University of South Florida College of Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm actually quite unimpressed with the Admissions Committee. I have experienced not just one, but two different experiences. It's sad when an Admission Committee fails to acknowledge that everything on your application is actually correct and requires our time and effort to correct their mistakes. Imagine if all pharmacy schools did that, how much time it would require on our part.

And what kind of Pharmacy School automatically goes to voicemail?

Anybody else have similar experiences?

I heard that USF's other professional schools are pretty good so if that's the case, then I can understand that as a very new pharmacy school, USF COP would want to bring in the highest quality students who apply there. Possible paranoia of making sure the students are fully ready to tackle a pharmacy school curriculum could definitely be a reason why that you're going through this experience. I'm not trying to say that USF adcoms are lunatics or anything; I feel that they're trying to test the waters and eventually, over time, get up to speed as their medical school which has been around for over 40 years and apparently has a great medical program.

It's definitely an inconvenience when a school questions the validity of your application despite it being correct; I think I'm going to go through some troubles since a couple of my pre-req classes aren't considered to be completed even though I took the said classes a year or two ago. Besides, stuff like this is trivial when you compare it to what you'll experience in retail pharmacy haha.

Lastly, bringing up the fact that you might bar out a pharmacy school just because of a couple bad experiences with the adcoms and a single student is probably something best left untold. A lot of people might be reading these comments and it would suck for an argument to erupt and drive people away from here. I'm not here to attack you; I'm just saying that I'm sure you handled this situation in as mature of a way as possible and you are merely just frustrated with how things are going.

Don't let it screw with your head too much. You did a lot to get yourself into a position for potential pharmacy school matriculation; it would suck to deny yourself that chance if you do get accepted here.

Take it easy, friend.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard that USF's other professional schools are pretty good so if that's the case, then I can understand that as a very new pharmacy school, USF COP would want to bring in the highest quality students who apply there. Possible paranoia of making sure the students are fully ready to tackle a pharmacy school curriculum could definitely be a reason why that you're going through this experience. I'm not trying to say that USF adcoms are lunatics or anything; I feel that they're trying to test the waters and eventually, over time, get up to speed as their medical school which has been around for over 40 years and apparently has a great medical program.

It's definitely an inconvenience when a school questions the validity of your application despite it being correct; I think I'm going to go through some troubles since a couple of my pre-req classes aren't considered to be completed even though I took the said classes a year or two ago. Besides, stuff like this is trivial when you compare it to what you'll experience in retail pharmacy haha.

Lastly, bringing up the fact that you might bar out a pharmacy school just because of a couple bad experiences with the adcoms and a single student is probably something best left untold. A lot of people might be reading these comments and it would suck for an argument to erupt and drive people away from here. I'm not here to attack you; I'm just saying that I'm sure you handled this situation in as mature of a way as possible and you are merely just frustrated with how things are going.

Don't let it screw with your head too much. You did a lot to get yourself into a position for potential pharmacy school matriculation; it would suck to deny yourself that chance if you do get accepted here.

Take it easy, friend.

Hey Travis, I hope my previous messages with you helped :thumbup:. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else throughout the interview process.

You mentioned USF Health- which is the health science center at USF. We share space with Nursing, Medicine, and the other health related disciplines. We also have quite a bit of interaction with the other disciplines in terms of interprofessional education. Also, being at USF, we have access to all of the amenities that the main Tampa campus offers (including the rec center, study areas, library, intramurals, etc)

Good luck everyone, interviews start this week!

I think you may be over-reacting. It's understandable that you may have had some difficulty with your application process for USF; however, I'm sure you're not the only applicant that has had issues. Like nomad339 stated, USF has a new program. I'm sure that even the best pharmacy schools in the country make mistakes during the process with the amount of students who apply each year. I believe that USF Ambassador may have been referring to Nomad339's response to your post regarding the pre-requisite coursework. If you're having trouble contacting the main office, which I have before, the advisors are usually available to assist me unless they are on vacation (usually just on the holidays though). You can find their information (emails and numbers) on the USF website. http://health.usf.edu/pharmacy/Faculty_and_Staff.htm#apply
http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/487
I hope that these issues that you've had don't repel you from the school. It's a great campus and the program is going to offer so much. I'm starting in August and I hope to see you there too!
-Danielle Gagne

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you may be over-reacting. It's understandable that you may have had some difficulty with your application process for USF; however, I'm sure you're not the only applicant that has had issues. Like nomad339 stated, USF has a new program. I'm sure that even the best pharmacy schools in the country make mistakes during the process with the amount of students who apply each year. I believe that USF Ambassador may have been referring to Nomad339's response to your post regarding the pre-requisite coursework. If you're having trouble contacting the main office, which I have before, the advisors are usually available to assist me unless they are on vacation (usually just on the holidays though). You can find their information (emails and numbers) on the USF website. http://health.usf.edu/pharmacy/Faculty_and_Staff.htm#apply
http://schoolpages.pharmcas.org/publishedsurvey/487
I hope that these issues that you've had don't repel you from the school. It's a great campus and the program is going to offer so much. I'm starting in August and I hope to see you there too!
-Danielle Gagne

Congrats USFMICRO! You must have been in the early decision group this year. Let me know if you ever have any questions about matriculation, or the program.

