University of Southern Nevada vs. Albany College of Pharmacy! Please Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm2008

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I just got two acceptance letters from both schools that I got accepted for both schools. Now, I am deciding which one to go to. Which school do you think is better to go? I really need help on this! Please list some pros and cons especially from those who are from either school and you experiences! Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should pick the one that fits you best financially. Beside which school is cheaper for you to go to, you also have to take into account where you want to work after you graduate. Supposedly, pharmacist in Nevada makes more money than pharmacist in New York. New York also has stricter laws from what I heard. Hope that helps. :)

WHat were ur stats to get into S Nevada? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
lcfan4ever said:
WHat were ur stats to get into S Nevada? Thanks.

Overall GPA 3.7
Sciences: 3.8
Volunteer experience: inpatient and outpatient pharmacy
Why Pharmacy? Pharmaceutical Care and How medications work in a human body..that's what I told the interviewers. Hope that helps!

thanks. Excellent stats. Congrats.

I am soph in college. Univ of nevada is one of the schools i'll be applying.

I know USN is three years...
is Albany?

skp said:
I know USN is three years...
is Albany?

Albany is also three years...it's called accelerated program!

Well I can't speak for Albany, but I was very impressed by USN.

Check the prices of each school, I know USN doesn't have financial aid program !! if Albany has it then that is a big advantage I guess. Check the cost of living as well.

Good luck.

skp said:
Well I can't speak for Albany, but I was very impressed by USN.

I agree with skp--USN is a very impressive school. The staff is wonderful and the facilities are brand new. It is, however, very very expensive. Not sure how much more than Albany. Which of the two schools were you leaning towards before you knew of your acceptance? Anyhow, congrats on your acceptance into both programs and best of luck figuring out which one you want to attend (it's kind of a nice "predicament" to be in :)
Asor

I think the block scheduling (USN) is a big selling point - for those of us that like this type of class structure.
As Asor mentioned, cost is a big thing. Especially with federal loan likely not available this coming year. (You apply for private ones)

congratulations

pharm2008 said:
Hi all!

I just got two acceptance letters from both schools that I got accepted for both schools. Now, I am deciding which one to go to. Which school do you think is better to go? I really need help on this! Please list some pros and cons especially from those who are from either school and you experiences! Thanks a bunch!

USN for sure. The block system I hear is awesome and the staff is so friendly there. I wish I had that choice! Congrats! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
TCB said:
congratulations

Thank you so much for all the comments and suggestions. I think I am kinda leaning toward USN although it's much more expensive. Anything about USN I should know. Thanks in advance!

I believe Dr. DeYoung in the admissions office is a good source for info. about the school.

skp said:
I believe Dr. DeYoung in the admissions office is a good source for info. about the school.

Yes, ask Dr. DeYoung any questions. He is always so nice to applicants.

pharm2008 said:
Hi all!

hello, pharm2008
I got admitted to USN also...I really like the people there...
if you decide to go for USN, then I'll see you this fall!! :thumbup:

FutureRxGal said:
Why are there no federal loans available for USN this coming year?

Maybe because the school is not accredited yet.

goheel said:
Maybe because the school is not accredited yet.

The school is fully ACPE accredited...but the financial aid situation is something I'm not privy to at this time. If anybody is planning on attending, I would check with the school's financial aid office and find out the current status of Title IV, federally subsidized student loans.

pharm2008 said:
Hi all!

Go to Albany and save a spot for rest of USN applicans :p Interview this sat. Congrat on your acceptance. :)

Abilene said:
hello, pharm2008
I got admitted to USN also...I really like the people there...
if you decide to go for USN, then I'll see you this fall!! :thumbup:

Hey, I am about 90% sure that I will go there...I am still waiting for one more school to answer...hope to be friends with you...If I go there...this August.

Congrats on your acceptances. Some comments about Albany, i think a major drawback is the fact that many students are commuters, living off campus and are generally local. So the classmates bonding is a little lacking at times. No financial aid is pretty tough though. But you seem pretty set on USN, anything else and you can pm me if you want.

dontworry said:
Congrats on your acceptances. Some comments about Albany, i think a major drawback is the fact that many students are commuters, living off campus and are generally local. So the classmates bonding is a little lacking at times. No financial aid is pretty tough though. But you seem pretty set on USN, anything else and you can pm me if you want.

Eh, everyone at USN would live off campus, too. It is certainly not a campus, but more of an office building in a business park, and I see this as a major drawback for their program also.