University of Southern Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qdustbunny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, first time posting a thread...Has anyone turned in their application for USNP? I am still working on mine and I wanted to know if it's better to turn it in early (due date Jan.). Also since they do not require any letters of rec...how do I go about showing them that I am a good candidate?

---looking forward to any comments! thanks!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

qdustbunny said:
Hi, first time posting a thread...Has anyone turned in their application for USNP? I am still working on mine and I wanted to know if it's better to turn it in early (due date Jan.). Also since they do not require any letters of rec...how do I go about showing them that I am a good candidate?

Send your app if it is completely ready. They have rolling admissions.

blizz said:
Send your app if it is completely ready. They have rolling admissions.

They are not giving interview dates until Jan. after the application deadline. Doesn't rolling admissions mean that they give interviews as they receive applications? If so then I am not sure how they have rolling admissions. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Smilescali said:
They are not giving interview dates until Jan. after the application deadline. Doesn't rolling admissions mean that they give interviews as they receive applications? If so then I am not sure how they have rolling admissions. :confused:

Rolling admissions means they look at your application when they receive it, they don't wait until January to look at them all at once (unlike some CA schools). It's on their website. Their interviews are still scheduled in January though.

blizz said:
Rolling admissions means they look at your application when they receive it, they don't wait until January to look at them all at once (unlike some CA schools). It's on their website. Their interviews are still scheduled in January though.

MKAy, thanks

qdustbunny said:

USN primarily looks at grades / GPA to get an interview. During the interview is where you can really shine (or not shine :) ) I don't know what exactly they are looking for in the interview other than the basics (good communicator, problem solver, professionalism etc.) Hope this helps.

Smilescali said:
USN primarily looks at grades / GPA to get an interview. During the interview is where you can really shine (or not shine :) ) I don't know what exactly they are looking for in the interview other than the basics (good communicator, problem solver, professionalism etc.) Hope this helps.

I'm assuming that GPA is important because they do not require PCAT scores or recs. AHHHH Do you think a Accum GPA of a 3.0 and sci GPA of 3.5 will help me? I have a BS in Neuroscience and a minor in Psych. Will that help at all?

--ooo so nervous
:confused:
thanks

qdustbunny said:
I'm assuming that GPA is important because they do not require PCAT scores or recs. AHHHH Do you think a Accum GPA of a 3.0 and sci GPA of 3.5 will help me? I have a BS in Neuroscience and a minor in Psych. Will that help at all?

--ooo so nervous
:confused:
thanks

The average GPA was 3.7 last year (not sure if that is pre-req or overall). If you have a degree they give you an extra point for their overall academic score (out of 60 points), if you have a masters then you get 2 extra points. I am not exactly sure how they assign the points for the overall and pre-req GPA. Hope that helps and good luck.

For those of you that applied, is question #5 (Have you had any academic difficulties that may appear on your transcripts that you would like to explain?) optional?

blizz said:
For those of you that applied, is question #5 (Have you had any academic difficulties that may appear on your transcripts that you would like to explain?) optional?
I would write something there. Even if you didn't have any difficulties, then just state that. Good luck!

do they give an extra point for taking the PCAT? I thought the PCAT was required for Pharmacy school?

gsinccom said:
do they give an extra point for taking the PCAT? I thought the PCAT was required for Pharmacy school?

Not all schools require the PCAT. I believe USN is one of those schools that doesn't require the PCAT.

I also don't think you get any extra points for taking it.

is it harder to get a job if you attend a school not requiring the PCAT? Is the school considered of lesser quality?

Members don't see this ad :)
gsinccom said:
is it harder to get a job if you attend a school not requiring the PCAT? Is the school considered of lesser quality?

Absolutely not.

UC San Francisco and UC San Diego are highly regarded pharmacy schools and they do not require the PCAT. In fact, all the pharmacy schools in California do not require the PCAT and no one would consider the California pharmacy schools as lesser quality.

is their no uniform system then in Pharmacy? Optometry schools require the OAT and Dental Schools the DAT and Med Schools the MCAT...why the difference in Pharmacy? I'm considering USN Pharmacy as their are opening a school here in Utah soon. anyone know about that school's quality? they don't require the PCAT or a BS degree.

gsinccom said:
is their no uniform system then in Pharmacy? Optometry schools require the OAT and Dental Schools the DAT and Med Schools the MCAT...why the difference in Pharmacy? I'm considering USN Pharmacy as their are opening a school here in Utah soon. anyone know about that school's quality? they don't require the PCAT or a BS degree.

