University of Queensland vs University of Melbourne Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sciencyyyyyy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So, I'm a Canadian student and I've gotten an offer from both. I'm not sure which one to choose. I feel like there's pros and cons to both.

UQ
pros:
-tuition (81 K)+ cost of living in Brisbane is cheaper
-high number of overseas/international placements
-more international students (will be nice to have that shared experience)
-they have an awesome med student society
cons:
-large class sizes (490)
-the admission process is easier compared to Umel
-less hands on experience

UMel
Pros:
-a lot more clinical experience
-smaller class size comparatively (340)
-ranked 16th on QS rankings
Cons:
-scared of z-scores used by Victoria state
- Z-scores used by the Victoria State fosters a competitive environment
-EXPENSIVE tuition (92K) + Cost of living
-less international placements but more can be arranged

For people going to any of these universities, what are your thoughts? Why did you choose one university over the other? Any advice because I'm very confused right now?

Members don't see this ad.

Go post on PagingDr, you won't get any info from here. (Melbourne is way better)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

So, I'm a Canadian student and I've gotten an offer from both. I'm not sure which one to choose. I feel like there's pros and cons to both.

UQ
pros:
cons:
-large class sizes (490)

UMel
Pros:
Cons:

For people going to any of these universities, what are your thoughts? Why did you choose one university over the other? Any advice because I'm very confused right now?
I believe @Phloston matriculated and graduated from Queensland. Perhaps he can advise you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

UQ
pros:
cons:
-large class sizes (490)

UMel
Pros:
Cons:

I believe @Phloston matriculated and graduated from Queensland. Perhaps he can advise you?

If you want to go to the USA after you're done with med school, do UQ-Ochsner. When it comes to USMLE, you won't want to screw around.

If you want to return to Canada after med school, it doesn't matter where you go. You'll have to sit the MCCQE regardless. I don't think either program necessarily caters heavily toward Canadians. You'll end up finding a niche at either school + study groups accordingly. I know various Canadians from UQ (including one of my old housemates) who went back to Canada after UQ and are doing very well.

Both class sizes are large; that difference between UQ and UM really doesn't matter, as things will seem unpersonalized regardless. Unless you're at a school with a class of, e.g., 120, don't expect a personalized feel.

Don't make your decision based on how difficult the admissions process is. It's irrelevant and just in your head as far as trying to chase some arbitrary notion of prestige. Literally no one cares. The number of brilliant doctors that comes out of both schools is high. Most of the Aussies at UQ med matriculated into med school directly out of high school and were far smarter than the internationals (including myself) by a long shot. I have enough humility this far along to acknowledge that.

I graduated UQ's full Aussie program (i.e., I did not do UQ-Ochsner). Had I chosen to stay in Australia, I would have been shafted as an international and had to go to one of three obscure intern locations no one wanted to go to. The alternative was to work at a local private hospital in Brisbane, but I would have had to do a year of rural/outback as the trade-off.

If you go to UMel and stay in Australia, you'll likely be doing intern year in Victoria, yes.

Australia doesn't use a USMLE equivalent. There's no merit that goes into intern placements. Essentially: if you're Aussie/NZ, you can go anywhere based on a mix of luck + grades + recommendations; if you're international, doesn't matter if you ace med school + USMLEs; you still get last pick.

If you're in your 20s and want a fun life, go to UQ if you want beach + surf culture. I spent ages 22-29 in Queensland. It was amazing. Lots of parties and sleeping on the beach.

Melbourne is more of a hipster culture. It's much more focused on music and fashion. And it's cold AF. You'll be thinking about how you could have chosen palm trees up in Queensland if you choose Melbourne.

Here's my post from 2012 about UQ (I had made various updates): I'm a 3rd-year at University of Queensland. Here are pros/cons of the program:

Last edited:
If you want to go to the USA after you're done with med school, do UQ-Ochsner. When it comes to USMLE, you won't want to screw around.

If you want to return to Canada after med school, it doesn't matter where you go. You'll have to sit the MCCQE regardless. I don't think either program necessarily caters heavily toward Canadians. You'll end up finding a niche at either school + study groups accordingly. I know various Canadians from UQ (including one of my old housemates) who went back to Canada after UQ and are doing very well.

Both class sizes are large; that difference between UQ and UM really doesn't matter, as things will seem unpersonalized regardless. Unless you're at a school with a class of, e.g., 120, don't expect a personalized feel.

Don't make your decision based on how difficult the admissions process is. It's irrelevant and just in your head as far as trying to chase some arbitrary notion of prestige. Literally no one cares. The number of brilliant doctors that comes out of both schools is high. Most of the Aussies at UQ med matriculated into med school directly out of high school and were far smarter than the internationals (including myself) by a long shot. I have enough humility this far along to acknowledge that.

I graduated UQ's full Aussie program (i.e., I did not do UQ-Ochsner). Had I chosen to stay in Australia, I would have been shafted as an international and had to go to one of three obscure intern locations no one wanted to go to. The alternative was to work at a local private hospital in Brisbane, but I would have had to do a year of rural/outback as the trade-off.

If you go to UMel and stay in Australia, you'll likely be doing intern year in Victoria, yes.

Australia doesn't use a USMLE equivalent. There's no merit that goes into intern placements. Essentially: if you're Aussie/NZ, you can go anywhere based on a mix of luck + grades + recommendations; if you're international, doesn't matter if you ace med school + USMLEs; you still get last pick.

If you're in your 20s and want a fun life, go to UQ if you want beach + surf culture. I spent ages 22-29 in Queensland. It was amazing. Lots of parties and sleeping on the beach.

Melbourne is more of a hipster culture. It's much more focused on music and fashion. And it's cold AF. You'll be thinking about how you could have chosen palm trees up in Queensland if you choose Melbourne.

Here's my post from 2012 about UQ (I had made various updates): I'm a 3rd-year at University of Queensland. Here are pros/cons of the program:
Good to see you around here, @Phloston I remember when you were prepping for Step 1, 2, etc. back in the day and your advice and tips were always top-notch and appreciated. Your advice and thoughts are always helpful which is why I tagged you. OP, listen up, this guy knows what he's talking about.

I know you're onto bigger and better things in Osaka, but hope you're doing well, buddy.

To second this, if your aim is to match back to the US, UQ-Ochsner (not UQ-Traditional) would be more helpful

If you're comfortable matching in Australia, either will work, although your internship allocation priority group is higher in Victoria