University of South Florida USF Masters in Medical Science MSMS 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seminoles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just received my acceptance today. YAY!

I am wondering how much different this program will be compared to the previous years' because apparently there are no more IMS, Mol. Medicine, Anatomy, etc. tracks to take (just the medical track for pre-med students, and bioinformatics, bioethics, and biotechnology tracks for researchers). I know that they added Case Studies and Health Sciences Ethics to the curriculum, but are there any other significant changes?

Second, how many students are accepted per year?

Third, will our classes be taught alongside the USF medical students, taught by the USF Medical School professors, or neither?

Finally, could someone who has been a part of the program weigh in on their experiences and/or offer any tips to the newcomers?

Much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
There will still be an IMS program that takes classes along side the medical students (for 2011-2012 at least). The Medical Science Masters students take classes within the college of medicine, but they are not medical school classes. IMS runs June through May and the MSMS program runs August through August. IMS is a true SMP program while the MSMS program is a one year masters program. Good luck!!

I'm doing the Mol. Med. masters now. From what I have been able to gather, it appears that the new masters program will be a blend of the old Anatomy masters program, Mol Med program and a little bit of the IMS program. It looks to be a pretty solid track. Almost makes me wish I hadn't gone this year. Almost.

Hey everyone, I'm really looking forward to attending USF, even if their programs aren't strictly SMPs. I have a few friends at different Med schools who did Molecular Med and Anatomy, and they said the AdComs looked very favorably on it.
I got accepted to the Pre-professional Med sciences track, anyone have any knowledge on it? I know it isn't IMS, but seeing as IMS is falling out of favor with the MD program, I was hesitant to go that route.

Last edited:
bump... anybody else looking into/accepted to usf?

I received an email last Monday (3/7) that my app was under review. Haven't heard back as of yet ::fingers crossed::

How are applicants being notified?

Any insight on the class schedule for Fall as of yet? When I met with admissions I was told it had not yet been set.

Just received my acceptance today. YAY!

Second, how many students are accepted per year?

Much appreciated!

The admissions officer told me that about 200 applicants are accepted out of about 800.

The bad thing, IMO, is that all the courses are lecture style with all 200 or so students together. I was told that weekly recitations are offered for more one-on-one and that all lectures are recorded, so that's nice.

They are also trying to coordinate an MCAT prep with Princeton Review to be an optional part of the curriculum.

Hey Peanut,
What track are you talking about? Because all of them take different courses, and I was told 200 are accepted all together. Based on the schedules from previous semesters, it looks like the courses have about 40-50 students each, so I don't think all 200 are packed in a single classroom.

I met with the admissions officer several weeks ago - she told me that 200 are accepted into the pre-medical track. When I asked about class schedules, size, etc she told me that everyone has the same schedule and takes the same courses at the same time. All courses are lecture style with all 200 at once.

I'm looking into transferring into this program from a master's program that I have already started. I made sure that I found out as much detail about the program to be sure is a good move.

Best of luck! If you get in ill be one of those 200 classmates then.
Regardless I'm stoked about this program. Let me know how things turn out, seeing as 99% of everyone on here is hung up on GT/Harvard/etc. I'd rather walk away with a Masters degree than a certificate anyway.

I was actually admitted to the program a couple weeks ago. Well, I was notified by the admissions coordinator Katie via email but I have been in phone contact with her. She informed me that the faculty approved my application and that it just needed to go through the admissions office as a formality and should only take 2 or 3 weeks. My stats are GPA:3.2 MCAT:25 with heavy EC. Looking forward to anyone else attending!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone have any specific stats of students graduating from this program that were accepted to allopathic schools?

Best of luck! If you get in ill be one of those 200 classmates then.
Regardless I'm stoked about this program. Let me know how things turn out, seeing as 99% of everyone on here is hung up on GT/Harvard/etc. I'd rather walk away with a Masters degree than a certificate anyway.

Absolutely! I think USF seems to have a very well-rounded program with regards to setting you up to apply to med, but still achieving a master's.

How long did it take between submitting your app and hearing back? How were you notified?

I applied really early, like last November, and got an Email saying I was accepted in February. They didn't start looking at apps until early february though, so I think the turnaround is probably going to be about 1-2 weeks to hear back. as it gets closer to may though, it may take longer since more people apply in april/may/june, especially when the med school letters come out.

when does this program start?

if any of you want a place to stay for the summer (from May-Aug), you can contact me at 608 738 8867. I live literally 3mins away from campus and my building is just two years old (brand new). It is a 3BR/3BA apartment, furnished and each room has an individual lease. The lease is not combined. The rent is 580 (all utilities are paid for). It is a great deal for living that close, furnished and all utilities paid. I can prorate it if you want.

