University of Southern Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RLK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone applying here? I'm trying to find when the application process begins on their website but I can only find out about 2005, which means it must not have began yet.

Do they use the PharmCAS site? I couldn't find this school on the PharmCAS, unless I'm just missing it.

Thasnk

Members don't see this ad.

RLK said:
Is anyone applying here? I'm trying to find when the application process begins on their website but I can only find out about 2005, which means it must not have began yet.

Do they use the PharmCAS site? I couldn't find this school on the PharmCAS, unless I'm just missing it.

Thasnk

I don't think my school will be utilizing PharmCAS again next year, so you won't find info on pharmcas.org. The application for Fall 2006 will be found on the USN website sometime this coming September (don't know the actual date), with a deadline for submission of the completed application on 1/12/06.

SUN doesn't participate in pharmcas...you may want to check out their website

Members don't see this ad :)
LVPharm said:
I don't think my school will be utilizing PharmCAS again next year, so you won't find info on pharmcas.org. The application for Fall 2006 will be found on the USN website sometime this coming September (don't know the actual date), with a deadline for submission of the completed application on 1/12/06.

Is it difficult to get into USN? Do they mainly take Nevada residents or not? I saw that the PCAT wasn't required and they don't want any letters of recommendation. My science pre-req gap is around 3.3 or 3.4, but my overall gpa isn't as high because i have a bs in an unrelated field from when i was about 10 years younger. I also work as a drug clerk in a pharmacy. Do you think that will help?

Thanks

USN is private school, the cost is 30k per year and you have to get your own personal loan, you can't get federal loans....it's kind of sux, only good thing is that they have three years program, and also whatever you courses you took within the last five years counts...so let say courses from 2000 wouldn't count only if you want to go with academic forgiveness....I'll apply in the fall as well, but hopefully I will get into other school where I can get federal loans, I think the rate is much less than personal loan....just thought I share this with you and yes their appl wont be up until Oct

RLK said:
Is it difficult to get into USN? Do they mainly take Nevada residents or not? I saw that the PCAT wasn't required and they don't want any letters of recommendation. My science pre-req gap is around 3.3 or 3.4, but my overall gpa isn't as high because i have a bs in an unrelated field from when i was about 10 years younger. I also work as a drug clerk in a pharmacy. Do you think that will help?

Thanks

USN is very competitive. GPA is EXTREMELY important there. I think that is what they mainly look at to get an interview. If you have a 4 year degree that only accounts for 1 point out of like 70 or 80 points points. Science GPA is worth 35 points and overall GPA is worth a little less. Correct me if I am wrong LVPharm:) If you have prereq classes that need to be completed, then they subtract 1/2 a point for each class.

Talk to Dr. DeYoung about their straight forward point system.

I love this school and it is my first choice (and the only school that I will be applying to in the fall). LVPharm is correct in that the application cycle begins in Sept. and interviews start in Jan. (see website).

They do not require an essay or letters of recommendation or PCAT. They just want to see academic transcripts.

I am curious what the GPA's are from people that were granted an interviews.

Good luck and I hope this has helped.
:luck: :thumbup:

Any of you current students have the latest stats? I'm just trying to remember how last year's application cycle went. I think it was around 1100 applicants, about 400 interviews, for how many seats? ~110?

I applied and was accepted to USN last year and would have gone there if I didn't get into my top choice. I really liked what I saw there at the school. Dr. DeYoung was first class, a very helpful and open man. I hated the cost of housing in Vegas which helped push it down my wish list.

At the time I went through the interview process, they had a 96 pt scale. It was made up of the following:
Science GPA * 7, Total 28 pts. Poss.
Overall GPA * 7, total 28 pts poss.
The essay we wrote at the interview was worth 5 pts.
The interview score was worth 35.

They would score everyone coming in that way and then start at the highest score and start inviting until they were full. If you got a high enough score, they would invite you to come within a week or two.

I really liked this because they were the only school I applied to that basically would tell you the breakdown of what you needed to do to get in, and it seemed very fair to me.

They may have changed their scoring system since then, I do not know, but with Dr. DeYoung still there whatever they are doing will be very fair.

Jeddevil said:
I applied and was accepted to USN last year and would have gone there if I didn't get into my top choice.

If you knew then what you know now, would you have made the same choice?

pharmaz88 said:
If you knew then what you know now, would you have made the same choice?

Good question, and I will say yes. Lately around school it has been no fun at times, but MWU being at the top of my list had a lot to do with location and keeping me here where my family wanted to stay. Wages for my wifes job are significantly higher here along with family support for her. That has been nice since I see you more than her now.

When I came home today after our test my baby son looked at me like I was a stranger. This quarter is going to be a killer. I look forward to rotations next qtr. so I can spend some time at home again.

