University of South Florida USF Masters in Medical Science MSMS 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am currently in this program AND HATE IT! Nothing is organized, the professors couldn't care less about you, no open-door policy...everything is bad! Although I've managed to pull a 3.8 in the first semester, it was through studying every second of every day and trying to think about how the professors could trick me. The professors exams are ridiculous. It is an ongoing joke in our program that the professors come into class and say "1+1=2" and then the exam says "You have four apples and gave one away, what is the diameter of the sun?" It really is horrible!!!

:annoyed:

WELL said! I couldn't agree with you more. The program is such a JOKE. I truly HATE it! I understand it is suppose to be hard, but it shoudn't be so unfair, orgranized. It is ridiculous...i don't think they could care less about us :(

Members don't see this ad.

I applied really early, like last November, and got an Email saying I was accepted in February. They didn't start looking at apps until early february though, so I think the turnaround is probably going to be about 1-2 weeks to hear back. as it gets closer to may though, it may take longer since more people apply in april/may/june, especially when the med school letters come out.

Hey everyone, I was accepted into the program last week :smuggrin: Does anyone know the "Stats" on how successful the program is in terms of medical school acceptance? I understand you have to do well, but when I asked Katie ( admissions officer) the % getting into med. she didn't have a concrete answer. Just said that since there are 200 kids, its hard for her to keep track of all of them , but she said the program was "very successful". hmmm. I also read some where that if you do well, there is a good shot at USF medical. Anyone have any thoughts?? thanks

The program is not very successful at all. I am in the program and have a 3.8 GPA. I didn't even get looked at by USF COM, nor any other MD school. My MCAT is a 27 and I am in-state. You definitely do not have good shots of getting into USF COM through this program. There are 250 students and 7 got in :-/ You're MUCH better off taking the year to work and improve your MCAT. If this program has taught me anything, you will get in with a high MCAT over a high grad GPA. Oh...and you will probably go in debt (there are no more subsidized loans for grad students). Good luck with your decision.

The program is not very successful at all. I am in the program and have a 3.8 GPA. I didn't even get looked at by USF COM, nor any other MD school. My MCAT is a 27 and I am in-state. You definitely do not have good shots of getting into USF COM through this program. There are 250 students and 7 got in :-/.

That's a good grad GPA! I think the reason why you didn't get looked at by usf or other med schools is because of your mcat...instate or not, remember that we are competing with other ppl for the same spot, and some may have the same GPA as you, but a higher mcat & more extracurriculars. i think if your mcat was higher (30s or higher..the competitive range) then you would get interviews and etc. etc. :).

Members don't see this ad :)
To those looking at USF as a potential program, please take these reviews with a grain of salt. There were 250 people accepted and of those a handful so irate that they decided to vent through SDN. Funny how no messages were posted last semester about the inequities of the program while most of these same individuals were getting their 3.7/3.8.

For whatever it's worth, the truth is that there is a steep rise in the difficulty level between the classes taught in the first semester and those of the second. You have to consider that a load with Anatomy and Biochem will require a different approach and less depth of knowledge than one filled with Neuroscience, Physiology, and Pharmacology.

With that being said, not all associated with this program shines. Yes, there are some examinations that are excessively tough, there are teachers that are not as open to being approached, and there are classes that pack so much information into a single lecture that you honestly don't know where to start or how you'll be able to manage learning it.

However, I have yet to meet a professor not willing to help (although you might run into a select few who don't seem happy to do so-but will still help you with your problem/question/concern). I haven't walked into the Grad Office with a general problem about that program that wasn't already on route to being taken care of. Only once did I meet a professor who could not help me resolve an issue, yet I knew who to go to afterwards and my problem was fixed. Finally, I understand that people are frustrated with the test issues, and that they are on par or exceeding the difficulty of those taken by med students. However, I honestly can't say that a test that has even one person scoring a 100% is unfair, all I can say is that I wish the professor relied less on information from the book (which I did not read) and made his/her questions directly from the notes. However, they do tell us to read the book so I am partially to blame.

Many people in this program did fairly well their first semester and developed a sense of entitlement, and the fact that a school the caliber of USF passed on them has them shocked. USF specifies very clearly that the Masters Degree program does NOT guarantee admission into USF med; however, there are people in this program right now that have gained admission into USF med. There are also people who have gained admission to other MD programs throughout the states. Yet for the majority here, the issues plaguing their applications exceeded what could be amended by 12 credit hours. The fact that most of the people here are unable to handle this second semester proves that point.

