University of St. Augustine DPT interview/essay questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTkid101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I just received an interview for the Fall 2014 DPT class at San Marcos and i was wondering if you guys had any of the essay or interview topics that you would be willing to post to help us prepare! Please and thank you :)!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! For the essay I was asked about what makes a good PT, but there are other topics that you may get. The interview questions are pretty much what you may expect like why PT, why our school, etc. It's also a group interview so you'll have one or two applicants interviewing with you.

Reactions: 1 users
My essay question was "pros/cons of US Healthcare system." Interview questions were general and along the lines of what Bry PT said.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My essay question was "pros/cons of US Healthcare system." Interview questions were general and along the lines of what Bry PT said.
Thanks for your input guys so far! it's much appreciated :)

How I prepared for the interview was by typing in "St. Augustine interview" into the search bar on this forum and wrote down everything I could find from over the years in a little notebook. I ended up finding TONS of possible interview questions and essay questions, and felt 100% prepared on interview day! :)

My essay question was something like: why have you chosen this profession and who most influenced your decision to pursue it?

Good luck!

mine was something like "list three qualities you believe a therapist should possess and why". the interview day wasn't too intense and everyone was extremely nice. good luck!

mine was something like "list three qualities you believe a therapist should possess and why". the interview day wasn't too intense and everyone was extremely nice. good luck!

Do you happen to know how many the Florida campus interviews and how many they accept? It looks like there's only one interview date. Thanks!!

Do you happen to know how many the Florida campus interviews and how many they accept? It looks like there's only one interview date. Thanks!!

There were around 110-120 there for the summer interview session.
My interview essay was the same as they made you write on your application, what made you choose pt over other health care professions.
Like others said the interview was very relaxed, just be calm. Most of my questions were either why pt or how do you handle stress/ name a time you were placed in a stressful situation.
Also be prepared to interview in groups of 2 and 3.
Good luck!

There were around 80 PTs for the summer session. They accept around 50 I believe.

There were around 110-120 there for the summer interview session.
My interview essay was the same as they made you write on your application, what made you choose pt over other health care professions.
Like others said the interview was very relaxed, just be calm. Most of my questions were either why pt or how do you handle stress/ name a time you were placed in a stressful situation.
Also be prepared to interview in groups of 2 and 3.
Good luck!
Thank You!

Typically there are 50-55 DPTS and 20-25 OTs and about 5 dual students. There is only one interview day per trimester. The question I had to answer was, "How will you handle the demands of PT school?" I hope this helps.

Typically there are 50-55 DPTS and 20-25 OTs and about 5 dual students. There is only one interview day per trimester. The question I had to answer was, "How will you handle the demands of PT school?" I hope this helps.

It definitely helps! How many did they interview with you? It sounds like you got in...how do you like the program and the area?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how many applicants they interviewed. This was two years ago. Overall I like the program and I feel they prepare their students. I wish we spent more time in the clinic before we graduated. Saint Augustine is a comfortable place to live. There's hardly any traffic, the beach is only minutes away, it's warm most of the year, and it has almost all the services a large city has.

Here what I have used for my interview, these are series of questions that I have found from this forum. Hope this helps and Good Luck!

My Essay Question, " why do you want to become a PT and list 3 individuals who inspired you, be specific....something like this. Don't forget to prepare yourself regarding "healthcare issue" type of question.

Interview
professionalism is desired at this school so start off by dressing well, smiling, and trying to make good eye contact (the obvious stuff). But more than that, one of the interview questions asked was: what does professionalism mean to you? or something along those lines. The interview is done in a group, at mine their was one other applicant, a professor, and another part-time prof. who also was a local practitioner. The interviewers would take turns asking questions, and took turns in addressing myself or the other applicant. Here is a list of both questions asked in my interview, and potential questions asked by USA ad-com I gathered on this forum.

