :)

The questions already posted in the Interview Feedback on this site (see up top) was all I needed. My questions were all in there. Check also the Minnesota questions because they use the same type of behavioural interview. I came up with stories to tell for each question from past jobs, sports or traveling etc. Good to have a couple answers in mind for each because I had the same example for many questions. Forgot all about questions about your veterinary experience, knowledge or interest. They won't ask any.

Congrats! That's awesome. I'm still house hunting, but let me know if you need a room to rent. You wouldn't have to stay there in summer. I'm at the moment thinking about a large 4 bedroom, 2 bath house. My preference is for other vet student roommates since we will understand each other's study needs. Pets allowed too!

The questions I was asked weren't in the feedback. I posted them after my interview in case someone else (or me) gets them next year.

Most of those are in the Minnesota questions. The exact forms of questions vary a bit. For example, a goal you tried to achieve or didn't achieve or plans to achieve. Encounter with a difficult person or frustrating person. How you dealt with a big change, difficult change. Etc etc. Also google behaviour based interviews. You'll find that the questions start to be repetitive. I copied them all into a document and studied them and my answers over and over!

The questions I was asked weren't in the feedback. I posted them after my interview in case someone else (or me) gets them next year.
Most of mine were in the SDN feedback page. I also looked at the Minnesota questions and googled behavioral interview questions. Two of my questions weren't anywhere on my list. I just posted the questions from my interview to the interview feedback page, including the ones that surprised me.

Hey, Congrats to the recently accepted Canadians! How are other things going for everyone: housing, visa applications, etc? Also, I may have overlooked it, but what sort of clothing should I have prepared for the start of classes? During my interview, I noticed that the dress of the many students was pretty relaxed, jeans, uggs, etc. Does AVC have a set dress code for classes?

Hey, Congrats to the recently accepted Canadians! How are other things going for everyone: housing, visa applications, etc? Also, I may have overlooked it, but what sort of clothing should I have prepared for the start of classes? During my interview, I noticed that the dress of the many students was pretty relaxed, jeans, uggs, etc. Does AVC have a set dress code for classes?

I don't think they have a dress code. I read the whole Incoming Student Handbook. We have to buy the blue lab coats from their bookstore, other than that, I think just typical university student clothing is fine.

I don't think they have a dress code. I read the whole Incoming Student Handbook. We have to buy the blue lab coats from their bookstore, other than that, I think just typical university student clothing is fine.

Hi ya, I am in the class of 2013 at AVC and there is definitely no dress code and most people dress pretty casually. You will all recieve a blue coat during your blue coat ceremony in August. You can purchase additional blue coats from the bookstore.

You should be getting an orientation package with all kinds of AVC/PEI info soon enough. I know waiting for snail mail can seem like forever, so feel free to ask me about anything in the mean time!

Congrats class of 2014!!! :)

It's friggin' cold up there. And expensive. Both tuition-wise, and cost-of-living.

And my car would never survive on the unpaved roads with that red clay stuff. The rental car with "Terrain control" barely made it down some of the little roads, that clay was so wet and deep.

Although, the island does have some awesome seafood restaurants...and good local beers...and the island and beaches were gorgeous. But it's still cold :laugh:

I don't know what roads you were driving on but I gotta say they aren't that bad lol. Wait until you do some real off-roading with jacked up trucks up there lol

Hi ya, I am in the class of 2013 at AVC and there is definitely no dress code and most people dress pretty casually. You will all recieve a blue coat during your blue coat ceremony in August. You can purchase additional blue coats from the bookstore.

You should be getting an orientation package with all kinds of AVC/PEI info soon enough. I know waiting for snail mail can seem like forever, so feel free to ask me about anything in the mean time!

Congrats class of 2014!!! :)

Thanks...I'm super excited to start...now it's just 2 months of trying to organize life!! haha Anyone have any experience with the "mini-homes" that seem to be so prevalent in PEI? My boyfriend and I were looking into buying one, would end up being MUCH cheeper than renting :)

Congratulations to all of the recently accepted Vet Students - I wish you all the best of luck :-D

Wondering if any of you have applied for loans or financial aid for AVC? If so, where did you go? Thanks!

And, congrats to the rest of the c/o 2014! getting scared but excited to move to Charlottetown in 2 short months!