You can check this place out at: http://www.LiveTheProvince.com/

I just emailed Ms. Carson to decline my acceptance, so there should be a spot opened now. I'm a Florida resident, but they had me as out of state.

I just emailed Ms. Carson to decline my acceptance, so there should be a spot opened now. I'm a Florida resident, but they had me as out of state.

If you don't mind my asking - why are you declining? Another program?

Yeah, I applied broadly just in case I only got into 1 school, however I know now that I would not go to USF. It's not because the program isn't great, its because of location and trying to stay in a certain region and close to my family. This program sounds great and I would have proudly gone there.

I got my acceptance this week. I like USF because it's local, though I did apply to a few other "credential-boosting" programs. In terms of tuition, though, I'd almost be crazy to go anywhere else.

Hey everyone, I was accepted into the program last week :smuggrin: Does anyone know the "Stats" on how successful the program is in terms of medical school acceptance? I understand you have to do well, but when I asked Katie ( admissions officer) the % getting into med. she didn't have a concrete answer. Just said that since there are 200 kids, its hard for her to keep track of all of them , but she said the program was "very successful". hmmm. I also read some where that if you do well, there is a good shot at USF medical. Anyone have any thoughts?? thanks

Hello everyone, does anyone know of a good (and inexpensive) place to live near usf?... or is anyone looking for a roommate near campus? I plan on moving there on may 9th and staying until my msms program is done.. message me if you're interested or know anyone who might be..

i am a male age 23, plan on studying the entire time, quiet, and clean

Hello everyone, does anyone know of a good (and inexpensive) place to live near usf?... or is anyone looking for a roommate near campus? I plan on moving there on may 9th and staying until my msms program is done.. message me if you're interested or know anyone who might be..

i am a male age 23, plan on studying the entire time, quiet, and clean

Atlantic, I'll be there in August when the program starts. Do you have a place already?

Hey has anyone been accepted to the IMS program? I got the email on the 15th!

Does anyone know how the IMS program is going to run? I read somewhere on SDN that the 20 IMS students would take classes with the medical students like a true SMP program but I don't see that anywhere on the USF website.

Also, anyone know of anyone who has been through the program? I want to take my MCAT this summer and want to get an idea of how busy Im going to be/ how hard it is to succeed in the program.

Any feedback at all would be really helpful!

Does anyone know how the IMS program is going to run? I read somewhere on SDN that the 20 IMS students would take classes with the medical students like a true SMP program but I don't see that anywhere on the USF website.

Also, anyone know of anyone who has been through the program? I want to take my MCAT this summer and want to get an idea of how busy Im going to be/ how hard it is to succeed in the program.

I'll PM you some info that I just sent to one of your future classmates.

I actually haven't heard about the program before your post. I just got accepted to the pre-professional masters.. and now after reading more about the IMS, i'm wondering what's the difference between the two.

I actually haven't heard about the program before your post. I just got accepted to the pre-professional masters.. and now after reading more about the IMS, i'm wondering what's the difference between the two.

IMS = ~15 students, all first year medical student basic science curriculum and anatomy lab graded against medical student average, taking same tests.

Pre-professional = larger group of students. traditional delivery of courses (the medical school teaches in system blocks rather than broken down courses) and I think there's a MCAT prep option.

IMS is geared towards students wanting an option to pursue PhD program. I spoke with the admissions officer about it. The Medical Masters is designed as a credential booster for medical/professional school acceptance. Taking classes at the medical college etc.

IMS is geared towards students wanting an option to pursue PhD program. I spoke with the admissions officer about it. The Medical Masters is designed as a credential booster for medical/professional school acceptance. Taking classes at the medical college etc.

Don't know who you spoke to but IMS is not for PhD. In fact it is, like Georgetown SMP, BU MAMS, etc., a last shot effort towards medical school admissions to "prove yourself." I would look elsewhere if wanting to pursue anything other than medical school since the curriculum is all of the basic science classes with the first year medical students.

IMS is run through OSDE office but it isn't necessarily geared towards minorities as it "might have" once been.

I would say the MSMS pre-prof track is not in the SMP category at all. There is never a class taken with the medical students, nor is it graded against their curves. Coursework is taught with the same basic info but for the class of 200 on their own separate semester timeline and not in the systems blocks. I guess more like Loyola MAMS???

