University of Rochester FM Residency Competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrimaryCareDOToBe

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am a DO student looking to practice primary care in Rochester, NY in the future. In my dream world, this would mean doing residency at Highland Hospital, but would be open to doing it at Rochester Regional's as well.

Can anyone speak to the competitiveness of these programs?

I know FM is strong into their personal statements and affinity to the specialty - I have wanted to do Primary Care since before medical school and I have strong ties to the local area - volunteered at U of R in middle school, was a medical scribe in the Rochester area for internal med pcp for an entire year through Rochester Regional, and my PCP growing up was a FM doc from U of R! I want to be able to work back in that capacity, but I am nervous because looking at their residents, it appears they lean heavily MD with very limited DOs being accepted to the program at UR. Also, to complicate things, I am couples matching with a spouse who's also doing FM, and there is definitely a difference in our competitiveness. My SO, despite not being from Rochester, did however do undergrad at UR, if this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I am a DO student looking to practice primary care in Rochester, NY in the future. In my dream world, this would mean doing residency at Highland Hospital, but would be open to doing it at Rochester Regional's as well.

Can anyone speak to the competitiveness of these programs?

I know FM is strong into their personal statements and affinity to the specialty - I have wanted to do Primary Care since before medical school and I have strong ties to the local area - volunteered at U of R in middle school, was a medical scribe in the Rochester area for internal med pcp for an entire year through Rochester Regional, and my PCP growing up was a FM doc from U of R! I want to be able to work back in that capacity, but I am nervous because looking at their residents, it appears they lean heavily MD with very limited DOs being accepted to the program at UR. Also, to complicate things, I am couples matching with a spouse who's also doing FM, and there is definitely a difference in our competitiveness. My SO, despite not being from Rochester, did however do undergrad at UR, if this helps.
They interview tons of DOs. I had average board scores, but I did take Step 1 & 2 CK. I actually ranked them pretty high, because the program has a strong behavioral health component, but I matched higher on my list, so I have no idea if they ranked me to match. I'm sure being from there helps, and like I said, they interview tons of DOs and seem to match at least 1-2/year, so I would definitely apply and make your interest known. Don't be discouraged by only seeing a few DOs there.