University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deciding?

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone planning on attending USF next year? Do any current students have anything positive or negative to say about the school? I don't want to get into a put down contest of other Florida state schools, I have already had interviews at UM and UF but I am more interested in USF. I would like to see USF become a great nationally recognized program, which is one of my concerns. I am particularly interested in hearing about how people feel about going into residencies from USF, the longitudinal clinical experiences in year 1 and 2, Judeo Christian clinic, views of students with primary care interests, international rotations, rural rotations, the class atmosphere etc...
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

deciding? said:
Anyone planning on attending USF next year? Do any current students have anything positive or negative to say about the school? I don't want to get into a put down contest of other Florida state schools, I have already had interviews at UM and UF but I am more interested in USF. I would like to see USF become a great nationally recognized program, which is one of my concerns. I am particularly interested in hearing about how people feel about going into residencies from USF, the longitudinal clinical experiences in year 1 and 2, Judeo Christian clinic, views of students with primary care interests, international rotations, rural rotations, the class atmosphere etc...
Thanks
Here's the link to the first USF thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=239811 Not sure you'll find much useful there, though.

deciding? said:
Thanks

I'm a 2nd year at USF. Here are my brief thoughts on your questions.

LCE is AWESOME and one of the best things about USF in my experience. You get a constant level of exposure to real medicine and depending on your preceptor, get to actually do some really cool things for a med student (close up surgeries, help deliver a baby). Then again, you might get stuck with someone who either can't or won't let you do that much. In any case the exposure to different fields is great.

JC clinic is great because you get just more exposure with patients which helps with your comfort level.

Class atmosphere honestly varies between classes. My class the faculty and administration LOVE. The class ahead of me not so much... Overall though there is a strong sense of togetherness I think and most people are willing to help each other out on a regular basis.

Overall USF will give you a solid education. I tell everyone who asks me what I like best about USF that the clinical experience you get is a lot and it is pretty much all throughout your first 2 years.

i'm one of this guy's classmates, and I agree with what most of he says. although it should be emphasized that LCE can be hit or miss - if you get a good preceptor it's awesome, but not so much if your preceptor is a putz. but overall it's a good experience, although if you get placed far away from the usf campus it can be a lot of time and money spent in the car.

JC clinic is solid - you actually practice medicine. there's a similar clinic in brandon which is arguably better if you don't speak Spanish because many of the JC clinic patients speak Spanish only, and taking a history is even harder with a language barrier.

i don't know too much about rural or international rotations, other than to say there is currently about 5 or 6 months of elective time built into MSIV.

he's right about class atmosphere - for the most part we get along fairly well with each other, and the faculty do freakin' love our class - i think it's because we tend to be very engaged during lectures and ask a lot of questions, so the faculty don't get bored at the podium.

just to keep it balanced, one negative is that the parking situation on campus sucks. it's quite a pain at times having to walk 10 minutes in 90 degree heat to get from where you had to park to the classroom or clinic. then again I know at UF there isn't even any student parking at Shands, but the on campus bus system at UF is so good that's OK - at USF we're kinda isolated from the undergrads and most of us med students rarely use the on campus buses.
mikedc813 said:
I'm a 2nd year at USF. Here are my brief thoughts on your questions.

LCE is AWESOME and one of the best things about USF in my experience. You get a constant level of exposure to real medicine and depending on your preceptor, get to actually do some really cool things for a med student (close up surgeries, help deliver a baby). Then again, you might get stuck with someone who either can't or won't let you do that much. In any case the exposure to different fields is great.

JC clinic is great because you get just more exposure with patients which helps with your comfort level.

Class atmosphere honestly varies between classes. My class the faculty and administration LOVE. The class ahead of me not so much... Overall though there is a strong sense of togetherness I think and most people are willing to help each other out on a regular basis.

Overall USF will give you a solid education. I tell everyone who asks me what I like best about USF that the clinical experience you get is a lot and it is pretty much all throughout your first 2 years.