University of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steel_City

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm interviewing at the University of Rochester and I was wondering if anyone had some experience with the program. I'm looking foward to the visit because it seems like a very strong program from what I've read on Scutwork. Not much info about it on the forums though.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am an MS4 at Rochester. Can't say enough about the program. I would be staying if I had not grown up in the area. Outstanding program in an "eh" area. Let me know if you have specific questions.

E

Steel_City said:
Hey all.

I'm interviewing at the University of Rochester and I was wondering if anyone had some experience with the program. I'm looking foward to the visit because it seems like a very strong program from what I've read on Scutwork. Not much info about it on the forums though.

Thanks.

I did an elective there in 2002 - few years ago - and it was a superb program. Ended up being my 2nd choice - behind Dartmouth - but that was a tough decision to make. Of course, my info is old as I have no idea how things have changed/improved/declined there. But, I seriously doubt that the people that were there then could not have allowed it to decay & more than likely improve.

Members don't see this ad :)
My only experience was an interview back in 2002 but I was impressed. I had contact with Dr. Lustik via email on several occasions after the interview and it was my #2 rank, just behind Mayo Jax. My wife was not impressed with the Rochester area (come on, it was winter time!) and that played a major factor in the choice to stay in FL. I really got the feeling that they care about residents and were a big family there. Would have been happy to go there and may look that way for fellowship/jobs.

Cheers,
PMMD

Steel_City said:
Hey all.

Thanks.
they have a really nice program! no call either...they have a night float system...I really like the area too...you can get out of the city (I'm not a city person) and be in a more "country" setting in no time...the cost of living is great too.
check out: www.urag.net

I am currently at this program. PGY-1. The program is strong in all aspects. Off-pump cabg, tons and tons of transplants (heart, liver, kidney, small bowel... you name it, we do alot of them), great OB, regional etc, plenty of trauma (MVC and GSW daily).
Residents work about 60 hours a week. Night float, moonlighting, good CBY in the four year program. Word has it that they may turn the CBY into a truly intergrated program where you do 6 months of anesthesia during your intern year (much like the penn state program).
This place has a strong clinical load and residents consistantly get the jobs they want in the location they want. All CA-3's already have jobs (some had them as early as august of last year. Some of them got great jobs in the Rockies! (Utah)
I like rochester. Bristol mountain is 30 minutes away and I've managed to put in 14 days thus far this year- season pass has almost payed for itself. Great cost of living (a friend just bought a condo 4 miles from the hospital. Payed $ 81,000 and was built in the '90s. Good school districts. :clap:

Can people who have knowledge about the program tell me there thoughts? Do they train well residents? What is the schedule like? Do residents fair well after residency? Thanks

Last edited: