University of South Florida (USF) MD Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The parking at USF is AWFUL. The hsc lot behind the med school fills up very quickly and you are hard pressed to find a space there or in the moffitt lot unless you are early.

I agree. It's particularly bad when you have LCE on a Tuesday morning then mandatory classes that you have to be at school for by 1 pm. The lots are usually all full and you have to park in the far lot and walk through what the students refer to as "Sherwood Forest" or the "Enchanted Forest". Nothing like arriving to school in your nice clinic clothes then having to walk through the woods then to the school in 100 degree heat. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I drove to school and parked in the student lot at the back of the medical school (actually in the 4 metered, 2-hour spaces they have there) yesterday, and the lot was about 90% full. Being that we'll have 120 more of us there in a couple of weeks, parking in that main student lot will be kinda tight. So, we'll have to use other parking lots sometimes.

I guess my confusion is that at my undergrad when we bought permits we purchased them for specific lots. We didnt buy generic "student decals." I guess at usf we have "commuter decals" that allow us to park in any commuter parking lot...right.?

I guess my confusion is that at my undergrad when we bought permits we purchased them for specific lots. We didnt buy generic "student decals." I guess at usf we have "commuter decals" that allow us to park in any commuter parking lot...right.?

I agree, the parking situation at USF is insulting to say the least, considering what they charge for a parking permit. I have complained to the student government before. It reminds me of that line:
"You are fooling yourself, we live in a dictatorship"

Members don't see this ad :)
We can park in any lot marked "S" on the map/signs or that are mixed-use, like the Moffitt Hope Lodge parking lot (Lot #19).

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just walk/bike to school as I live about 1 mile north-east of the school?

Non-Resident Parking Info: https://usfweb2.usf.edu/parking_services/nonresidentstudentparking.asp
Parking Map: https://usfweb2.usf.edu/parking_services/maps.asp

We can park in any lot marked "S" on the map/signs or that are mixed-use, like the Moffitt Hope Lodge parking lot (Lot #19).

I'm wondering if I shouldn't just walk/bike to school as I live about 1 mile north-east of the school?

Non-Resident Parking Info: https://usfweb2.usf.edu/parking_services/nonresidentstudentparking.asp
Parking Map: https://usfweb2.usf.edu/parking_services/maps.asp

Tampa, and the area around USF aren't terribly bike-friendly. Having said that, if you can cycle to school, you will be at such an advantage over the rest of us. I live in south Tampa, so this isn't an option :(

What's the best deal for internet access (higher speed than dialup) in Tampa? I don't plan on getting cable television (have more than enough DVDs, have Blockbuster subscription, and the Internet does everything else) or a land-line telephone (been totally cellular for 10 years now).

I scanned for open-access wireless in my apartment complex, and found one (used it a couple of times to check email) but don't want to use it except for emergencies. Anybody in the Hidden Palms apartment complex want to share some internet access? :D

What's the best deal for internet access (higher speed than dialup) in Tampa? I don't plan on getting cable television (have more than enough DVDs, have Blockbuster subscription, and the Internet does everything else) or a land-line telephone (been totally cellular for 10 years now).

I scanned for open-access wireless in my apartment complex, and found one (used it a couple of times to check email) but don't want to use it except for emergencies. Anybody in the Hidden Palms apartment complex want to share some internet access? :D

If you can get it, we have Verizon FIOS fiber optic in the area. Otherwise, have you considered cellular service?

Also, where you are living, you may ne able to catch a bus to school. All buses are free to USF students.

Here is another radical idea. Offer to pay for you neighbor to get high speed internet. Then they get free internet, and you don't need to pay for cable!

If you can get it, we have Verizon FIOS fiber optic in the area. Otherwise, have you considered cellular service?

Also, where you are living, you may ne able to catch a bus to school. All buses are free to USF students.

I do hookup my cellphone to my laptop to get temporary EVDO high-speed cellular service, but I can only do that when I'm not on the phone. I've considered getting cellular access dedicated for my laptop, but I also want to share it with my other computer in my apartment without a lot of fuss.