Many schools do not require the PCAT or a 4 year degree. USN is fully accredited and the graduating students have a very high NAPLEX passing rate. Hope this helps. :)

Smilescali said:
Many schools do not require the PCAT or a 4 year degree. USN is fully accredited and the graduating students have a very high NAPLEX passing rate. Hope this helps. :)

do you attend USN? If so would you mind answering my question on the other thread "is pharmacy school supposed to be hard"? thank you.

cosmicstarr said:
Absolutely not.

UC San Francisco and UC San Diego are highly regarded pharmacy schools and they do not require the PCAT. In fact, all the pharmacy schools in California do not require the PCAT and no one would consider the California pharmacy schools as lesser quality.

I think I can add to this. I'm a 4th yr, UCSD undergrad, and I have been to a good number of adcom pre-pharmacy talks and pre-pharmacy society meetings, and I can say, for the most part, California schools DO place a higher emphasis on G.P.A. as a "stable measure" of your ability across different subjects (i.e. g-chem, o-chem, calc, physics, anatomy, physiology, microbio, genetics). On the other hand, there seems to be this trend of out-of-state schools weighing standardized tests as one of the most important, measuring sticks of your academic ability besides your G.P.A.

UCSD School of Pharmacy LOVES high G.P.A's, whether you're an out-of-state applicant or in-state applicant, they like the diversity. For out-of-state applicants, you'd be surprised at how much they have accepted. So those that are interested, DO apply (you need some little extracurriculars too and/or good work experience would be helpful).

So, either you can show yourself as competitive applicant with a good-to-high G.P.A with CA schools (with some good extracurriculars or work experience--both are highly praised in addition to G.P.A. with California schools). What I am saying works with UCSD and UCSF's basis of selection, therefore, you're more likely to get in given what I said.

I'm not sure about out-of-state schools, though...seems like you must have high PCAT stats and fairly good grades to get into a competitive, out-of-state school...

What do you consider a "good-to-high G.P.A"? Would this be 3.5 and higher?

starrfishes said:
I think I can add to this. I'm a 4th yr, UCSD undergrad, and I have been to a good number of adcom pre-pharmacy talks and pre-pharmacy society meetings, and I can say, for the most part, California schools DO place a higher emphasis on G.P.A. as a "stable measure" of your ability across different subjects (i.e. g-chem, o-chem, calc, physics, anatomy, physiology, microbio, genetics). On the other hand, there seems to be this trend of out-of-state schools weighing standardized tests as one of the most important, measuring sticks of your academic ability besides your G.P.A.

UCSD School of Pharmacy LOVES high G.P.A's, whether you're an out-of-state applicant or in-state applicant, they like the diversity. For out-of-state applicants, you'd be surprised at how much they have accepted. So those that are interested, DO apply (you need some little extracurriculars too and/or good work experience would be helpful).

So, either you can show yourself as competitive applicant with a good-to-high G.P.A with CA schools (with some good extracurriculars or work experience--both are highly praised in addition to G.P.A. with California schools). What I am saying works with UCSD and UCSF's basis of selection, therefore, you're more likely to get in given what I said.

I'm not sure about out-of-state schools, though...seems like you must have high PCAT stats and fairly good grades to get into a competitive, out-of-state school...

blizz said:
What do you consider a "good-to-high G.P.A"? Would this be 3.5 and higher?

Yeap! Also, another thing to think about, blizz: since the class size of admitted applicants is still slowly climbing (the last time I heard was seventy-something seats) the ratio of getting accepted at UCSD's School of Pharmacy is about 40 applicants competing for one seat. Strong leadership/extracurriculars, therefore, helps a lot to make you stand out besides the G.P.A. Good luck.

As for the extracurricular activities, I listed a lot more activities on PharmCAS and listed less on the UCSD application (mainly because the supplemental asked for strictly school organizations). Will the adcoms look at both, or just the supplemental? I'm afraid they won't look at the others I've listed on pharmCAS.