Jeddevil said:
I applied and was accepted to USN last year and would have gone there if I didn't get into my top choice. I really liked what I saw there at the school. Dr. DeYoung was first class, a very helpful and open man. I hated the cost of housing in Vegas which helped push it down my wish list.

At the time I went through the interview process, they had a 96 pt scale. It was made up of the following:
Science GPA * 7, Total 28 pts. Poss.
Overall GPA * 7, total 28 pts poss.

They would score everyone coming in that way and then start at the highest score and start inviting until they were full. If you got a high enough score, they would invite you to come within a week or two.

I really liked this because they were the only school I applied to that basically would tell you the breakdown of what you needed to do to get in, and it seemed very fair to me.

They may have changed their scoring system since then, I do not know, but with Dr. DeYoung still there whatever they are doing will be very fair.

I'm thinking about asking USN to do the academic forgiveness for me. The only thing though is that I would have to take Calculus and College Writing over again because I took them over 5 years ago. But if they only consider grades from 2001 to 2006, then they'll only be looking the courses I've taken since I've gone back to school which all have good grades. I'm not too crazy about taking Calculus again though. I remember that course taking a ton of work the first time.

RLK said:
I'm thinking about asking USN to do the academic forgiveness for me. The only thing though is that I would have to take Calculus and College Writing over again because I took them over 5 years ago.

My advise would be to apply with academic forgiveness and if you get accepted, take Calc and Writing the summer before you go to USN. This way if you get a C in Calc (during the summer after you're interview), it won't hurt your GPA in February (at your interview). And if you don't get accepted you don't have to take these classes. If you are accepted you only need to get a C or better in your remaining classes (in your case Calc and Writing). Getting a C in Calculus at a CC is fairly easy especially if you can use the TI-92. Good luck.

USN is very competitive. important there. I think that is what they mainly look GPA is EXTREMELY at to get an interview. If you have a 4 year degree that only accounts for 1 point out of like 70 or 80 points points. Science GPA is worth 35 points and overall GPA is worth a little less. Correct me if I am wrong LVPharm:) If you have prereq classes that need to be completed, then they subtract 1/2 a point for each class.

Talk to Dr. DeYoung about their straight forward point system.

I love this school and it is my first choice (and the only school that I will be applying to in the fall). LVPharm is correct in that the application cycle begins in Sept. and interviews start in Jan. (see website).

They do not require an essay or letters of recommendation or PCAT. They just want to see academic transcripts.

I am curious what the GPA's are from people that were granted an interviews.

Good luck and I hope this has helped.
:luck: :thumbup:

I have and interview at USN in late January. I have a sciense 4.0 GPA and a 3.96 overall GPA and a Bachelor's degree in an unrelated area. But I am still very nervous for the interview day. Please help me with some tips on questions and what is going on that day? I appreciate the help...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest looking at the "USN interview" thread, many people have recently posted.
Hope that helps...

Do we have to write essay at the interview? I don't know that.

USN is private school, the cost is 30k per year and you have to get your own personal loan, you can't get federal loans....it's kind of sux, only good thing is that they have three years program, and also whatever you courses you took within the last five years counts...so let say courses from 2000 wouldn't count only if you want to go with academic forgiveness....I'll apply in the fall as well, but hopefully I will get into other school where I can get federal loans, I think the rate is much less than personal loan....just thought I share this with you and yes their appl wont be up until Oct

me too. I have an interview on the 26. nervous...

I dont think we will be asked to write essay. When is your interview? MIne is on the 26. hic hic next Sat

I dont think we will be asked to write essay. When is your interview? MIne is on the 26. hic hic next Sat

Mine is February 9th. I chose it because it is a saturday date. I don't have to miss classes.

You don't have to write an essay at the interview. Good luck to all candidates! I'll be there as a tour guide on Saturdays--hope to see some of you there!

Is Feb 9th the latest interview date scheduled so far? Im trying to get a feel for how many interviews have already been given out!

Is Feb 9th the latest interview date scheduled so far? Im trying to get a feel for how many interviews have already been given out!
According to the e-mail I got, the first interview date is Feb 5th. Feb 9th is the second. But I have a feeling that for this schools, they use the point system to select the candidate. They are not based on rolling basis, so it doesn't matter how late your interview is.. I think...

According to the e-mail I got, the first interview date is Feb 5th. Feb 9th is the second. But I have a feeling that for this schools, they use the point system to select the candidate. They are not based on rolling basis, so it doesn't matter how late your interview is.. I think...

The first interview is Jan 22th, 08.

