University of Southern Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Again, I think it all comes down to personal preference if you get to choose between the two campuses.

In my situation, I really wanted to attend the Nevada campus at first since it's closer to home but since I only got into UT, I am more than happy to accept that choice. When I moved to UT, I actually didn't like it at first but grew to love it. The weather is nice (except during the winter when it snowed of course), the people are very friendly, the campus is quite new, the staff is awesome, and I just loved it here.

I actually think that NV campus will have too much of a distraction for a lot of people when they want to study. So hopefully you guys will pick the right decision on what you think will be best for YOU. :D

Hi, AutumnCloud,

I got accepted for Utah campus, and planning to move in august, so i just want some information regarding apartment near the campus.

Members don't see this ad.

New in here, love the forum, very informative. I will be applying to USN in the fall I have a BS from U. Florida (3.7gpa), pre-reqs (3.6gpa) and PCAT in the high 80's. I am trying to get a realistic opinion from the people who have already applied/been accepted on my chances.
Advice is welcome, thanks...

New in here, love the forum, very informative. I will be applying to USN in the fall I have a BS from U. Florida (3.7gpa), pre-reqs (3.6gpa) and PCAT in the high 80's. I am trying to get a realistic opinion from the people who have already applied/been accepted on my chances.
Advice is welcome, thanks...

You have a very close GPA to mine by a reputable university. I had no PCAT and I had no bachelor's and I got in by top 30 wait list... You have an extremely good chance if you apply to several schools and do well on the interview...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone going to the Utah campus found affordable housing?

The wife and I are buying a townhouse but I wouldn't call it affordable. When we were looking at apartments before the cheapest 2 bedroom we could find was about $700, so good luck in your search.

It is very much do-able to pass every assessment, you just have to study consistently everyday. And a lot of the exams are based on memory but some do required some applications, like the Math part. Most of the people in the class will make it to the final year if you work hard. It is not as bad as what some of the students have said about people dropping out. I would recommend USN because i've grown to love this school. It is sometimes stressful during exam week and stuff like that but because it's a 3 yr program, I guess it is expected. Hope this helps! :love:

WOW r u still here??

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to bring some of my undergrad textbooks (Ochem, Microbiology, Physiology, etc.) with me for USN's PharmD program. Has any current USN student found this extra resource to be particularly helpful or are the materials at USN sufficient? If so, what books would you recommend bringing? Thanks!

Yea, I want to know too because I am planning to start selling my undergrad textbooks

The need to refer to undergrad textbooks will vary from student to student. I used my anatomy/physiology textbook maybe 10 times in the 1st two years, my ochem and genchem textbooks maybe once or twice each. I never used any other undergrad books. If I could go back in time I probably would of sold all of them except for the anatomy/physiology one. best wishes to you as you begin the didactic curriculum this Fall:)

Has anyone gave up there spot to attend USN? Just want to know my chances because I am on the waiting list.

For current USN students, what books do you need to buy for P1? Or you just study from the instructors' handouts?

I thought they said during the interview day that there are no texts. I seem to remember them saying something about texts going obsolete too quickly.

For current USN students, what books do you need to buy for P1? Or you just study from the instructors' handouts?

All the lectures are posted on the server and textbooks are not required. However, the first week of school at orientation they'll give you a list of suggested texts. Some students buy many, some by some and some buy none. I bought only one book each year. My P1 year I bought the Pharm Calcuations book and my P2 year I bought Pharmacotherapy by Dipiro. You'll figure what works for you. Also, the library on each campus has a certain number of copies of each textbook.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am gujju girl and I am looking for roommate in Nevada campus. I will have room available that is only 10 minute away from our campus. I am specifically looking for Vegetarian girl. My house is located in Gated community and you will have access to Pool, Play Ground and Clubhouse. I am going to live with my parents so you will get nice family atmosphere and safer environment. Food will provide to you so you do not have to cook. Please PM me and I will provide you more information.

Thanks.

Thank you everyone for posting responses to my textbook questions. They're very helpful.

Hi,

Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been doing rotations and have been out of UT for quite some time.

I am currently residing at the Legends of the River Oak. To be honest, it is best if you have at least a roommate because it will be a lot cheaper to stay here. But if you are planning to rent a 1 bed/1bad, then I think you might want to look somewhere else. A few places that are close to school will be of course, in areas like South Jordan, West Jordan, Sandy, and Midvale. You can always google map it to see the exact distance from school.

