University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm pretty set on going to USF at this point. I'll be withdrawing from NYMC. The only school that might make it tough for me to decide is if I get an offer from Cincinnati, but I think I would lean toward USF because of the tuition, the weather, being close to family, and because of the awesome 2003 residency match list that USF recently had.

Good luck to all those still waiting. I have a feeling that the waitlist is going to continue to move at this rate for at least a couple of more weeks. Hope you hear something soon, especially you Allygator89!

Members don't see this ad.

Allygator89, you will get in. I got into Wake Forest, so I won't be waiting around for USF to get to my name. I am going to withdraw from the list on Tuesday, so good luck!!

Solid Gold-
How can there even be a fraction of a doubt in your mind about where to go??

Cinci? Please:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by lil pook
Solid Gold-
How can there even be a fraction of a doubt in your mind about where to go??

Cinci? Please:rolleyes:

:)

I might as well admit that USF is where I'm going to go regardless of what happens. I think there was a part of me that wanted to be objective because there was some regret about where I went to college, looking back on things. I loved University of Miami, but I always wondered how things would have turned out if I went elsewhere for college. Cinci was the only school that gave me the same kind of feeling that USF gave me out of the schools I interviewed at. Cinci is a great school, but USF rocks!

Yep. It sure does, and you are lucky as hell. I'll be applying this year. Hopefully I'll see ya there.:p

Thanks for all the support guys, and I am so happy that SolidGold and JS were accepted!

Solid,

I am sorry we won't be classmates at Cincinnati, but congrats and good luck to you at South Florida.

Honestly, if you want to switch states at any time, you let me know. I'd go to Florida anytime, I love it there. Too bad I'm not a resident.

Good luck, again.

DukeBluDevl02

Thanks Duke, good luck to you too at UC. Staying in FL will be sweet, but Cinci is a damn fine school and my decision would be tougher than I have expressed if I were to get the offer from UC. I know that I won't regret choosing USF though, I really feel that I'm going to be happy there.

Originally posted by SolidGold
I'm pretty set on going to USF at this point.

Congrats SolidGold!! See your hard work payed off, you got to choose USF.:) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that the waitlist is still moving. I got the call today before I had a chance to send my withdrawal letter. Mr. Larkin did not ask if I would be attending, he just said to expect a letter in the mail. I will be declining, though. Hope an SDNer gets my spot. Good luck!

Congrats! Can you "will" your spot to me please???????????? Ask Mr. Larkin if you can pass it down to someone that is SOOOO close on the waitlist, but yet so far away!

Allygator89, you WILL get in!!!

When I talked to Mr. Larkin after my interview, he made it seem as though I had no chance of getting off of the waitlist. Oh, how things change. The waitlist is cranking, and I just know that he is going to get to you. I am going to will you my spot. Good luck!

Hang in there Allygator89! USF's waitlist usually moves the most until June 15. There seems to be lots of movement lately and I'm positive that USF will pull through for you. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
When I talked to Mr. Larkin after my interview, he made it seem as though I had no chance of getting off of the waitlist. Oh, how things change.

Hehe, they do change indeed. After my interview I was told that I had a pretty good shot, but that I might not hear anything until May or June. But then after all the interviews had concluded, I was basically told that I had no realistic chance.

Congratulations to those accepted! I was especially pulling for you, SolidGold. Allygator, the list does seem to be moving right along, and I have high hopes that you will be getting that call soon. Maybe next year you can show me the ropes ;)

If I get the call, I will definitely show you the ropes!

Hey guys.

I spoke with Mr. Larkin today and withdrew my spot at USF. He was classy, as expected. What a great guy! Allygator89...hope you get the call soon!!

Hi,

If anybody has the current budget info, can you please post it? I need to make up my mind this week. Thanks guys.

Josh

Originally posted by cocoabutter
Hey guys.

I spoke with Mr. Larkin today and withdrew my spot at USF. He was classy, as expected. What a great guy! Allygator89...hope you get the call soon!!

Thanks for the support! I'll let you know as soon as I do!

I don't know if this is what you meant, JScrusader, but the "total cost of attendance" figure I've got on my fin aid info reads "30,990.00"--hope this helps.

Congrats on getting in Burn....

You gonna go? :)

Spoke with Mr. Larkin this past week and I was offered a spot, however I turned it down b/c I am in at one of my top choices. I'm gonna miss talking to Mr. Larkin, probably one of the most honest and classiest people throughout this whole crazy process. Best of luck to all of those who are waiting for a spot at USF, it's a great school.

-Bones

-----------------------------------------
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Class of 2007

I'll be there with bells on! As a kind of "local," I knew that I wanted to attend USF and applied Early Decision. :cool:

Hey Burn, since you are a local of Tampa, were do you suggest I look for an apartment? I'm looking at the Tampa Palms area because thats were I hear the majority of the students live and because its in a great area. Are you getting a place thats on the USF Class of 2006 12 PAC apartment guide?