I read on SDN that USN is starting a new campus in South Jordan, Utah! (I called USN to confirm this). The class size will be increased to around 190 students! (140 in NV and 50 in Utah!) That is great news for all of us who are applying there. The more seats available the more of a chance we have! I still prefer Henderson if I get in though! :)

has anybody heard back yet from USN? I turned my appz in quite a while ago... :confused: when are their interviews anyway?

Smilescali said:
I read on SDN that USN is starting a new campus in South Jordan, Utah! (I called USN to confirm this). The class size will be increased to around 190 students! (140 in NV and 50 in Utah!) That is great news for all of us who are applying there. The more seats available the more of a chance we have! I still prefer Henderson if I get in though! :)

I noticed that on their application too. At the top it says if you are admitted if you prefer to attend the South Jordan campus, yes or no. I think their interviews start in Jan or Feb.

blizz said:
As for the extracurricular activities, I listed a lot more activities on PharmCAS and listed less on the UCSD application (mainly because the supplemental asked for strictly school organizations). Will the adcoms look at both, or just the supplemental? I'm afraid they won't look at the others I've listed on pharmCAS.

Since UCSD participates in PharmCAS, they also get your printouts, which is all the information you have entered on the PharmCAS website. I'd think they would look at both your supplemental and your printouts. In other words, I don't think they look at just your printouts for PharmCAS G.P.A, but also everything you listed, including your personal statement. So whatever extracurriculars listed under your PharmCAS is just a laundry list. So, I'd think, the significant extracurriculars, which are most important to you should be mentioned again in detail, for the supplemental application--and it seems like you did that.

Remember, a couple of strong detailed, leadership experiences will make you a better applicant than someone with just a list. Hope this helps! :)

kyt0871 said:
has anybody heard back yet from USN? I turned my appz in quite a while ago... :confused: when are their interviews anyway?

The interviews will start in January. I am not sure when they will be scheduling them though. Some people from last year heard as early as mid- Dec for scheduling. Hopefully that will be the case again this year (or before then ;) )

blizz said:
Were your answers for the questions short? i'm having a hard time trying to elaborate! I like it short, simple and sweet, but would that be a good thing?

qdustbunny said:
Were your answers for the questions short? i'm having a hard time trying to elaborate! I like it short, simple and sweet, but would that be a good thing?

My initial answer was short, but then I extended it to explain how I remedied the difficulty. Thanks Smilescali for your response!

Smilescali said:
The interviews will start in January. I am not sure when they will be scheduling them though. Some people from last year heard as early as mid- Dec for scheduling. Hopefully that will be the case gain this year (or before then ;) )

Is it true that USN only invite applicants with or above 3.5??? Thanks for the response.

janbran said:
Is it true that USN only invite applicants with or above 3.5??? Thanks for the response.
I believe USN gives interviews to applicants that have the top academic scores. So it depends on who is applying. It is on a competitive basis. :)

I have two W's on history I and Spanish I and a C in art. Do I have to explain that to the on the application question that states: Explain any academic difficulty?

Smilescali said:
I believe USN gives interviews to applicants that have the top academic scores. So it depends on who is applying. It is on a competitive basis. :)

Do you know how USN calculate "top academic scores". Thanks.

janbran said:
Do you know how USN calculate "top academic scores". Thanks.
I am not completely sure, but I know it is out of 60 points and they base it on overall GPA, pre-req GPA and if you have a degree/masters/PhD. They also deduct a half of a point for each pre-req that you have outstanding. I would do a search on this topic because I think this was already discussed and you might find others that have additional info on this matter. Or you can call USN and see if they can help you figure it out. :thumbup:

I have two W's on history I and Spanish I and a C in art. Do I have to explain that to the on the application question that states: Explain any academic difficulty?

Shares143 said:

Sure, I would mention the W's and explain what happened. I think that is what the purpose of the question is. It is to give the applicants a chance to explain less than desirable grades or excessive W's( not that 2 W's are excessive :) )

Shares143 said:
Don't forget to explain what you have learned...

ANY NEWS ON USN, i havent heard anything from them yet since my application was complete. this was back in late october..

ANY NEWS ON USN, i havent heard anything from them yet since my application was complete. this was back in late october..