And you can always go on craigslist to check out housing and see what's available. But it'll always be best if you can go and look at the places ahead of time to see if you like it. Look at a few places, place some calls, make appt, and come see the place if time allows. And if you find some roommates thru the database, then it'll be good if you guys can meet and go search together. That's what my roommates and I did last year when we were accepted. We make an appt to meet in early Aug, go look at some places around, then we sign contract ahead of time so when we move to UT, we would have a place to stay. :)

If anything else I can help with, let me know.

Good luck and congrats to those who have been accepted.....see you guys all in the fall. :p

Hi, AutumnCloud,

I got accepted for Utah campus, and planning to move in august, so i just want some information regarding apartment near the campus.

WOW r u still here??

Hahahaha... well of course Mr. Diovan Hct (btw, I just notice, why did you pick this medication for your name? Is it because you have HBP? j/k) :love:

Just helping answer questions along in here if I can... that is, when I'm not failing and of course, during times when I refuse to study. LOL!

I'm currently on the waitlist of both campuses and I haven't received any phone call from Dr. DeYoung so far. However, I received a letter from the USN Student Alliance today. There are a brochue and a letter which stated this at the begining:

"Dear *my name*

The Student Alliance of the USN would like to offer our congratulations on your acceptance into the University of Southern Nevada College of Pharmacy. As you will soon discover, you have chosen an exciting and rewawrding profession, as well as an excellent institution in which to prepare for the changes which lay ahead. You should be proud of these decisions..... "

and this at the end:

"Again, welcome to the University of Southern NEvada College of Pharmacy! We wish you the best of luck for a successful professional career, and look forward to meeting you on campus.
Professionally yours,"

...It...confuses me. Like I said I haven't received any phone calls from Dr. DeYoung so I assume I'm still on the waitlist. My question is:

1. Has anyone ever received this similar letter/brochue/etc from USN? Would you please share your experience?
2. Does USN Student Alliance just send it to everyone who applied?

I got the lettter through the mail Sat. so I couldn't call and ask them directly. It got me nervous so I just want to ask you guys first. Thank you so much for your time reading this confusing post.:confused:

Hi, AutumnCloud,

I just recently got accepted to the Utah campus. Have you had any luck in finding a place to stay? Were can I access the database for roommates? Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

:)
I just recently got accepted to the Utah campus. Have you had any luck in finding a place to stay? Were can I access the database for roommates? Thanks! Any help would be appreciated.

SRJR82, :)

Congratulations on your acceptance. The school should've contacted you regarding being placed on the student roommate database, but if they haven't, you should definitely give them a call or email them to ask. The list will consist of the people who have been accepted and is looking for roomates, their info and things like, the type of roomies they want, etc... Hope you will find a good place to live. :luck:

Lymmys,

All I can suggest is calling the school to ask about it. I hope you will hear good news from the school :xf:.

I'm currently on the waitlist of both campuses and I haven't received any phone call from Dr. DeYoung so far. However, I received a letter from the USN Student Alliance today. There are a brochue and a letter which stated this at the begining:

"Dear *my name*

The Student Alliance of the USN would like to offer our congratulations on your acceptance into the University of Southern Nevada College of Pharmacy. As you will soon discover, you have chosen an exciting and rewawrding profession, as well as an excellent institution in which to prepare for the changes which lay ahead. You should be proud of these decisions..... "

and this at the end:

"Again, welcome to the University of Southern NEvada College of Pharmacy! We wish you the best of luck for a successful professional career, and look forward to meeting you on campus.
Professionally yours,"

...It...confuses me. Like I said I haven't received any phone calls from Dr. DeYoung so I assume I'm still on the waitlist. My question is:

1. Has anyone ever received this similar letter/brochue/etc from USN? Would you please share your experience?
2. Does USN Student Alliance just send it to everyone who applied?

I got the lettter through the mail Sat. so I couldn't call and ask them directly. It got me nervous so I just want to ask you guys first. Thank you so much for your time reading this confusing post.:confused:

Lymmys,

did you finally put urself waitlisted for both campus? and what is ur rank based on Dr. DeYoung if you don't mind sharing.... It's funny how I don't see a lot of acceptance news in here this year. I think anyone on top 50 waitlist or so should be fine, but don't mark my words for it though. I don't quite remember but I think I was top 30 or so on the UT waitlist last year and got a call in May. So don't lose your hopes yet guys. And, just to let you know.... a friend of mine in the class got a call somewhere in Aug.

