University of South Florida (USF) MD Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
May I ask how much you paid for it?

The unit itself was $1179. With extended warranty, taxes and shipping it ended up being $1489.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, after reading many threads in the Allopathic forum about the first two years of medical school, I was curious about what the students at USF COM thought?

Are the MS1 and MS2 years really mostly irrelevant to what we will be doing M3 and beyond?

Are the in-person, non-required lectures really that useless to our education?

Having recently broken up with a USF med student, I can say MS2 is important as that is where we learn the most disease pathology. I understand MS1 is mostly 'here is how everything works'.

I just have a few questions about the curriculum.

Are lectures able to viewed on the internet in video format after the lecture has been given?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

For those of you, who got loan....how did you decide on a lender? Maybe I'm misssing something, but I didn't see a lot of information on potential lenders.

Thanks.

Hi all,

For those of you, who got loan....how did you decide on a lender? Maybe I'm misssing something, but I didn't see a lot of information on potential lenders.

Thanks.

I think they give you two options. I don't even remember the names of the lenders. I asked the FA lady as to which one is the most popular among medical students and went with that one. Honestly, I cannot tell the difference between the two. To me it's as confusing as a learning Chinese. Just pick one and move on.

I understand what you mean about Chinese...with this whole dirty financial aid officers debacle being covered in the news lately, I don't even know who to trust or believe...anyhow, I don't see any two lenders suggested or provided in any of the material? All I see is a page that compares Stafford and Grad Plus loans v. ALP loans, but not specific lenders? I will call the financial aid office tomorrow, but does anyone know in the meantime?

I think they give you two options. I don't even remember the names of the lenders. I asked the FA lady as to which one is the most popular among medical students and went with that one. Honestly, I cannot tell the difference between the two. To me it's as confusing as a learning Chinese. Just pick one and move on.

They may give you two recommended options, but you can go with whatever lender you wish. I went with THE (Total Higher Education) and also considered Medloans from the AAMC. Shop around for the best deal and mix of features that you want as there is a lot of competition out there for our business, especially since we'll probably be borrowing $160k+ to goto USF COM (which thank God is pretty cheap nowadays).

Loans can always get confusing. I am a bit older and have had too many loans (mortgages) so I looked very closely at many options. Basically, not too many places are out to screw you too badly. If you go with one of the lenders given to you on the list from FA (a list of 5 or 6) they are all pretty good. As long as the lender is not chargin origination fees (which are legal) they seem to be about the same, more or less. The details are confusing, so if you are really interested in looking deeper, ask your parents or someone you know with a lot of information on loans.

Actually, I did call Nelnet becuase I had not dealt with government backed loans before. They were very helpful and did not push their product at all. So, I would recommend calling them 877.303.0531 (No, I don't work for them).

There is a list of a couple lenders in the FA packet they mail. I did however also call FA at school and they told me the two most popular lenders for the med students at USF are Medloans and THE. I ended up going with THE. I did not see much of a difference between any lender. The FA packet has a list of things that are important to compare when choosing a lender and I looked at those things between the different lenders. It is pretty hard to go wrong. Just make sure none charge you any fees (like origination).

I went with the MEDloans with Dollar Bank as my lender.

PS: got into USF a few weeks ago

Is anyone here planning on buying a parking permit tomorrow?

Is anyone here planning on buying a parking permit tomorrow?

New Parking System is Online: use the link below to sign-up and purchase your permit...
http://usfweb2.usf.edu/oasis/

Steps...
  • Click "Students Enter Here"
  • Click "OASIS Login" (Upper-Left Hand Corner)
  • Login with your Oasis account (Your "U" number and PIN)
  • Click "Student and Financial Aid"
  • Click "Use Parking Services (Tampa campus)"
  • Click "Submit" at the "Connect from OASIS to Tampa Parking Services" dialog
  • Who knows after this point as the system isn't working until Friday.

Edit: I previously gave the direct link meant only for USF staff and faculty. Students must go through OASIS as detailed above (same link as given in the Welcome Class of 2011 web page) to get the permit. Apparently students have to log in via OASIS to obtain a parking account #.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently parking services screwed up, and the parking passes are only available to faculty and staff for the time being.

"OASIS Portal to Parking Services is not yet available. We anticipate the portal being available on Friday 7/27/07. Please check back at that time."

As students, we have to go through OASIS to purchase a permit. These permits won't be available until this Friday. :sleep:

Apparently parking services screwed up, and the parking passes are only available to faculty and staff for the time being.

"OASIS Portal to Parking Services is not yet available. We anticipate the portal being available on Friday 7/27/07. Please check back at that time."