So take my comments for what they're worth, just keep in mind that this is a high risk program. If you are confident in your ability to study then this will bolster your resume as well as prepare you incredibly well for Med School. If not, and you're worried about your ability to study or don't have the confidence to pursue a tough degree with a very challenging course load, then you might want to look elsewhere. These classes are on par with the ones taught earlier in the day to med students, but unfortunately a C is not good enough here.

Finally, there are 250 Pre-professional grad students, while only 10-15 in each of the Specialty/Pre-PhD tracks. Since this is the first year of Pre-Professional, and last year there were about 6 degree routes (Anatomy,Pharm,MedMicro,etc), then thats about 60-90 total graduating last year, of which many were pre-PhD so to have about 10-15 getting into USF med isn't that bad of a statistic. If there were 750 grad students the school of health would be a zoo.

What's my authority for saying this? I'm one of the few that were accepted to medical school (MD but i'm not going to USF thank god) this year, so I'm the outlier. I'm saying this on behalf of 99.9% of the students.

Whatever you do, PLEASE do not do this program. What are the stats? approx 650 students are accepted into all the master's programs, and they graduate much less than that (the rest fail out due to class load). How many of them get into USF Med school? 2010 - 3. 2011 - 5. 2012 - 5 are expected (and that's from consecutive years. so the denominator of the matriculant:graduate ratio increases by 650 every year while the numerator stays about the same). What about other acceptance to other medical schools? Number of MS students with an acceptance to an MD and DO school - approx 20. Think you're better and smarter than everyone else so you'll be one of the top few? So does everyone else. Think you're more determined than the next and can outwit the others? Here's a reality check - this program is so cutthroat that students intentionally give each other the wrong answers and physical force is used to push other students out of the way to simply get a decent seat in class. That's a preview of the dedication/determination that each student has here. This may work for a very small number of people, but the rest of the entire class is having their dreams ruined, despite an insane amount of studying and dedication by all. Why ruined? because the vast majority of the class, although very intelligent, are barely breaking a 3.0 GPA because the grading scheme and exams are absolutely absurd and don't reflect what's taught in lecture. Oh yeah, and there's no curve. A 3.0 in a master's program is equivalent to a 2.0 undergrad, so you stand no chance at ever getting into medical school. And for most people, this master's is supposed to strengthen their application, so it obviously does the opposite.

So what's an alternative? Do a different master's program or reapply to medical school in upcoming years (retake the MCAT if necessary). It's sad to see an auditorium full of highly intelligent people, most of whom ruined their shot at medical school by doing this program. Had they reapplied, retaken their MCAT or simply did another program, they would have been accepted to medical school - even if it was DO or Caribbean. Now they don't even stand a chance at that. I don't care where you went to school or how intelligent you think you are (an idea of the current student population - lots of 4.0 undergrads, 39 MCATs, Ivy League undergrads, etc), this program is designed for students to fail.

That being said, if you still choose to do this program - you've been warned.

Ps. If you send me private message and if I respond with vague details, it's simply because I'm trying to protect my identity.

To everyone who applies to USF COM Pre-Professional Masters Program,

I also would like to shed light on the issues that were erroneously addressed by the aforementioned "nameless" poster. Like many people on this thread have said. Take these ill regarded comments with a grain of salt. As a future doctor, you are going to face hardships, standardized testing, and a voluminous amount of course material. This program at USF has provided an excellent foundation for the upcoming MS1 and MS2 years of medical school.

This year's matriculating class at the USF COM has accepted ~28% of their class from students who have completed a Masters degree at the USF COM. Several other medical institutions across the state have accepted students from our Pre-Professional Program. Including Nova Southeastern, LECOM, FSU, UCF, UM, to name a few. (I was also informed there are some being accepted to OOS schools as well. Including New Jersey, Ohio, D.C., and Tennessee.)