How much is basic FIOS service? Is it available everywhere in Tampa, or just those apartment complexes that installed the fiber?

I'd rather not have to get cable along with roadrunner, or phone with DSL as I believe they force you to get basic services to also get the internet connection.

Bright House has a discount for USF students also. It's the Road Runner internet-$34.95 a month. You don't have to get cable TV with it or anything but just keep an eye on your bill because they will sneak that price up. Mine went all the way up to $44.95 (I had automatic bill pay). It's back down to the original price now but I have to watch it every month.

If you are a computer techie-type person, you can setup everything you need on your laptop without bringing it into USF Health IT. I was able to install and configure everything we need at school via downloads and how-to-guides from the USF Health IT website.

• Pretty much all the information to do all this is in the form of How-To-Guides you can view here: http://health.usf.edu/is/how_to_guide/index.htm
  • Office 2007 Enterprise: purchase the student ~$90 version from the USF bookstore computer store.
  • Get your hscnet account first. You'll need it to do everything below.
  • McAfee Antivirus: http://health.usf.edu/is/download/index.htm
  • SecuRemote VPN: get it here... http://www.checkpoint.com/downloads/quicklinks/eula_sr.html (note: the USF IT page doesn't have the Windows Vista version, but you can get it at that link). Follow the directions in the how-to-guide link called "Updating the Windows 2000/XP SecuRemote HSCHIPAA Site Information"
  • Configure Outlook 2007: connect to COMEXCHANGE.hscnet.hsc.usf.edu
  • G Drive: map the G drive to \\131.247.67.246\groups (make sure you are connected to the VPN)
  • H Drive: map the H drive to \\131.247.70.26\users\yourhscnetusername (whatever your username is, make sure you are connected to the VPN)
  • Turning vPad 2006 "Clicker" Software: http://health.usf.edu/is/download/index.htm
  • Wireless: just go on the medical school campus and connect to "HSC-PT1".

I took my computer into IT thinking that they'd have additional things to configure on my laptop, but all they did was add their own administrator account in case I drop off the laptop again for service. They said everything was installed as if they had done it.

If you are not sure what to do or feel uncomfortable doing this yourself, by all means turn your computer into IT to be configured. They are very friendly and knowledgeable, and there to help us out! But if you are like me and don't like people messing with your computer, it can be done by yourself with some work.

P.S. if anyone has a PDA or smartphone, you can have it connect to the USF servers to automatically allow you to access your USF email, calendar, tasks, and contacts without a laptop. Send me a PM and I can get you the information to set it up.

LifetimeDoc, thanks for the brief. I had most of it but did not know about the Keypad and networked drives.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is basic FIOS service? Is it available everywhere in Tampa, or just those apartment complexes that installed the fiber?

I'd rather not have to get cable along with roadrunner, or phone with DSL as I believe they force you to get basic services to also get the internet connection.

I meant to answer this question but flaked out. There is a special running with Verizon right now-I think it was something like $79.95 for the internet/phone/cable package but after 12 months jacks up to something like $129 or something.

Fios isn't offered everywhere yet. For example, in my old apartment complex near school, only BrightHouse was available. Here in my neighborhood in South Tampa, though, they just installed the fiber last week. Good luck with everything!

I meant to answer this question but flaked out. There is a special running with Verizon right now-I think it was something like $79.95 for the internet/phone/cable package but after 12 months jacks up to something like $129 or something.

Fios isn't offered everywhere yet. For example, in my old apartment complex near school, only BrightHouse was available. Here in my neighborhood in South Tampa, though, they just installed the fiber last week. Good luck with everything!

I checked with Verizon, and they don't have fiber at my apartment complex. Looks like I'll be going with the student special with Brighthouse. I just hope it's not their lite cable package at 0.75mbps but is their standard 7.0mbps package.

Does anyone know when the school will be dispersing financial aid money? Can I expect to get a check from them the first day of class? Also, does USF do direct deposit of any kind?

Does anyone know when the school will be dispersing financial aid money? Can I expect to get a check from them the first day of class? Also, does USF do direct deposit of any kind?