Thanks...I'm super excited to start...now it's just 2 months of trying to organize life!! haha Anyone have any experience with the "mini-homes" that seem to be so prevalent in PEI? My boyfriend and I were looking into buying one, would end up being MUCH cheeper than renting :)

I'm not talking by experience, but I think it would probably be the smartest thing to do! But I could be wrong too.. I'm not sure but do you have to rent the land as well when you live in a mini home park? The home itself might be cheap, but when you have to pay for all the extra things (heat bill must be a little bit higher too), it can add up pretty fast. But at the end when you sell back the house, you probably end up paying less than renting for 4 years. You probably knew all of this, I'm sorry I can't really help you here!!

By the way, are you happy about your career change?! :)

I'm not talking by experience, but I think it would probably be the smartest thing to do! But I could be wrong too.. I'm not sure but do you have to rent the land as well when you live in a mini home park? The home itself might be cheap, but when you have to pay for all the extra things (heat bill must be a little bit higher too), it can add up pretty fast. But at the end when you sell back the house, you probably end up paying less than renting for 4 years. You probably knew all of this, I'm sorry I can't really help you here!!

By the way, are you happy about your career change?! :)

I've sat down crunching numbers for the last couple of days and with the morgage/land tax/cable/light and heat/basically all the fiixings, I'll still be paying $50-100 less a month than if I was renting....and I'll have something to sell at the end of 4 years.

As for the career change, at first it was terrifying haha Going back to school and all, but now that it's all starting to sink in I couldnt be more excited! I can't wait to get over to PEI! :)

CONGRATS CLASS OF 2014!!! :D

Congrats! That's awesome. I'm still house hunting, but let me know if you need a room to rent. You wouldn't have to stay there in summer. I'm at the moment thinking about a large 4 bedroom, 2 bath house. My preference is for other vet student roommates since we will understand each other's study needs. Pets allowed too!

Sorry to get back to you so lately , I don't need a room, Thanks for the offer

A+

Has anyone found out how we get a student visa, if coming from US? Sharon King hasn't been too helpful...

and apparently, there's a new way of getting federal loans? Or something? Anyone have a good experience with a lender or particular type of loan?

Has anyone found out how we get a student visa, if coming from US? Sharon King hasn't been too helpful...

and apparently, there's a new way of getting federal loans? Or something? Anyone have a good experience with a lender or particular type of loan?

This website is for the student visa: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study.asp

Talk to Eileen MacVittie (Financial Aid Advisor) about the loans. She said, "As of July 1, 2010 the University of Prince Edward Island will be changing over to the William D. Ford Direct Loan Program for all Federal Stafford Loans and Federal Grad Plus loans." Eileen also said, " Once UPEI is set up to use the Direct Loan Program I will be notifying all US students that they can now apply for their Federal Stafford and Grad Plus loans."

Her info is:
Phone (902) 628-4382
Fax (902) 628-4319
Email [email protected]

I hope this helps. :)

Anyone out there still looking for a place to live?? Room available in large house with two roommates. Just 15min north of AVC up Hwy 2. Car would be good, but maybe you can get rides with me to school. Beautiful location surrounded by green space and farmlands. Rent is $300 plus 1/3 utilities which I estimate to be $120 each. I'm a non-trad female in my 30s with 2 dogs and 2 cats. I'm renting it starting Aug 1. PM me for pictures. Thanks!

I'm on the AVC website and I can't find any information about LORs. Are they required? If so, how many? I was planning on asking two vets I volunteered for and the prof I did research for. Can I also use my DQ boss since I've been working there for ~5 years?

I'm on the AVC website and I can't find any information about LORs. Are they required? If so, how many? I was planning on asking two vets I volunteered for and the prof I did research for. Can I also use my DQ boss since I've been working there for ~5 years?

Letters of recommendation are not required. If you go to the website and download the application you'll find everything you need to apply.

Hello all,
I am an international student currently on the waitlist annd, what do you know?! No news yet!!!
I contacted Sharon and she said so far only one person declined, so no word on when or if the waitlist will move. I don't know if this will be useful information for anyone out there but, yeah, it doesn't look good.

I am on waitlist torture. And Sharon gave me the same info last week. :( I feel your pain.