University of Puerto Rico School of Dental Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrToothfairy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever applied to this dental school before?

Its accredited by ADA

Members don't see this ad.

University of Puerto Rico Dental School is accredited by the ADA just like every dental school in the US b/c Puerto Rico is a US Territory. PR has two official languages: Spanish and English. Therefore to attend dental school you have to be bilingual or get bilingual. UPR requires that you take 12 units of English and 12 units of Spanish in undergrad. It doesn't matter if you are from PR or another state, everyone has to take them.
The professors are all bilingual(some more than others) but most lecture in Spanish because that is their first language and the majority of the student's first language. The books, PowerPoint’s and exams are in English because it is accredited and also because the boards are in English. The patients you work on in clinic will most likely speak Spanish.
So you have to be able to understand both English and Spanish.

In order to graduate you have to pass the NBDE 1 and 2(National Boards), just like all the other D schools. Once you graduate you're a DMD and you just take the state or regional board for the state where you plan to practice.

I hope that answers some questions! Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 4th year pre-dental student at a University of California with a low gpa (2.93)...I have looked into Puerto Rico dental school but haven't found any accepted american students. Does anyone know the stats of those that are accepted from the US?

Thank you!!