University of Rochester Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UrsaMajor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I'll be the first. Top choice and excited for August. Anyone else a sure thing let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently accepted to Rochester. I really liked the school... however, I am still waiting to hear back from a few others before I make my final decision. Congrats on being accepted to your top choice.

Top choice as well.
It's nice how I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the school. The only negatives I hear are usually the location of the school and as a result the weather.

Congrats to everyone accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hooray possible new Rochesterians! :hardy:

If anyone ever needs any questions answered, let me know!

I was accepted in November and this is a top choice for me. I am waiting to hear back from a few nyc schools. I am also juggling the factors of cost and location which work against Rochester in my case since I have been accepted to more local, cheaper state schools...

This is definitely my first choice school so I'll be attending in the fall! I absolutely loved the school and everything about it. The location and the weather is something I'll adapt to, its beyond worth it! Hope to see you guys in august and congrats to all of you!!!!!

I was accepted in November and this is a top choice for me. I am waiting to hear back from a few nyc schools. I am also juggling the factors of cost and location which work against Rochester in my case since I have been accepted to more local, cheaper state schools...

I, too, was accepted to the state school back in my home state (about a 13.5 hour drive from Rochester) that was cheaper, but decided Rochester really suited me. If you need help weighing your options, let me know! Also, it's super early... May 15th is very, very far away. Take all the time you're given! Oh, and come to our second look when we have it late April... should be a good time ;)

I got a PM just now asking me some questions about Rochester and thought I would post the questions and my answers here just in case they were of any interest to anyone else!

One thing I was wondering about was the ambulatory clerkship and how that works, what exactly do the students do.

I just started ACE, or our ambulatory clerkship. ACE runs the second semester of 1st year and throughout 2nd year. Many people compare ACE to a family medicine rotation... which is essentially what it is due to our double helix curriculum of always having science and clinical intertwined. ACE has a combination of lecture, small group, and clinical time. Right now, since I am in my first week, we are only doing the first two. Our schedules include learning how to get across certain points to patients (i.e. physical activity promotion, tobacco cessation, etc.) and we also have sessions about specialties (one I can remember being in our schedule is ortho).

Starting January 26th, my class goes out to physician's offices. Everyone is given a preceptor to work with and once a week you go to their offices. At the beginning, we shadow them to get our bearings. Later, we get more responsibilities (physicals, interviews, write ups of patients). As for this semester, we have 16 sessions w/ our preceptors-- 8 w/ a pediatric preceptor, 8 with a family med/internal med preceptor. Next year, they do things like women's health, men's health, etc.

Also, I was wondering about housing and the best place to live (on-campus vs. off).

There are many, many places to live here in Rochester. Many of my classmates live in the neighborhood directly behind the hospital lovingly named "The White Coat Ghetto" since it is mostly students and residents. I live in a house in this neighborhood and I really like it. The rent is very affordable (some people even own their own houses) and you can't beat only having to walk 5-10 minutes to school in the morning (comes in handy when you don't want to drive!). We also have some apartment complexes about a 5-10 minute drive away that some of my classmates live in and enjoy. Other people live further away, yet a great majority live close. As far as on campus, the main two places people live are Goler House (you literally walk 30 seconds outside before getting into the hospital) which is a high rise apartment complex and University Park which are apartments adjacent to the white coat ghetto. The options for on campus housing are given to you in a packet when you receive your acceptance and might give better descriptions than I can.

Lastly, what's your overall impression of rochester? Do you enjoy being there? professors? students? how are rotations?

Rochester is great! Despite my hometown being far away, I really do love it. Professors and students? I would have to say those are my favorite things about Rochester. The people here are absolutely wonderful-- everyone looks out for one another. The teachers I have experienced in my short time here have been so helpful and truly caring. My class is so diverse and yet meshes so well. I remember coming to Rochester for my interview and being so ecstatic about how nice, happy, and helpful everyone seemed. I cannot speak much about rotations as I am only a first year, but I do know that our 3rd years really enjoy themselves and find a good balance in 3rd year due to having their clinicals broken up by basic science blocks rather than stringing all the clinicals together and never getting a break. If you come to 2nd look weekend (you will hear more about this soon via email), we are *hoping* to have a panel of 3rd and 4th years that you can ask these types of questions too... I feel like you never come out of interview days knowing much about these years, so this is a good chance.

Let me know if there's anything else! :)

Last edited:
Just got accepted - great. Now where to live? anybody knows? Checked Craigs list and White Coat Ghetto seems to be the area? any idea?
There were even some options on the same street as the hospital - Crittenden Blvd - very close. Anybody local who knows the area. Across the river appears to be more city and not as safe?
Looking forward tio August.

