Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

University of Puerto Rico School of Medicine

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by LGMD, Apr 15, 2007.

1. LGMD

LGMD Banned
    Banned

Hi guys, just wondering what you know about the School of Medicine at the University of Puerto Rico. I have heard of it and have a friend who went there but would like current advice on the school regarding USMLE and residency placement. Thanks in advance!!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Moving to Pre-Allo Forum as this is not an Allopathic Student issue.

4. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin

Attending Physician
    Perhaps this should have been moved to the carribean portion of the international forums...

5. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm a student at UPR school of medicine. If you have any questions feel free to ask them here or PM me. Good Luck

6. mrs.smith

Medical Student
    A friend of mine from Puerto Rico went there. My own knowledge is limited.

You need to especially fluent in Spanish, as some instruction and most patient encounters are in Spanish.

You need to be a native Puerto Rican, as they almost never take any non-Puerto Ricans.

As I recall, overwhelmingly graduates stay in Puerto Rico for residency. Don't know about USMLE scores though.

7. mrs.smith

Medical Student
    Cool, I posted as you did. Is the info I wrote down correct?

8. Xibye

The tuition for puerto rican residents is very low - like $5000 a year. Very good school for the price tag!

9. Dr Who

Dr Who Future MD...

Resident [Any Field]
    Tuition for the school as of this year is $6,680 a YEAR, which is a bargain when compared to most other med schools.

It is a state supported school so they will accept mostly island residents, although in every class there is always a more than a few students from the US mainland.

Speaking spanish is very important, as many classes are taught in that language, and clinical rotations will require it. All handouts, powerpoint presentations, web pages, quizzes, tests, in short ALL WRITTEN AND OFFICIAL material is in english. We take Shelf exams for every course and MUST pass the USMLE step 1 before they allow us in third year.

The school has many residency spots available each year, but I would say that only about half of each class stays in PR while the other half obtain spots in the US mainland.

Hope that helped. If you have any other questions feel free to post them here.

Dr Who