:xf:Good Luck! :luck:

Thank you :)

:)

SRJR82, :)

Congratulations on your acceptance. The school should've contacted you regarding being placed on the student roommate database, but if they haven't, you should definitely give them a call or email them to ask. The list will consist of the people who have been accepted and is looking for roomates, their info and things like, the type of roomies they want, etc... Hope you will find a good place to live. :luck:

Thank you AutmnCloud!

Lymmys,

did you finally put urself waitlisted for both campus? and what is ur rank based on Dr. DeYoung if you don't mind sharing.... It's funny how I don't see a lot of acceptance news in here this year. I think anyone on top 50 waitlist or so should be fine, but don't mark my words for it though. I don't quite remember but I think I was top 30 or so on the UT waitlist last year and got a call in May. So don't lose your hopes yet guys. And, just to let you know.... a friend of mine in the class got a call somewhere in Aug.

:xf:Good Luck! :luck:
Yes I finally put myself waitlisted for both campus. Dr. DeYoung told me there're 50 ppl ahead of me on Nevada waitlist and 35 ppl ahead of me on UT. And as for the letter I receive last weekend, I called him today and it was a mistake. He has no idea why I received it, he told me to disregard it. So, keep waiting :)

well, maybe because there's a group on Facebook for USN class of 2012 and there's about 73 membersso far, not all for Nevada campus...there's 5 of us in my O-Chem 2 class that are starting next month at Henderson but I'm the only one in the FB group...so, not quite sure why although I for one did not post in here when I got "the call"...

Congrats...

This is the list of apartment which I have received from school.

APARTMENT COMPLEX
PHONE NUMBER
ADDRESS
Sterling Village
(801) 576-8500
11065 Sterling View Dr. South Jordan, UT. 84095
River Oaks
(801) 545-4600
9051 S. 1075 W. West Jordan, UT. 84088
Broadmoor Village
(801) 282-5222
3375 W. 7800 S. West Jordan, UT. 84088
South Willow
(801) 561-7474
6885 South Redwood Rd. West Jordan, UT. 84084

Fo roommates, contact ".Ms. Dawn Ihrig, the Administrative Assistant for the Admissions Office, at [email protected] "

If you need any other information give me your personal ID, I will send you attachment.

This is shilpa Mikkilineni from andhra pradesh india i ma going to utah campus. I am looking for roomates. Please let me know if any one is interested.

Shilpa

Hi everyone,
I just got a call from Dr. DeYoung offering me a seat at Nevada campus.
For those of you who are international students at USN, how do you show proof of financial in order to obtain an I-20 from USN?
Any input is much appreciated.
Thanks

Hi,

You was in 50 + waitlist from the first package or the beginning of July. Would you please share this information with us? Thank you and congratulation.

Hi,

I'm looking for a carpooler from SJ to Henderson on 24 or 25. Anyone's interested in?

I can't believe it's already my third year here at USN! congratulations to those who got accepted! I love USN and their blocking systems! it's awesome...good luck to all! =)

For my experience:
first year--not hard at all! as long as you try, then you'll pass,
2nd year--really tough and i really mean TOUGH! you need to try a lot harder than the first year, ...especially in south jordan campus!! LOL...because of new professors, you'll have no ideas how they will write their tests! unexpected!!
after you are thru with your 2nd year, 3rd year is awesome! so far, i'm now doing my 3rd rotation. no stress at all! =) and having a good time.

No books needed, i brought a lot of text books, and i didn't even take a glance at them while in school, just log onto wiki to look for things that you don't know..then that's good enough! =)

enjoy your first year while it lasts...2nd year...not so much...:scared::scared:
i'm still traumatized from 2.8 test from sj campus...lucky i passed without taking the reassessment!

Nothing is hard as long as you MEMORIZE and UNDERSTAND everything, then you'll do fine, especially for biochem block, understand the material is a must!!

GOOD LUCK!

