University of San Francisco vs. University of St. Thomas (MN)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OkiDoki

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've recently been awarded the Army ROTC scholarship to several schools. I'm only looking at University of San Francisco and University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, Minnesota, both of which have offered me full rides + room & board. At first, I was all set on going to UST, but after my mom freaked out at the thought of me being all by myself with no friends or family in MN, I slowly changed my preference to USF. I also switched from wanting to be a nurse anesthetist to an anesthesiologist, so I requested the appropriate changes to my major for each school.

The thing is, because the counselor I was assigned to at USF didn't change my major from Nursing to Biology for whatever reason (even after I requested it and he said he would a month ago :mad:), I was rejected. I'm no valedictorian with my 3.6 GPA, and I understand their Nursing program is top notch, but I was PO'd when the head of the ROTC department passed along a message from the admissions director saying my GPA would have been highly competitive for their Biology program. Gee, glad to hear it!

I have until May 22nd to decide whether I accept UST's ROTC scholarship or not. The question is, should I go ahead with UST, or should I wait and reapply for Spring admission for USF? The ROTC department is offering to hold on to my scholarship and activate it if I decide to attend in the Spring.
I couldn't find anything showing the average high school GPA of a declared Biology major student at USF, so I'm taking a bit of a chance here. I'll have to send in my final transcript, so my GPA will be a bit higher once the Senior grades are calculated in.

Anyone here know what the pre-med/Biology programs are like at either USF or UST? Difficulty level of courses, pre-med advisors, opportunities for volunteer work, etc? I could only find one post here about UST, and it was about how ridiculously easy some of their courses were. He wasn't talking about the Biology department though, so I took it with a grain of salt.

If only my major was changed to Bio...we'd be setting up a flight to SF by now...grrrrr...

By the way, I live on Okinawa, Japan, hence the reason for my mom's paranoia at me being stuck all alone in the Midwest. Asian mothers. :p

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you more about USF from personal experience. PM me.

Thanks for all the info! USF sounds like a great school. Still no info on St. Thomas, though. Is it that obscure of a school? :confused: