University of Queensland MBBS 2012 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alphonsine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied kinda late. I was interviewed in September but got accepted into the Class of 2012 because they're full this year. Anybody here in the same position?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat.

USydney said they weren't sending out offers until "october or early nov", so I still have my fingers crossed!

You mean you graduate in 2012 ... not start in 2012, right ?

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean you graduate in 2012 ... not start in 2012, right ?

Yes...

The year, as in "Class of..." is usually the graduation year :beat:

I mean in Facebook, "Class of..." refers to the graduation year.

what so you've been accepted to start in 2009? That's some early notice!

I applied kinda late. I was interviewed in September but got accepted into the Class of 2012 because they're full this year. Anybody here in the same position?

hey i'm in the same boat.. but i'm still on the waiting list for 2008 entry although there's a 99% chance that they won't be taking me in for 2008.

so anyway did they tell u any specifics about 2009 entry process? so it's confirmed a place in 2009 without a need for another round of interviews?

I'm also waiting for 2008 tho I've given up hope at this point.

But I guess working for a year before starting isn't so bad. I don't want to live in poverty while at Brisbane so time to save some $$$

I've emailed UQ regarding when they're sending out formal acceptances but I've yet to receive a decent reply. I guess the acceptances with the "2009" printed on them haven't been written yet since it's so early.

Yar I guess so..

I still have to finish my Final Year Project in the meantime. Sigh. I thought if I were accepted for the 2008 intake then I wouldn't need to finish my honours project. oh well.

so are you going to apply to other Aus med schools for their 2009 intake? I might consider applying to others like ANU and USyd. Everything is so uncertain right now. How I wish UQ can give a straight answer.

By the way, are you an international student as well? Just curious. I'm from Singapore.

Hey guys,

Any of you heard from UQ about the 2012 class yet? I haven't. Did any of you guys that were waiting for the 2011 class get in? Hope to hear from you guys!

Zuck

Nope I didn't get the notification either. I have emailed UQ but they didn't reply. So I guess we'll have to wait for the new round of interviews this year.

Well, those of us that didn't get a spot for 2011 and were interviewed should have a spot reserved for 2012. So, they should send out some documents so that we can make things official. I emailed the admissions office assistant but her email does not exist anymore.

Zuck

i think what they meant was not that a spot will be reserved for us for next year's intake. rather it means that we will have another chance competing for the vacancies during the next intake. they will be ranking us all over again. this information is what i gathered from talking of one of their administration guy. he doesn't seem very friendly.. :(

Hey Ting2,

Well, that would suck. Largely because their email to us last year was pretty clear in stating that a spot would be reserved for us. Last year I had emailed Kylie Lewis the admissions assistant and she had stated that too. Kylie doesn't seem to work their anymore. I'll try to phone them and see. If you can Ting, try to phone Prof. Wilkinson (head of admissions). He's the best person to talk to.

Zuck

Members don't see this ad :)
Prof Wilkinson is the Head of School, so it's highly unlikely you'd be able to talk to him. Prof Cleghorn is in charge of int'l student admissions (he's also in charge of the paeds rotation), but your best bet would be to talk to someone at the School front desk (option #4 I believe) and ask to be directed to the right admin person:

(+61) 3365 5278

btw the intake for this year which started this week is 425, including ~100 int'l students (about 65 Canadian).

-pitman

hi guys, new to the forum!
i am in the same situation as you guys. I also tried e-mailing Kylie Lewis but all my emails got bounced back. I don't know, I was expecting to hear from the school sooner (although it's only Feb now). I don't know for you guys, but I am feeling kinda iffy about this guaranteed spot for 2009. Let's say it's not guaranteed, and that the school is actually comparing out application against other new applicants and then decided that there is no longer a spot available, do you guys think this could be a possibility?

Thanks!

well i got the rejection from UQ finally for their 2008 intake.. i've indicated that i want to try for their 2009 intake.. so let's hope for the best..

boley979, try to email Cecile McGuire [[email protected]]. She is the international recruitment manager.

So when do you think they will notify applicants of their status for the 2009 intake now that the 2008 semester has commenced?

hi ting2, thanks for the contact info!. Just wondering, did you e-mail her yourself? and if you did, did you hear anything more concrete from Cecil in terms of this guaranteed acceptance for 2009 as well as when formal acceptance letter will be sent out?