Guju is right though. I'm in the program now and if someone wants more info I'll share my experiences but likely refer you to Shirley Smith for any other specifics. She's a great resource for info on the IMS program and the other ones that USF offers.

I do think you should realize though while not like IMS, this is still an SMP of sorts. And that's what they are trying to make it out to be.

BU MAMS is an SMP. They take year 1 med courses too. But they do not take year one med courses on the same schedule as the med students. They are not graded against the med students. They are graded on their own separate curve but one that is quite steep and similar to how med students are graded if not steeper then the med student curve.

Yet, it is well regarded amonst many schools.

The new program is gearing up to become like that and less like the program at Gtown. Gtown SMP or Drexel IMS are better examples of SMPs where u are truly graded against the med student curve.

Also Tufts MBS is an SMP but again does not teach on the M1 schedule.

I would say USF's new programs are similar to Tufts MBS or BU MAMS, less like Gtown SMP or Drexel IMS.

I would also say USF IMS is closer to EVMS BMS or Wakeforest postbac or GEMS in some ways, but perhaps whether or not is geared towards disadvantaged or URMs is something to ask Shirley Smith.

Why I would not compare pre-professional track to Loyola mams but more like BU and Drexel's programs is because it is taught by medical year one faculty on the medical campus of USF college of Medicine. it is not taught at the main campus like Loyola MAMS is. It is taught by the same faculty as the med student classes just not with the med students.

This is how Tufts and BU's programs work.

I see your side of it...I'm just not a huge fan of the new program beyond the MCAT preparation. It's a big program (numbers wise) and it's impersonal (from my standpoint). There looks to be more online coursework in that track vs. the IMS program and that's just not something I think is very conducive to strong medical school applications, IMHO.

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

Has anyone heard back yet from the anatomy concentration (MSMS research track)? They told me they wanted an interview 2 weeks ago but I have not been able to reach them since :/

IMS IS for those considering a PhD future. I spoke with the admissions officer for the program, so if you have any doubts as to the validity of my statement you can speak with her. Your knowledge is a bit skewed. Perhaps it was different in the past but IMS IS GEARED TOWARDS those kids not strong enough to get into a Phd off the track from undergraduate. Ciao

IMS IS for those considering a PhD future. I spoke with the admissions officer for the program, so if you have any doubts as to the validity of my statement you can speak with her. Your knowledge is a bit skewed. Perhaps it was different in the past but IMS IS GEARED TOWARDS those kids not strong enough to get into a Phd off the track from undergraduate. Ciao

I'm am in IMS now. I take medical school classes with the first year students...I will be a medical student in the fall. None of us are going towards PhD nor did any of us or students in the year before decide to take the PhD route...so the statistics on your info just ain't working right.

I'm not sure the logic that people are using for this but I'm here to tell you that you and whoever you spoke to are flat out wrong. You don't take medical school classes with medical school students to work towards a PhD.

If anyone has questions about the IMS program please feel free to PM me...and I'll share my experiences

Hmm well apparently the admissions officer I spoke with is wrong. Perhaps you should do her job then? ;-)

I sent you a PM. I would rather not post certain things on the open forum. But feel free to PM me back.

I hope my PM, long as it may be, gives you some idea of what kind of info u are looking for.

Good luck. :luck:

Good you forward a similar PM to me as well.

USF IMS really seems to be looking for very specific students. I applied here fairly early and felt I was a pretty strong candidate. I have already received acceptances to Tufts' MBS and NYMC's SMP and Loyola MAMS and I'm waitlisted at Georgetown's SMP, but I was rejected from USF's IMS (along with Cincy's program).

Either way I was a bit surprised though I would've gone elsewhere anyways. Good luck to everyone going to USF's IMS this coming year!!!! =D

Hey guys!

So between USF MS pre-professional track and Drexel MSP/IMS, which would you choose??

Regardless of tuition, which school would give me a better chance of being accepted into medical school, assuming I do well in the program. Which one is more respected? Which one produces more successful students? Which one is better :rolleyes:

Thanks!!

I am an in-stater, so obviously tuition makes a HUGE difference. But my concern is more about if the program will get me into a medical school the following year. With drexel you have a guaranteed interview at the COM with a 27 mcat and certain gpa. Does USF have that same linkage with USFCOM? And it seems like Drexel has a smaller class and it is in Philly, where many medical schools are. And whereas USF is really only known in Fl, Drexel is more "nationally" recognized...