As students, we have to go through OASIS to purchase a permit. These permits won't be available until this Friday. :sleep:

That's so weird...they keep pushing the date back further and further. Anyhow, I guess it shouldn't make that much of a difference in terms of timing...it's not as if they stop giving out parking permits and/or are giving away assigned spots so that if we don't get the permits sooner than later we would be at a disadvantage.

That's so weird...they keep pushing the date back further and further. Anyhow, I guess it shouldn't make that much of a difference in terms of timing...it's not as if they stop giving out parking permits and/or are giving away assigned spots so that if we don't get the permits sooner than later we would be at a disadvantage.

Having dealt with several university's parking services, they'll have no mercy with giving us citations for parking without a permit regardless if it's their fault for not letting us purchase them. Guess we'll just have to feed the daily permit machine $4 each day until they get around to fixing the system. :laugh:

Having dealt with several university's parking services, they'll have no mercy with giving us citations for parking without a permit regardless if it's their fault for not letting us purchase them. Guess we'll just have to feed the daily permit machine $4 each day until they get around to fixing the system. :laugh:

Yes. I totally agree that university parking services are generally merciless. My comment about having to wait not making much of difference was with the hopeful assumption that the system would be up and running by the time school starts, but I see where you cynicism comes from.

On another note, a USF doctor made the news today, but not in a good way:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/24/AR2007072400446.html
Obviously, I don't think this will affect our education or the doctors we become in any way as medical mistakes are part of the practice, but I was reading the article and saw USF

probably a dumb question, but do you select medical student or commuter student when you create a parking account?

make sure you get the non-resident student pass, not the commuter student or other passes. our passes go from august to august whereas the other passes won't cover you during the summer.

good luck everyone

editing coz I had the terminology wrong!

make sure you get the medical student pass, not the commuter student or other passes. our passes go from august to august whereas the other passes won't cover you during the summer.

good luck everyone
Having been at USF for three years, I know that statement is incorrect. In fact my current Student pass expires on 8-12-07. All Yearly passes are good for one year. I think the med student was supposed to be listed as a medical resident pass which is a little less expensive.

Having been at USF for three years, I know that statement is incorrect. In fact my current Student pass expires on 8-12-07. All Yearly passes are good for one year. I think the med student was supposed to be listed as a medical resident pass which is a little less expensive.

hmm, really? maybe I'm confused about what the exact name of it is. I just remembered that they told us definitely NOT to get the commuter pass last year because it would not cover us in the summer. (I'm an MS2).

edit: I think it is called a "non-resident student" pass. all the lots we park in are non-resident lots (the resident lots being just for the students who live on campus).

Okay now I'm confused...whenever this parking services is up and running, I don't know what to put:

So medical student is bad because that really means resident pass???? This doesn't make any sense because they don't even offer on-campus housing to medical students.

And commuter student is somehow different than non-resident students???? Doesn't commuter student imply that you commute to/from school and home, hence, you don't live at school and are not a resident.

This is very confusing...everything seems counterintuitive.

from my experience as an undergrad there the parking lots are generally divided into resident parking (live at school), faculty parking, and non-resident parking (you dont live at school). The whole "medical student" parking is new to me, but you cant go wrong with getting a non-resident pass because the parking lots right next to the medical school and behind Moffitt are non resident parking.

When folks get their names embroidered on their white coat ceremony lab coats (per the AMSA email we just received) for $17, do they usually include their middle initial...like...

John H. Doe

...or do they just go with...

John Doe

...?

I just dropped off my laptop to IT. I also stopped by parking services office, but they would not sell me a "medical student" pass because from what I understood you can only purchase them through Oasis. I thought that was weird. Maybe they have to verify that we are in fact medical students.

Lifetime, I didn't get that email...:(...but my guess is that it is a matter of personal preference. I.E. how do you tend to sign your name and/or go by professionally.

OnMyWay, the parking services is getting a bit annoying...I logged on through Oasis when it was working on Tuesday for a whole 5 minutes. Anyhow, even through the Oasis login, it kicked me back to the request an parking account number. This parking person emails me today to tell me that I need to get my parking permit I need to login through Oasis when it works on Friday (supposedly)...Listen, I'm just following the wrong instructions that are given to me by your department and its system!

Okay now I'm confused...whenever this parking services is up and running, I don't know what to put:

here, from the welcome class of 2011:

A valid USF Parking Permit is required on all vehicles parked on campus. Follow the instructions outlined below to purchase a Non-resident Student Permit prior to August 13, 2007. If you are unable to secure your Non-resident Student Permit prior to August 13th, make sure you purchase a Visitor Permit on the morning of August 13th as explained below.

