University of Rochester grading system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ishqbina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I wanted to find out if anyone knew what the grading system is like at the University of Rochester. If someone could please let me know, I will appreciate it. Also, if you have any thoughts about the pass/fail system and the graded - A, B, C, etc. system, please feel free to post.

Thanks,
ishqbina

Members don't see this ad.

ishqbina said:
Hey everyone,

I wanted to find out if anyone knew what the grading system is like at the University of Rochester. If someone could please let me know, I will appreciate it. Also, if you have any thoughts about the pass/fail system and the graded - A, B, C, etc. system, please feel free to post.

Thanks,
ishqbina

you can look up all of that stuff on the AAMC website:
but here is a breakdown of U or R:

24. University of Rochester____________
First Year Student Budget: $54,275 Score: 0.75
Financial Aid/etc…: have both need based university loans and need based scholarships, very few merit based scholarships. Also maintain an Alumni Fund (but most school have this). Like with the other NY schools…med students of U of R have access to the NY healthcare scholarship (up to $10,000…then you must work as a primary care physician in NY for every year that you receive the award. % of enrolled students receiving financial aid: 92%, average amount per scholarship/grant: $17,712, Average 2005 graduate indebtedness: $134,367 Score: 4.25
Curriculum/etc…: U of R supposedly has a biopsychosocial tradition…Their curriculum is referred to as the “Double Helix Curriculum”: integration of basic science and clinical medicine. Emphasis is placed on active learning via PBL in small group sessions, seminars, conferences, laboratories, and computer-assisted learning. Several student aids to learning are used to drive home the emphasis on the integration of basic science and clinical medicine. PBL complements whole-class overview. Clinical exposure (early patient contact) begins during the first week of the first year. Exposure is not minimized to simple shadowing. Rather, students begin real clinical work as part of a healthcare team. Students begin clinical exposure through their “Introduction to Clinical Medicine” and then move to their “Ambulatory Care Clerkship” (very unique in that you are exposed to the ambulatory components of family medicine, pediatrics, internal medicine, women’s health, psychiatry, and ambulatory surgery) for their spring semester of the first year (which end by the end of the 2nd year). Clinical Clerkships: 3rd year: focus is on acute care experiences in Adult Medicine (internal and surgery), Women’s and Children’s Health (Pediatrics and OB/GYN), Mind/Brain/Behavior (Neurology and Psychiatry). Since U or R highlights an integration of basic sci. and clinical medicine they ensure that you continue basic science concepts…during the third year there are 3 two-week basic science blocks. These blocks are used to reexamine basic science information and principles as they apply to the care of the patient (I am interested in seeing how well they perform on their boards…b/c they have a pretty sweet curriculum). 4th Year: variety of clinical electives. Requirements: Community Health Improvement Clerkship, “The Process of Discovery” course, Emergency Medicine, a subinternship and Successful Interning course….Students use 4th year to complete international clerkships. Grading Scale: 3 intervals for basic science courses (Honors/Pass/Fail), Required clerkships: 5 intervals (ABCDF or equivalent), Elective Clinical Clerkships: 2 intervals (Pass/Fail or equiv). Required community service requirement (niiiiiiiiiiice)…completed through the Community Health Involvement Clerkship. Research/Thesis is optional…but if do complete a thesis then you graduate with “Distinction in Research” honors. Score: 15 (I like this system)
#Affiliated Hospitals: 5 with several new supporting facilities Score: 6.25 (they have some really nice new facilities)
Selection Factors: Private, Rolling, no known state preference, Avg. GPA: no mentioned, Overall Median GPA: 3.74, Science Median GPA: 3.69, Avg. MCAT: not mentioned, Median MCAT: 33Q (Ranges: V: 5 – 15, P: 5 – 15, B: 7 – 14, writing: M – T), 4192 applications for 679 interview slots, Average Age: 24 (Age Range: 21 – 38) Score: 5.75
Diversity: 10% URM, 36% minority Score: 9.25 (yeah…I’m being nice b/c according to my breakdown this score should barely be worth 4 points)
Dual Degree Options: MD/MPH, MD/MBA, MD/PhD, MD/MS (several options) for MS degrees Score: 8+++++++
Student Support: Students have access to 3 health science libraries (of course none are as large as Harvard’s one biomedical library); Student Advising uses what they call the “Advisory Dean System” to pair students with one of the four advisory deans for the entire four years…they serve as career advisors as well. There is a center for Advocacy, Community Health, Education and Diversity (CACHED)….hahaha it figures that this school does not have an established minority affairs office (by itself…Rochester is not very diverse and the school tends to shy away from saying that they actively recruit URM’s…Anyway, CACHED supports programs to broaden the scope of medical education beyond the classroom….strives to cross-culturally competent physicians. One specific program sponsored by CACHED is the Summer Research Fellowship (SURF) Program. Several student aids to learning.
Score: 6
Housing: on campus housing assigned by lottery (booooooooo)…an adequate amount of housing is available off campus, no off campus affiliated housing Score: 5
Location: Rochester, NY…not as a diverse patient population but there is still a fair amount…well what do you expect…from the pictures it looks nice and safe (of course I am sure there are other parts that are not so safe…I’m not impressed Score: 4
Class Size: 100…so approximately 15% of interviewees matriculate…so a larger percentage of interviewees are accepted.
Residency Match List: 44% of past graduates have entered primary care residency programs, 56% have entered the specialized residency programs
Volunteer/Research Opportunities: The one thing I will say is that this school has taken the initiative to develop community outreach programs/initiatives: The HealthACTION consortium. U or R also plays a major role in the African American Health Status Task Force and the Hispanic Health Coalition; U or R maintains a partnership with JOSANA. In addition to the many of the community partnerships and coalitions mentioned, U or R departments have implemented more than 75 community service programs and interventions annually (niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice)…All of this is evident in their “Working Toward a Healthier Community” video….There are several other things that should be mentioned b/c the represent the depth to which U of R has gone to help rectify the many issues that exist within specific areas of society…quick e.g. (last one that I will mention here…but there are many more): the placement of telehealth units at seven inner city child care centers (niiiiice….super kudos…this school is doing more in a smaller city than some larger schools are doing in larger cities). Research: Students have the option of pursuing honors recognition in research by participating in a five year curriculum known as the “Academic Research Track” (implemented in 2005), there are several research fellowships available for students (both summer and during the school year)…many students now take an extra year to pursue a scholarly project (or to pursue a dual degree)…there is also the Summer Research Fellowship (SURF) Program (mentioned earlier). A fair number of research facilities exist…U of R (back in 1996) implemented a ten year program designed to further build up their facilities and attract more federally and privately funded awards….the newest additions to research facilities has increased research space to more than 420,000 square feet. Total NIH funding: $140,609,015 (rank: 30th), Total NIH supported research funding: $128,381,822. Score: 11
Miscellaneous: The have a couple of cool videos, nice website…I am still upset about the 10% URM (since average is 12%)…but that is so much better than 4%. I am very impressed with U of R’s commitment to community service/outreach…the school even won an award for that in 2004 Score: 3

Total Score: NO FULL SCORE ASSIGNED UNTIL ALL SCHOOLS COMPLETED…HELPS PREVENT ANY POSSIBLE INLETS FOR BIAS

Where on the aamc website can you find this information??