Oh and my situation is I DEF need to retake the MCAT, need to boost several points.... not saying how many, just several, lol and my gpa is around that 3.3ish.... I took one year off from college.

Ohhh what a dilemma....:rolleyes:

Ok so first off, from what I heard when I was applying to SMPs in spring 2009, 2 years ago....

Drexel IMS has a lot of stipulations that they don't tell you about on the surface. For instance, even if you get a 3.0 overall but end up with even a single B- you are screwed. The 27+ has to be 9s or above in each section. So you can't be like a person with a 7 in verbal and 12s in science and get the guaranteed interview. All classes are taught from the satellite campus that is near Upenn and downtown philly but not at the main campus. You have to watch all your lectures as video lectures. No face time with professors. I know there's a floridian on here who will criticize me for criticizing her program, but the kids I talked to 2 years ago were not very positive about the program.

Furthermore, guaranteed interview doesn't mean guaranteed acceptance. From what I also heard 2 years ago, there were many who implicated that 3.8+ in the program and interview doesn't necessarily mean that you will get into the school. There were many who did not get in because undergrad grades still dictates a lot.

Drexel IMS makes a lot of promises but its considered one of the worst SMPs because those promises fail to tell the real story.

Sorry if that is harsh but its what I and so many others got out of the drexel threads on here in past years.

The reason I asked you your stats and your in state vs. out of state status is that IS status means you actually have a real shot at Florida schools and therefore USF MSMS should be enough for you to get into a medical school.

3.3 is also not too bad when you consider that there are people with sub 3.0s and 3.0s who have gotten into these programs in much worse situations. Your personal situation I think will largely depend on your ability to increase your MCAT as well.

I think in your position I'd not choose drexel IMS over USF MSMS. That being said if the choice was something like Gtown SMP, BU MAMS, etc. over USF MSMS it would be a harder decision for me to make.

I honestly don't trust Drexel IMS and only applied 2 years ago in a desperate attempt to let my dad let me go to an SMP. Honestly was glad and relieved in a way when I didn't get in because it meant he'd have to let me go to BU as I preferred to.

Trust gujuDoc on this one! I've definitely read so many negative things about drexel's SMP that it made me decide not to apply there at all! Like people saying it's the Walmart of SMPs haha

Did you apply to any other SMPs? I think there's still time so you could do that because there are plenty of other ones that are very prestigious and may be what you're looking for!

Thanks for that advice... And I know I'm writing these posts on a USF forum so I can't get the drexel side of the argument:(...

But as far as USF is concernced, do they give MCAT prep? Would doing the MSMS program mean taking another year off after I graduate in 2012 with a Masters and apply for the next AMCAS cycle? When would be the best time to take the MCAT if attending USFMSMS? After? before? during?

Thanks!!!!

Accepted! Looking forward to seing you guys.
Wow, I cant beleive we're the 200 out of 800, I'm glad I got my stuff in early.

So, what are we all here for? MD,DO,PHARMD,DDS/DMD,etc??

My experience is most are in it for med school, with a small minority for dental school.

GOOD LUCK To you all.

Hey gujuDoc, you seem to know a lot about the program. You mind estimating my chances at this point? The deadline as you probably know is June 1st, and I'll end up getting everything in just before that so I imagine that's a setback already. I have a 3.27 cumulative GPA with around a 3.14 BCPM gpa. I haven't taken the MCAT but I'm registered to take it on July 29th. I've taken the GRE and received an 1180. I feel I have adequate EC, research experience, etc... any idea where I stand in this pool of (what I hear) 800 applicants?

What were yalls gpa, mcat, gre, etc...? Trying to grasp where I stand :luck:

What were yalls gpa, mcat, gre, etc...? Trying to grasp where I stand :luck:

I was accepted into the program and have not yet taken the MCAT. I plan on taking it next Spring, and honestly, don't recommend taking it before the program because I feel that you'll gain a better advantage after having taken more course work.

Also, the Admissions Coordinator, Katie, is awesome! She's extremely helpful! Highly recommend contacting her during the application process - and better yet, set-up a meeting with her in person, if you can.

Hey guys, I applied to the program about a week ago and was wondering about the turnaround time for a decision from the admissions office. Also, my GPA is on the low end but my GRE is 1310 any thoughts on my chances?

Applied 2 weeks ago. Also, what is the turn around for a decision? How long was it from the time you sent in your secondary to the time you found out about acceptance?

Does anyone know the success of this program? like how many people go to med school and such? I know you make your own success but I hope you know what I mean. Thanks.