1. Non-resident Student Permit -These are available for on-line purchase after July 15, 2007, just log into the USF OASIS system (http://usfweb2.usf.edu/oasis/) and there is a link that brings you into your parking account. At the time of purchase you will have the option to either have your permit mailed to you, or held for pick up at the Parking and transportation Services Building (PTA) on West Holly Drive. Over-the-counter sales will not begin until August 15, 2007, so you are strongly advised to purchase your permit online prior to the start of school. The cost for an annual Commuter Student Permit is $151 plus tax.
2. Visitor Permit - These are available from the Parking Vending Machines located in Lot 19 (by Moffitt Child Care Center). The cost is $4.00/day

Note: Medical students should purchase annual permits, not semester permits. Annual permits are effective for a 12-month period from August 1, 2007 to August 10, 2008. The effective dates for the semester permits do not extend through the end of the MD curriculum in 2008. A semester permit would not allow you to park on campus during the final two to three weeks of school.

The Non-resident Student Permit allows you to park in any lot/garage designated "S". The closest lot to the medical school is Lot 32, which is located directly behind the USF Health Bookstore/Snack Bar. There are approximately 205 spaces in that lot designated "Student Only" parking. These spaces are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Overflow student parking is accommodated in Lot 19 (by the Moffitt Child Care Center) or in any Y designated lot. Lot 43 is the closest Y designated parking to USF Health.

When folks get their names embroidered on their white coat ceremony lab coats (per the AMSA email we just received) for $17, do they usually include their middle initial...like...

John H. Doe

John Doe

...?
I don't remember anyone having their middle initials on their coats but I also don't think anyone would think it odd if you decided to.

Lifetime, I didn't get that email...:(...but my guess is that it is a matter of personal preference. I.E. how do you tend to sign your name and/or go by professionally.

OnMyWay, the parking services is getting a bit annoying...I logged on through Oasis when it was working on Tuesday for a whole 5 minutes. Anyhow, even through the Oasis login, it kicked me back to the request an parking account number. This parking person emails me today to tell me that I need to get my parking permit I need to login through Oasis when it works on Friday (supposedly)...Listen, I'm just following the wrong instructions that are given to me by your department and its system!

They fixed the link and it now takes you to a message telling us to wait until Friday.

The email was being sent through our health email accounts. You'll need to get your hscnet account setup so you can access Outlook (either through Outlook on your computer or through any web browser and the Internet) and view the few emails our class and the school receives from time to time.

Per the Welcome Class of 2011 webpage...
USF Student ID Card & Computer Accounts
In order to access secure USF computer sites you must do the following:

1. apply for a USF Student ID Card [Find out your U-Number First]
2. apply for an HSCNet Computer Account (a.k.a Health account)
3. activate your USF NetID

The HSCNet accont is different than your USF NetID account. HSCNet is for logging onto the email and other health-related systems. The USF NetID account is for logging onto Blackboard. Your U-number is for logging into OASIS. Yeah, three different accounts to remember.

From inside Blackboard, you can see everyone in the class. Currently they show 121 people registered for our first class. We are all enrolled in the following courses...

Courses in which you are enrolled:
  • BMS5005.712M07: Profs of Med:Fndtns-Doctoring
  • BMS5007.712M07: The Profession of Medicine
  • BMS5190.716M07: Imaging for Anatomy
  • BMS6020.715M07: Medical Neuroscience
  • BMS6100.714M07: Anatomy
  • BMS6206.713M07: Molecular Medicine
  • BMS6206R.719M07: Molecular Medicine Remediation (Note: I hope this isn't a bad sign about our future performance in this class :lol:)
  • BMS6500.714M07: Physiology
  • BMS6821.713M07: Medical Ethics & Humanities
  • BMS6830A.717M07: Physical Diagnosis I
  • BMS6840.715M07: Intro to Behavioral Medicine
  • BMS6920.717M07: Colloquium - Years I & II
  • BMS6941.716M07: Longitudinal Clin Experience

They fixed the link and it now takes you to a message telling us to wait until Friday.

The email was being sent through our health email accounts. You'll need to get your hscnet account setup so you can access Outlook (either through Outlook on your computer or through any web browser and the Internet) and view the few emails our class and the school receives from time to time.

Per the Welcome Class of 2011 webpage...

The HSCNet accont is different than your USF NetID account. HSCNet is for logging onto the email and other health-related systems. The USF NetID account is for logging onto Blackboard. Your U-number is for logging into OASIS. Yeah, three different accounts to remember.