Thank you! I'm very excited to begin and get to know my classmates and the faculty. Any general advice would be more than welcome! I'd really like to become involved in various student organizations and functions.

Thank you! I'm very excited to begin and get to know my classmates and the faculty. Any general advice would be more than welcome! I'd really like to become involved in various student organizations and functions.

That's good to hear! At USF we have several professional student organizations: APhA-ASP, Student Government, SNAPhA, and two other organizations are currently working to become chartered- AMCP & AASP. I know...the acronyms go on forever :). Also, USF Health has interprofessional organizations and opportunities for leadership in that way. The activities for the next class probably wont begin until around summer (correct me if you have heard otherwise), where the school will hold socials, and meet and greet type activities.

Best advice: Enjoy whatever you are doing now before school starts in August! :)

If anyone else has any other questions, I would be happy to answer them.

interviews started! how did it go?? good luck!!!

I have an interview on 2/19. Should I be worried about MMI style interviews? I'm kind of used to individual ones, but not sure about MMI! :oops:

I'm an early decision applicant and I'll be starting in August and I'm very excited! I can't wait to meet the C/O 2017! Good luck to those who have interviews. The MMI format was amazing and everyone on the staff was extremely welcoming. I personally loved the MMI format because I was with one person at a time, rather than a group of staff members all judging me at once. It was very comfortable and the great part is that you have the opportunity to redeem yourself if you feel you didn't answer a particular question the best you could.

Best of luck and GO BULLS!!!

:soexcited:

Thanks for the article, USF Ambassador! I can't wait for mine later this month.

My interview is the last date in January. Any advice on the interviews/ what kinds of questions they ask? thanks!

I hope to see some of you on Wednesday!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 2/1. They said they were going to call with decisions today, 2/12. However I just got an email saying that "due to unforseen circumstances" they are postponing decisions until Monday the 18th. Anyone else who interviewed on 2/1 get an acceptance call yet or receive the same email?

I interviewed 2/6 and they informed us that we would know on the 18th. The email confirmed what they said to our group, but they must have told the prior groups the 12th.

I have an interview on 2/19. Should I be worried about MMI style interviews? I'm kind of used to individual ones, but not sure about MMI! :oops:
MM? sorry if im not fullfilled about this term. also i will have interview on this coming up 02/19....anyone?

MM? sorry if im not fullfilled about this term. also i will have interview on this coming up 02/19....anyone?

Multiple Mini Interview. You interview in short sessions with multiple interviewers.

has anyone heard back from USF? they said the would be calling everyone today and i havent received anything :(

Got a call this morning from the dean, I'm accepted! I'm so so so excited!

when did you guys receive the call?

Has anyone received a rejection email yet? I think they said acceptances would be done via phone, rejections by email. I've gotten neither. Anyone?

Has anyone received a rejection email yet? I think they said acceptances would be done via phone, rejections by email. I've gotten neither. Anyone?

no, did not get a notice of any kind. :confused:
i'm hoping for a phone call tomorrow though. :xf:
hope for the best, prepare for the worst! :cool:

I got the call yesterday around 6:00. Yesterday was decision day for thier "first pool" of accepted students, and there are three more decision days, one in March and two in April. Good luck to everyone.

Good to know. I am glad I won't have to keep waiting with bated breath in February.

If you get a call is that an indication that they you were accepted? Would they call to tell you that you were denied or wait listed? I'm wondering, because someone from admissions called me on Monday night, but I missed the call. I have been waiting for the email that they said was being sent, but I haven't received anything. Has anyone else received an email of any kind?

If you get a call is that an indication that they you were accepted? Would they call to tell you that you were denied or wait listed? I'm wondering, because someone from admissions called me on Monday night, but I missed the call. I have been waiting for the email that they said was being sent, but I haven't received anything. Has anyone else received an email of any kind?
I got a call saying I was accepted, but no email. I think you were accepted!

Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm crossing my fingers that is why they called. I tried to contact them today, but unfortunately most of the staff have been conducting interviews all day, and I was told they wouldn't be able to return my call until tomorrow. I really hope I wouldn't get a call of rejection, that would suck (for lack of a better word).

Congrats to all who were accepted! For those still in the process, remember the powerpoint presentation stated it would be the week of 02/18/2013. That being said, take a breather and be patient because the week isn't over yet! Don't give up if you know you did your best and provided the essential qualities to have consideration for a seat in the class of 2017!

I, myself, received a phone call Monday morning and I would like to know the time table for the welcome packet to arrive via mail. Should I expect it to arrive anytime soon this week or early next week? Its been a very stressful 2-3 months and I'd love to have all the stuff out of the way so that I can really say I'm in and ready to be a Bull this August!

I just interviewed on 2/19 and I have to say it this is a refreshing program! The Dean, Dr. Sneed, made it sound like they've got this program headed in the right direction and there are good things to come!

