University of St. Augustine - GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afred007

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about applying for PT school at the Univeristy of St. Augustine OR UNF and I have a question concerning my past GPA. My undergrad is in Exercise Science and my GPA is a 2.89. Yes, it's not exactly Honor Roll type, but there are reasons. At the time, I got married and moved to a new state because my husband was in the military. While we were there, he was deployed 3 different times, my dad was killed tragically in a car accident while my husband was deployed, and later my mom developed breast cancer and had to get chemo and radiation treatment. I struggeled keeping my GPA even that high, while I was working part time and making frequent trips back home to take care of her. I will complete my Master's Degree this November in Human Movement (before I apply to PT school) and my current GPA is 3.7. All I have are two classes left to take after this semester so my GPA should not change. Also, I have 7 years of personal training experience working with post-rehab clients. Along with my CPT, I have a Pilates and Yoga certfication. I have a minor in Military Leadership and I have served in the Army National Guard as a Medical Service Officer for 7 years. If I do get into PT school, I later plan on continuing my commitment with the Army and working as a therapist active duty.

With me having a couple of C's in some of the pre-req classes, and a B- in one, with you just knowing that little bit of info, what are my chances of even being considered? All of my pre-req's are with my A.S. and B.S. degree and not my Master's degree which is where I have a really good GPA (oddly enough). From your experience of applying to DPT programs, what do you think?

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you kidding? You have a great chance. They will take all of that into consideration. Just get an interview and explain it to them. Do good on the GRE. They'll see that you can finish a graduate pogram thats a plus, and I think UNF's application packet asks if you are a veteran. I think you can put National Guard, right????? Well, thats a plus too, and all that experience. And yeah, let them pay your loans. And I had a friend who was accepted into UNF's program. Her UNDERGRAD gpa was like 3.7-3.8, but her GRE was a 980, taken three times and it was her highest.

On a side note, a 2.89, how'd you get into grad school? JK. Don't get mad at me if you dont get in though.

Yup, I'm bitter.

I actually spoke to an admissions rep from USA today and they said that I do NOT need to take the GRE since I already have my Master's in Human Movement. That was nice to hear!

You asked how I got into Grad school. I had to explain my situation (as I mentioned above) in a statement and they let me in. The school that I attended did not require a GRE at the time, but you had to have a B.S. in athletic training or exercise science field.

Still waiting to hear back from USA regarding my undergrad pre-reqs. I forwarded them a copy of my Unofficial Transcripts from my B.S. and M.S to get them to review it before I waste my time putting a packet together. Keep your fingers crossed!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Afred007,
Di you have an answer back from USA? I am planning to apply but still working on my Masters degree ,so I dont have to take the GRE.
Please let me know.It would be great to know some info about if you got in or not,since my situation is kind of similar to yours(low gpa's..etc)
Thanks
MdLiLi:)

afred007 -

It sounds like you have some legit reasons for the low undergrad GPA, but I wouldn't list off all those reasons it just makes it sound like you're making excuses. Everyone has difficulties with school, so your situation isn't really that unique in the eyes of an admissions committee. I would just focus on you're positive stats, not your low undergrad gpa should you get an interview