University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Originally posted by K271
Hey Solid, would you mind PMing me with that information as well?? On top of that, if anybody could forward Mr. Larkin's e-mail concerning housing to me, I'd appreciate it. I just got the acceptance this week and I think he forgot to send it to me.

Hey K271, congrats on the acceptance to USF!!:clap: :clap:

I sent you a PM with some more detailed info about where to look for an apartment and a copy of Mr. Larkin's email. The only rule that needs to be followed really is to try to get a place north of Bearss Ave. and Bruce B. Downs Blvd like everyone is saying. :)

Also, if you haven't done so already, now might be a good time to get all of your immunization documentation together and get a physical. Just get all of that stuff out of the way so it does not become a burden later. My doctor thought the amount of things they wanted regarding the health stuff to be overboard, except for the immunization stuff of course.

Members don't see this ad.

To those that live in Tampa now, I would like your opinions on the best cell phone service in the area. I don't care about fancy looking phones, just really good reception and call clarity and something that will work well inside buildings. I use Cingular in Miami and I was probably just going to relocate it to Tampa but I want to make sure they are dependable there. From what I hear, Verizon and Alltel seem to have high reputations in Tampa. Is that true? Anyone have experience with which might be the best to get a signal on Alligator Alley?

I am also looking for decent cell service. I have AT&T and it really stinks right now....

Anyone out there play racquetball? I am looking for a partner, however, I haven't played in about a year or so. I played for about 4 years through college, and a couple of years after that.... You don't have to be decent. I just need someone that keeps me moving! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have cingular now and have had no problems with reception in tampa. I cannot help you with aligator alley though. Only driven though there once and do not remember what type of reception i had.

Verizon is really great in Florida. I have never been in a roaming area. I work at USF and my cell phone coverage is great.

Originally posted by Allygator89

Anyone out there play racquetball? I am looking for a partner, however, I haven't played in about a year or so. I played for about 4 years through college, and a couple of years after that.... You don't have to be decent. I just need someone that keeps me moving! :)

I've only played racquetball once. I liked it but I sucked at it and never felt like playing again. I am a decent tennis player though, which I picked up after my failed attempt at racquetball.

As for the cell phone thing, I think I'm going to try out Verizon Wireless since they have a 15 day trial period. If I find it better than Cingular in the area I'll stick with it, otherwise I'll just return the phone and relocate my Cingular service. I work for Cingular Wireless right now in Miami...I guess I have no loyalty :D.

Definitely go with Verizon... they were rated #1 across the board by consumer reports, and I've used my phone all over Tampa with no problem, even in areas where cell phones are in high use (Ybor, RayJay, etc.)

Thanks for all that info, Solid!!

Originally posted by SolidGold
I've only played racquetball once. I liked it but I sucked at it and never felt like playing again. I am a decent tennis player though, which I picked up after my failed attempt at racquetball.

As for the cell phone thing, I think I'm going to try out Verizon Wireless since they have a 15 day trial period. If I find it better than Cingular in the area I'll stick with it, otherwise I'll just return the phone and relocate my Cingular service. I work for Cingular Wireless right now in Miami...I guess I have no loyalty :D.

No worries on the racquetball. I'll make you a deal. You show me how to improve my sorry tennis game, and I'll show you how to play racquetball. It will be a learning experience and will probably teach me some patience!!! :)

Originally posted by Allygator89
No worries on the racquetball. I'll make you a deal. You show me how to improve my sorry tennis game, and I'll show you how to play racquetball. It will be a learning experience and will probably teach me some patience!!! :)

Sounds good to me, its a deal. Its nice to know that I will be learning something besides medicine in medical school.

Well, I didn't think it could happen for me this year, but I got the call today. The fact that I only have a month to find a place, get shots, a laptop, etc. is a frightening proposition, but nothing like having to deal with secondaries, interviews, etc. again. It is a comfort to know that I will be attending with a good group of people. Thanks to whomever gave up the spots ... good luck wherever you may be going!:love:

Easily doable in a month... no problems with that! Finding a place will take a day or so. It is really easy down there.

If you need some help, PM me. I will try to help you out as much as possible.

Thanks Allygator, that is reassuring. I am starting to feel like it is going to happen. And besides, people do this on just days notice :eek: ... or so I hear.

Originally posted by SeeGulz
Thanks Allygator, that is reassuring. I am starting to feel like it is going to happen. And besides, people do this on just days notice :eek: ... or so I hear.

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS! Welcome to our wonderful class of 2007!

You should be fine. It only took me about a day to find an apartment and get everything going. I think the paperwork takes the longest out of everything!

First things first. I would get a USF email address. Go to http://www.med.usf.edu/is/

Click on Place an online or account service request.

Go to Account Request.

Fill out the form. Use XXX for the building, and COM Student (MD).

This will take about three days. This is the first step in everything. You can also apply for an ID card (through the mail if you would like).

When that is done, you will be able to apply for your USF NetID. You need your USF ID # to get your NetID. Once you get that, you will be just about done the stuff you need to start school. All of this will come in your Student Affairs packet, but that may take a few days. Each step does take 2 or three days, and you will have a lag time of a day or so from when you get your email address to the time you can log in. USF NetID works the same way as well.

You can apply for parking. They will mail you your pass if you do it online, or you can pick it up while you are down there shopping for apartments.

Word to the wise. Read over this thread. Stay north of Bearrs Ave. Your best best would be to start at the school and go from there to get an idea of how far you would like to be. There are some great move in specials right now.

Check out rent.com or rent.net. It will help you out significantly!

PM me if you need help. SolidGold is also a big help so you might want to ask him for ideas as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
USF!!!USF!!!USF!!!

WOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ya'll are gonna just love it.

Congrats SeeGulz!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm glad that you got into USF. Allygator89 is right, a month is more than enough time to get everything together. It only took me about 2.5 weeks to get everything I needed done (including the physical and all the shots), except for moving.

There is a lot of great help in this thread, but I'll take the liberty to PM you some stuff regarding places to live. If you need anything else let me know.

SolidGold and Allygator, much thanks for the information. I am now much better armed for the next few weeks and I appreciate your taking the time when I know that you both have your own hands full, too. Cheers to you! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Does anyone know the mean MCAT and mean GPA for those accepted at USF?

I found the minimum numbers for consideration, but I can't seem to find any detailed information regarding the class profile.

Thanks!

Originally posted by zinjanthropus
Does anyone know the mean MCAT and mean GPA for those accepted at USF?

I found the minimum numbers for consideration, but I can't seem to find any detailed information regarding the class profile.

Thanks!

The average for incoming classes is about a ten on each section, 9 on verbal and 3.7 gpa.

Congrats Ally andSeeGulz!:clap:

I'll join all you guys in a few years;) :D

Can anyone tell me what else you do the first three weeks other than the profession of medicine? How time intensive is it?

Does anybody know if we're supposed to dress "professionally" for the financial aid meetings this week?

I don't know. I would call the school.

Are you in Tampa now?

I AM BORED :)

I doubt that you need to dress professionally for the financial aid interview. I never did with my undergrad financial aid entrance or exit interviews and neither did anyone else. This probably isn't much different. Dress as you normally do, leave the bunny slippers behind, and you should be ok.

BTW, is anybody going to these mixer events, i.e. "tibeal pursuit" and the like?

I think I am going to go to some of them, time permitting. After looking through the notes and stuff, it may not be too bad for the first three weeks.

However, going to "mixers" every night gets tedius. Right now, the only thing I am not going to do is the financial aid interview (is this a mixer? j/k) and the Ybor City thing. I guess it depends on what happens and who I meet the first couple of times..

Does anyone know if it is worth buying the book for the profession of medicine? It is Moseby's Physicial Diagnosis book. If we are only using it for the first three weeks, then I am not going to bother and will borrow it from someone I know, but if it is something we will use alot, I will buy it.

Gulz, are you in town?

Hi everyone I am new here. Just finishing up my USF app an I had a quick question and figured you guys would be the ones to ask...

On the USF secondary I know it says under post-sec activities and stuff that anything written should be IN ADDITION to the 15ish already on the amcas. I guess I can put a few more, but I kinda feel like I'm going quantity over quality then. So my question is whether or not the Committee expects a lot more activities in addition to amcas. What did you guys do?

Thanks for any help I really want to go to USF this next year and join you all :)

Originally posted by MeDDyMe
Hi everyone I am new here. Just finishing up my USF app an I had a quick question and figured you guys would be the ones to ask...

On the USF secondary I know it says under post-sec activities and stuff that anything written should be IN ADDITION to the 15ish already on the amcas. I guess I can put a few more, but I kinda feel like I'm going quantity over quality then. So my question is whether or not the Committee expects a lot more activities in addition to amcas. What did you guys do?

Thanks for any help I really want to go to USF this next year and join you all :)

Good luck. I put down everything that was of substantial value. Don't put something down if it isn't something you can talk about on more than a superficial level.

Hope to see you. If you interview down here, let me know.!

Allygator - I am in town, which is fortunate because I still have a few last minute things to take care of. I still don't have a parking permit, USF ID, and I haven't turned in that big/little sibling questionaire.

I don't know which, if any, of the mixers I will attend.

Good luck getting all that taken care of. It shouldn't be too difficult. I am trying to get the last minute stuff done on my apartment. It is like pulling teeth! See you on Monday, and don't forget to wear a sign that says "I'm SeeGulz":D

Mosbys Guide to Physical Diagnosis was our book for the physical diagnosis course we took during first year. I am not sure if you are using the same book, but we used the same one for profession of medicine and physical diagnosis. Unless they changed things around, which I highly doubt, you don't have to dress up for your FA meeting. The second years started this past week, so enjoy your last few days of freedom and good luck!