From inside Blackboard, you can see everyone in the class. Currently they show 121 people registered for our first class. We are all enrolled in the following courses...

Courses in which you are enrolled:
  • BMS5005.712M07: Profs of Med:Fndtns-Doctoring
  • BMS5007.712M07: The Profession of Medicine
  • BMS5190.716M07: Imaging for Anatomy
  • BMS6020.715M07: Medical Neuroscience
  • BMS713M07: Molecular Medicine
  • BMS6206.714M07: Anatomy
  • BMS6206R.719M07: Molecular Medicine Remediation (Note: I hope this isn't a bad sign about our future performance in this class :lol:)
  • BMS6500.714M07: Physiology
  • BMS6821.713M07: Medical Ethics & Humanities
  • BMS6830A.717M07: Physical Diagnosis I
  • BMS6840.715M07: Intro to Behavioral Medicine
  • BMS6920.717M07: Colloquium - Years I & II
  • BMS6941.716M07: Longitudinal Clin Experience

Lifetime, I do have a HSCNet Health email account and did check it yesterday, but didn't see anything. I will double-check again...if not, I'm write someone in the school an email to make sure I am on the right listservs.
All the different accounts can be a bit confusing...plus not to mention the number on your ID card v. your U id number.

121 people registered? The class is supposed to be 120, right? Maybe someone registered, then withdrew after being accepted to another school...and somehow the system didn't update.

Also, I had a question about our schedule...I see we are signed up for all those classes. But how do we find out, which class when...meaning which classes make up Block A v. Block B1?

Maybe going by lowest to highest numbers:
Block A: BMS5005.712M07: Profs of Med:Fndtns-Doctoring
BMS5007.712M07: The Profession of Medicine
Block B-1: BMS6100.713M07: Molecular Medicine
BMS6821.713M07: Medical Ethics & Humanities
Block B-2: BMS6206.714M07: Anatomy
BMS6500.714M07: Physiology
Block B-3: BMS6020.715M07: Medical Neuroscience
BMS6840.715M07: Intro to Behavioral Medicine
That still leaves:
BMS6941.716M07: Longitudinal Clin Experience
BMS5190.716M07: Imaging for Anatomy
BMS6830A.717M07: Physical Diagnosis I
BMS6920.717M07: Colloquium - Years I & II

Maybe these are year-long courses?

Don't know why I'm trying to figure this out...not like it makes any difference either, but just curious?

John H. Doe

John Doe

...?

Just checked again...no email from AMSA. BTW, what is AMSA?

121 people registered? The class is supposed to be 120, right? Maybe someone registered, then withdrew after being accepted to another school...and somehow the system didn't update.

Also, I had a question about our schedule...I see we are signed up for all those classes. But how do we find out, which class when...meaning which classes make up Block A v. Block B1?

Yeah, the number of students goes up and down as people drop out and people come in off the waitlist. It's been hovering between 117-121 for a few weeks now. It's pretty up to date as a friend of mine switched from USF to UF, and he was removed after a day or two.

I can't believe it's only a little over 2 weeks away until we start! :D

I can't believe it's only a little over 2 weeks away until we start! :D

That's what I am thinking. I am starting to have panic attacks. Hahaha
I am actually looking forward to it.

Does anyone have their parking account number? Its my understanding that you need a parking account number to purchase a permit, but getting the account number takes about a day to get processed. :confused:

I tried to get mine and somone emailed back that I should order my permit on Friday. So, no number? This is so lame.

Okay, I officially give up. I am going to use the mail in forms.

This is so ridiculous...I tried to get a parking permit this morning and, surprise, surprise, surprise...the system is down AGAIN...but we can check back on Monday...at which, they probably have a message to wait until Friday!

I have a dumb question...where did you all get your outstanding immunizations done? At your primary care doctor? Or at a clinic?

This is so ridiculous...I tried to get a parking permit this morning and, surprise, surprise, surprise...the system is down AGAIN...but we can check back on Monday...at which, they probably have a message to wait until Friday!

I have a dumb question...where did you all get your outstanding immunizations done? At your primary care doctor? Or at a clinic?

I went everywhere. At first USF was all "You're not a student anymore, pay $60 for the summer." So, I went to the neighborhood clinic. It was cheaper anyway. Then USF was all, "Oh, you're a medical student? Let's waive the $60." So, I got the chicken pox titer there. Then the county is the cheapest way to get the hep B vaccine, so that's where I went for that. But for simplicity, you can just go to the USF Health Services.

