University of South Florida USF Masters in Medical Science MSMS 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I actually did not do anything special. I received an email from Ms. Katie on Monday saying that they had received my app from IMS and asked if I would like to be considered for their pre-professional track. It was a standard type of letter, not like one sent just to me personally. I replied that afternoon saying that I would like to be considered and offered to send any updates or additional information. She basically just replied with "Thanks, we will consider your app" and then I got the acceptance today. I did not send her any additional info for my app. Who knows why mine was reviewed before the IMS wait list has been finalized, but I'm not complaining ;)

Thank you for sharing, DrBaby. And of course, congratulations on your admission to the Pre-professional program!

Best regards!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone been accepted to both usf ims and fsu bridge? This is a serious decision because fsu has guaranteed med school matriculation while usf does not. Almost always all bridge students get into the med school the following year while usf does not. Usf is the better school and i feel it will open more does for me as an aspiring doctor of intenal medicine or sports medicine. Anyone have any advice for students in a pickle like me?

Has anyone been accepted to both usf ims and fsu bridge? This is a serious decision because fsu has guaranteed med school matriculation while usf does not. Almost always all bridge students get into the med school the following year while usf does not. Usf is the better school and i feel it will open more does for me as an aspiring doctor of intenal medicine or sports medicine. Anyone have any advice for students in a pickle like me?

I would do FSU my friend. But that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
What will get you a prestigious residency is a really good grade on the USMLE.
My Cardiologist went to Nova Southeastern and he did his residency in Internal Medicine at Johns Hopkins/Siani
Since you want to go into either Internal or Sports Medicine and FSU's missions is to produce outstanding
Family Practice and Internal Medicine doctors, wouldn't it make the most sense to go to FSU.
I am not affiliated with FSU in any way shape or form. No one from my family attended FSU.
There is old saying a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. You have your bird.

What will get you a prestigious residency is a really good grade on the USMLE.
My Cardiologist went to Nova Southeastern and he did his residency in Internal Medicine at Johns Hopkins/Siani
Since you want to go into either Internal or Sports Medicine and FSU's missions is to produce outstanding
Family Practice and Internal Medicine doctors, wouldn't it make the most sense to go to FSU.
I am not affiliated with FSU in any way shape or form. No one from my family attended FSU.
There is old saying a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. You have your bird.

First off I love the quote. Secindly I really love sports. I played football at fsu under coach Bowden so sports and medicine are all I know. If I get interested in the orthopedics aspect of medicine I want to have that choice available to me.

Sorry to hear that man - maybe call them up to make sure. I ended up getting my acceptance around 5:30. I do feel like they should at least let everyone know one way or another (didn't look like there were that many applications from the materials checklist).

Dr. Baby - well if I get lucky with Georgetown or Boston, I'll open up a spot :)

Congrats on your acceptance! I was also accepted into IMS class, beginning in June of 2012. Have you made your decision yet?

I'd like to get a IMS 2012-2013 facebook page started, if there isn't one already. Do you know?

Hey guys, I was accepted yesterday evening into the IMS program. I am still waiting to hear back from a few medical school's decisions for this Fall, but I'm really leaning towards this program if those don't work out. I do have a few questions though. Any current IMS attendees or alumni want to chat with me? So.. our start date is only two months away.. Facebook group?

Boom:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/296065680477118/

First off I love the quote. Secindly I really love sports. I played football at fsu under coach Bowden so sports and medicine are all I know. If I get interested in the orthopedics aspect of medicine I want to have that choice available to me.
FSU had the same number accepted to Orthopedic Surgery as USF.
Google FSU Medicine Match List 2012. The student were accepted into a variety of Residency programs.
Did you apply to any Medical school besides FSU.

FSU had the same number accepted to Orthopedic Surgery as USF.
Google FSU Medicine Match List 2012. The student were accepted into a variety of Residency programs.
Did you apply to any Medical school besides FSU.

I was only interviewed by uf and fsu. But got accepted to fsu bridge and usf ims. I'm on the Waitlist at uf still.

I was only interviewed by uf and fsu. But got accepted to fsu bridge and usf ims. I'm on the Waitlist at uf still.

IMHO, this is a no brainer.

FSU BRIDGE = LINKAGE to FSU COM.
USF IMS = NO LINKAGE to any medical school.

If I was accepted to the FSU BRIDGE program I would definitely go to FSU.

Of course, you might think I'm telling you this because I went to FSU for UG or maybe because I'm on the IMS waiting list and hope to get a spot. In actuallity the FSU BRIDGE program truly is a great opportunity!

Last edited:
What's the difference between the IMS and MSMS programs?

From what I can tell, the IMS program is much smaller in terms of student number and students take courses with the MS1 students so they are graded against the medical students. Conversely, the MSMS program admits a larger number of students and delivers their own lectures. Both lead to an MS degree.