Since I recently got in I did not get the packet from the Student Affairs office yet, only the financial aid application packet. When does orientation start?

Allygator89, I'm still crossing my fingers for you and I really hope you get the call from Mr. Larkin soon.

Hey SG,
I did an internship at USF one semester and stayed at "The Remington". They are really nice apartments and less than a mile from the med school. Very decent prices too....I think it was around $530 for a two bedroom (gated community). Check it out if you wanna. I could see the Busch Gardens roller coaster from my bedroom window.

Thanks birdie, I'm going up to Tampa on Monday for apartment hunting and its on my list of places to check out. Its good to hear that someone had a good experience there. The prices at The Remington sound great.

I just wanted to give some advice on apartments for first year. Most students stay in the tampa palms area which is north on bruce b downs blvd about 5 minutes from campus. It is a very nice area but can be somewhat pricey. If you head further north on bruce b downs, there are apartments as nice as tampa palms but without the extra cost. The only problem is there is traffic in the morning. I leave at about 7:20am to make it to class for 8:00am. For me the traffic was not that big of a deal. What was more important was getting an apartment that was in a great, safe area for less than tampa palms. Secondly, I would not reccommend living right around campus. This area has a very high crime rate and many students' cars have been broken in to. I would stay north of bears ave. I would also avoid living south of campus because this also is not a great area. I would be glad to answer any specific questions you might have.

Thanks for the info usfgator. Looks like I'm going to cross The Remington off my list because it is in the high crime area near the campus. I have a car that is consistently one of the most broken into cars in the US, so I want to aviod getting it broken into (again). Tampa Palms looks like the area I'm most interested in now and there seems to be a large selection of apartments in that area. I've commuted to school with lots of traffic for the past few years so I don't mind the traffic so much.

How far is Bears Ave north on Bruce B. Downs? I'm interested in a few places just off of Bruce B. Downs to the north of the campus but if I can go further north for lower rent, I will.

Bears ave is two stop lights north past fletcher ave. It is less than a minute away from campus. The main places to avoid are along fletcher ave and bears ave. Now there are alot of apartments east of bruce b downs blvd in between fletcher ave. I would avoid those apartments because of the high crime rate. Once you pass bears ave, the neighborhood gets better. There are numerous places along bruce b downs that are very nice. Those that fall within tampa palms can be expensive especially if you do not have a roomate. I would check out further north of bruce b downs past tampa palms only because the apartments are very nice and cheaper. The area is brand new and recently has opened up many restaurants and stores. Also there are some apartments that are past bears ave but not yet in tampa palms. You can check those out and see what type of feeling you get. Some students live in those but it still is right on the border of the higher crime area. Every now and then crime might find its way to those apartments. This is just my opinion and i am sure others have lived in these places without any problems. Personally I would only live in tampa palms and further north into New Tampa.

I know that you have to sign up for a financial aid entrance interview on either Thursday, Aug 7, or Friday, Aug 8. Orientation starts the following Monday, Aug. 11. The only information they've given is to expect to be in school from 8-5, Monday to Friday, for the first 3 weeks. I guess the good stuff starts after the white coat ceremony Aug 29.

There's a lot of health stuff you might have to do if you haven't already (get a physical, fill out a 135-question health history, get a TB test, and get proof of vaccine/titers of MMR, varicella, hepatitis B, tetanus/diphtheria, hepatitis A, and polio)--none of which is free. Luckily, I had to do this for school before and I only need hepatitis A, which my hospital (workplace) won't do for free. Sheesh.

Did you get the e-mail from Mr. Larkin last week about the apartment update? It looked pretty comprehensive to me. I'm just a local by way of the next county, from where I'll be commuting. However, I agree with the poster above that going more toward New Tampa would probably be the safest bet.

Originally posted by Burn

There's a lot of health stuff you might have to do if you haven't already (get a physical, fill out a 135-question health history, get a TB test, and get proof of vaccine/titers of MMR, varicella, hepatitis B, tetanus/diphtheria, hepatitis A, and polio)--none of which is free. Luckily, I had to do this for school before and I only need hepatitis A, which my hospital (workplace) won't do for free. Sheesh.

Is all of this (including that 135 question health history) in the packet from the Student Affairs Office? I still have not gotten this info, but it looks like I'm going to need to get all of it done since its been a while since I've had any of these done.

I did get the e-mail from Mr. Larkin with the updated apartment info and I'm using that as my guide for places to check out. The majority of the ones listed there that were recommended are places located in the Tampa Palms area.

