Program-Specific Info / Q's University of St. Augustine VS Florida International University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreambigOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!
I have applied to various FL OT schools. Accepted to FIU and have an interview with USA at the end of the week. I wanted insight from current students about either program or anything anybody else might know from friends. Just trying to decide whether to keep pursuing USA now that I got accepted to FIU. FIU is close to home and easier on the finances, however, have heard of certain internal administrative issues. If anyone can clear any of these thoughts up, it'll be very much appreciated!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys!
I have applied to various FL OT schools. Accepted to FIU and have an interview with USA at the end of the week. I wanted insight from current students about either program or anything anybody else might know from friends. Just trying to decide whether to keep pursuing USA now that I got accepted to FIU. FIU is close to home and easier on the finances, however, have heard of certain internal administrative issues. If anyone can clear any of these thoughts up, it'll be very much appreciated!!! :)

USA OT in FL is going through a curriculum change. It might of already started. Admin is organized.

If FIU has been around for a bit I would go there if it makes financial sense. I don't know much about FIU.

Hi guys!

What have you heard about the FIU administration? I got accepted as well and haven't heard much about the program. I shadowed a few therapists that went to USA. They were very knowledgeable and helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
USA OT in FL is going through a curriculum change. It might of already started. Admin is organized.

If FIU has been around for a bit I would go there if it makes financial sense. I don't know much about FIU.

Thank you! Curriculum change, I'm assuming for the better? It's good to the know the admin is organized about it.

What have you heard about the FIU administration? I got accepted as well and haven't heard much about the program. I shadowed a few therapists that went to USA. They were very knowledgeable and helpful!

Is FIU where you will you be attending in the Fall? I don't know specifics but a student who just graduated from there said there were many changes being made that were not beneficial to the students. I'm not sure what she meant by that, which is why I was wondering if anybody on here had any idea on what is going on. I was looking into the passing rates of the NBCOT from both schools and USA has had a 99% passing rate for the last 3 years, whereas FIU bounces between 94-96% passing rate.

Thank you! Curriculum change, I'm assuming for the better? It's good to the know the admin is organized about it.

Yeah probably. Its more OT focused from what I read. This is the 1st semester it is being implemented.

Is FIU where you will you be attending in the Fall? I don't know specifics but a student who just graduated from there said there were many changes being made that were not beneficial to the students. I'm not sure what she meant by that, which is why I was wondering if anybody on here had any idea on what is going on. I was looking into the passing rates of the NBCOT from both schools and USA has had a 99% passing rate for the last 3 years, whereas FIU bounces between 94-96% passing rate.

I'm still deciding! I got accepted there, FGCU, and an out of state school. I'm just not sure about moving to Miami and need to do more research on the program. That's interesting to know though. An OT student from FIU spoke at a SOTA meeting I went to and she seemed to like the program, but that was a while back. I'll try to ask around and see if I can find out more info!