I try to relax and think that it's all going well, and just that the school is a bit slow with handling 2009 application since the formal application for 2009 entry hasn't started yet. I just don't want to be disappointed after I had relied on what I was told, although I don't think what Kylie said was not meant by the school of medicine. After receiving the e-mail from her, she confirmed with the Director of Medicine and told me that I would be reserved a spot for 2009, and I am sure you guys were told the same thing. So I take that what she said when she was in office is binding. Hopefully we'll hear soon from the school.

I just got an email confirmation from Cecile McGuire (took her 3 weeks to answer my email) that all students who received UQ offers for the MBBS class commencing in 2009 will receive their formal admission offers in March or April and that we'll be contacted then.

Please people stop stressing. I've gotten so many PMs saying we have the apply next year.

If you guys want me to post the full letter, I'll be more than happy to.

well this is what i got from Cecile Mcguire

"UQ is not yet issuing offers for the 2009 intake. We will contact you in March or early April to ensure you are still interested in receiving an offer for the 2009 intake.Please do not hesitate tocontact me in the meantime if you have any questions, or if your application status changes."

As what Alphosine said, we just have to wait and see what happens in March. One month countdown.

Hello Alphonsine and ting2,

Thank you so much for the posts, I am indeed relieved, and I will stop stressing myself out. I have also e-mailed Cecil so maybe it will also take her 3 weeks to get back to me. But at least I can relax a bit now. Thanks! :love:

This is the exact text of the letter I received from Cecile McGuire.

All students contacted in 2007 about receiving an offer for the MBBS
program commencing in 2009 will receive further communication about the
2009 offers in March or April. If you have any questions prior to then,
please feel free to direct them to me, otherwise UQ's School of Medicine
will be in touch again in March-April.

Regards

Cecile McGuire
International Recruitment & Support Manager

I have never heard of UQ doing such a thing, you apply in the respective application year for entry.

I have never heard of UQ doing such a thing, you apply in the respective application year for entry.

Just because you never heard of it doesn't make it not true.

Flinders & Sydney gave away spots for 2012 last year also. If you do a board search here & in the Canadian med school form, a couple of student did get these kind of offers. My offer last year was from the Dean of UQ School of Medicine (and said, "we offer you the option of taking up a position in our MBBS class commencing in January 2009" (exact quote) and I doubt he'd lie, via Kylie Lewis. Kylie is the secretary: she has no say in anything. Everything that came through her came from above.

Plus, UQ just increased their international quota to 100 students, 30 more than last year. :scared: What that means for residency & internships, I just don't know. But I'm not going to think that far and take it day by day when I get there.

Just because you never heard of it doesn't make it not true.

Flinders & Sydney gave away spots for 2012 last year also. If you do a board search here & in the Canadian med school form, a couple of student did get these kind of offers. My offer last year was from the Dean of UQ School of Medicine (and said, "we offer you the option of taking up a position in our MBBS class commencing in January 2009" (exact quote) and I doubt he'd lie, via Kylie Lewis. Kylie is the secretary: she has no say in anything. Everything that came through her came from above.

Plus, UQ just increased their international quota to 100 students, 30 more than last year. :scared: What that means for residency & internships, I just don't know. But I'm not going to think that far and take it day by day when I get there.

UQ is not responsible (nor do they care) whether international students get internship spots in Australia. But for your information, it is basically impossible for international students to get internship spot even by 2009 simply because of the "tsunami of med students" and the spots allocation priority.

Yes, getting an internship will definitely be a hassel. I need an Aussie PR. I have 110 points, I just need 10 more points.

The good news is that Melbourne isn't having any medical graduates this coming year because they're switching to the post-graduate system. So that's a lot less students that year. :laugh: Don't know if that helps though.

UQ is not responsible (nor do they care) whether international students get internship spots in Australia. But for your information, it is basically impossible for international students to get internship spot even by 2009 simply because of the "tsunami of med students" and the spots allocation priority.

I disagree with this.

1) This year, everyone expected Qld int'l students to get shafted. Indeed, every year on the forums (for at least 4 years now), there have been claims that int'l students would get shafted for that year.