Just had a scare at the USF Bookstore Computer Store. I went in to go and purchase Office 2007 Enterprise for Students ($~88 + tax) and I told him I was a new student at USF COM, just to make sure I was getting the right version and all. He stood back and told me that I needed to get the particular laptop they recommended otherwise I wouldn't be able to take my exams. Whah?! :eek:

I re-read the USF COM website about computer policies, and brought my new laptop in to have it setup by Health IT. They didn't say anything about me having a Dell laptop different than the recommended model, so I guess I'm okay. That made me feel a lot better after having spent over $1000 for the one I have now. Anybody else get a scare like that from the bookstore?

I got my immunizations done at several places. The hospital where I volunteer gives us free Hepatitis-B (Hep B is the most expensive of them alll), so I got the first two doses there, as well as the influenza shot last fall. For the varicella titer and physical, I just went to UCF Health (my current university) to get that done as it was inexpensive. The MMR was done years ago.

For the Tdap, I made the mistake of going to the Lake County Health Department. I told them specifically that I needed Tdap and not the regular Tetanus booster because I was going to medical school where they wanted to boost our immunity against Pertussis since we'll be around sick children. The nurse took it upon himself to give me a Tetanus booster because he thought that only children get the Tdap, or for whatever reason. Now, I'll have to wait 2 years now to get the Tdap! Make sure they give you the right injection!

I got my immunizations done at several places. The hospital where I volunteer gives us free Hepatitis-B (Hep B is the most expensive of them alll), so I got the first two doses there, as well as the influenza shot last fall. For the varicella titer and physical, I just went to UCF Health (my current university) to get that done as it was inexpensive. The MMR was done years ago.

For the Tdap, I made the mistake of going to the Lake County Health Department. I told them specifically that I needed Tdap and not the regular Tetanus booster because I was going to medical school where they wanted to boost our immunity against Pertussis since we'll be around sick children. The nurse took it upon himself to give me a Tetanus booster because he thought that only children get the Tdap, or for whatever reason. Now, I'll have to wait 2 years now to get the Tdap! Make sure they give you the right injection!

They gave me the wrong Tetnus at the clinic. I guess we should have asked to see the vial first. But, hey what do we know?

I logged into the parking permit system through OASIS, and it is letting me purchase a permit now!:hardy:

How long did it take for you to get your parking account number? I still dont have mine. I need it to purchase the permit right?

How long did it take for you to get your parking account number? I still dont have mine. I need it to purchase the permit right?

Follow the steps below. You have to log into OASIS, then click through some links to get into the parking system the right way. It should be automatic if you go through OASIS.

New Parking System is Online: use the link below to sign-up and purchase your permit...
http://usfweb2.usf.edu/oasis/

Steps...
  • Click "Students Enter Here"
  • Click "OASIS Login" (Upper-Left Hand Corner)
  • Login with your Oasis account (Your "U" number and PIN)
  • Click "Student and Financial Aid"
  • Click "Use Parking Services (Tampa campus)"
  • Click "Submit" at the "Connect from OASIS to Tampa Parking Services" dialog
  • Follow the instructions in the parking system, should be straightforward.

Thanks!!! I got it to work :)

I logged into the parking permit system through OASIS, and it is letting me purchase a permit now!:hardy:

So, how much did it cost? And did you have an option as to what kind of permit? The non-resident is $155 +$6 tax

So, how much did it cost? And did you have an option as to what kind of permit? The non-resident is $155 +$6 tax

Finally got my parking permit too. It ended up being something like $161.
Thank for the info LifetimeDoc

So what was the point of knowing which lots were closes to the med school if we couldn't choose those particular lots at the time we purchased our permits? When does that info become important/ useful?

So what was the point of knowing which lots were closes to the med school if we couldn't choose those particular lots at the time we purchased our permits? When does that info become important/ useful?

I drove to school and parked in the student lot at the back of the medical school (actually in the 4 metered, 2-hour spaces they have there) yesterday, and the lot was about 90% full. Being that we'll have 120 more of us there in a couple of weeks, parking in that main student lot will be kinda tight. So, we'll have to use other parking lots sometimes.

I drove to school and parked in the student lot at the back of the medical school (actually in the 4 metered, 2-hour spaces they have there) yesterday, and the lot was about 90% full. Being that we'll have 120 more of us there in a couple of weeks, parking in that main student lot will be kinda tight. So, we'll have to use other parking lots sometimes.

The parking at USF is AWFUL. The hsc lot behind the med school fills up very quickly and you are hard pressed to find a space there or in the moffitt lot unless you are early.