I was told we would get the first check Aug. 13th (first day we are there). I don't know about direct deposit though. You can always call financial aid, they are really helpful.

I was told we would get the first check Aug. 13th (first day we are there). I don't know about direct deposit though. You can always call financial aid, they are really helpful.

So they'll be taking out the tuition from the check first? So may plans of getting % cash back by charging my tuition to my credit card won't pan out? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I hope there are no kinks, and we get the checks soon. Between rent, 12-pac stuff ordering, moving, and other stuff...I'm strapped.

So they'll be taking out the tuition from the check first? So may plans of getting % cash back by charging my tuition to my credit card won't pan out? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

I hope there are no kinks, and we get the checks soon. Between rent, 12-pac stuff ordering, moving, and other stuff...I'm strapped.

I don't know if they take out the tuition right away. I assume they do since that makes the most sense. I didn't even have enough money to buy anything from 12-pac :(. I will have to get scrubs and a lab coat at least, but I have some time before Anatomy starts to get it.

I don't know if they take out the tuition right away. I assume they do since that makes the most sense. I didn't even have enough money to buy anything from 12-pac :(. I will have to get scrubs and a lab coat at least, but I have some time before Anatomy starts to get it.

Don't feel bad soccer. Right now I am terribly broke. I just had to max out my credit card to purchase supplies. Glad to have 0% interest right now...

We won't need these until November, according to 12PAC

I'm surprised they don't make the deadline for ordering August 17th so that those of us on student loans would have the cash to put down for the order.

Is it really true that the gross anatomy practicals are multiple-choice?

I'm going to order mine elsewhere. Scrubs can be found online for $5 per piece. Though I might spend the exta couple bucks and get tall sized. Maybe if we band together we can get a discount or at least free shipping!

Lifetime, I have no idea about the gross anatomy practicals...I'm still trying to figure out the schedule for our first two weeks of class. I need to make a few doctors appointments and have no idea what time of day to schedule those for...anyway, you seem to have so much inside information. How do you find all this out?

Lifetime, I have no idea about the gross anatomy practicals...I'm still trying to figure out the schedule for our first two weeks of class. I need to make a few doctors appointments and have no idea what time of day to schedule those for...anyway, you seem to have so much inside information. How do you find all this out?

Just reading the "First Year Survival Guide" from the 12-pac website, and from an anatomy professor at my current school that talks infrequently to some prior and current USF COM students. He wasn't 100% sure that they were multiple choice, but I'm unclear as to whether they are from reading the survival guide. If so, that would make gross pretty easy. :)

As for the first couple of weeks, August 13th-31st, we're scheduled solid 8am-5pm for the first 3 weeks. They said that it was imperative that we finish acclimating and running errands before the 13th. (Per the "Welcome Class of 2011" website)

I plan on living permanently in Tampa starting August 8th. For now I'm driving back and forth from the Orlando area to move and to run errands around Tampa.

Isn't that slot filled with the LCE "shadowing" later on?

You go to LCE once a week. There are three days, Tuesday morning, Thursday afternoon, or Friday afternoons. If you don't have LCE Friday afternoon, then you have half the day off. I just talked to a friend of mine who is a second year and she explained this all to me.

You go to LCE once a week. There are three days, Tuesday morning, Thursday afternoon, or Friday afternoons. If you don't have LCE Friday afternoon, then you have half the day off. I just talked to a friend of mine who is a second year and she explained this all to me.

So if your LCE conflicts with class, you just skip class?

So if your LCE conflicts with class, you just skip class?

My understanding is that there wont be any conflicts. My friend told me that LCE won't start for a couple of months or so. My guess is the second block. There are some things that we do where there is built in time to our schedule. Like for histology, my friend said they build in like 3 hours for you to sit at your desk in the histo lab and look at slides. I am assuming that some of these things will be assigned to people on a Tuesday morning or Thursday afternoon, depending on your LCE schedule. I don't know for sure because I didn't go into that much detail with it. I am assuming they do something along those lines because the classes and LCE wont conflict. My friend did tell me that nothing is scheduled Friday afternoons, but some people have LCE. She thought it would be better to have LCE on Tuesday or Thursday that way you can have Friday afternoon off. I can ask her more specific questions about it if you would like, but she leaves for vacation tomorrow. Just let me know!

A quick Google search on "PHT 6284 USF" reveals "PHT 6284 Physical Therapy Science 1". Not sure if that is a class that we take, or if it is shown to illustrate classes that the PT students take.

Thanks I was looking all through the USF website but could not find it anywhere.

That would make the most sense but that's not how USFCOM does it. They'll give you your whole check and you have to then write a check to them for your tuition. They don't do direct deposit either. One snag a lot of us have run across is the banks often try to put a "hold" on the funds so you can't access them for 5 business days or even longer sometimes. You can usually avoid this by not being the first one to bring your check in to the bank the day the checks come out because by the 4th or 5th person, the bank goes OHHH these are legitimate student loan checks and won't put a hold on the money. If you are the unlucky soul who gets a hold on your funds, go to financial aid-they will write you a letter saying you have an extra week or however long it will take, to pay your tuition.

As for scrubs and such-there are a couple of places around school that you can get scrubs from. Wal Mart also sells them.

A quick Google search on "PHT 6284 USF" reveals "PHT 6284 Physical Therapy Science 1". Not sure if that is a class that we take, or if it is shown to illustrate classes that the PT students take.

Med Students dont take the PHT courses. I wish you all well.

Is there any downside to getting a Littman Cardiology III stethoscope at this point? Will there be an opportunity to get a good deal on campus (like free or deeply discounted?), or is the price pretty much the same everywhere? If it's going to be around $145 today or next month, I'd rather just get it purchased now instead of waiting, or do we not need it until next year? I understand that we don't need to get the otoscope or opthalmoscope at any point during medical school. Is this true?

Is there any downside to getting a Littman Cardiology III stethoscope at this point? Will there be an opportunity to get a good deal on campus (like free or deeply discounted?), or is the price pretty much the same everywhere? If it's going to be around $145 today or next month, I'd rather just get it purchased now instead of waiting, or do we not need it until next year? I understand that we don't need to get the otoscope or opthalmoscope at any point during medical school. Is this true?

I think it is a very nice thing to have for LCE as you will be allowed to do basics and history.I've heard from a cardiologist the Littmans are all 'crap'. But he does tend to go overboard sometimes. Luckily, my brother got me a 'scope already (Metacardia) and it is super swanky.

Lifetime, I don't know if you already found the answer, but a second year at USF just confirmed that anatomy practicals are indeed multiple choice.

mmmm, our courses in Blackboard just jumped from 121 students to 151 students. I guess there are 30 PT students that will be taking the same courses with us over the next two years? I don't remember, but how many people fit into the classroom?

i was just thinking about aug 13 today and realized I had no idea what to bring with me that day (even if i should bring a backpack). what is everyone bringing to orientation?

I am bringing a check book :(. Other then that I have no idea!

I am bringing a check book :(. Other then that I have no idea!

Yeah, our checking accounts are going to be red hot after this is all over! :laugh:

I plan on bringing a backpack with my laptop, a pad of paper, a pen or two, various bits of paperwork (all the stuff we've filled out for USF such as immunizations, receipts for my laptop, student loan, proof of current medical insurance, etc.), my checkbook, my wallet with identification and stuff, and that's about it.

So exactly what will we be needing to buy during orientation? Between moving expenses, rent, and getting my place furnished I'm just about tapped out. :( Oh Soccer I feel your pain.

BTW: 12pac is accepting money up until tomorrow. Just take your order forms and $$$ to student affairs and they will handle it from there. All I ordered was the class t-shirt, the FREE fun run t-shirt, and the PD kit. That's all we really need at this point I think.

What medical insurance will the school be offering? Anyway to get details? I just found out this morning that I'm going to be losing my current coverage, so I need to find out alternatives quickly.

I'm confused...what do we need to buy during orientation?:confused:

They told us to bring a checkbook. We will need to buy our disability insurance, and health insurance if you don't have it. Plus who knows what!