Has anyone heard anything from IMS since the first announcement? Has anyone been accepted to the IMS from the waiting list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard anything from IMS since the first announcement? Has anyone been accepted to the IMS from the waiting list?
nope, still waiting. I doubt we will hear anything until the 18th. Feels like an eternity. :/

Most likely will be giving up my spot to go to FSU bridge program for a guaranteed matriculation. Hard decision to make because usf is the better school and plus my girlfriend goes there :(

Hopefully one of you will be very happy and go on to reaching your dreams

Has there been anyone who did not meet one of the minimum requirements and still got in? do you think they will look past low GRE scores? I did not do as well as i wanted, but i meet the other requirements. I'm scared cause i really need this opportunity.

Has there been anyone who did not meet one of the minimum requirements and still got in? do you think they will look past low GRE scores? I did not do as well as i wanted, but i meet the other requirements. I'm scared cause i really need this opportunity.

what does "low" mean? 10, 20 points below minimum or significantly more below that?

Admission decisions were given in early April. From what I can tell applicants were either accepted, wait-listed, or denied. I am told by Dir. Shirley Smith that the waiting list will be deliberated by May 18th.

Good luck!

Admission decisions were given in early April. From what I can tell applicants were either accepted, wait-listed, or denied. I am told by Dir. Shirley Smith that the waiting list will be deliberated by May 18th.

Good luck!

thats sucks because i'm still waiting on my GRE scores. I'm wondering if i should just send in everything else instead.

thats sucks because i'm still waiting on my GRE scores. I'm wondering if i should just send in everything else instead.
lincoln, which track are you talking about? I believe Devenir is talking about the IMS track, of which decisions are already finalized (except for the waitlist), but I believe they are still taking applications for the other USF MSMS tracks.

lincoln, which track are you talking about? I believe Devenir is talking about the IMS track, of which decisions are already finalized (except for the waitlist), but I believe they are still taking applications for the other USF MSMS tracks.

Yea i'm talking about the MSMS!

Yea i'm talking about the MSMS!

Lincoln90, I am so sorry for failing to clarify that I was referring to information pertaining to the IMS concentration at USF. Thank you, DrBaby for clarifying on my behalf. Good luck everyone!

Just declined my IMS offer. So hopefully another spot opens up for those of you on the wait-list!

Lincoln90, I am so sorry for failing to clarify that I was referring to information pertaining to the IMS concentration at USF. Thank you, DrBaby for clarifying on my behalf. Good luck everyone!

its ok. i should have clarified what i meant anyways.

Has anyone received their official acceptance from the grad school in the mail? I was told that I was officially accepted April 30th, but I still haven't gotten a physical package in the mail.

Has anyone received their official acceptance from the grad school in the mail? I was told that I was officially accepted April 30th, but I still haven't gotten a physical package in the mail.

took almost a month to get to me in the mail

took almost a month to get to me in the mail

Hmm...well it's been over a month since I received the accepted email from Kathryn Carson. I got that email April 13th...then I was informed the grad school had officially accepted me April 30th...meaning I should have received my letter now. However, I've received nothing in the mail :(

Hmm...well it's been over a month since I received the accepted email from Kathryn Carson. I got that email April 13th...then I was informed the grad school had officially accepted me April 30th...meaning I should have received my letter now. However, I've received nothing in the mail :(

They send the letters based on date of acceptance through the grad school because even though the program is under the medical school, the grad school is essentially responsible for us. Therefore, you should receive your letter within the two weeks. Plus if your OASIS admissions status says you're accepted, no worries - you're really accepted into the program. congrats! See you in August? (granted you don't accept offers anywhere else and decide to attend USF MSMS)

They send the letters based on date of acceptance through the grad school because even though the program is under the medical school, the grad school is essentially responsible for us. Therefore, you should receive your letter within the two weeks. Plus if your OASIS admissions status says you're accepted, no worries - you're really accepted into the program. congrats! See you in August? (granted you don't accept offers anywhere else and decide to attend USF MSMS)

omg Wait!!! So if under OASIS it says "Term: Fall 2012 College: Medicine Major: Medical Science Health Science Current Application Status: Admitted" That means I've gotten into the actual program, and not just into the graduate school? Like my secondary app has been approved and whatnot???

I just noticed that USF participates in the Academic Common Market (http://gradaffairs.health.usf.edu/academic_common_market.html). I am currently a Mississippi resident, and I don't believe there is a Master's of Science degree in Medical Sciences in the state...though there is a Medical Sciences program at Mississippi college...but the ultimate degree one would obtain is a MS in Biology. Does that count? I think in order to qualify under the ACM, it has to be a program that the individual's home state does not offer.

yea so 1 month from April 30th you should get the official letter

Does anyone know when we are supposed to sign up for classes?

omg Wait!!! So if under OASIS it says "Term: Fall 2012 College: Medicine Major: Medical Science Health Science Current Application Status: Admitted" That means I've gotten into the actual program, and not just into the graduate school? Like my secondary app has been approved and whatnot???

yes, if your OASIS application status says "Admitted" you're in :)

Any news on the IMS wait list? Today should be the big day but I haven't heard anything yet.

Any news on the IMS wait list? Today should be the big day but I haven't heard anything yet.

