Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

university of queensland in australia

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by The Pill Counter, Dec 8, 2001.

1. The Pill Counter

The Pill Counter Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd like to hear the opinions of americans/canadians/brits in med at uq. I'm joining next month and I haven't seen a good discussion on this school before.
    Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tidy_kiwi

tidy_kiwi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Good luck to you Raj - but I haven't really seen anything specifically about UQ here either and I have been posting here for a little while.

4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The reason Qld Uni hasn't been popular with Americans is that they've never offered US government loans before (I am assuming they do now given the heightened interest in them). Discussions about this program here are pretty thin given the dearth of North Americans there. However, some Aussies might be able to give you info on life in Brissy.

5. KungFuMaster

KungFuMaster Member
    7+ Year Member

I know a girl who is a transfer from Qld. Her reason for transfer is personal one; dad got sick or something in Sydney. She told me a little bit about Qld. She said overall the course is pretty good but she complains that the exams are "too board". I am not sure what that means.

6. jambo

jambo Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

hahahahahha i remember Kung Fu Master on the Commodore 64!

I am hoping to pass the entrance exam for acceeptance into the University of Queensland and can tell you all about life in Queensland, but not too much about course experience..... I wish! It's still a little while off for me yet. Good luck!

7. tidy_kiwi

tidy_kiwi Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Jambo - I have a couple of q's for you about brisbane:

1) How easy do you reckon it would be to get a part time job in the inner city (or in the 'burbs - where ever!) - I know that I will be pretty gosh darn busy with med school but a person has to eat (and sleep is for the weak anyhow)
    2) what would be an average wage for a p/t worker in their early twenties?
    3) How hot is it over there at the moment?
    4) How long would it take to get from Goldcoast to St Lucia/Herston - what would be the best way to do this?
    5) Will I be able to keep my accent or will I start sounding like an Aussie (please shoot me if this happens!)?

Thanks & Good luck with your endeavours.

8. KungFuMaster

KungFuMaster Member
    7+ Year Member

Jambo,

I thought that would be "Years Kung Fu" on Nintendo family entertainment system and in arcade. I don't remember KFM on Commodore 64.

LOL

9. jambo

jambo Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

tidy_kiwi :

1) Yes, sleep is for people with nothing better to do with their lives ;) I think you should be alright getting a job around Brissy if you are into the cafe/club sort of thing. Brisbane is absolutely loaded with cafes. My sister has worked in just about every cafe/club on the Gold Coast and has never been knocked back after an interview (mind you, some places require that you look good in a set of glow-in-the-dark hot pants).

2) For p/t work you will probably get around $AU12-18 an hour I guess. But with attending uni all day, you will end up with more if you work strange hours and public holidays ofcourse.

3) I think the temp is in the low 30s at the moment? I'm not sure, I've got the air conditioner on here at work :) I've never been too crash hot with guessing the current temp, but it can reach over 40 for a few days a year, mostly mid 20s to mid 30s in summer. But head to the Gold Coast beaches and waterways for the weekend and it will suddenly make sense why we don't care about the heat!

4) Takes me about an hour and 10 to drive from my place in Nerang on the Coast to St Lucia, add another half an hour+ if you get stuck in peak hour traffic around Brisbane. The train line has recently been improved and this is a good way to get there. You will have to leave from Helensvale or Nerang and I don't know how close it comes to the uni campus, but shouldn't be too far away. There is also a ferry dock at the uni. I've never taken the train to Brissy but have a few friends who do it all the time and students travel at half price too! It was only around $6 or something to travel from Nerang to Brissy return, but I don't know what it is about trains, they depress me enourmously!

5) For your own sake, you should try to grow an Aussie accent otherwise anyone and everyone will ask you to say "six" and "fish and chips" haha!

KungFuMaster : KFM on Commodore 64 was absolutely awesome! I still remember the day I bought it. It took me ages to find an emulator so I could play it on my PC :)

10. KungFuMaster

KungFuMaster Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Jambo,

Yeah KFM was fun then. But now when you play it, the graphics look terrible.

I have heard that they just banned Grandtheft Auto 3 for playstation 2 in Australia for extreme content and violence. Luckily I bought it beforehand. This game is the best ever for playstation 2 if you love violent games.