Just got accepted - great. Now where to live? anybody knows? Checked Craigs list and White Coat Ghetto seems to be the area? any idea?
There were even some options on the same street as the hospital - Crittenden Blvd - very close. Anybody local who knows the area. Across the river appears to be more city and not as safe?
Looking forward tio August.

There's a lot of really affordable housing in Rochester. The White Coat Ghetto is definitely a popular option from what I hear (I'm more familiar with the city in general than with the specific school area); the area is bounded by Crittenden, so it's definitely very close.

There are also various apartment complexes on Elmwood close to the school. My brother lives in one right next to Highland park; it's a really nice area only a few minutes away from the school, and his rent isn't bad at all. The Corn Hill area is also a possibility.

If you want to be more in the city, the Park Ave area has a lot of apartments and is a nice and safe area. It'll be a bit more expensive and definitely not within walking distance, but it's still a pretty short drive.

The university will probably send out information once it gets closer to August, but there's a few general ideas.

Rochester is also definitely near the top of my list; the cost is a big issue, though, so I'll have to see how all the financial aid shakes out. Congrats to everyone!

Along w/ what tessa said (and what I said in my post above) concerning housing...

In the acceptance packet, you will receive a housing brochure about on campus housing and a link to places to look for off campus housing. Many of my classmates live in the White Coat Ghetto (directly behind the hospital) because it is not expensive and it is so convenient. If an apartment is your thing, people usually live at places called Rustic Village and 1600 Elmwood.

In the summer, the school sends out an email asking if you want to be on the housing list. This means you are either looking for housing or looking for roommates to share what you have already found. This info is put on an orientation website and you can read about where classmates are living if you want a roommate or just some ideas.

I think I will try to live in the White Coat Ghetto. It is sooo close I can't beleive it. I saw some pics on a website it looks really nice. The rent seems very reasonable compared to what I pay here in LA. Can you get a room in a shared house with your own bath? I like to have some privacy and my own bath would be great.

Along w/ what tessa said (and what I said in my post above) concerning housing...

In the acceptance packet, you will receive a housing brochure about on campus housing and a link to places to look for off campus housing. Many of my classmates live in the White Coat Ghetto (directly behind the hospital) because it is not expensive and it is so convenient. If an apartment is your thing, people usually live at places called Rustic Village and 1600 Elmwood.

In the summer, the school sends out an email asking if you want to be on the housing list. This means you are either looking for housing or looking for roommates to share what you have already found. This info is put on an orientation website and you can read about where classmates are living if you want a roommate or just some ideas.

I think I will try to live in the White Coat Ghetto. It is sooo close I can't beleive it. I saw some pics on a website it looks really nice. The rent seems very reasonable compared to what I pay here in LA. Can you get a room in a shared house with your own bath? I like to have some privacy and my own bath would be great.

This might be a rarer occasion, but yes, some are set up like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
i was thinking about creating a University of Rochester School of Medicine Class of 2013 facebook group....a lot of the other schools have created theirs already, but i wanna make sure ppl here are on facebook. good idea or no?

I just got asked about the facebook group so, yes, it is up....look for "university of rochester school of medicine class of 2013"
I'm excited to meed everyone, sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
does rochester pay for second look?? bcs that would be amazinggg

does rochester pay for second look?? bcs that would be amazinggg

Sorry, afraid we don't. But, we don't make you pay for it all, either. You are in charge of your transportation to and from Rochester, but we set you up w/ hosts so you don't have to pay for a hotel and we take care of all of your meals on Friday (muffin/bagel breakfast, catered lunch, and potluck dinner made by the 1st and 2nd years that everyone always loves!).

Sorry, afraid we don't. But, we don't make you pay for it all, either. You are in charge of your transportation to and from Rochester, but we set you up w/ hosts so you don't have to pay for a hotel and we take care of all of your meals on Friday (muffin/bagel breakfast, catered lunch, and potluck dinner made by the 1st and 2nd years that everyone always loves!).

Sounds nice!!

Hi guys, i just wanted to congratulate you all on your acceptance to Rochester!

I'm currently a 4th year, and I'm almost done with interviewing for General Surgery Residency programs. It's kind of funny since I acutely remember doing the same thing 4 years ago and wondering what med school I'd end up at.

I love Rochester. Even in retrospect, I wouldn't have gone anywhere else. It is not perfect, and I can find things to complain about, but overall I had a lot of fun, received an excellent education, and enjoyed my time here. I think that being on the residency interview trail and going to other programs has also made me really appreciate what i've had here and realize how good we have it in Rochester.

