University of San Fransisco PsyD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orion.x

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything about the USF PsyD program? I know it's on contingency and they're trying to get fully APA accredited. I am waiting to hear before applying but I don't think that information will be available before the next cycle. I spoke to a current student who has been raving about the program but it is so expensive and not accredited yet... Unsure if it's worth applying to or not.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
50k/per year for just tuition? In a very high CoL area? Someone finishing this program would have a significantly higher debt load than my spouse did after finishing med school. At a salary potential that is far lower. This could be the best clinical psych program in the world and that debt load makes it a hard pass.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard anything about the USF PsyD program? I know it's on contingency and they're trying to get fully APA accredited. I am waiting to hear before applying but I don't think that information will be available before the next cycle. I spoke to a current student who has been raving about the program but it is so expensive and not accredited yet... Unsure if it's worth applying to or not.

It probably is not. You have stated the reasons in your post. It is expensive and not yet accredited. There are cheaper accredited programs to apply to, so why consider it? It certainly won't have the established reputation or connections of other programs? Student is raving about it, what experience is the student using as a basis of comparison?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On the plus side, I did undergrad there! Relive my life and walk in my footsteps, only not, because I didn't go to grad school there.

Reactions: 2 users
I know some people who have done master's level clinical education at USF and I think those programs are decent, if not quite good so I imagine this program will also be fine and go through accredidation without problem. And it's almost certainly better than other Bay Area options like Wright and Alliant (and definitely the now closed JFK).

But tuition + CoL makes this an easy pass unless you have family wealth to burn and also really want/need to stay in this area. From my limited sample size, those who went to USF for a master's level grad degree also came from families with money and likely had their education somewhat or fully paid for.

As to a current student raving about the experience, it probably is an amazing experience for them. But as Sanman noted, they likely have zero other frames of reference for grad study and their life circumstances (e.g., trust fund to pay 100% tuition and a nice Mission District loft) might contribute heavily to this perception.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks, I am done with the applications and didn't end up applying. Fingers crossed and we'll see what happens.

Reactions: 1 users