This year the class started out as 250 students, not 600, and throughout the course of the semesters several students had to drop the program due to financial or personal reasons. Some realized medicine was not their "cup of tea." However, for the vast majority who still remain enrolled in the courses, there is a high moral among students to achieve what they came here to do: 1.) Build a foundation in Medical Science 2.) Obtain a Masters degree, as the program is advertised. Whether or not someone achieves a 4.0 GPA or a 3.3 GPA is solely up to them, their study habits, their understanding of the material and their work ethic. If something is not understood, answers can be found through professor access, if one sought the professors out via e-mail, blackboard, after class, before class, or office appointments.

Speaking for myself, I maintained a 4.0 GPA over the course of the past two semesters. I worked 25-30 hours per week in an Emergency Department. I have served as a Graduate Student Representative for my own classmates to ensure their concerns are being addressed. I am not meaning to brag or "toot my own horn." I merely want to say that if the ability to do well in this program while taking on other activities is possible. Then, it is certainly possible for individuals to do well in this program. Again, harping back to an individual's personal ATTITUDE.

I will not hide my identity behind a screen name. If you would like any additional "student affair" questions to be addressed you can e-mail me or Facebook me. As far as numbers and statistics go, Katie Carson in the Office of Graduate Admissions is a very helpful and reliable source.

Respectfully,

Garrett Harrison
[email protected]

I also would like to shed light on the issues that were erroneously addressed by the aforementioned "nameless" poster. Like many people on this thread have said. Take these ill regarded comments with a grain of salt. As a future doctor, you are going to face hardships, standardized testing, and a voluminous amount of course material. This program at USF has provided an excellent foundation for the upcoming MS1 and MS2 years of medical school.

This year's matriculating class at the USF COM has accepted ~28% of their class from students who have completed a Masters degree at the USF COM. Several other medical institutions across the state have accepted students from our Pre-Professional Program. Including Nova Southeastern, LECOM, FSU, UCF, UM, to name a few. (I was also informed there are some being accepted to OOS schools as well. Including New Jersey, Ohio, D.C., and Tennessee.)

This year the class started out as 250 students, not 600, and throughout the course of the semesters several students had to drop the program due to financial or personal reasons. Some realized medicine was not their "cup of tea." However, for the vast majority who still remain enrolled in the courses, there is a high moral among students to achieve what they came here to do: 1.) Build a foundation in Medical Science 2.) Obtain a Masters degree, as the program is advertised. Whether or not someone achieves a 4.0 GPA or a 3.3 GPA is solely up to them, their study habits, their understanding of the material and their work ethic. If something is not understood, answers can be found through professor access, if one sought the professors out via e-mail, blackboard, after class, before class, or office appointments.

Speaking for myself, I maintained a 4.0 GPA over the course of the past two semesters. I worked 25-30 hours per week in an Emergency Department. I have served as a Graduate Student Representative for my own classmates to ensure their concerns are being addressed. I am not meaning to brag or "toot my own horn." I merely want to say that if the ability to do well in this program while taking on other activities is possible. Then, it is certainly possible for individuals to do well in this program. Again, harping back to an individual's personal ATTITUDE.

I will not hide my identity behind a screen name. If you would like any additional "student affair" questions to be addressed you can e-mail me or Facebook me. As far as numbers and statistics go, Katie Carson in the Office of Graduate Admissions is a very helpful and reliable source.

Respectfully,

Garrett Harrison
[email protected]

Can you please comment on how helpful the program is--looking at your mdapplicants profile, you are a florida resident, and of the 5 schools you heard back from (all florida) you were rejected, even after sending the update letters with the 4.0 GPA from USF's master's program. The other 2 schools, both Florida schools, you are still waiting to hear anything back from other than you being complete there. I am sure some people considering this program (as I have been for the past few months now) would like to know if it's worth it. And if this is your 2nd cycle applying, please don't bring up the MCAT score as you had 2 years to improve on it.

Can you please comment on how helpful the program is--looking at your mdapplicants profile, you are a florida resident, and of the 5 schools you heard back from (all florida) you were rejected, even after sending the update letters with the 4.0 GPA from USF's master's program. The other 2 schools, both Florida schools, you are still waiting to hear anything back from other than you being complete there. I am sure some people considering this program (as I have been for the past few months now) would like to know if it's worth it. And if this is your 2nd cycle applying, please don't bring up the MCAT score as you had 2 years to improve on it.

Check your PM's

Looks like doing 1 or 2 years of more undergrad at a 3.7+ is a better deal than the USF MSMS...the fact that you performed so well and got rejected by almost everyone in FL blows man.

Quick question, is it too late to apply to this program today? And should i send the same letters of recomendation used to apply to med school?

June 1st, 2012. Rolling admissions.

Yea you're right. There must be other aspects of my application that are deficient since all medical schools now review hollistically. What can you do? Certainly, sitting around pouting about it isn't going to help. Or bashing the program/medical schools. Just going to continue working hard and re-apply.

Hope you the best.

Just got my acceptance today to this program....not sure what to make of it after reading all the comments above =/ I'm also having reservations about paying ~60K for no linkage. I'm looking to apply for med school this cycle...so not sure it's worth it to invest 60k for a program that might not help my chances all that much. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
My personal opinion is that if you're paying 60k for a chance (aka USF MSMS), you're making a mistake. If you're paying 60k for a linkage program, it's a much better investment (but still a risk); however, the reward is well worth it.

My personal opinion is that if you're paying 60k for a chance (aka USF MSMS), you're making a mistake. If you're paying 60k for a linkage program, it's a much better investment (but still a risk); however, the reward is well worth it.

Just to break it down:

1. You have every right to your opinion.
2. It's far less than $60,000 ( ~16,000, maybe because I am In-State??)
3. Whether you receive that "reward" is ON you, wherever you go. Just because you do great in a Masters program does not mean their going to accept you outright (My case in point).

If you are considering USF I would be on the look-out for updates in the next few months, to see if anything has been updated/changed. I urge you to ask as many questions as possible to ensure that you're expectations and what you believe you will receive from a Masters program is aligned with the school's expectations.

Again, I wish you the best!!!!

Yeah, USF is cheap as an in-state student, but I meant to say many other programs that cost more than USF but offer the same thing. And you are right, the reward is on you, but there are some programs that are better than others simply because of their linkage-situation.

acousticxlover: when did you apply and how long did it take for you to hear back?

sorry for the late response but I submitted my application 13FEB and received an e-mail from Katie stating my acceptance into the program on 01MAR.

Anyone apply to the IMS version of MSMS (the one with the early march deadline that is ran by the office of student diversity and enrichment)?

Apparently acceptances were supposed to be released today but I haven't heard anything back yet... If you aren't accepted, the app is supposed to be forwarded to the MSMS at the grad school. I hope this doesn't mean I got passed on since I really wanted to take the med school courses...

Anyone hear back?

I applied to the IMS program as well, though no response today. From the email I was sent upon completion, we should have found out either way today. Either way, I've already accepted a spot at a different SMP that seems like a better fit. Just wanted to let you know it wasn't just you that didn't receive any notification.

I applied to the IMS program as well, though no response today. From the email I was sent upon completion, we should have found out either way today. Either way, I've already accepted a spot at a different SMP that seems like a better fit. Just wanted to let you know it wasn't just you that didn't receive any notification.

Thanks for letting me know. I ended up sending an e-mail to Shirley, but if you end up finding out later on, let me know. I'm hoping it is just the beginning of decisions to be sent out, but most likely not since the instructions page was pretty explicit on saying today was the day. I'm assuming I'll get a response to my e-mail tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, what SMP did you end up choosing?

I applied to the IMS as well and I did not hear anything today. I hope that isnt a bad sign, and if i is a sign that I am not accepted to the IMS program I hope there will enough seats to accomadate me in the MSMS Pre-Med Program!! Fingers crossed!

IMS hopefuls: just got a response from Shirley that we'll know by 5pm today (they received more apps than expected).

Respectfully,

Garrett Harrison
[email protected]

serving as the graduate student rep, have you received any indication of changes to the program for the Fall 2012 cycle pertaining to the complaints of this year's cycle?

IMS hopefuls: just got a response from Shirley that we'll know by 5pm today (they received more apps than expected).

OK 5:00p has come and gone again and still no word from anyone with the IMS program. Has anybody actually heard anything?

IMHO, this is not a good indication of how this office operates, I hope they don't run the program this way.

Thank you in advance for your contributions.

I didn't apply (didn't have my recommendations together in time, still applying to MSMS despite some "advice" on this thread), but three other people I know did, and none of them heard back as of 6:00 PM today. To say the program has come off as more than a little unprofessional would be an understatement.

Waitlisted for IMS. Somebody wanna drop their spot and mention that Dr. Baby would love to have it ;)

OK 5:00p has come and gone again and still no word from anyone with the IMS program. Has anybody actually heard anything?

IMHO, this is not a good indication of how this office operates, I hope they don't run the program this way.

Thank you in advance for your contributions.

Sorry to hear that man - maybe call them up to make sure. I ended up getting my acceptance around 5:30. I do feel like they should at least let everyone know one way or another (didn't look like there were that many applications from the materials checklist).

Dr. Baby - well if I get lucky with Georgetown or Boston, I'll open up a spot :)

Sorry to hear that man - maybe call them up to make sure. I ended up getting my acceptance around 5:30. I do feel like they should at least let everyone know one way or another (didn't look like there were that many applications from the materials checklist).

Dr. Baby - well if I get lucky with Georgetown or Boston, I'll open up a spot :)

Congrats! and I will cross my fingers for you! :xf: I have actually applied to Boston as well, but they want my spring grades before they make a decision. IMS is still my top choice though since it's so close to home. I don't know anything about snow :p

Although it's nice to think I didn't get completely rejected it stinks that I wasn't accepted. I'm on the waiting list. Anyone else wondering how the list is organized? I'm not giving up yet.

Hey guys, I was accepted yesterday evening into the IMS program. I am still waiting to hear back from a few medical school's decisions for this Fall, but I'm really leaning towards this program if those don't work out. I do have a few questions though. Any current IMS attendees or alumni want to chat with me? So.. our start date is only two months away.. Facebook group?

Just curious about the kind of MCAT/ GPA needed to get into these programs? I was rejected from the IMS program with a 32mcat and a 3.45... I know my gpa is too low, but they wont even give me a chance to improve it! :(

Just curious about the kind of MCAT/ GPA needed to get into these programs? I was rejected from the IMS program with a 32mcat and a 3.45... I know my gpa is too low, but they wont even give me a chance to improve it! :(
Without divulging into my own numbers, I am sorry to hear about that. I doubt it was based strictly on your GPA/MCAT. They had a lot of competitive applications this year and took so few of them. I'm guessing no luck with the MD application cycle this year? Did you try DO? There are so many SMPs around, you should be able to get into a few of them. PM if you have more questions or need help.

Does anyone know what the housing options are? Do MSMS/IMS students get on-campus housing?

I got accepted to the ims program last week. Do any of you guys have a suggestion on where grad students like us should live? How are you guys that are in state students planning on paying for the program seeing that our first day of classes begins in just over a month? Do any of you guys know if after the completion of the ims program the mcat is required to retake as well as the whole aamcas application route again? Final question, what was the matriculation rate into medical school for the 2011-2012 ims class just before us?

I am also wondering about housing, I thought there was a forum somewhere for grad students looking for roommates but I can't find it, anyone know what I'm talking about?

Former Graduate of the Molecular Medicine program here. Been a while since I did this program and figured I would chime in after hearing a lot of disheartening things said about USF and the MSMS program. From my understanding the MSMS is very similar to what we did in Molecular medicine, as far as rigor of tests and number of students goes. We had 200 in our program, and less than 5% got in.

SO quick academic history:
-I did 4 years at FSU, came out with a horrendous GPA
-Got into MM at USF and got my masters- applied to med schools in FL and USF that year, didn't get in.
-Retook the MCAT and worked for a year

Now i'm in the best school I could have ever imagined being in, and one I could never have applied to out of undergrad- Georgetown SOM.

I could have not made it to where i'm at, or become a future Physician, without the getting my Masters at USF. It has opened up countless doors, which included getting a very well paid position after getting a masters, and doing very well on my MCAT. I studied absolutely no biology before taking my final MCAT, and blew that section out of the water! I studied very hard and did well in the other sections, simply because the USF Molecular Medicine program gave me the strong work ethic that I have continued with since I took the program.

The tests were difficult, and the faculty were even more difficult to deal with while I was there, but face the facts:
1) The faculty may not look as favorably on masters students because they know they're are more interested in getting a good grade than they are in the actual material they are teaching. It's just fact.
2) the exams were much more difficult, not to as hard as I have now in med school, but much more so than in undergrad. This is a GOOD THING, not sure why people disagree. It prepares you well as you need to become accustomed to the rigor you will face if you have to retake the MCAT, and in medical school, STEP 1, and the rest of your life. The masters is not meant to be grade inflation to make your application gpa look pretty- Admins at all med schools know those types of programs, and look more favorably on challenging programs. If everyone went to USF and got a masters and came out with near a 4.0, how could schools discern between you and another average joe student?

I highly recommend doing this program to any student interested, and study for it and work for your grade as if you were in med school. Isn't that the point?

If you plan on doing this program, it would benefit you to take it seriously, and reapply to medical schools AFTER you complete the program. You can always apply before, but adcoms want to see your grades throughout the whole program, and updating them after each semester is usually makes it too late for that cycle.

I went through this program, did very average compared to everyone else, came out with a 3.5 gpa, and doors opened everywhere.

Gharrison, don't give up, you sound like you will have a very strong shot at applying this year, you did yourself well.
PM with any questions, can't promise i'll get back to you immediately.

do you feel as if the masters program's courses allowed you to get a better grasp on biological subjects in preparation for the MCAT?

Former Graduate of the Molecular Medicine program here. Been a while since I did this program and figured I would chime in after hearing a lot of disheartening things said about USF and the MSMS program. From my understanding the MSMS is very similar to what we did in Molecular medicine, as far as rigor of tests and number of students goes. We had 200 in our program, and less than 5% got in.

SO quick academic history:
-I did 4 years at FSU, came out with a horrendous GPA
-Got into MM at USF and got my masters- applied to med schools in FL and USF that year, didn't get in.
-Retook the MCAT and worked for a year

Now i'm in the best school I could have ever imagined being in, and one I could never have applied to out of undergrad- Georgetown SOM.

I could have not made it to where i'm at, or become a future Physician, without the getting my Masters at USF. It has opened up countless doors, which included getting a very well paid position after getting a masters, and doing very well on my MCAT. I studied absolutely no biology before taking my final MCAT, and blew that section out of the water! I studied very hard and did well in the other sections, simply because the USF Molecular Medicine program gave me the strong work ethic that I have continued with since I took the program.

The tests were difficult, and the faculty were even more difficult to deal with while I was there, but face the facts:
1) The faculty may not look as favorably on masters students because they know they're are more interested in getting a good grade than they are in the actual material they are teaching. It's just fact.
2) the exams were much more difficult, not to as hard as I have now in med school, but much more so than in undergrad. This is a GOOD THING, not sure why people disagree. It prepares you well as you need to become accustomed to the rigor you will face if you have to retake the MCAT, and in medical school, STEP 1, and the rest of your life. The masters is not meant to be grade inflation to make your application gpa look pretty- Admins at all med schools know those types of programs, and look more favorably on challenging programs. If everyone went to USF and got a masters and came out with near a 4.0, how could schools discern between you and another average joe student?

I highly recommend doing this program to any student interested, and study for it and work for your grade as if you were in med school. Isn't that the point?

If you plan on doing this program, it would benefit you to take it seriously, and reapply to medical schools AFTER you complete the program. You can always apply before, but adcoms want to see your grades throughout the whole program, and updating them after each semester is usually makes it too late for that cycle.

I went through this program, did very average compared to everyone else, came out with a 3.5 gpa, and doors opened everywhere.

Gharrison, don't give up, you sound like you will have a very strong shot at applying this year, you did yourself well.
PM with any questions, can't promise i'll get back to you immediately.

I did this program two years ago. It will give you back just as much as you put into it. My UGrad GPA entering the program was a 3.1 from the top in-state university. I finished my MSMS at USF with a 3.95. I currently have two acceptances, one being from a respectable MD school, which is probably where I will matriculate. I am on a few alternate lists as well.

This program has its flaws, but if you are dedicated, you will get everything you need out of it, and MORE. I was able to get 5 LORs, and 2 additional clinical experiences. I also developed and matured as a student, which is the most important skill I learned. Without having attended this program, I would have never had the success I have had during this app cycle.

Realize that there are more aspects to your AMCAS app besides GPA, so don't expect to just attend this program, do well, and automatically get in to an MD school. It does not work that way. Address each weak part of your app, from LORs, to clinical experiences, to MCAT, etc.. If you understand what you can realistically gain from this program, and actually put the time and work to do so, then it will be well worth it.