The MMI interview was very painless and I don't know if they rotate those faculty members out or not, but it takes a lot to have 5 interviewers stay in those rooms the whole day! You get to see the question for each room before entering and do your 5-min interview with each faculty member. The one BAD thing about the MMI style is that neither you or the interviewer can get to know each other in-depth. I felt like I was rambling my mouth as fast as I could to get everything I wanted to say before time was called. This gave my interviewers little or no time to respond or ask follow-up questions.

I just interviewed on 2/19 and I have to say it this is a refreshing program! The Dean, Dr. Sneed, made it sound like they've got this program headed in the right direction and there are good things to come!

The MMI interview was very painless and I don't know if they rotate those faculty members out or not, but it takes a lot to have 5 interviewers stay in those rooms the whole day! You get to see the question for each room before entering and do your 5-min interview with each faculty member. The one BAD thing about the MMI style is that neither you or the interviewer can get to know each other in-depth. I felt like I was rambling my mouth as fast as I could to get everything I wanted to say before time was called. This gave my interviewers little or no time to respond or ask follow-up questions.

I definitely agree with you! This program seems like it will become a model for others in the years to come. I like how Dr. Sneed made himself available and actually spoke to us during the interview.

Congrats to the 1st batch of acceptances! I am anxiously waiting for the phone call...

Congratulations on your acceptance! I'm crossing my fingers that is why they called. I tried to contact them today, but unfortunately most of the staff have been conducting interviews all day, and I was told they wouldn't be able to return my call until tomorrow. I really hope I wouldn't get a call of rejection, that would suck (for lack of a better word).

I'm in the same boat as you! I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Have you found out if you were accepted yet?

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat as you! I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Have you found out if you were accepted yet?
No I haven't heard anything yet. I wish whoever called would have left a voicemail letting me know if I was accepted....the wait is nerve-racking.

Congrats to the first batch of acceptances for 2017!! If you all have any questions in the interim about matriculation, or USFCOP I would be happy to answer here or through PM.

GO BULLS!

Has anyone received a call and was notified they were waitlisted or rejected? I received a call today, but the voicemail did not make it clear what my status was. They just said they would call me back later this week.

Do you think I have been accepted?

EDIT: I wish I was able to pick up the phone :/ All my questions would have been answered. No worries. I will wait patiently...

Last edited:
Tuesday interview is coming just around the corner. I know I've asked this before previously, but anybody got the same date as me or am I flying solo without any fellow SDNers? I'm totally ready for the interview and excited on the possibility of meeting one or two of you.

AH! waitlisted :(
Congrats and Good Luck to everyone else :)

Interview went well. I really liked how different it was compared to your traditional interview. If any of you were there, I was that California guy haha!

Though I am a bit thrown off at when I should be expecting an acceptance/waitlist/rejection notice. People here have already been notified of being accepted/waitlisted, but from what I got at the interview, they said that they would be doing a mass-acceptance/waitlist/rejection phone call and email sometime after April 5th. I'm pretty sure that I zoned out for a few seconds during that time, but nonetheless, I'm super confused.

When I interviewed on February 13th, I received the same vibe from admissions. I am confused as well, but that is really late notification. I am not sure I would be able to wait that long.

My interview is next Friday on the 15th...Can anyone give me some advice on this different style of interview? I've been over the interview packet and I can see that we have to log into these clinical rooms...is there just one person in there interviewing us or several? Also, if you remember any questions that they asked they would be greatly appreciated :) I'm interviewing at LECOM on thursday, so I'm hoping it will be a good warm-up for USF!

My interview is next Friday on the 15th...Can anyone give me some advice on this different style of interview? I've been over the interview packet and I can see that we have to log into these clinical rooms...is there just one person in there interviewing us or several? Also, if you remember any questions that they asked they would be greatly appreciated :) I'm interviewing at LECOM on thursday, so I'm hoping it will be a good warm-up for USF!

MMI is where you are with a single interviewer in the clinical room. You will then leave that room and log into another computer, then go into another clinical room with a completely different interviewer.

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to disclose any interview questions so we can't really help you there. Sorry. :(

EDIT - Well actually, if this helps you, I did not expect the cliched questions like "why pharmacy" or "what are your biggest strengths/weaknesses." My questions were different and they tested my ability to think on the spot.

You actually have about a minute to see the question right before you walk into the room with a faculty member. Each session will last about 5 minutes and you move onto the next one. It is really fast-paced, so make sure you know you want to say your response right before you walk in.

I agree with the above poster that I was actually expecting the usual questions like "why pharmacy?", "why USF?" However, I didn't see any of those and most of the questions were either situational or ethical. Good luck!

P.S., I'm also interviewing LECOM this Thursday and it's probably my last interview (*relief*). I'll see you there.

They also give you paper in case you want to write down some notes in the 1-2 minutes you have with your question. I did not use the paper, but some people did. Yeah, I too was definitely expecting "Why pharmacy" and "Why USF?" They did not use standard questions. It is rather intense, but it goes by really fast. Speak with ease. Do not rush. If you finish early, then stop. Do not try to fill the 5 minutes, because then you will just start repeating yourself and thats not good. If you do end early, expect follow up questions.

Good luck! :thumbup: