University of Rochester vs Case Western Reserve University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MHrndz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

So I am having a really hard time trying to decide between Rochester and Case. I had a great time during both of my interviews and I feel like students at both schools seemed very happy. Rochester's total cost of attendance is about 13K cheaper a year but what is pushing me away from this school is the class lecture emphasis (lectures are not recorded and I hear typically run from 9-5 every day including PBL). Case on the other hand has class that usually ends around noon each day and are off on Thursdays which allows a lot of free study time. I also feel like Case, being in a bigger city, will allow for more experience and diversity. Case also has the nationally known Cleveland Clinic which may or may not allow for a more competitive edge by the time residency applications come around? Do medical students even get experience at the Cleveland Clinic? Case also has research integrated into the curriculum and I was wondering if you guys thought that also may look favorably when applying for residency? Is this worth the extra 13K a year?

Does anybody know the school's academic focus? Is it Research, specialty medicine, primary care?

Which school typically offers a better financial aid package? More Scholarships?

Also which city/campus is more fun/more to do?!

About me: 23yo, Mexican/American, First Generation, Lived in Denver, Colorado my whole life, passion for serving the underserved, I do not believe I am going into primary care also in college I learned best from self study so IDK if this will be the same for med school?

Lastly, being first generation I am learning a lot as I go so if you feel like I should be looking for other things when choosing which medical school any comments/tips/advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks Everyone! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone!

So I am having a really hard time trying to decide between Rochester and Case. I had a great time during both of my interviews and I feel like students at both schools seemed very happy. Rochester's total cost of attendance is about 13K cheaper a year but what is pushing me away from this school is the class lecture emphasis (lectures are not recorded and I hear typically run from 9-5 every day including PBL). Case on the other hand has class that usually ends around noon each day and are off on Thursdays which allows a lot of free study time. I also feel like Case, being in a bigger city, will allow for more experience and diversity. Case also has the nationally known Cleveland Clinic which may or may not allow for a more competitive edge by the time residency applications come around? Do medical students even get experience at the Cleveland Clinic? Case also has research integrated into the curriculum and I was wondering if you guys thought that also may look favorably when applying for residency? Is this worth the extra 13K a year?

Does anybody know the school's academic focus? Is it Research, specialty medicine, primary care?

Which school typically offers a better financial aid package? More Scholarships?

Also which city/campus is more fun/more to do?!

About me: 23yo, Mexican/American, First Generation, Lived in Denver, Colorado my whole life, passion for serving the underserved, I do not believe I am going into primary care also in college I learned best from self study so IDK if this will be the same for med school?

Lastly, being first generation I am learning a lot as I go so if you feel like I should be looking for other things when choosing which medical school any comments/tips/advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks Everyone! :)

I would pay 13k more per year to have to spend 25+ hours less in lecture a week and to have them recorded... not to mention all of the other perks of Case.

Reactions: 1 user
I would pay 13k more per year to have to spend 25+ hours less in lecture a week and to have them recorded... not to mention all of the other perks of Case.
Lectures at Case are not recorded unfortunately

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer some of your questions:

You can do your rotations at University Hospital, Cleveland Clinic, Metro, and (I believe) the VA.

Cleveland is not that great, but much better than Rochester imo, which is pretty small and isolated.

It's my understanding (from reading past threads) that Case does not offer good financial aid. Can't comment on Rochester.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using SDN mobile

I vote Case. People rag on Cleveland but Cleveland>>Rochester, plus you're not too far from Columbus or Pittsburgh (two of the most underrated cities in the country). Case has better opportunities for research, clinical care, and serving underserved urban populations. Yes, CW students get clinical experience in the Cleveland clinic. I honestly don't see any single area where Rochester beats Case Western.

I have to say I am slightly biased because two of the best physicians I know went to Case, so they represent the school well to me personally even though that probably has much more to do with their intrinsic character. But the point remains strong: CASE WESTERN, NO QUESTERN