I only stayed in tampa for three-four months, but I really didn't feel unsafe at all staying close to campus. In fact, I am shocked to hear that it is a high crime area. But I am not a local, so take this with a grain of salt. My apartment was even all the way in the corner of the complex and upstairs, so my parents were kinda freaking about letting me stay there. And I was driving a new honda civic, which is supposedly the most highly broken into car in america, but experienced no problems. I did however notice some low quality neighbors around there (ppl that were just bums walkin around and drinking) and sometimes felt uncomfortable being around them.
I have one advice for those heading to usf: DON'T EVER PARK WITHOUT A DECAL! They will ticket you even if you are out for only ten minutes. The campus police is very keen to ticketing I noticed. Even when I parked in the patient parking they noticed. Gosh, I hate those damn usf cops!

Yep, it's all in your student affairs packet. Actually, I was kind of surprised at the relative paucity of info they wanted. When I went to nursing school, I had a 5-page physical exam, an affidavit that I had to have notarized attesting to my character (geez), and an FDLE background check, which was like $35 at the time (I think there were 2 actually, one state and one federal). I also had all of the vaccines/titers above--I had to get another MMR because I had no documentation of a second one ($45 at the health dept.). I keep mentioning the costs because I remember being so shocked at the money I had to lay out just to go to the first day of school, even though I cheaped out and got a lot of stuff done at my hospital.

So, start looking NOW for those old pieces of paper showing you "been stuck," or you'll end up getting stuck with a lot of needles and bills. One titer cost me $80 and that was years ago. :)

I found a place to live today in the Tampa Palms area. They had a special promotion today and tomorrow that if I sign the lease before July 20, they would knock off $110 off the regular monthly rent (or so they claim) and give me $200 off the first month. It was too good to pass up and the apartment available was in a great spot of the complex. I decided that I would try out living on my own for the first year to see how that works out since my roomate experiences have not been the greatest in the past. It will be nice to finally have a place entirely to myself.

You guys were right about getting a place north of Bearss Ave because the places near the campus look pretty scary, though passing by The Remington did not look too bad but the area around it looked shady.

I did not remember the University Community Hospital being so "old" and kind of run down and I'm glad that USF has no real affiliation with that place. Just to remind myself how sweet Tampa General and the surrounding buildings were like Life Link, I swung pass there on the way back to Miami. Having all that right on the bay is sweet and I can't wait to get my hands dirty in there. I'm also definetly moving downtown for the 3rd and 4th year. Does anyone know the prices in that area?

I have to get all my shots and my physical done ASAP before my current health insurance from work expires when I quit. Hopefully the insurance I have will pick up the tab for most of the costs. I never had to get shots for school, University of Miami did not require immunizations until 2 years after I started and I have not had a physical in a couple of years. Just thinking about all the money I have to spend in the next months is driving me crazy and I don't want to have to spend hundreds on dinky little shots, even though they will be important.

To those going to USFCOM, if you are interested in getting a high speed internet connection for your residence that the school seems to think is required, then you should check out Road Runner Cable internet, like they suggest. As USF students we get $10 off the service per month (comes out to $34.99) with free installation. To get the discount, we need to have our USF ID's. I'm getting it because I can't live without a fast internet connection at home, but I guess it would come in handy for the Blackboard stuff the medical students use.

I got the call! Whohoo!

Congrats allygator, I think that you got my spot that I gave up not too long ago! USF is a great school. Hope everyone enjoys it there!

I'm bound for the wild wild west.. :)

Congrats, Allygator89! I knew that you were going to get in. So are you definitely going, or do you have other schools in mind?

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
Congrats allygator, I think that you got my spot that I gave up not too long ago! USF is a great school. Hope everyone enjoys it there!

I'm bound for the wild wild west.. :)
Blitz, where are ya going? :)

Originally posted by cocoabutter
Congrats, Allygator89! I knew that you were going to get in. So are you definitely going, or do you have other schools in mind?

I think I am definitely going there! Thank you for all who gave up their spots. I will probably withdraw my spot from Jeff later next week....

Originally posted by lady bug
Blitz, where are ya going? :)

Fading into the CA sunset, never to be heard from again....Loma Linda, here I come...... :)

Thanks Joe Joe!

If anyone has any names of apartment complexes that they looked at and liked, are living in, or are thinking about moving to, would you PM me? I am going to be looking next week, and I need a place to start! I know nothing about the area... I have only been to the school once!

Thanks!

Congratulations Allygator, very good news indeed!

Congrats Allygator89 once again!! I sent you a PM about places to live in Tampa. I did a lot of reseach on places and I'll be glad to help you out.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I sooo appreciate it. I am going to go look for a place next Saturday... I only have a little bit of time to get everything done and get moved before my "movers" go on vacation outside the country......

Hello everyone, does anyone remember any specifics about the Profession of Medicine course? I remember Mr. Larkin mentioning it, but I don't remember any specifics and the letter from the SA office is kind of vague about it, only letting us know that we need professional clothes for patient care encounters.

The Profession of Medicine: An Integrated Approach to Basic Principles is an exciting new educational program introducing the curriculum at USF College of Medicine. During this 3-week program, it is our goal to begin the study of many topics that are important to your successful study of medicine.

Medicine is a profession with a set of values. Core to this program is a discussion of professionalism, the role of the physician, and principles of medical ethics. At the end of this program, each student will receive a white coat during a ceremony that emphasizes the process of becoming a medical professional.

Success in medicine requires a commitment to life long learning. It is clear that the educational program at the College of Medicine is only the beginning of a life of study. We hope to emphasize the importance of life long learning during this program.

The study and practice of medicine are facilitated by the acquisition of a set of critical skills. These skills include the ability to use information resources and computer technology, the ability to critically read and interpret the medical literature, and the ability to apply the principles of evidence-based medicine into practice. We will begin practicing these important skills. Techniques for more effective methods of study will be presented during this program as well.

The ability to obtain a history from a patient and perform a physical examination is one of the most important skills learned during medical school. We will begin the study of the history and physical examination during this program. Each patient has a unique background, set of values and beliefs, and understanding of his/her medical interactions. As physicians, we must take this cultural diversity into account when we care for patients in order to provide the highest quality of care.

Since students will be placed into the clinical world early in the curricular program, we want all to be proficient at basic cardiac life support and will present a BCLS course for all students.

Four clinical topics will be used as a backbone to provide an interdisciplinary presentation emphasizing the need to understand the sciences basic to the practice of medicine in order to provide excellent patient care. The need for life long learning and a continued thirst for new knowledge becomes apparent during the study of these topics.

Welcome to USF College of Medicine. During this program, we hope to help you begin a most fulfilling journey.

The post above is a very good description of the profession of medicine, however it is not as exciting as it might sound. My class was the first one to actually go through the program, so I hope some changes have been made. For us it was composed of two weeks with week 1 being split into two topics and week 2 being split into a another two topics. I beleive our topics were Acute MI, breast cancer, peptic ulcers, and one more than I cannot remember at this time. Half the class works on one of the two topics during each week. You are split into a group of about 10 students and 2 preceptors in which you have planned meeting times to do research and prepare a power point presentation for the rest of the class. Each group that works on say Acute MI will have to talk about a different aspect of the problem like pathophysiology, epidemiology, or treatment. Mixed in between your small group and large group lectures on these topics, you will have some evidence based medicine lectures (we had dr. bognar who is a great teacher), some silly cultural diversity lectures (stupid waste of time), some silly study technique lecutres (another waste of our time), computer lectures (boring), ethics lectures (will get more of this later on in the semester) and time to examine patients in the USF clinics (you will see a patient on your first day:) Our class thought that if they cut out all the fluff, the POM course could only be one week in length instead of two. However one thing you will learn about med school is that they love to fluff the schedule with unnecessary lecutures and labs. Just get used to it. Lastly at the end of the two weeks there is a short exam of about 40 questions. Its not that hard. Everyone should pass it. Its based on the lectures from the two weeks and the students presentations. After the test you will have the white coat ceromony. Hope thats a decent description. Have fun while it lasts.

Originally posted by SolidGold
Congrats Allygator89 once again!! I sent you a PM about places to live in Tampa. I did a lot of reseach on places and I'll be glad to help you out.

Hey Solid, would you mind PMing me with that information as well?? On top of that, if anybody could forward Mr. Larkin's e-mail concerning housing to me, I'd appreciate it. I just got the acceptance this week and I think he forgot to send it to me.

Originally posted by usfgator
I just wanted to give some advice on apartments for first year. Most students stay in the tampa palms area which is north on bruce b downs blvd about 5 minutes from campus. It is a very nice area but can be somewhat pricey. If you head further north on bruce b downs, there are apartments as nice as tampa palms but without the extra cost. The only problem is there is traffic in the morning. I leave at about 7:20am to make it to class for 8:00am. For me the traffic was not that big of a deal. What was more important was getting an apartment that was in a great, safe area for less than tampa palms. Secondly, I would not reccommend living right around campus. This area has a very high crime rate and many students' cars have been broken in to. I would stay north of bears ave. I would also avoid living south of campus because this also is not a great area. I would be glad to answer any specific questions you might have.

FYI

I never got the email either, but I did get an apartment based upon the info that was posted earlier.

Just stay north of bearrs ave and you will be fine... you'll see what they mean. :) Good luck, and congrats! PM me if you have any questions!