They haven't gotten shafted yet, and didn't this year either, because the UQ med soc (ok, a little pat on my back ;) ) and others lobbied Qld Health to increase the spots above and beyond what they had planned for the year; and because int'l students are now prioritized higher than the AMC candidates (foreign trained docs with Australian residency). In fact, every int'l student who wanted to stay (around 25) got a spot, with the bulk either 30mins north of Brisbane (Caboolture) or on the Gold Coast, with a few in Brissie and the rest up north.

It is certainly true that it will become increasingly difficult to stay in Queensland in future years, and for those only now starting med (internship in 2012) it will be very unlikely they will be able to stay, unless they get PR before they finish (technically, they're only allowed to apply before they start, but some have gotten around this).

But you never know. And South Australia is still expected to have spots then, after which students can more easily come back to Qld for PGY2 if they so desire.

2) The SoM does "care" about the int'l students. They created a new faculty position to deal with int'l student welfare, and they picked a very good person for the job (Prof Cleghorn, who also does int'l interviews). They also apply as much political pressure as possible to allow int'ls to stay. After all, if students can't stay, that will affect their recruitment.

Anywho, just wanted to clarify.

-pitman

hello everyone,

so i got a reply from Cecile McGuire and she said that, since i had chosen the second option from Kylie Lewis, my application will be given early priority and be re-assessed again when the assessment period begins for 2009, which is around late March/early April. So she cannot confirm that I will receive a spot in 2009.

What I interpret from this is basically that when I was given the options of either remaining on the waiting list for 2008 or take up a guarenteed spot for 2009, it really just meant waiting list for both 2008 AND 2009. Cecile did say in a previous email that the gpa and mcat/gamsat requirement haven't changed for 2009 though.

So, i think this is the position of the school now, and i am really hoping that they just need to follow a proper administrative protocal in terms of admitting its students and that the result will be the same. So i guess what we can do now is to wait and see, and sending more e-mails to her or the school probably won't change the fact that all applications have to be re-assessed again. :(

So did anyone else hear anything back from Cecile McGuire that's the same or different? :eek:

As an international student who is applying to the 2009 intake for a few austrailian med schools, I do think its a bit unfair and illogical that a school would promise spots from a following year to students who applied the previous year unless they were granted a deferral.

A school should be concerned with picking the most promising candidates from its pool of applicants each year. Although it would be nice for previous years applicants to be offered guaranteed positions, it defeats the purpose of selecting for the best and puts that year's applicants (who may be more qualified) at a disadvantage.

As much as know how much everyone desires to get into med school, I do advocate a fair selection process.

As an international student who is applying to the 2009 intake for a few austrailian med schools, I do think its a bit unfair and illogical that a school would promise spots from a following year to students who applied the previous year unless they were granted a deferral.

A school should be concerned with picking the most promising candidates from its pool of applicants each year. Although it would be nice for previous years applicants to be offered guaranteed positions, it defeats the purpose of selecting for the best and puts that year's applicants (who may be more qualified) at a disadvantage.

As much as know how much everyone desires to get into med school, I do advocate a fair selection process.

I agree. While I am not passing judgement on what has happened with the other members and UQ, I agree with krystale that applicants for each year should be measured against each other and their merits.

In saying that, I feel for you guys and would encourage you to continue to seek clarity regarding your status- from reading the posts it is not entriely clear to me what is happening with your positions. Fingers crossed for you xx

Cheers
Lyndal

Hey Guys,
Thought I'd try and bring this thread back to life a little bit. I'm a Canadian applicant and I just sent in all my stuff to UQ, my application info and MCAT info has arrived but my transcripts won't be there until Monday April 14th. Have most of you already sent in everything? Am I really late? Will my application be close to ready by May 1st? How fast do spots go at UQ?

Thanks guys!

Hey Guys,
Thought I'd try and bring this thread back to life a little bit. I'm a Canadian applicant and I just sent in all my stuff to UQ, my application info and MCAT info has arrived but my transcripts won't be there until Monday April 14th. Have most of you already sent in everything? Am I really late? Will my application be close to ready by May 1st? How fast do spots go at UQ?