• Why do you want to be a PT?
  • Why did you choose to apply to our school?
  • What stands out to you about this program over others?
  • What did you like most about your observation hours? Least?
  • How will you handle the stress/course load of the program?
  • Name a time when you failed, how did you handle it?
  • Chunky or creamy peanut butter? Haha, they really asked me that!
  • what would you bring to a picnic?
  • What would I do if someone offered me a copy of an upcoming test?
  • what would you do if while attending PT school you caught a friend of yours cheating on an exam?
  • How would you feel if Government tried to pass a national anti-smoking law?
  • If you wanted to change someones opinion, what would you do?
  • What are some things that you have NOT liked in your volunteer/work experience in the PT field?
  • What is a time in your life that your integrity was challenged and you had to demonstrate leadership?
  • name a time you struggled and what you did to overcome it?
  • what was your most challenging course in school and how did you adapt to it?
  • Define integrity.
  • name a difficult situation and how you handled it
  • how do you handle stress and when do you know you are stressed
  • do you feel you lead a healthy lifestyle
  • what is a time when you changed your priorities/view points about something
  • what's your favorite food?
  • what was an obstacle in your life and how we overcame it?
  • what did we consider leadership and an example?
  • then we were given 3 scenarios one of us a had a patient who was a smoker..one was over weight..and one did not do home exercises and we had to reply with how we would approach the patient and help change their bad habits
  • finally what is one of our weaknesses?
  • Describe a current political issue in healthcare/physical therapy?
  • what about physical therapy interests you?
  • Do you work better in a group or by yourself and why?

They will probably not ask you these exact questions but you can get from this the type of questions they ask: how you handle stress, ethics, ability to reflect on past experiences and learn from them, some funny/light-hearted questions, stuff on the school, something about if you work well in a group, some questions just to get to know who you are, and why you are interested in PT.

Essay
You are assigned an essay statement or question and given some time to compose a response. You are given about 45 minutes I believe.My essay question was:what does the phrase "quality of life" mean to you, and how does it relate to healthcare. Other questions that I have gathered from this forum are:

• what is more important to you, the science or the art of physical therapy?
  • What have you done to demonstrate your commitment to pursuing a career in PT?
  • What is the most important quality for a PT to posses?
  • What do you think will be the biggest ethical question you face as a PT over the next decade?
  • what will you contribute to your fellow students?

Reactions: 14 users
Here what I have used for my interview, these are series of questions that I have found from this forum. Hope this helps and Good Luck!

My Essay Question, " why do you want to become a PT and list 3 individuals who inspired you, be specific....something like this. Don't forget to prepare yourself regarding "healthcare issue" type of question.

Interview
professionalism is desired at this school so start off by dressing well, smiling, and trying to make good eye contact (the obvious stuff). But more than that, one of the interview questions asked was: what does professionalism mean to you? or something along those lines. The interview is done in a group, at mine their was one other applicant, a professor, and another part-time prof. who also was a local practitioner. The interviewers would take turns asking questions, and took turns in addressing myself or the other applicant. Here is a list of both questions asked in my interview, and potential questions asked by USA ad-com I gathered on this forum.

• what would you do if while attending PT school you caught a friend of yours cheating on an exam?
  • What are some things that you have NOT liked in your volunteer/work experience in the PT field?
  • What is a time in your life that your integrity was challenged and you had to demonstrate leadership?
  • Define integrity.
  • then we were given 3 scenarios one of us a had a patient who was a smoker..one was over weight..and one did not do home exercises and we had to reply with how we would approach the patient and help change their bad habits

They will probably not ask you these exact questions but you can get from this the type of questions they ask: how you handle stress, ethics, ability to reflect on past experiences and learn from them, some funny/light-hearted questions, stuff on the school, something about if you work well in a group, some questions just to get to know who you are, and why you are interested in PT.

Essay
You are assigned an essay statement or question and given some time to compose a response. You are given about 45 minutes I believe.My essay question was:what does the phrase "quality of life" mean to you, and how does it relate to healthcare. Other questions that I have gathered from this forum are:

• What do you think will be the biggest ethical question you face as a PT over the next decade?

Thank you so much!!!!! This is so helpful wow thank you i appreciate it :)))

I interviewed in November for summer admission and my essay was "what are three advantages and disadvantages of our health care system today". Know the american care act for sure!
Their intro question was tel me about yourself (this is your time to showcase yourself and be excited). They asked what do you do to manage your time (since its an accelerated program), best/worst quality, one issue in our health care system today, etc.
Just be prepared and be happy/excited!
I got in, so you can do it too! It's your time to sell yourself!

Thanks for the great insight. Has anyone heard back about an interview for Fall 2014 at San Marcos? My application status still says I am undergoing a transcript review.

Thanks for the great insight. Has anyone heard back about an interview for Fall 2014 at San Marcos? My application status still says I am undergoing a transcript review.