A couple of members have already received interview invites. I turned my app in late Nov, and I haven't heard anything yet either. Be patient, hopefully we'll hear something soon!

stickandstone said:

USN is starting to interview this Jan 18th. Additional interview dates are: Jan 21st and Feb. 1st. I think these are just the first round interviews though. Good Luck! :luck:

stickandstone said:

Hi,

I heard that USN only focus on GPA, so if your GPA is >3.5, you will hear from them. Otherwise, they will just make us wait. They don't even care what kind of work/life experience you have, maturity level, motivation for the profession....etc....I found this out recently. I wish I had known about this before I applied so I didn't have to waste $125. Good luck with you.

janbran said:
Hi,

I heard that USN only focus on GPA, so if your GPA is >3.5, you will hear from them. Otherwise, they will just make us wait. They don't even care what kind of work/life experience you have, maturity level, motivation for the profession....etc....I found this out recently. I wish I had known about this before I applied so I didn't have to waste $125. Good luck with you.

Does that mean an overall GPA or science GPA? I hate how they don't count + or - when factoring letter grades, screws my GPA up! I'm assuming that's why I haven't heard anything from them. I would think that the other qualities are worth looking at, but I guess not....

blizz said:
Does that mean an overall GPA or science GPA? I hate how they don't count + or - when factoring letter grades, screws my GPA up! I'm assuming that's why I haven't heard anything from them. I would think that the other qualities are worth looking at, but I guess not....

I'm not too sure about this, but I think it's the "overall GPA" . On their website, I think it's very misleading to list "2.8 GPA" as the minimum since that statement encouraged a lot of us to apply, especially those that are very motivated for the profession and have LOW GPA. I think that was why they got over 1800 applicants last year and AVD entering GPA is 3.70, even higher than UCSF. (Lets see: $100 X over 1800 applications = rich. You get the point). Well, I guess their definition of a good pharmacist is different from other institution. I spent a lot of times working on the essays, but I guess our great qualities are not worth their attentions after all. Well, don't worry, if we are DETERMINED, we'll get into the school of our choice. Just be patient. Good luck ok.

janbran said:
I'm not too sure about this, but I think it's the "overall GPA" . On their website, I think it's very misleading to list "2.8 GPA" as the minimum since that statement encouraged a lot of us to apply, especially those that are very motivated for the profession and have LOW GPA. I think that was why they got over 1800 applicants last year and AVD entering GPA is 3.70, even higher than UCSF. (Lets see: $100 X over 1800 applications = rich. You get the point). Well, I guess their definition of a good pharmacist is different from other institution. I spent a lot of times working on the essays, but I guess our great qualities are not worth their attentions after all. Well, don't worry, if we are DETERMINED, we'll get into the school of our choice. Just be patient. Good luck ok.

A lot of pharmacy schools list a lower minimum GPA than what is competitive. USN looks at mainly the overall AND pre-req GPA to get an interview. While in the interview, all of the other components of a great applicant come into play (motivation, leadership qualities, professionalism, effective oral communication and teamwork skills.) It is true that USN weighs GPA heavily, but I wouldn't say that it is the ONLY thing that they care about.

Smilescali said:
A lot of pharmacy schools list a lower minimum GPA than what is competitive. USN looks at mainly the overall AND pre-req GPA to get an interview. While in the interview, all of the other components of a great applicant come into play (motivation, leadership qualities, professionalism, effective oral communication and teamwork skills.) It is true that USN weighs GPA heavily, but I wouldn't say that it is the ONLY thing that they care about.

Well, I am sure in order to get an interview at USN, you need a high GPA, at least >3.50, unlike some other schools where you can get an interview with a lower GPA (<3.50). I'm just not sure how well-rounded of an individual USN looks for beside HIGH GPA. As for you smilescali, congratulation on your Jan interview at USN. I'm sure you'll do great. Let us know how it is.

janbran said:
Well, I am sure in order to get an interview at USN, you need a high GPA, at least >3.50, unlike some other schools where you can get an interview with a lower GPA (<3.50). I'm just not sure how well-rounded of an individual USN looks for beside HIGH GPA. As for you smilescali, congratulation on your Jan interview at USN. I'm sure you'll do great. Let us know how it is.

Thank you! I hope I do well in the interview. The interview is worth 40 points out of 100 total points. These points have nothing to do with your GPA. So, I guess you could say that USN places 60% on GPA and prior degress awarded (no PCAT) and 40% on other qualities that make a well-rounded candidate. :)