Misstofu,

Congratulations on finishing P2! I am scared out of my mind thinking about P2 too. There are quite a lot of changes with P2 this year. We don't know if it will be for the better or worse. With all the warnings from previous p2s, we all have to work extra hard now. :D

Enjoy your rotations! Mine is approaching in about 9 months....counting down the days. :p

I can't believe it's already my third year here at USN! congratulations to those who got accepted! I love USN and their blocking systems! it's awesome...good luck to all! =)

For my experience:
first year--not hard at all! as long as you try, then you'll pass,
2nd year--really tough and i really mean TOUGH! you need to try a lot harder than the first year, ...especially in south jordan campus!! LOL...because of new professors, you'll have no ideas how they will write their tests! unexpected!!
after you are thru with your 2nd year, 3rd year is awesome! so far, i'm now doing my 3rd rotation. no stress at all! =) and having a good time.

No books needed, i brought a lot of text books, and i didn't even take a glance at them while in school, just log onto wiki to look for things that you don't know..then that's good enough! =)

enjoy your first year while it lasts...2nd year...not so much...:scared::scared:
i'm still traumatized from 2.8 test from sj campus...lucky i passed without taking the reassessment!

Nothing is hard as long as you MEMORIZE and UNDERSTAND everything, then you'll do fine, especially for biochem block, understand the material is a must!!

GOOD LUCK!

Hi there. I am trying to finish up my application today for USN but keep running into certificate errors popping up telling me to beware. Tried it on Internet Explorer and Mozilla both with the same result. Is this happening to anyone else when clicking to open up the application?

Specifically, the error code is telling me that another entity might have hijacked the link in an attempt to collect any information I plug into the application.

Would love to hear if this is happening to anyone else.

Thanks!

I just did my application today and everything was ok with it.
I sent it off, now I can just wait..............

I just did my application today and everything was ok with it.
I sent it off, now I can just wait..............

Good luck! You did send in your application very early, so they will consider it first. Hopefully, you'll hear from them pretty soon regarding interviews. :)

Any first year Pharmacy student at Utah campus??? I'm from Nevada campus.

I turned in my application a while ago. Still waiting, but I'm very worried because this is the first time they require PCAT score and I did not get a good score. Anyone has any idea when interview invitation will be sent out?

I turned in my application a while ago. Still waiting, but I'm very worried because this is the first time they require PCAT score and I did not get a good score. Anyone has any idea when interview invitation will be sent out?

I hope this isn't going to be the mega-thread for every USN applicant from now to eternity. It might be helpful to start a new thread for this year's applicants.

But to answer your question, I heard that the first round of interviews is scheduled for Nov 2 in Henderson and Nov 4 in Utah. So far I haven't seen anyone mentioning that they got an invitation yet. It is way too early to get too worried. Last year, they were still giving out invites all the way into March.

Diastole, I received my invitation today..They gave me the options to interview nov 10,or jan 16... Maybe I'll see some of you then...buttt I'm going to bed ... I have the pcat in the morning

Diastole, I received my invitation today..They gave me the options to interview nov 10,or jan 16... Maybe I'll see some of you then...buttt I'm going to bed ... I have the pcat in the morning

Congrats and good luck!

Hi, everybody

I have been scheduled to be interviewed on Tuesday 2/16 in Henderson. I would fly to Vegas at 5:20 PM on Monday 2/15 (which is a holiday) and come back on 2/16. If anyone wants to share room (double beds) and car rental, just reply!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions. I will be applying to the pharmacy program this fall and would like more information about the program from current students.

-I want to know in particular how the block systems works and if students like this.
-How many exams are typically given weekly and in each block system.

Also, my GPA is not that great, I have a 3.0 Cumulative and a 3.5 science, with a Bachelor's in Biology. I have 6yrs of retail pharmacy experience and plan to take my PCAT in the next couple months. Any advice to my chances of being admitted to the program? Do you think my GPA is too low?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions. I will be applying to the pharmacy program this fall and would like more information about the program from current students.

-I want to know in particular how the block systems works and if students like this.
-How many exams are typically given weekly and in each block system.

Also, my GPA is not that great, I have a 3.0 Cumulative and a 3.5 science, with a Bachelor's in Biology. I have 6yrs of retail pharmacy experience and plan to take my PCAT in the next couple months. Any advice to my chances of being admitted to the program? Do you think my GPA is too low?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

You should start a new thread for this year's applicants. Call it "USN Class of 2014" or something similar. It will get more attention that this buried at the end of an old thread.