Thanks guys!

I did the same thing. I applied back in January and wasn't told to send any transcripts. However, I am now working through OZTREKK and I sent my official copies to them. They certified them and electronically sent them to UQ and my application is now with the school of medicine.

Apparently UQ employs OZTREKK to do these things for US and Canadian students simply to expedite the process. It has worked wonders so far.

I'm a bit confused about the MCAT score reporting though. All I did was send an electronic copy to UQ of my scores. Doesn't seem all that official to me. I know AMCAS doesn't send scores abroad anymore either.

Hey,

I think those mcat score cards are pretty official...they have a verification number somewhere on it, so doubt they can be faked. If they receive all my info by Monday how long do you think it will take before UQ gets my info? Will it be in on time for May 1st or will I be late coming out of the blocks late so to speak?

Hey,

I think those mcat score cards are pretty official...they have a verification number somewhere on it, so doubt they can be faked. If they receive all my info by Monday how long do you think it will take before UQ gets my info? Will it be in on time for May 1st or will I be late coming out of the blocks so to speak?

Well I can't speak on what will get in on time. But what are you referring to when you say "they" and UQ? If Queensland gets your transcripts by Monday then I think you will have ample time, in my opinion, to get your application completed. Just email the application department to continually check in.

Ya UQ= University of Queensland, but i'm asking because I think i read somewhere that is takes them 5 weeks to process all your stuff so it is ready to be looked at...

Hi all,

I just received a email from Emma Zumaeta asking whether I would like to be considered for the 2009 intake. So I guess from there that we won't be given a guaranteed spot after all. We will still be considered against the entire panel of applicants for this year. Hope that helps=)

Good luck to all who are applying.

I bet you will probably get first priority at spots because it is on a rolling admission and they already have your information....

hey u guys!

im graduating this year and i'll have my final transcript end of april.. and i wrote the mcat again and will have my scores first week of may.. you think that would be too late? how fast do the seats fill up? please let me know

Hi all,

I just received a email from Emma Zumaeta asking whether I would like to be considered for the 2009 intake. So I guess from there that we won't be given a guaranteed spot after all. We will still be considered against the entire panel of applicants for this year. Hope that helps=)

Good luck to all who are applying.

What kind of MCAT score did it take for you to be a borderline candidate?

The school can check the validity of a score report with a verification code, usually most applicants electronically submit their MCAT scores to ACER.

What kind of MCAT score did it take for you to be a borderline candidate?

Dear Shan564,
I think the application criteria does not depend strictly to the kind of MCAT scores you get. It also depend on the interview and the number of vacancies available. I got a 30P. Don't think i'll be applying to UQ for 2009 intake. I'm already accepted somewhere else. Good luck to all who are still applying. :)

Hehehe. I just got my unconditional offer today in my email. Going to Brisbane next year ! Hola!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey alphonsine, did you have to re-interview or did they just send you the email?

hey alphonsine, did you have to re-interview or did they just send you the email?

No, I didn't have to re-interview. I didn't receive any formal notification from them since late last year, but I was in email correspondence with the new secretary. I knew I was going to get my formal offer soon (i.e. in April).

I also sent them my new MCAT scores from very recently to cover my a$$ since technically for 2009, they only look at scores from after 2007. I was offered last year in 2007 so I decided to retake the MCAT. BTW, I got 35 and 33 respectively on my MCAT for the two times I took it.

I'm so excited to move to Brisbane. It's one of the best cities in the world in which to live. Very good quality of life. :D:D:D:D

congrats alphonsine! i'm a new applicant this year. hopefully we don't have to wait long for new applicants... they said that the assessments start tomorrow (may 1).

Hello. I 'm from Los Angeles. I just got in to UQ:). But I have applied to Texas and AMCAS. I am thinking about deferring, because I think if I can get in, in the states, it will be easier to get a good competitive internship.
Is anyone in the same boat?

Hey Alpho,

Nice to see someone active on here who's going! I just got my offer, and I am for sure going to take it as long as I can get the financing together. My brother's in med school here in Canada, and apparently the bank financing is really easy to get, enough for UQ anyway. I have appointments with BMO and RBC on Thursday. I'll post here with the details of how it goes.