I GOT IN I GOT IN I GOT IN!!!
shaking right now. good luck to all of you who are still waiting and I can't wait to meet my future classmates :D:D:D:D

has anybody gotten there application review without test scores and gotten in the MSMS. i still waiting on my GRE. i wondering if i should just send everything else in

I GOT IN I GOT IN I GOT IN!!!
shaking right now. good luck to all of you who are still waiting and I can't wait to meet my future classmates :D:D:D:D

Congratulations, DrBaby! Looks like we both recieved acceptances today! :) I am soooo excited! I read the email after work around 7:15p. The acceptance came at 5:23p, a follow-up email came at 5:44p explaining I needed to notify them today May 18th, but that deadline would be extended to May 22nd. Needless to say, I rushed to respond by email and will send the commitment letter tomorrow. Do you think a fax will be appropriate? So much to do, so little time, I still have no idea where I'm going to live!

Awesome, congrats! I noticed the date mistake and emailed ms Shirley back asking her about it and then she sent out the follow up email. The only problem is that I am currently in Paris so I'm scrambling to find a place to print and sign the form. She said signing it then scanning it and emailing it to her would be just fine. Check the MSMS Facebook page to find roommates or advice on where to live. That's where I found mine :)
See you in a few weeks!

I just noticed that USF participates in the Academic Common Market (http://gradaffairs.health.usf.edu/academic_common_market.html). I am currently a Mississippi resident, and I don't believe there is a Master's of Science degree in Medical Sciences in the state...though there is a Medical Sciences program at Mississippi college...but the ultimate degree one would obtain is a MS in Biology. Does that count? I think in order to qualify under the ACM, it has to be a program that the individual's home state does not offer.

Definitely look into this. A friend of mine currently in the program did the same thing because he was from Tennessee. Tennessee did not offer the Masters in Medical Sciences either. Talk to Katie Carson about it.

Awesome, congrats! I noticed the date mistake and emailed ms Shirley back asking her about it and then she sent out the follow up email. The only problem is that I am currently in Paris so I'm scrambling to find a place to print and sign the form. She said signing it then scanning it and emailing it to her would be just fine. Check the MSMS Facebook page to find roommates or advice on where to live. That's where I found mine :)
See you in a few weeks!

Thank you, looking forward to meeting you! I notified Ms. Smith via email and took your advice to send the commitment letter via email too. I have not heard anything back yet but I am attributing that to the passing of the weekend. I wondered if you might have had any apprehensions about this statement from the notification letter, "[...] pending official acceptance for the Dean of Graduate Studies [...]." Given this was so short notice I spent the weekend notifying my full-time employer and I am now worried that I may have jumped the gun. I'm interested to hear what you think. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm sure it's fine. When I was accepted into the pre-professional track it said basically the same thing. I took it to mean that as long as you didn't fail all of your classes since you applied or didn't get a felony or something extreme then you're in. basically the grad school will double check that you're still eligible :)

I'm sure it's fine. When I was accepted into the pre-professional track it said basically the same thing. I took it to mean that as long as you didn't fail all of your classes since you applied or didn't get a felony or something extreme then you're in. basically the grad school will double check that you're still eligible :)

I wonder how long before we hear about orientation and the schedule?

I requested entry into this Facebook group. My Facebook handle is J Jack Gravel.

It turns out that there are two IMS facebook groups. This one has a few more people in it so you can try it too. http://www.facebook.com/groups/364512080252806/

I haven't heard anything official but it looks like in the past the summer class was Monday through Friday from about 8-12 or 8-1 but the schedule might be different this summer. Hopefully we will hear something soon because I want to register for a summer MCAT course.

Hi all, I don't think it's been specifically said here, but how much is the tuition for the MSMS program (pre-professional track)? I can't seem to find the exact value for the cost of attendance online...only the cost/cr hour.

Hi all, I don't think it's been specifically said here, but how much is the tuition for the MSMS program (pre-professional track)? I can't seem to find the exact value for the cost of attendance online...only the cost/cr hour.

I found some numbers by hunting around on my OASIS account. Sign in and then click Financial Aid and there is a link for "My Estimated Cost of Attendance." Mine says that Tuition & Fees are $19,760. I'm in the IMS track though, but I don't believe OASIS has switched to that so it's still thinking i'm Pre-Professional. Also, some of my stuff has my Florida residency status incorrect too, so check your own account for an exact number.

I found some numbers by hunting around on my OASIS account. Sign in and then click Financial Aid and there is a link for "My Estimated Cost of Attendance." Mine says that Tuition & Fees are $19,760. I'm in the IMS track though, but I don't believe OASIS has switched to that so it's still thinking i'm Pre-Professional. Also, some of my stuff has my Florida residency status incorrect too, so check your own account for an exact number.

Thanks for the information! My cost of attendance as an oos is approximately 35k. However, that includes living expenses and books. My tuition is also 19k or so. I'm hoping to reclassify my status as a temporary in-stater as a part of ACM. Does anyone know when we find out how much loans we are given after completing fafsa?