I'd be happy to answer any questions about the school or the city, just PM me. Good luck!

If anyone is sure they are coming in August and is interested in sharing a house please let me know. I looked at a few really nice houses but the Land Lord said they usually go by mid Feb. As I am leaving to to hike the AT in not to long I would like to be able to get my housing straightened out as well as not loose one of these nice houses. They are on Rossiter Street, less than two blocks from the hospital. I went to undergrad here and it is by far the best housing option for us. Campus provided housing is generally quite pricey for what you are really getting. Let me know if anyone is interested. I'm not too picky on roommates as long as you are as equally easy going and might be interested in hosting an occasional social event :) now and again. I can send pics if interested. Thanks

I just got asked about the facebook group so, yes, it is up....look for "university of rochester school of medicine class of 2013"
I'm excited to meed everyone, sorry for the confusion!

Got the phone call on Wednesday.

Haaaaai guuuuuys. :D

Feels pretty damn good to finally be posting in the allopathic forum, eh? Wheee!

So can someone start up the facebook group already? I wanna see who's shoulder I'll be sobbing on come the first round of exams. ;) (ETA: Just kidding. My browser wasn't refreshed so I didn't see the above post. Thanks for starting it!)

Congrats everyone! I'm still in shock.

:soexcited::highfive::clap::woot::claps::banana::biglove::welcome::hardy:

Awesome! that seems generous enough. Unfortunately second look weekend is the same date as my state schools second look. Fortunately I think Ill come to Rochester's instead.

Second Look Weekend info should be coming out this week! Get excited :hardy:

If anyone is sure they are coming in August and is interested in sharing a house please let me know. I looked at a few really nice houses but the Land Lord said they usually go by mid Feb. As I am leaving to to hike the AT in not to long I would like to be able to get my housing straightened out as well as not loose one of these nice houses. They are on Rossiter Street, less than two blocks from the hospital. I went to undergrad here and it is by far the best housing option for us. Campus provided housing is generally quite pricey for what you are really getting. Let me know if anyone is interested. I'm not too picky on roommates as long as you are as equally easy going and might be interested in hosting an occasional social event :) now and again. I can send pics if interested. Thanks

I found a nice even closer on Crittenden. They have a website:www16best.com would you be interested?
Dr2013

Appears to be a great place to live - anybody interested in sharing a house?
Dr 2013

Appears to be a great place to live - anybody interested in sharing a house?
Dr 2013
That does look pretty nice. I should find out this weekend if I can get in on a house with some current students. If that doesnt work out, I'd be interested. Things like price would also be a factor of course.

Lacrossefiend, do you know how much rent costs for campus apartments? I've been told renting a house is a better deal, but I don't know the numbers. Thanks

Lacrossefiend, do you know how much rent costs for campus apartments? I've been told renting a house is a better deal, but I don't know the numbers. Thanks

You know, I can't remember the exact prices for campus housing. But, I believe in your acceptance packet there was a campus housing guide w/ a sheet tucked inside that gives prices. Most of my class lives off campus (and by off campus, I mean right behind the hospital) in houses and its a pretty good deal.

Second Look stuff is out! :D

when you are looking for housing, remember that the "White Coat Ghetto" is a med student nickname for the area, and won't be used by anyone else. If you look on craigslist or where ever, it will be called "Strong/UofR" or some other variety of that.

Other nice neighborhoods students live in include the Park Ave area, South Wedge, and Cornhill. There are actually a number of other nice areas to live too, but not as many students live there.

In terms of rent, student housing (Goler, UPK) is something around 650 for 1 bedrooms (heat and electricity included). Students who share houses can pay as little as 300 for a room. Other popular housing complexes include Rustic Village, and Elmwood Manor, rent in these apartments are a bit more than university housing, but not by much.

A great website is rentrochester.com

In general, it's way too early to be apartment hunting in Rochester, if you are planning on moving in this summer. The only exceptions are the large apartment complexes, that may start putting you on wait lists, and the student housing lottery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Thanks for the info. It is a good web site. However they did not have anything in the UofR/Strong area even though they listed a few places as such. I like to be closer to the Med Ctr I will aim for the WCG. Walking distance! There is not much available now but I guess it will change in the coming months.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks for the info. It is a good web site. However they did not have anything in the UofR/Strong area even though they listed a few places as such. I like to be closer to the Med Ctr I will aim for the WCG. Walking distance! There is not much available now but I guess it will change in the coming months.

in the late spring the school facilitates lists of students looking for roommates or apartments that are available. Most WCG housing is found this way - it's either passed down from upperclassmen, or students buy/rent whole houses and find roommates.

In general, housing turnover in the WCG area is only in the spring coinciding with the academic calendar, so it makes sense that there isn't anything available now.

In particular, if you are looking to buy in the WCG, start looking around after Match (March 19th), when the 4th years will all know where they are moving. Rentals will also start going up around then, as tenants tell their landlords that they are leaving.

I'm at work and can't make the phone call to admissions right now, so I'm relying on you guys. ;)

Anyone know where to send our acceptance of admissions form? I'm assuming it's the address in the upper right corner (601 Elmwood, Box 601A), but it doesn't specify, nor does it indicate to whom we should address it. Thanks!

Yeah that's the right address. I sent mine to university of Rochester school of medicine office of medical admissions and they received it.

Did everyone else get the email about 2nd look weekend? I'd love to go, but I'm wondering if it's worth it if I already made my decision. Lacrossefiend, I suspect you may be one of the people who wrote the email :ninja: Do you only recommend it for people making a decision or would it be helpful for me as well? Thanks

I got the email and even though I've made my decision to attend Rochester, I'm still going just to get an inside look and to meet people and see the area. More for informative purposes and familiarization. And I wanna meet potential classmates and see the housing options too. I think it will be fun.

Agree w/ EE. You'll get a chance to see more of the school, meet the wonderful people already here and who will possibly be here w/ you. You also get to check out the housing scene... and meet me in person ;)

And no comment about your suspicions! :rolleyes:

I have a question about class attire, I know some schools have students wear business casual or professional attire to class, and I was wondering if Rochester did the same, or if you only wear professional attire for clerkships and ACE.

I have a question about class attire, I know some schools have students wear business casual or professional attire to class, and I was wondering if Rochester did the same, or if you only wear professional attire for clerkships and ACE.

People wear anything they want to class unless there will be a patient (or a fake standardized patient) coming to lecture. You will (almost) always know when one will be coming into class ahead of time. In general, first years start out wearing professional attire and even white coats when they know a patient will be in class, but that stops pretty quickly for most people and devolves into more comfortable clothes. Eventually, most people give up on remembering to dress up for patients, and also realize that in general they aren't going to be seeing anything but your top anyway while you are sitting in the lecture hall. Some guys continue to wear shirts and ties on patient days, but most don't.

Of course, many students leave right from school for preceptor, so, especially second year when you go two days a week, a good chunk of the class will be dressed up for that.

Official standardized patient encounters are dressed up with white coat though.

Hey all

I think Im posting this in the wrong thread but its the closest one that I could find but I just wanted to ask how long it took after your interview to get your reply from rochester, also did anyone here interviewed on 1/15 or after and got their response?

thanks and congrats to everyone

Although a little far in advanced, anyone know what kind of attire we need to wear during second look weekend? I know some schools have released information about this, but I was unable to find anything.

Good question, I was actually wondering that too...lacrossefiend??

Although a little far in advanced, anyone know what kind of attire we need to wear during second look weekend? I know some schools have released information about this, but I was unable to find anything.

So, last year for Friday during the day people wore everything from jeans to slacks/skirts. My gut reaction is to say jeans/khakis and a nice shirt (i.e. polo shirt), but I will try to get the official word from the admissions office this week.

Friday night you will be going out, so wear whatever is comfortable for you.

Saturday for the housing tour can be whatever is comfy.

Yay! I'm so excited! Thanks for the info.

Hello future classmates! I have a question regarding the weather. Is it true that Rochester gets a lot of cloudy days, and hardly see the sun in the winter time?
I am looking forward to second look week :)
anyone from CT?

Hello future classmates! I have a question regarding the weather. Is it true that Rochester gets a lot of cloudy days, and hardly see the sun in the winter time?
I am looking forward to second look week :)
anyone from CT?

Hey! I've heard the same about the weather, but I wouldn't know. I'm coming allllllll the way from Georgia. Are u choosing between other schools or are you going to second look for more info?

Hey! I've heard the same about the weather, but I wouldn't know. I'm coming allllllll the way from Georgia. Are u choosing between other schools or are you going to second look for more info?

The proof is in the data (evidence based... weather?):

Number of Sunny Days a Year

On average, 61 fully sunny days a year (so not counting partial cloudy, partial sun, whatever). Atlanta has 110. Hartford gets 82. Miami has 74. There is even a city in Hawaii that only has 36. Clearly, this is not the best predictor of weather ... if it most often rains once a day somewhere tropical, it doesn't count as a sunny day.

So do with this data what you wish :)