Yeah I received an interview this past Friday to go to San Marcos. Some people have called admissions and they said that applications are still under review. What you should do is email Erika Forrest @ [email protected] and ask her to check up on your file or actually call them directly (the university) and ask to be transferred to their DPT program. Then check to see if they can update your file directly because that's what I did and they verified it and it was under admissions the next day.

Idk if they've sent out all the interviews yet because some say their application is still under review by the admissions for San Marcos. Sorry, I hope that helps!

Good luck

Thanks for the info. DPTkid were you applying for the regular or flex program?

Do you by chance know if these essays need to be written in 5 paragraph format?

Interview

• Define integrity.

Essay

Does anyone know on average how many people they invite for an interview for the regular DPT program and how many people they accept to their program?

Has anyone interviewed and received an acceptance for fall 2014 yet?

Interview

• Define integrity.

Essay

I was wondering, for the essay portion, are the essays suppose to be in a traditional 5 paragraph format for all essay responses?

I was wondering, for the essay portion, are the essays suppose to be in a traditional 5 paragraph format for all essay responses?

Their verbal instructions before essay writing, "This essay can be 10 paragraphs or 2 paragraphs. We just want you to coherently answer the question. There's no right or wrong answer to any of these prompts. Just let us know what you think."

Of course they would say this so generally, but I took the safe route and wrote a 5 paragraph essay in the 30 minutes they gave us. Having said that, I ended up getting denied for the summer 2014 program. Bummer. Maybe someone who was accepted could let us know what kind of essay they wrote

I dont really remember their instructions about essays, but I wrote a good 5 paragraphs with introduction, body paragraphs and conclusion type of style. But I agree with above post, you want to consider quality over quantity, at the same page you want to put your qualities in the plate. Good Luck! Shoot me any questions if you have!

I was just wondering if the interviewers asked any personal questions that was specific to your application. For example, to explain something you wrote in your personal statement or something similar. Thanks!

I was just wondering if the interviewers asked any personal questions that was specific to your application. For example, to explain something you wrote in your personal statement or something similar. Thanks!

I did not have any. I can see them asking you that on a 1 on 1 interview, but since my interview was 3 students, 1 current dpt student, and one dpt faculty they stuck to more broad, general questions.

I did not have any. I can see them asking you that on a 1 on 1 interview, but since my interview was 3 students, 1 current dpt student, and one dpt faculty they stuck to more broad, general questions.
That's interesting... Why do they ask a current DPT student to interview us???
I wonder how long were your application essays, guys? (Autobiography and statement of purpose.) Mine turned out to be longggg, about 2 pages, single-space each.

that's a big group!

@easb..mine was also as long.

That's interesting... Why do they ask a current DPT student to interview us???
I wonder how long were your application essays, guys? (Autobiography and statement of purpose.) Mine turned out to be longggg, about 2 pages, single-space each.

They probably ask DPT students to sit in the interviews to make the interviewees more comfortable since someone is somewhat young and your age. It's less intimidating. My interview for the summer was really laid back, jokes being thrown around and such, but then again I had Dr. Rot who was an awesome guy.

Autobiography was about a page and a half single spaced

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
When they ask in the essay section "What are advantages/disadvantages in the current healthcare system", are they referring to general issues or specific issues to PT?

When they ask in the essay section "What are advantages/disadvantages in the current healthcare system", are they referring to general issues or specific issues to PT?

I think that's up to you. They are looking for what you know, whether broad or specific. I made sure to look over issues regarding both aspects of healthcare, and tried my best to tie them both together into one coherent essay. Safe to just try to jam in both issues

Last edited:
I am in my first trimester at St. Augustine in Austin. I would say the interview questions listed above are many of the interview questions asked. I interviewed in sept 2013, and to prepare for the interview, I looked over the questions listed above, and I was asked most of those same questions. They like to ask you a lot of experience type questions so it helps to have a lot of experience as a tech/aide or volunteer to be able to answer the questions well. There were about 58 people at the interview, and 50 of us were accepted. I am not sure if there was more than 1 interview day because they never said. It was 2 to 3 people interviewing with 2 interviewers. My interview went for about 40 minutes. I was not surprised by any of the questions asked as the questions I got were straightforward. Be prepared to answer follow up questions based on the original responses you give to a question. I will say this...not sure what the most important factor was for getting accepted, but many of the people in my class had a ton of experience as a tech or aide, and many of us did not have the best of GPA's in undergrad. For me, my GPA's were about average I would say, my GRE was only a 297, but I had over 1500 hours of tech experience, and a volunteered in multiple settings. All the hours helped me to do really well in the interview. Overall though this is a great school, I like it a lot. Good luck to everyone interviewing at Austin next week!

thanks! How were the interviewers? Were they laid back or more intimidating.

