University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
From talking to attendings at my home program, it seems USF is still stigmatized from the chairman incident five years ago. I think most of the faculty from that era has returned. Phacos number is above average. I think retina and laser experience are strong there. Residents seemed happy - collegial atmosphere. Some negatives include very weak peds (onlt 5-10 cases/resident), no lasik certification (or plans in the near future - it's a gauge of a program's progression). My overall impression was that it would be a good program for you if you want to go into comprehensive ophtho.

What happened with the chairman a few years ago? does this translate into the fellowship for glaucoma?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can provide some detail regarding this program since I interviewed at this program, was pleasantly surprised

Pro's
- Number of cataracts - 140+
- 4 residents per year
-Residents seem very happy, especially since you cant beat the weather in tampa
training sites at the VA eye clinic (huge off site new clinic with all lasers, and full time attendings in all subspecialties that we toured at), USF eye clinic (private clinic, with full time faculty in all subspecialties), and tampa general hospital (community hospital with all trauma exposure)
- Call is front loaded and heavy, home call, and residents were honest that its pretty busy (q8 for couple months, and q4 during first yr) back up call second and third year
- heavy on plastics surgery exposure, and lasers, and cataract, and retina
- do not share any of the facilities with any other program (huge plus, tampa is large city and they dont split with another program)
- they have a full time ocular pathologist
- diverse amount of pathology and one of few programs with large community hospital, large VA eye clinic, and private clinic

Cons
- weak in glaucoma, and peds (no childrens hospital)
- no national recognition
- hospitals located within 20 miles from each other could mean driving around during call
- not a research heavy program
- structured didactics, but residents re-iterated that studying is usually independent and resident driven
- cataract surgeries start towards second half of second year and all third year

Overall
this program is solid middle tier clinical program, that has been chastised for the doings of its previous chairman. They have made a lot of improvements and seems to be on stable footing, fully accredited, happy residents, and decent clinical and surgical training

Any more input on this program from residents or other applicants?

I've met someone who was a resident here recently. For what it's worth, he came out well trained clinically and surgically and he was happy with his training.

Reactions: 1 users
Notes from interview:
Pros:
- Tampa was gorgeous
- Residents seemed very happy, very laid back. Attending interviews also very relaxed
- Only show in town
- Stand alone eye center and VA eye center
- Well coordinated wet lab curriculum
- All specialties represented

Cons:
- Seems to lack name recognition, not sure why
- Hospitals 15 mins apart

Reactions: 1 user