The intervied dates are:

1st: Jan 22th (Tues)
2nd: Jan 26th (Saturday)
3rd: Feb 5th (Tues)

The intervied dates are:

1st: Jan 22th (Tues)
2nd: Jan 26th (Saturday)
3rd: Feb 5th (Tues)
hey, any approx idea as to how many people have been invited???????

hey, any approx idea as to how many people have been invited???????

Not sure exactly how many have been invited thus far, but USN wants to interview about 600 candidates this year. That was the number stated at the student interviewer orientation.

I send in my application like couple days after it started with express mail, and I still have not heard anything. Shoud I give them a call or just wait it out?

If you havent heard anything at all, I would email Dr DeYoung. They sent an email back to me saying they received the app a couple weeks after they got it.

If you havent heard anything at all, I would email Dr DeYoung. They sent an email back to me saying they received the app a couple weeks after they got it.

dr young gave me only 2 dates for interview, 5th feb and 19th feb. so has to select 19th feb. so anyone has selected 19th feb? do u guys know what kind of questions they ask?
hey piyi ,
can u share ur interview questions??

I am going Feb 19th. Nevada campus.
I am really stressed out!!

Just be yourself, don't memorize answers, show your personality and you will be fine.
You may go over the questions from the interview feedback but DO NOT over prepare and memorize.
Confidence is a big plus , so try to relax.
Good luck.

I just wanted to wish everyone luck. See you on the 9th.

Dr. DeYoung told me that the school would call applicants who had top scores in the 3rd week of February to inform about the acceptance. So, is 3rd week of Feb this week or next week? (it should be next week, but i just want to ask =I) Thanks

Hello,
Any one attending interview on march 9 at utah campus????????

Dr. DeYoung told me that the school would call applicants who had top scores in the 3rd week of February to inform about the acceptance. So, is 3rd week of Feb this week or next week? (it should be next week, but i just want to ask =I) Thanks

It's next week.

I will be praying for an invite next week!!! :scared::D I really want an interview from USN!!! Good luck to everyone else who is waiting!! :D

I am waiting for an acceptance call...from Dr.Deyoung
Hopefully sooooon...

hey anyone attending interview in march at utah campus?????

I havent heard a single thing yet, it sucks to be me..
I think everyone with a 3.9 or better applies to USN, I might be on of the few taking a chance, I am way under that marker...

GPA is not everything. A well-rounded pharmacist isn't someone who has a 3.9GPA and plays by the book on every call. A well-rounded pharmacist is competent and versatile...a 3.9 GPA doesn't mean you are either of those things. For those of you with the lower GPA, don't fret! Many great schools like UCSF or UOP accept students with lower GPAs because these students have qualities that can make them great pharmacists. =)

GPA is not everything. A well-rounded pharmacist isn't someone who has a 3.9GPA and plays by the book on every call. A well-rounded pharmacist is competent and versatile...a 3.9 GPA doesn't mean you are either of those things. For those of you with the lower GPA, don't fret! Many great schools like UCSF or UOP accept students with lower GPAs because these students have qualities that can make them great pharmacists. =)

I agree!! :D My GPA is not horrible (3.5) but I don't know how credible it is for USN...I do have a B.S. in Microbiology (that helps some), but I don't know that it will help enough to get me an interview there....:( Unfortuantely, they do not look at anything besides these two credentials...:( We will see next week when they send out more invites...hopefully one will be for me (I am trying to be optimistic)!! :D

I agree!! :D My GPA is not horrible (3.5) but I don't know how credible it is for USN...I do have a B.S. in Microbiology (that helps some), but I don't know that it will help enough to get me an interview there....:( Unfortuantely, they do not look at anything besides these two credentials...:( We will see next week when they send out more invites...hopefully one will be for me (I am trying to be optimistic)!! :D

My stats were very similar: GPA 3.59, BS, plus all pre-reqs done, and pharmacy experience. I got in!!!( And by the way I am verry happy with USN )
So you still have a pretty good chance for an interview.
Good luck:thumbup:

My stats were very similar: GPA 3.59, BS, plus all pre-reqs done, and pharmacy experience. I got in!!!( And by the way I am verry happy with USN )

Thank you so much for the info!! It is so good to hear that someone in my shoes was accepted!!! I still have hope (more than I thought)!!! :D Do you attend the Henderson or Utah campus? Are you from Nevada or Utah?

Hey.. PharmDToBe .. My cGPA (US) is exactly the same .... How is your pre-req GPA? My interview is done. I am waiting for the decision.

Thank you so much for the info!! It is so good to hear that someone in my shoes was accepted!!! I still have hope (more than I thought)!!! :D Do you attend the Henderson or Utah campus? Are you from Nevada or Utah?

Nevada campus.