I think it depends on who your interviewer is. There are several interviewers (professors, PT's from the community). Some are more serious than others, but all of them (at least the professors, since I never met any of the PT's from the community) are super nice. They all know that the interviewees are stressed out about the process, and they all do a good job at telling everyone to relax and not stress out, which helps you to feel more relaxed during the interview. Our interview day was spread out into 3 separate parts. We had the interview (about 40 minutes long), a tour of the one building at Austin (although another building is being built right now), and the essay question (I believe we were given 30 minutes for the essay question). I actually don't think I did well on my essay question during the interview. I know I didn't have a conclusion since I did not have enough time to finish it. I actually liked that there for 2 to 3 people in the interview because, at least for me, I was interviewing with one other applicant, and we were both asked the same exact questions, but we were allowed to choose who answered the question first. So if the other applicant answered first, it gave you time to think about how you want to answer the same question. Or if you knew how you wanted to answer the question right away, you could choose to go first. The interviewers took notes on the answers we gave, but do not let this make you more nervous.
The few interview questions I remember getting were why do you want to be a PT? What do you do to relieve stress? Difficult obstacle you overcame? A lot of questions where you draw on your experiences with patients. They were all pretty straightforward though. Good luck!

I was not asked any interview questions based on anything on my application. the interviewers specifically said that they did not have our applications in front of them or have anything about our application written down during the interview. Hope this answers your question from above.

thanks! How were the interviewers? Were they laid back or more intimidating.

I agree with the comments above. The interview is super laid back and did range with the questions that were listed above. The essay portion is what other people had more trouble with. Mine was "talk about past experience that allowed you to prepare to deal with diverse settings and patients as a future PT (bascially talk about your experience) but some others had "advantage/disadvantage of current healthcare system" or "why PT over other health professions"

If you have any specific questions, just message me. I interviewed at the San Marcos campus

Has anyone heard back yet after the interviews?

Has anyone heard back yet after the interviews?

I am wondering the same question. If anyone who had an interview especially for the San Marcos campus, if they heard anything back..? Normally from past post people said they heard back within a week, although the University say it takes 3 weeks. =/

I am wondering the same question. If anyone who had an interview especially for the San Marcos campus, if they heard anything back..? Normally from past post people said they heard back within a week, although the University say it takes 3 weeks. =/

According to "NewTestament" from previous posts, we should probably hear back this week if we got in! I'm pretty nervous right now, but gotta take it one day at a time. They probably just took a whole week to look over all the applications and interview results?

Let's all keep each other posted on any acceptances this coming week on this thread!

JUST GOT ACCEPTED INTO THE SAN MARCOS CAMPUS! The notification comes up in the portal it says "you have been accepted"

For anyone who was accepted into the Florida campus there is a fb group created for all of us! USA DPT Fall 2014-Florida campus

Hello. I am currently applying for DPT schools and am not sure what to put in a resume required for the school. Just anyone had an example of a resume they used or can give me some pointers on how to create one?

Thank you.

Hello. I am currently applying for DPT schools and am not sure what to put in a resume required for the school. Just anyone had an example of a resume they used or can give me some pointers on how to create one?

Thank you.
I just used a standard Summary, work experience, volunteer experience, and education. There are plenty of good resume templates to use on Microsoft Word. Hope that helps!

Interview

• Define integrity.

Essay

Can you tell me when and where you interviewed? I have been on other forum discussions on this site and have seen more recent posts that they no longer do the essay portion of the interview. That was for the Austin campus I believe, and I am looking into the St. Augustine campus.

Can you tell me when and where you interviewed? I have been on other forum discussions on this site and have seen more recent posts that they no longer do the essay portion of the interview. That was for the Austin campus I believe, and I am looking into the St. Augustine campus.
hey bathers2.
Where did you here that there wasn't an essay at Austin? I have an interview there next week. I've been mentally preparing for an essay but it is nice to hear that may not be the case!