University of Rochester vs University of Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

socrknite4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to be accepted to these two excellent programs, my only problem now is deciding between the two. Rankings are pretty similar. I’m thinking costs should be pretty close Average indebtedness is actually lower at Rochester b/c the cost of living is so much less. Both places have a lot of really interesting research going on. I know it’s likely to change but at this point I’m interested in orthopedics or anesthesia.

Rochester pros:
Strong international programs
Awesome innovative curriculum
Pass/fail
Largest hospital in a large area
Maybe more aid money
Interesting academic tracks
Cons:
Long days in classes
Weather

Maryland pros:
Short class days
Away rotations at Hopkins
Block schedule
Girlfriend is here
Cons:
ABCDF grading
Overshadowed by Hopkins?
Harder to get funding for international trips

Any other thoughts or anything else you guys think I should consider? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Maryland pros:
Short class days
Away rotations at Hopkins
Block schedule
Girlfriend is here
Cons:
ABCDF grading
Overshadowed by Hopkins?
Harder to get funding for international trips

Any other thoughts or anything else you guys think I should consider? Thanks in advance!

I can help u address ure maryland cons

1. the grade issue has been beaten to death in the maryland school thread. it's really not an issue that you'll think about when your in school, and seems like a possibly misguided way to choose what school you'll attend

2. sure hopkins is in bmore too, but whatever. you'll be in school, theyre in school, theres no overshaddowing, we're at opposite ends of the city. maybe if your worried about this conversation ive been in 20 times: "i go to med school in baltimore", "oh yeah? hopkins?", "no, maryland." honestly, not worth sweating. we're not competing for patients. maryland is a huge tertiary care center, and we see tons of good patients, Im never worried that i wont see such and such a case (cept burn patients, hopkins does take them) cause they all go to jhu.

3. you should contact the school about the international funding. it's there! we had 3 or 4 kids go to africa btw ms1 and 2, and im sure tons others that didnt do big presentations on it. the admins can prob get you in contact with some folks who did what you might be interested in. if you look for it, you can get funding for almost anything
(and a mini 4: u can do away rotations almost anywhere, if youre in baltimore its obviously convenient to do one at hopkins, but being in ny wont keep you from doing an away rotation down here)

Members don't see this ad :)
I can help u address ure maryland cons

1. the grade issue has been beaten to death in the maryland school thread. it's really not an issue that you'll think about when your in school, and seems like a possibly misguided way to choose what school you'll attend

2. sure hopkins is in bmore too, but whatever. you'll be in school, theyre in school, theres no overshaddowing, we're at opposite ends of the city. maybe if your worried about this conversation ive been in 20 times: "i go to med school in baltimore", "oh yeah? hopkins?", "no, maryland." honestly, not worth sweating. we're not competing for patients. maryland is a huge tertiary care center, and we see tons of good patients, Im never worried that i wont see such and such a case (cept burn patients, hopkins does take them) cause they all go to jhu.

3. you should contact the school about the international funding. it's there! we had 3 or 4 kids go to africa btw ms1 and 2, and im sure tons others that didnt do big presentations on it. the admins can prob get you in contact with some folks who did what you might be interested in. if you look for it, you can get funding for almost anything
(and a mini 4: u can do away rotations almost anywhere, if youre in baltimore its obviously convenient to do one at hopkins, but being in ny wont keep you from doing an away rotation down here)

That is insane. Pass/fail is critical!! Life-altering. You will think about it every minute of every day if you have grades. (I am third year in another pass/fail school.)

So it's down to the girlfriend or pass/fail. Unless she is "the one" I'd go with Rochester!

That is insane. Pass/fail is critical!! Life-altering. You will think about it every minute of every day if you have grades. (I am third year in another pass/fail school.)

So it's down to the girlfriend or pass/fail. Unless she is "the one" I'd go with Rochester!

to be fair, not being at a school with grades, you probably wouldnt know how much we think about it.

agreed though. girlfriend is a big part of it

Thanks for the replies guys. Anyone from Rochester care to chime in?

Status
Not open for further replies.