The same people complaining on this thread sound like the ones in my class who complained about the program every day; they were also the ones that were not dedicated to their studies, procrastinated on every exam, and ended choosing other career paths outside medicine. The dedicated ones are either M1s, M2s, or will be matriculating this fall.

"You are the master of your fate", especially as a student in the MSMS program at USF. Good luck!

Former Graduate of the Molecular Medicine program here. [...]

Thank you for sharing your story. I am a fellow FSU alumus and I too carried an abysmal GPA directly out of undergrad. At least for me, your comments are a light in the dark!

At present, I work full-time as an Emergency Department Technician for an ER in Naples, FL and I am going on three years out of undergrad this May. Despite not finding any luck with my first application cycle in 2010 I still aspire to to go to medical school; that ambition has not waivered. More than any other time, I am convinced a Master's program such as thoes offered at USF would be my chance to make my ambitions possible.

I applied to the USF MS IMS program and was wait-listed.
Now, I am being told that my application has been forwarded to the USF MS MS Pre-Professional program for review for that program, but only after my wait-list admissions status is sorted out by May 18th.

I can not thank you enough for your insights about the Mol. Med. program at USF and I appreciate your comments about the importance of rigor in a program such as this. Personally I look forward to a rigorous program, heck I wouldn't have it any other way, since I am hoping the MS at USF will not only improve my standing as a canidate, but improve my abilities as a student as well.

Your story inspires me and gives me hope that I can succeed too! Thank you again!

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anythings about class scheduling or financial aid information for the IMS program? I just feel really behind on those things. Not to mention I still have to sign a lease. PM me if your in the program too and interested in trading ideas and forming study groups etc.

I did this program two years ago. [...]
"You are the master of your fate", especially as a student in the MSMS program at USF. Good luck!

Thank you for insights, they are greatly apprciated!

Has anyone heard anythings about class scheduling or financial aid information for the IMS program? I just feel really behind on those things. Not to mention I still have to sign a lease. PM me if your in the program too and interested in trading ideas and forming study groups etc.
Check your PM.

As you may already know, I am on the IMS waiting list.

Anyone else out there on the waiting list?

When I inquired about the waiting list with the program director Shirley Smith, she mentioned the list is not ranked, that the program always accepts more students than there are seats to accommodate refusals, and that the waiting list exists in case spots remain opened after they receive word from all the people they offered admission to. She did not mention how many students they accepted, nor how many people were on the waiting list.

I was just wondering if there was anyone out there that made it into the program from the waiting list? I also wondered if anyone had any insight or a strategy in general, as to how I can get accepted from the waiting list?

Accepted to the Pre-Professional track today and so happy! I still have my fingers crossed to get off the wait list for IMS but I'll take what I can get :) Good luck to those of you who are still waiting!

Am I really the only SDN member on the USF IMS waiting list?

Accepted to the Pre-Professional track today and so happy! I still have my fingers crossed to get off the wait list for IMS but I'll take what I can get :) Good luck to those of you who are still waiting!

Ms. Katie Carson from the pre-professional program told me that typically IMS applicants on the wait-list will not be reviewed for the pre-professional program until after the wait-list is finalized. She closed her email with, "keep me updated."

As a fellow IMS applicant on the waiting list, may I ask you how you had your application reviewed for the pre-professional program before the May 18th cutoff?

Thank you!

Ms. Katie Carson from the pre-professional program told me that typically IMS applicants on the wait-list will not be reviewed for the pre-professional program until after the wait-list is finalized. She closed her email with, "keep me updated."

As a fellow IMS applicant on the waiting list, may I ask you how you had your application reviewed for the pre-professional program before the May 18th cutoff?

Thank you!

I actually did not do anything special. I received an email from Ms. Katie on Monday saying that they had received my app from IMS and asked if I would like to be considered for their pre-professional track. It was a standard type of letter, not like one sent just to me personally. I replied that afternoon saying that I would like to be considered and offered to send any updates or additional information. She basically just replied with "Thanks, we will consider your app" and then I got the acceptance today. I did not send her any additional info for my app. Who knows why mine was reviewed before the IMS wait list has been finalized, but I'm not complaining ;)