University of Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedAlbatross

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody here who was/is attending the University of Rochester for undergrad care to give some advice to a class of 2017 student? I hope to attend a top 10 medical school (preferably UPenn) and was just looking for general advice/tips. I was also wondering how competitive/cut throat pre-med students at the U of R are.

*I was accepted this year, but I have to return to Israel for military service.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
how old are you man.....advice for getting into upenn med from rochester.... get a 4.0, take all upper level biosci offered, get a 40 MCAT, volunteer in a hosptial for 500-1000hrs, do research during the year and summer. shadow physicians whenever possible. make time to do some amazingly unique EC's to talk about in your personal statement/essays/interviews that sets you apart.

oh and cross your fingers cause everyone else applying will have the same things going for them

I went to UR. Send me a private message if you have further questions.

Pre-meds at UR are not particularly competitive. No one is going to sabotage your experiments in chem lab. Many people in my science classes studied in groups and helped each other. Many of the profs enjoy getting to know students and helping them on an individual level, and there are some who do not. It is a great school for getting involved with research very early. The med school and Strong Memorial are across the street, and there are research opportunities there too.

It is a challenging school for basic sciences. Nevertheless, you will NOT get much recognition for going to UR. I thought it was more well-known than it is. If you apply to Top 10 schools, you're going to be competing with many ivy-league students. You must have a very high GPA and MCAT. Start studying faithfully from day 1 and develop a habit of being over-prepared.

I don't know if money is an issue for you, but sometimes I wish I would have gone to my state school for this reason. I could have "spent my debt" on med school instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody here who was/is attending the University of Rochester for undergrad care to give some advice to a class of 2016* student? I hope to attend a top 10 medical school (preferably UPenn) and was just looking for general advice/tips. I was also wondering how competitive/cut throat pre-med students at the U of R are.

*I was accepted this year, but I have to return to my native country for mandatory military service.

:smack:

Go back to hSDN, please.

Oh, give the guy a break people. He just wants a heads-up specific to UR.

Thanks...I'm 17 right now, sorry I'm new to the site and wasn't completely sure where to post this. Thanks for the advice though.

Last edited:
Thanks...I'm 17 right now, sorry I'm new to the site and wasn't completely sure where to post this. Thanks for the advice though.

its fine, check out the hSDN forum. I didn't mean to discourage you but getting in to UPenn is a long shot for 99% of us. If you do what I suggested you just may prove the odds wrong. You are aways away, but remember to apply relatively broadly. Med school is not like undergrad... you will be applying against the best/smartest students in undergrad for a significantly fewer number of spots.

its fine, check out the hSDN forum. I didn't mean to discourage you but getting in to UPenn is a long shot for 99% of us. If you do what I suggested you just may prove the odds wrong. You are aways away, but remember to apply relatively broadly. Med school is not like undergrad... you will be applying against the best/smartest students in undergrad for a significantly fewer number of spots.

+1000

Sorry OP, I may have come across as a little harsh but we all get tired of hearing about "I plan to attend Top 10 med school" from premeds, let alone high schoolers. It's a great goal to shoot for, but don't count on it.

Sorry, I had no idea. I'll try to keep that in mind.

Last edited:
Sorry, I had no idea. I'll try to keep that in mind.

Don't worry about it.

And good luck with your journey, just remember to have fun in college and that learning extends beyond the classroom. You get into any medical school from any college if you do the work and have the right stuff.

My cousin went to uni of rochester for pre med. He was really smart in high school and got a near perfect score on SAT, yet still he said that some of the basic science courses at rochester were extremely hard. After going to medical school in chicago he decided that md wasn't suited for him and got his jd!

My cousin went to uni of rochester for pre med. He was really smart in high school and got a near perfect score on SAT, yet still he said that some of the basic science courses at rochester were extremely hard. After going to medical school in chicago he decided that md wasn't suited for him and got his jd!

not sure how this is relevant to the OP.... either way, talk about debt!

I find that CollegeConfidential is a better place to talk about individual undergraduate schools because they have a subforum dedicated to each college (Medical schools is a different story, it's SDN hands down of course). Here's their UR subforum if you haven't taken a look, and there may be at least a UR premed or two there that can give you specific advice:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-rochester/